The Daily for Monday Nov 2, 2020

richwmn

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Well, he might be that, too. But we are better off not knowing.

🌺Again another spelling error🙄 I will blame 

no one but myself! BUT IN MY DEFENSE MY EYES ARE SWOLLEN. LOL. Enough said. Thanks for pointing it out Ann😊

Sorry Roy

Denise😢

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful Trader Joe's to shop at and we usually get produce from Mexico, California, and even some areas of Arizona.  It is so normal for our TJ's to have heirloom tomatoes that I don't think about other areas not even having them.  Some items are very seasonal though, like Meyer lemons.  I wish I could buy Meyer lemons all year round.

Sharon, though not quite the same as fresh-picked, my Meyer lemon tree produces enough fruit to to supply my neighbors with a bunch and then I juice & zest the rest.

In fact, I will be thawing a bag of juice & some zest for a Meyer lemon, pecan-crust pie for Thanksgiving. And I just made a new pitcher of lemonade this past weekend. I see Meyer lemon-drop martinis in my future.🍸

Would a tree grow well in your climate? Mine is a slow-growing tree that might reach 15 feet in 20 years. It is currently 5 feet tall and bore 136 lemons the size of my fist in January!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

no one but myself! BUT IN MY DEFENSE MY EYES ARE SWOLLEN. LOL. Enough said. Thanks for pointing it out Ann😊

Sorry Roy

Denise😢

Deeni, had you not told me, I would never have known.🌺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Greetings everyone.   I realized that my last couple of posts were alcoholic beverages and decided I needed to go back to scenery and landscape.   Although if Covid continues on too much longer I may take advantage of a delivery service from a local wine shop.  

The pictures below are from today's hike.   We started at 10:30 and stopped at 12:30 to get some take out but since no one else was in the restaurant, we ate there.   What  great day.  

61A01EB5-8113-4FFB-AF81-81679D12F15F.JPG

600BA08F-333D-4D8D-99D9-C55534D574FD.JPG

• Like 14

Good afternoon all!  I'm a bit late today, I had to take advantage of the last sunshine we'll have until late this week.  Now we're waiting for the plumber - one thing after another - but our house is getting a lot of attention while we're house-bound.  Nothing has been serious so far, hoping this isn't either.

I do love deviled eggs.  My sister makes the best, she always brings them to family gatherings.  Cookie Monster is adorable, but this made me remember a cookie recipe I have called Monster Cookies.  As I remember it, it has a bit of everything -- chocolate chips, peanut butter, and M&Ms!  

Debbie those photos are gorgeous!  It looks like you're still having pretty mild weather?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Sorry Roy

Denise😢

Oh jeez Deeni. That was so darn funny! Roy will appreciate the humor.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Greetings everyone.   I realized that my last couple of posts were alcoholic beverages and decided I needed to go back to scenery and landscape.   Although if Covid continues on too much longer I may take advantage of a delivery service from a local wine shop.  

The pictures below are from today's hike.   We started at 10:30 and stopped at 12:30 to get some take out but since no one else was in the restaurant, we ate there.   What  great day.  

61A01EB5-8113-4FFB-AF81-81679D12F15F.JPG

600BA08F-333D-4D8D-99D9-C55534D574FD.JPG

Looks like a nice and serene place to take a walk.  😎

Nice you could eat in at the restaurant instead of take out, but sad when you think of how much business these places would have had in "normal" times.  I don't know how they stay in business.

• Like 4

Good afternoon everyone.  Read part of this thread earlier before heading out side to wash the motorhome and car followed by a little tree trimming so I could get the trimmings in the trash for tomorrow.

Cookie Monster is a muppet after my own heart.  It’s a good thing we don’t have cookies around here all the time.

Deviled eggs are a favorite around hear, so I plan to make some tonight for tomorrow’s dinner.  Tonight we are going with pasta, Italian sausage and garlic bread.  Of course, there will also be wine on the table, plus some for the cook while in the kitchen.

I have only made HH once, and it was the cheese and hamburger one.  It was not a hit with the family.😪

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie those photos are gorgeous!  It looks like you're still having pretty mild weather?

We did have snow overnight, but it had all melted by the time we set out to hike.   It is warming up this week and we'll hit 70 by the end of the week.   

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Looks like a nice and serene place to take a walk.  😎

Nice you could eat in at the restaurant instead of take out, but sad when you think of how much business these places would have had in "normal" times.  I don't know how they stay in business.

The trail is part of the hike and bike trail system that goes through several counties and connects towns in between.   Where we hiked today is actually all in the city of Kent.   It is easy to get to and enjoy.  Kent also has a very active environmental council that pushes for these resources.   We are also fortunate to have the Cuyahoga National Park nearby with tons of hiking trails that stretch from Cleveland down to Akron.   We very much enjoy and appreciate our green belt.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

We did have snow overnight, but it had all melted by the time we set out to hike.   It is warming up this week and we'll hit 70 by the end of the week.   

The trail is part of the hike and bike trail system that goes through several counties and connects towns in between.   Where we hiked today is actually all in the city of Kent.   It is easy to get to and enjoy.  Kent also has a very active environmental council that pushes for these resources.   We are also fortunate to have the Cuyahoga National Park nearby with tons of hiking trails that stretch from Cleveland down to Akron.   We very much enjoy and appreciate our green belt.  

How lucky, Debbie!

It is one of the reasons I love my home - I am surrounded by state  parks. And some amazing National Parks just a short drive away.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

my Meyer lemon tree produces enough fruit to to supply my neighbors with a bunch and then I juice & zest the rest.

I am so jealous but our climate is what it is.

Sounds absolutely wonderful 😄 

• Like 3

And it is snowing 😭 or half ice.  I know it will melt but sheesh.  We were supposed to have a nice fall and a long wait for winter 😱. So much for the weatherman.  I don’t know any other job where you can be wrong most of the time and still keep you job.

And our linden still hasn’t dropped all of it’s leaves GRRR

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Sharon, though not quite the same as fresh-picked, my Meyer lemon tree produces enough fruit to to supply my neighbors with a bunch and then I juice & zest the rest.

In fact, I will be thawing a bag of juice & some zest for a Meyer lemon, pecan-crust pie for Thanksgiving. And I just made a new pitcher of lemonade this past weekend. I see Meyer lemon-drop martinis in my future.🍸

Would a tree grow well in your climate? Mine is a slow-growing tree that might reach 15 feet in 20 years. It is currently 5 feet tall and bore 136 lemons the size of my fist in January!

Wow, so jealous here!  Yes, lemon trees do well here, in fact we had a lemon tree in our back yard when we moved in but took it out when we added the pool. Now there is no room for a tree because the pool is almost the entire backyard. I might do some research and see if they do well as potted plants.  I just absolutely love the flavor of Meyer lemons. How do you freeze your zest?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Cookie Monster is adorable, but this made me remember a cookie recipe I have called Monster Cookies.  As I remember it, it has a bit of everything -- chocolate chips, peanut butter, and M&Ms!  

I have a recipe for Monster Cookies too. Yes, oats, chocolate chips, peanut butter, M&Ms with no flour. My recipe is for a huge amount and only make them at Christmas. It’s a day long project, sometimes two days. I give away to family and freeze the rest. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I have a recipe for Monster Cookies too. Yes, oats, chocolate chips, peanut butter, M&Ms with no flour. My recipe is for a huge amount and only make them at Christmas. It’s a day long project, sometimes two days. I give away to family and freeze the rest. 

That's the one!  I haven't made them in so long I couldn't remember if they had oats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I am so jealous but our climate is what it is.

Sounds absolutely wonderful 😄 

But, Jacqui, you have flowers I can only dream of.  It is wonderful, but I have to guard it faithfully from deer. It is so worth it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

And it is snowing 😭 or half ice.  I know it will melt but sheesh.  We were supposed to have a nice fall and a long wait for winter 😱. So much for the weatherman.  I don’t know any other job where you can be wrong most of the time and still keep you job.

And our linden still hasn’t dropped all of it’s leaves GRRR

It is 2020 for them, too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wow, so jealous here!  Yes, lemon trees do well here, in fact we had a lemon tree in our back yard when we moved in but took it out when we added the pool. Now there is no room for a tree because the pool is almost the entire backyard. I might do some research and see if they do well as potted plants.  I just absolutely love the flavor of Meyer lemons. How do you freeze your zest?

We have a small / miniature Meyer. It started out in a pot but we ended up planting it in one of the planters that line our lawn. That was some 35 years ago. It had a tremendous number of fruit last season and a ton of sets when we had it trimmed. It had a growth spurt last season and a few branches got to 6 feet. It’s now back to 4 foot, but the cost was a loss of much of this season’s fruit.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good luck with your research! Who knows, they might have dwarf Meyer lemon trees that would be perfect for a pot. Regular lemon trees do not do well where I live, because we actually have a winter here. It usually only lasts 10 - 14 days, but.... 

I spread the zest out as much as possible on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet, and then pop it into the freezer for at least 20 minutes. Then it is usually frozen enough to stay somewhat separated, when I put it into a ziploc bag.

I will confess that near the end, I only zested the perfect lemons. Boy did my hands ache after that marathon. But I am literally enjoying the fruits of my labors - pun intended.

• Like 2

Good news from this neck of the woods: The Silverado fire is reported to be 93% contained and the Blue Ridge Fire is at 88% contained. There isn’t enough smoke now to see where either is burning.  Looking across the valley from our church on Saturday you could see definite burned areas (scorched black) following the ridges of the hills and coming close to people’s yards.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

But, Jacqui, you have flowers I can only dream of.  It is wonderful, but I have to guard it faithfully from deer. It is so worth it.

you mean the ones now asleep in the garden or the bulbs drying in the house?  LOL.

I thank you for the kind words but our season is SO short.  It’s sad.

Mine are guarded from the deer other than few small ones and it appears I am losing that battle.  And you are right it is so worth it to guard them.

• Like 3