COVID-19 Surging Across Europe

Ride-The-Waves

17 hours ago, nocl said:

Because they do not know any better, but hopefully they will get educated and learn why wearing one properly is important.

If only that was truly the reason.  Anyone who does not know any better by now (speaking of older children up to adults) either has been locked in a closet for 10 months, or is just not willing to accept what the scientific experts are saying.  They think they know better.  Or they are total jerks and just don't care.  Unfortunately, there are just too many out there that fit in one or both of these categories,  

• Like 8

On 11/4/2020 at 6:01 PM, emmas gran said:

I am so glad it’s not just me who gets annoyed with these Covidiots.
Also read that people can get an exemption card if they have medical conditions, 

however these cards are now for sale on EBay.

Liz

If you cant wear a mask, don't go out - simple! Get someone to do your shopping for you.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

If you cant wear a mask, don't go out - simple! Get someone to do your shopping for you.

Unfortunately, as hard as that is for people who honestly can't wear one, it makes sense.  Your primary reason for wearing a mask is to protect others.  If you happen to have some kind of valid reason you can't wear a mask unfortunately that still holds true.  Others should not have their lives literally put at risk because you have a problem.  The needs of the many must outweigh the needs of the few or the one (I learned that on Star Trek LOL, but it is very true).  I feel bad for people in this situation, but from what I have researched there are truly very few people who absolutely cannot wear masks, even those with breathing problems.  Not saying no one - but almost everyone can find a mask that is wearable.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Unfortunately, as hard as that is for people who honestly can't wear one, it makes sense.  Your primary reason for wearing a mask is to protect others.  If you happen to have some kind of valid reason you can't wear a mask unfortunately that still holds true.  Others should not have their lives literally put at risk because you have a problem.  The needs of the many must outweigh the needs of the few or the one (I learned that on Star Trek LOL, but it is very true).  I feel bad for people in this situation, but from what I have researched there are truly very few people who absolutely cannot wear masks, even those with breathing problems.  Not saying no one - but almost everyone can find a mask that is wearable.

While that was the thought a couple of months back, data indicates that it also offers the wearer some protection in both preventing infection, and in reducing the amount of virus received in it crosses the infection threshold which data is starting to indicate may result in less severe illness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nocl said:

While that was the thought a couple of months back, data indicates that it also offers the wearer some protection in both preventing infection, and in reducing the amount of virus received in it crosses the infection threshold which data is starting to indicate may result in less severe illness.

Agreed

Made our change from Cape Cod, Ma to our Naples Fl home a week ago.  My eyes are wide open.  It’s a 180 on what people are doing.  I have asthma, controlled with a steroid inhaler, and can wear a mask and sometimes doubled masks.  Went to my favorite grocery store in Naples this morning at 7:45 am and the first person I saw as I entered was the guy who is our next door neighbor without a mask.  Didn’t bother to say hello.

• Like 2

I'm a bit aghast at the almost exponential increase in COVID-19 cases in the US, yesterday 116,707 new cases up from the previous high of 107,000.  Scary.  And, three days of over 1,000 related deaths.  The trend doesn't portend well for cruising in the near or even foreseeable future.  Winter in the US (and most of Europe) looks to be really rough, sadly.  Wear your masks, limit trips and have concern for your fellow human.  Please!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oville said:

Made our change from Cape Cod, Ma to our Naples Fl home a week ago.  My eyes are wide open.  It’s a 180 on what people are doing.  I have asthma, controlled with a steroid inhaler, and can wear a mask and sometimes doubled masks.  Went to my favorite grocery store in Naples this morning at 7:45 am and the first person I saw as I entered was the guy who is our next door neighbor without a mask.  Didn’t bother to say hello.

Glad you made it down okay. Sorry to hear your  early experience in Naples was not good.   We are fine..so far but things are relaxing a bit too soon everywhere,  in our opinion,

We are heading to Venice shortly..  and taking a chance by flying.

We hear there is mostly  good compliance down there... but we plan to lay low just like we have been doing in NY,   Maybe we can get together for outdoor distanced dining....we'll be in touch.

Everyone.. please stay safe and be considerate of others!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oville said:

Do you think it would have been safer to stay in Cape Cod?

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

Glad you made it down okay. Sorry to hear your  early experience in Naples was not good.   We are fine..so far but things are relaxing a bit too soon everywhere,  in our opinion,

We hear there is mostly  good compliance down there... but we plan to lay low just like we have been doing in NY,   Maybe we can get together for outdoor distanced dining....we'll be in touch.

Are Americans allowed into Venice ? 

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

I'm a bit aghast at the almost exponential increase in COVID-19 cases in the US, yesterday 116,707 new cases up from the previous high of 107,000.  Scary.  And, three days of over 1,000 related deaths.  The trend doesn't portend well for cruising in the near or even foreseeable future.  Winter in the US (and most of Europe) looks to be really rough, sadly.  Wear your masks, limit trips and have concern for your fellow human.  Please!

Agree that this is an escalating situation in the US and worldwide.  Yes very concerning and scary.  In this situation cruising should be far down on our list of worries.  Be safe everybody.

"TUI Cruises will suspend the operations of the Mein Schiff 6 in Greece, following a new Greek lockdown to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

TUI said it will run one last cruise from Corfu, without port stops, and featuring all sea days, before suspending service for the rest of the month.

"The Greek government yesterday announced a corona-related lockdown that will take effect on Saturday, November 7," TUI said, in a statement.

"As a result of the short-term nature and on the basis of our hygiene and health concept, we have received a special permit to carry out the trip to Greece from November 8 to 14 as a blue trip without shore excursions. Unfortunately, with a heavy heart, we have to cancel the other planned cruises to Greece that start on November 14th, 21st and 28th."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23827-tui-cancels-mein-schiff-6-program-in-greece.html

"Citing new measures enacted by the Greek government in response to the number of coronavirus cases that impose restrictions on travel, Costa Cruises today announced the temporary suspension of Costa Deliziosa cruises to Greece, in a press release.

The Costa Deliziosa – which is offering one-week cruises calling at Trieste, Katakolon, Athens, Iraklion, Bari – will end her cruise currently underway on Nov. 7, in Trieste. The ship will then pause operations for seven weeks, canceling the Nov. 7, 14, 21 and 28, and Dec. 5, 12 and 19 cruises.

The resumption operations for the ship is scheduled for Dec. 26 with an Italian itinerary calling in Trieste, Bari, Brindisi and Catania. More destinations will be added in the coming weeks, the company said.

"Costa Cruises' highest responsibility and top priorities are compliance, environmental protection and the health, safety and well-being of its guests, crew, shoreside employees, and the people and communities its ships visit – and that commitment is reflected in the decision to temporarily pause Costa Deliziosa cruise operations in Greece," said a statement from the brand".

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23826-costa-suspends-cruises-aboard-deliziosa-to-greece.html

Edited by SeaHunt
added info
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

"TUI Cruises will suspend the operations of the Mein Schiff 6 in Greece, following a new Greek lockdown to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

TUI said it will run one last cruise from Corfu, without port stops, and featuring all sea days, before suspending service for the rest of the month.

"The Greek government yesterday announced a corona-related lockdown that will take effect on Saturday, November 7," TUI said, in a statement.

"As a result of the short-term nature and on the basis of our hygiene and health concept, we have received a special permit to carry out the trip to Greece from November 8 to 14 as a blue trip without shore excursions. Unfortunately, with a heavy heart, we have to cancel the other planned cruises to Greece that start on November 14th, 21st and 28th."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23827-tui-cancels-mein-schiff-6-program-in-greece.html

"Citing new measures enacted by the Greek government in response to the number of coronavirus cases that impose restrictions on travel, Costa Cruises today announced the temporary suspension of Costa Deliziosa cruises to Greece, in a press release.

The Costa Deliziosa – which is offering one-week cruises calling at Trieste, Katakolon, Athens, Iraklion, Bari – will end her cruise currently underway on Nov. 7, in Trieste. The ship will then pause operations for seven weeks, canceling the Nov. 7, 14, 21 and 28, and Dec. 5, 12 and 19 cruises.

The resumption operations for the ship is scheduled for Dec. 26 with an Italian itinerary calling in Trieste, Bari, Brindisi and Catania. More destinations will be added in the coming weeks, the company said.

"Costa Cruises' highest responsibility and top priorities are compliance, environmental protection and the health, safety and well-being of its guests, crew, shoreside employees, and the people and communities its ships visit – and that commitment is reflected in the decision to temporarily pause Costa Deliziosa cruise operations in Greece," said a statement from the brand".

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23826-costa-suspends-cruises-aboard-deliziosa-to-greece.html

the rising cases in Europe has pretty much shut down cruising there again.

Not a good sign for startups in the US.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oville said:

Oh the Horror!!!

As infection rise in Europe we are seeing leadership make difficult decisions.  Culling 15million minks in Denmark, the whole industry, is serious.  Apparently minks were infected from human, the vuri=us mutated and pumped back to humans infecting 12 people with a new strain offering fear that current proposed vaccines could be ineffective.  All cruising, which had restarted carefully, is being shut down.  France recorded a new daily high and the UK is heading for a near total lockdown.  The virus is raging in Latin America which now counts for 1 in 3 COVID-19 deaths.  

This pandemic needs to be attacked like the Manhattan Project with as unlimited resources as can be made available.  Difficult to believe that its only been 9 months since this first started...and we are still falling behind.  Wear your PPE and stay safe.  With the US election taking front stage in many countries the virus is being relegated to the second page.  We can't let that happen!

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hcat said:

Safe travels.🛫  Let’s us know when you are back.  FL is a bit of a mess with Covid right now but hopefully we can get together.

9 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

All cruising, which had restarted carefully, is being shut down.

Not all! At least not yet..

TUI Cruises are still cruising in the Canary Islands.

Their cruises out of Kiel, Germany first continued but now stopped due to reasons of, let’s say, legal equality. Hotels on land had to close and ships could still sail. The hotel owners on land didn’t really like that.

MSC is still cruising in the Med (Italy).

Aida, Costa, river cruises etc. stopped sailing.

So saying ALL cruising is being shut down is not quite correct... YET!

I would not be surprised that this will become a fact within a short period of time.

We canceled our xmas cruise with MSC last week. They wouldn’t let us cancel for free at first saying there’s no travel warning. I sent them the link to the official travel warning for Italy of the German state department and haven’t heard since... 

2 hours ago, Oville said:

FL is a bit of a mess with Covid right now but hopefully we can get together.

Amen to both!

We have decided (quite a while ago) not to spend the holidays in Sunny Isles this year but to stay in Germany/Europe. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Covidiotic reaction!!!

CDC has said need 20-30 minutes of very close contact to get the virus from others...I deal in facts....walking by someone without a mask on is no reason to panic and be rude to your neighbors, yet here are on the edge.

I wish I was on The Edge right now... 🙂

31 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

CDC has said need 20-30 minutes of very close contact to get the virus from others...I deal in facts....walking by someone without a mask on is no reason to panic and be rude to your neighbors, yet here are on the edge.

I wish I was on The Edge right now... 🙂

Actually, CDC said:

Close contact is defined by CDC as someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 2 days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic clients, 2 days prior to positive specimen collection) until the time the patient is isolated.

The World Health Organization (WHO) additionally includes persons with direct physical contact with a probable or confirmed case, direct care for a patient with probable or confirmed COVID-19 disease without using proper personal, and other situations as indicated by local risk assessments.

The virus is primarily transmitted via "water" droplets in exhaled breath.  The reason masks are effective is they catch the droplets and not the virus itself - too small.  Touching and hugging enhance the transmissibility.  

Being in a closed room with people who have underlying health issues and breathing the same air provides for virus transmission.  We have seen that at recent White House gatherings.  

Stay safe.  Better: keep others safe.  Use PPE and social distancing.  132,797 Covid-19 infections in the US on 6 November.  50Million cases world wide and more than 1.25Million deaths.  

As Yogi said:  It ain't over until its over.  We, together, have a long way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

CDC has said need 20-30 minutes of very close contact to get the virus from others...I deal in facts....🙂

Not sure which "CDC" you're referring to - but it certainly aint the US Centers for disease control and prevention.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

COVID-19 spreads easily from person to person, mainly by the following routes:

• Between people who are in close contact with one another (within 6 feet).
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, breathes, sings or talks.

They clearly state you can get it from the above - none of which you have to wait "20-30 mins" for.

As a result, they state"

"Everyone should wear a mask in public settings and when around people who don’t live in your household, especially when other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain."

The facts are blatantly clear - and not what you're dealing in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Not sure which "CDC" you're referring to - but it certainly aint the US Centers for disease control and prevention.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

COVID-19 spreads easily from person to person, mainly by the following routes:

• Between people who are in close contact with one another (within 6 feet).
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, breathes, sings or talks.

They clearly state you can get it from the above - none of which you have to wait "20-30 mins" for.

As a result, they state"

"Everyone should wear a mask in public settings and when around people who don’t live in your household, especially when other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain."

The facts are blatantly clear - and not what you're dealing in.

Which makes cruise ships perfect breeding grounds and so difficult to mitigate for COVID-19 transmission.  Dining venues, bars, loungers especially in enclosed spaces, spas, gyms, theaters, shops, even hallways passing another passenger or staff.