Term "BLOCKS ARE IN THE HOUSE"

peteryan

26 minutes ago, peteryan said:

Does this mean bookings are available on that ship?  Sorry for the noob question, but hey, I am a noob.

Ships are built in "blocks" or sections which is where the term comes from.  The blocks are delivered to the ship yard to be welded together.  Interiors are also delivered in blocks as they are built elsewhere.  Sections of cabins, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I'm always fascinated to see the number of replies that these postings generate.  

Why is this such a big deal?

Because people (new cruisers) want to understand the unique language of cruising. Why is it such a big deal to you that people

like to indulge and welcome them?

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I'm always fascinated to see the number of replies that these postings generate.  

Caused by total Pandemic Boredom. Nothing to do no where to go and Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney channel void of new offerings.  Even keeping a troll post in motion serves up a little variety. Kudos to the person who set up the Just a little Humor post. 

image.png.2c6fb2d0739d0646611ba4f88f7c5c89.png

28 minutes ago, yogimax said:

So a new member sees something foreign, asks a simple question, gets friendly answers. 

What's the issue

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

So a new member sees something foreign, asks a simple question, gets friendly answers. 

What's the issue

Lol I'm not even new and didnt know, thought maybe those threads meant new crystal blocks for new ships you could now earn. 

I read it to find out what it meant. People forget not everyone is only a diehard rcl cruiser. The only blocks I'd seen discussed here were those crystal blocks. Glad he asked. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, peteryan said:

Does this mean bookings are available on that ship?  Sorry for the noob question, but hey, I am a noob.

Keep asking your questions and @BND defined it best.

Actually it's quite refreshing to see a non-Covid related question being asked on these boards 🙂 We all tend to forget we were all once "new" members. 

Edited by Liverpoolfan181
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, peteryan said:

Well welcome to CC and fellow noob 🙂 I thought it was the start of the building a ship where  timber blocks are set out in the ship yard to hold up the steel sheets for welding together into what are also called "blocks"" 

https://www.centralindustrygroup.com/shipbuilding1/blockshull-fabrication

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Because people (new cruisers) want to understand the unique language of cruising. Why is it such a big deal to you that people

like to indulge and welcome them?

I could be wrong, but the way I read his question/answer he was refering to the actual threads such as Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the house. I have seen these threads which can be very long and I don't see the fascination with it either, but that's just me. There are many others who enjoy watching them being built. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watson50 said:

hi everybody. in response to the op question, could it also mean sections of cabins {blocks} are being offered to TA's for future bookings? and it is also correct that ships are built in blocks.👍

No.  Read the rest of the replies.  The ships are built in sections.  Steel is cut, welded together to form walls, beams and other hull sections, those sections are assembled into blocks, which are sometimes put together into "mega blocks".

Honestly, if you look at the thread it will have pictures and sometimes videos of the blocks arriving at the shipyard.  Also, in at least one of the recent ones (don't recall if it was the Wonder or the Odyssey thread) this was also asked and answered...

This video should cover it -

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hallux said:

No.  Read the rest of the replies.  The ships are built in sections.  Steel is cut, welded together to form walls, beams and other hull sections, those sections are assembled into blocks, which are sometimes put together into "mega blocks".

Honestly, if you look at the thread it will have pictures and sometimes videos of the blocks arriving at the shipyard.  Also, in at least one of the recent ones (don't recall if it was the Wonder or the Odyssey thread) this was also asked and answered...

This video should cover it -

That’s an excellent video 

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

I could be wrong, but the way I read his question/answer he was refering to the actual threads such as Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the house. I have seen these threads which can be very long and I don't see the fascination with it either, but that's just me. There are many others who enjoy watching them being built. 

Thank you Renee!  Yes, My comment was on the very long threads and not in regard to the OP.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What's the issue

Geesh, the issue has nothing to do with a good question from the OP, but with the exceeding long threads that often develop with titles...  "______ blocks are in the house."

What's your issue?

1 hour ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

That’s an excellent video 

There are a few others around, from different channels (there was one that was on TV here in the US).  I know there was one following the NCL Escape, though I don't think they started with the first block.  There was one on the Meraviglia (or some other MSC ship).

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What's the issue

This really isn't an issue but an education for people new to CC.  They will learn that you can get attacked and denigrated for asking an innocent question.  

Just part of the CC experience.

• Thanks 2