Interesting announcement from Captain Dino Sagani

Geoffa30

Thanks for locating this.

What I understand from viewing the video:

His ship along with two other Princess ships and ships from some other brands will leave Manila around December 14 and sail to Los Angeles arriving around December 31.

He may have said it, but I could not tell for sure when the full crew would come aboard.

He does not expect his ship to start with real scheduled cruises until March or April and most likely April.

• Like 1

What I find interesting is that Princess did not do a simple thing months ago, that could have sped up the certification process.  If the ship had sent a form to the US CDC (the EDC or enhanced data collection) form, which only requires all crew temperature checks, and reports of any symptoms, on a weekly basis, they could have obtained "green" status long ago, but that will now require a full 28 days just to get the "green status" for crew changes, and then start the CSO conditional sailing certification process.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

What I find interesting is that Princess did not do a simple thing months ago, that could have sped up the certification process.  If the ship had sent a form to the US CDC (the EDC or enhanced data collection) form, which only requires all crew temperature checks, and reports of any symptoms, on a weekly basis, they could have obtained "green" status long ago, but that will now require a full 28 days just to get the "green status" for crew changes, and then start the CSO conditional sailing certification process.

I find that amazing as well.

48 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Maybe that was a deliberate decision to not speed up the return to sailing right away.  Maybe management wanted to see how other more anxious lines make out first when 'testing the waters.'

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Maybe that was a deliberate decision to not speed up the return to sailing right away.  Maybe management wanted to see how other more anxious lines make out first when 'testing the waters.'

As it would have cost them almost nothing (merely the time to take temperatures and to compile the report weekly), I don't see this as a conscious decision about the restart timetable, as even with a "green" status, they could have delayed start up.  Also, without knowing when the NSO was going to be dropped, and without knowing that continued "green" status would be required under the SCO (or even that a CSO would be issued), not doing this just because the ships were nowhere near the US seems very short sighted.  But, it tends to be consistent with all the cruise lines' attitude of "we can just wait this out, and it will all go away".

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As it would have cost them almost nothing (merely the time to take temperatures and to compile the report weekly), I don't see this as a conscious decision about the restart timetable, as even with a "green" status, they could have delayed start up.  Also, without knowing when the NSO was going to be dropped, and without knowing that continued "green" status would be required under the SCO (or even that a CSO would be issued), not doing this just because the ships were nowhere near the US seems very short sighted.  But, it tends to be consistent with all the cruise lines' attitude of "we can just wait this out, and it will all go away".

But beyond  CDC requirements, are not all CCL lines subject to separate additional restrictions due to their environmental crimes?

36 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

But beyond  CDC requirements, are not all CCL lines subject to separate additional restrictions due to their environmental crimes?

Well, the only "restriction" is that 30 days prior to entering US waters, the CEO needs to certify that the ship meets all statutory environmental requirements.  This is to place legal civil and criminal responsibility on the CEO, if the certification does not match the actual conditions onboard the ship.  But, the requirements set forth by MARPOL are enforceable anywhere in the world, and as a "Port State" who has found Carnival to be in violation of MARPOL, it can enforce the terms of the probation anywhere in the world, and the only thing that has apparently stopped the auditors from visiting the ships is the covid travel restrictions.  The ship can most definitely expect that the third party auditor and the court appointed monitor will inspect the ship when it returns to US waters to determine the progress made towards environmental compliance.  But, again, Carnival Corp had nothing but time on their hands while the ships were stopped, to implement their compliance plan, and were caught unprepared when the judge expected them to meet all their goals before resuming cruises in the US.  Again, another example of short sightedness on the part of management, and further indication that the corporate culture has not embraced environmental compliance.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting the announcement from Capt. Dino Sagani aboard Majestic Princess in Manila Bay. Very interesting and revealing. We first met Capt. Sagani aboard Diamond Princess southbound from Whittier to Vancouver at the time that he was announced as relief Master for Capt. Tony Draper for  then newbuild Royal Princess. I like him ... he will get his ship and crew ready for San Pedro.

PS I agree completely with chengkp75 with regard to the decision in Miami to ignore the CDC for many months. It puts the Masters of all the Princess ships in a more challenging position ... you could hear that in the announcement from Capt. Sagani.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

His ship along with two other Princess ships and ships from some other brands will leave Manila around December 14 and sail to Los Angeles arriving around December 31.

Other brands (Holland America, Carnival) already left Asia some time ago. I think he means the Holland America ships (probably those in Mexico / Panama) will also arrive Los Angeles on around December 31.

9 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

There is a huge consideration financially doing too much too soon. Port charges are huge.

Yes, but what I am talking about, the "green status" for the ship could have been completed while the ship was sitting at anchor in Manila bay, just as the Carnival Horizon apparently did sitting off St. Maarten.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, but what I am talking about, the "green status" for the ship could have been completed while the ship was sitting at anchor in Manila bay, just as the Carnival Horizon apparently did sitting off St. Maarten.

Truly amazing that  Mr Arnold & other execs did nothing .Perhaps orders came dowm from Mickey Aniston   .That family controls Carnival corp for years 

Edited by mcrcruiser

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

Truly amazing that  Mr Arnold & other execs did nothing .Perhsaps orders came dowm from Mickey Aniston   .That family controls Carnival corp for years 

It appears to me that Carnival Corp and all of its brands have built and maintained a culture of "ignore it and it will go away" towards regulations for decades, even before Mr. Arnold joined the team.

• Like 1

Just now, chengkp75 said:

It appears to me that Carnival Corp and all of its brands have built and maintained a culture of "ignore it and it will go away" towards regulations for decades, even before Mr. Arnold joined the team.

Yes I agree & it is a shame  or perhaps  no compliance & pay those huge fines  ,Hmm &  let employees  work harder  

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I think this has permeated customer service, as well.

Along with the long standing 'lie and deny'.

12 hours ago, TNTLAMB said:

There is a huge consideration financially doing too much too soon. Port charges are huge.

Until they are ready to load provisions, etc. why would the ships be alongside anywhere?

They can just anchor in the San Pedro Anchorage...

• 1 year later...