New vaccine

hollyjess

I do not know who may, or maybe not reporting to the Imperial College COVID symptom study app, but since potential side effects from the vaccine have been discussed this morning, I thought I would mention that they are now tracking if users have had the vaccine and if so gathering information on effects of it, as well as still doing the important job of gaining other knowledge about COVID.

Hence for the sake of a few "clicks" per day, you can assist in gaining extra research knowledge.  There is also lot of data and other information you can read on the app if installed.  This is a link from Wikipediadia with an explanation of it:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID_Symptom_Study

and this is a link to the app:-

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

More information can be searched about the app and useful info about COVID which has been learnt through it by searching on line, under symptom study or Zoe 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

My sister was the same for 24 hours after as you say the vaccine is kicking in and if you check out Google for the side effects then the symptoms are there listed .Some people will react in different ways but feeling like that for a few hours compared to what the real thing could do to you ?

A small price to pay if it saves our lives .

I wonder if any symptoms enable you to foretell the future, if so I may do the lottery after having mine.

53 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You could be right there, Sarah, and it makes perfect sense to prioritise areas with high rates.

I’m not remotely bothered about the delay, but I know a few 80+ who are spitting feathers because they want to start partying again!

I hope you are advising them to continue following the rules.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 7:33 PM, Aulanis said:

We live across the road from  Preston hospital  3 minutes walk -  
our docs surgery is maybe  10 minutes walk unfortunately they 
are in a group centre of which is 2 miles away  - bus say 15 minutes. 
  They dont have facilities for -80 deg storage so have teamed up
 with other surgeries/centres   4/5 miles away  2 bus rides   45 minutes
nearest new big centre is Blackburn Cathedral     10miles  2 buses  
and the even bigger centre  Manchester  35 miles 1.5hours .  
    I know its not a big deal but  what chance of getting in at the hospital.  
I believe that already they  have had days when they had doses left over 
due to ntus and no-one to give them to so were wasted.

Its appalling that you cant have vaccine at RPH. My family live in Preston and one works at RPH and you are right some days the Pzr vaccine is being wasted due to no shows and the rules about who can have it. A friend of ours in Preston who turned 70 last year with no health issues whatsoever got his yday at RPH it makes no sense at all. I'd walk across to the hospital at 4pm with your NHS number and ask if you could be considered if there is any left over.

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This was posted on another thread by a respected poster.

I understand why our government want to vaccinate a lot of people fast but hope the 12 week gap does not have a detrimental effect.

Screenshot_20210119_120904_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

I'm also concerned at completely breaching the laid down protocols for the gap between the two injections - because there's precious little evidence for it, and none at all in the case of the Pfizer vaccine.

The reasons for doing it are obvious, but the longer term implications could be catastrophic if, as some scientists suggest, it causes a much more resistant strain to emerge (rather like the antibiotic situation).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm also concerned at completely breaching the laid down protocols for the gap between the two injections - because there's precious little evidence for it, and none at all in the case of the Pfizer vaccine.

The reasons for doing it are obvious, but the longer term implications could be catastrophic if, as some scientists suggest, it causes a much more resistant strain to emerge (rather like the antibiotic situation).

Harry, the vaccine is totally different to antibiotics, and comparing the two is illogical.

Hopefully Phil will give us the "idiots guide" to the difference, rather than me trying to dig out the relevant information. 

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

My Dad lives in Hempstead and has to go to Strood for his vaccination this afternoon. He's 78 so they've only just got to the under 80's. Hope you and your friends don't have to wait for too long.

Strood? If he lives in Hempstead the Parkwood hub is a lot nearer. It may of course depend on what practice he belongs too 🤔

38 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I hope you are advising them to continue following the rules.

Absolutely but they know that anyway. My mum’s a risk taker, still climbs trees at 76 to look at birds nests , but with Covid they are both thankfully taking every precaution.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Harry, the vaccine is totally different to antibiotics, and comparing the two is illogical.

Hopefully Phil will give us the "idiots guide" to the difference, rather than me trying to dig out the relevant information. 

That I fully accept, and the antibiotic reference was perhaps a bad example, though it's an indication of what can happen if approved dosage protocols aren't followed.

However, the point about the unapproved gap between injections still stands, and it's something of a hot topic in the scientific world.

Just a couple of examples (no answers - just discussions):

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-delay-second-dose-dangerous-strains

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n18

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Absolutely but they know that anyway. My mum’s a risk taker, still climbs trees at 76 to look at birds nests , but with Covid they are both thankfully taking every precaution.

Another ruined keyboard.🤣. Your Mum sounds wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Strood? If he lives in Hempstead the Parkwood hub is a lot nearer. It may of course depend on what practice he belongs too 🤔

I know, seems very odd. His surgery is in Luton, no idea why? There must be closer hubs though.

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good news indeed.

I’m not expecting mine for a while yet (not too fussed) because in this area they’re still working on the over 80s, having only started on Sunday for 6 large practices.

There is a substantial inconsistency in delivery across the country, but that’s what happens when a National health service is broken up into countless trusts.

We had a letter from our local council yesterday about the vaccinations. They are only halfway through group one at the moment, but tried to make it sound a positive thing. It didn't work I'm afraid, as they had supposedly begun vaccinating  in mid December. Oh well, at least it's finally started so that's good.

Avril

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Another ruined keyboard.🤣. Your Mum sounds wonderful.

😂 usually she thinks she’s invincible, despite numerous falls and injuries. We affectionately call her ‘whoops a daisy nanny ‘ as she frequently ends up on her rear end.
We read her the riot act at the start of the pandemic and miraculously she took it seriously. Although on Christmas Eve they got locked out of their house. My husband managed to get a window open and my daughter was going to climb through but mum insisted on doing it! 😳

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Castle25 said:

The media are making too much of people over 80 not having yet ben jabbed.  If it is Feb 10th and you have had no contact about the jab, that is the time to complain.  Until then, be patient!!  If all the people had done as they were told and also used their brains, we wouldn't be in this position in the first place!!!!

I think you'll find that the ones who are complainig about the slow rollouts in their area are those who 'did as they were told, used their brains and stayed at home'. For the last 10 months!!

Avril

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No point discussing the difference really as there is no relevance.  I have mentioned several times that I was never really happy about changing the time between doses. The approval of the Pfizer vaccine was based on clinical trials and detracting from that is a risk. I can understand why spreading the vaccine out was done and hopefully there won't be a problem. Just because the trials were carried out using approx 3 weeks between doses doe's not mean that in reality that is the best option, scientists have to best guess too. This is the first time an mRNA based drug has ever been approved and it had great potential for the future in a multitude of new drugs, if offers hope in the fight against covid as it can be modified very quickly which will likely help as new strains of covid develop.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That I fully accept, and the antibiotic reference was perhaps a bad example, though it's an indication of what can happen if approved dosage protocols aren't followed.

However, the point about the unapproved gap between injections still stands, and it's something of a hot topic in the scientific world.

Just a couple of examples (no answers - just discussions):

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-delay-second-dose-dangerous-strains

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n18

Is this not just further proof of Government screw up. They knew moving forward it was going to be a 2 dose vaccine with the exception of JJ.. Should they not in the intervening months instead of retrofitting nightingale centre have concentrated on vaccine production and for want of a better term got in bed with these companies and retrofitted places for them to produce vaccines in the quantity we need right here in UK. Thus allowing them to keep to the vaccination timelines?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Sorry to butt in, I'm not a regular poster but that comment did amuse me.

My neighbour has just had his jab and prior to having it be said he was a little concerned about the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine as it is derived from a weakened cold virus that affects chimpanzees. I asked him how it went and he said it was fine, no problems, but he'd developed a slight craving for bananas and an interest in climbing trees!😆.

So your Mum may benefit from the vaccine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

36 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Sarah, I absolutely love your mum😄

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Is this not just further proof of Government screw up. They knew moving forward it was going to be a 2 dose vaccine with the exception of JJ.. Should they not in the intervening months instead of retrofitting nightingale centre have concentrated on vaccine production and for want of a better term got in bed with these companies and retrofitted places for them to produce vaccines in the quantity we need right here in UK. Thus allowing them to keep to the vaccination timelines?

Could be something in that. Certainly an obscene amount of money has been wasted on the Nightingale Centres because nobody realised that they wouldn’t run themselves - they needed doctors and nurses, and there weren’t any!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jake 26 said:

Sorry to butt in, I'm not a regular poster but that comment did amuse me.

My neighbour has just had his jab and prior to having it be said he was a little concerned about the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine as it is derived from a weakened cold virus that affects chimpanzees. I asked him how it went and he said it was fine, no problems, but he'd developed a slight craving for bananas and an interest in climbing trees!😆.

So your Mum may benefit from the vaccine.

Oh goodness, there’ll be no holding her back if it has that effect 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Could be something in that. Certainly an obscene amount of money has been wasted on the Nightingale Centres because nobody realised that they wouldn’t run themselves - they needed doctors and nurses, and there weren’t any!

Nightingale centres could have been production facilities? Or would they be too small? We are not getting Moderna till March because they don't have the production here in the UK? That situation should have been addressed the minute we put the orders in nevermind looked to increase it to 17 million.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

None of us will get a choice

Why not?

I will answer that for you. Firstly because they never came out at the same time of course. But if there is not meant to be choice further down the vaccination line why stand behind later orders?. Why not throw everything into that one giving everyone the same shot and therefore the same level of protection?.  Or are they building up supply for future years? They have never outlined how they choose who gets what vaccine. I personally suspect I will get the Johnson single shot I think it is the game plan to offer that to the younger people. Just one shot and get it done for them.

46 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I think you'll find that the ones who are complainig about the slow rollouts in their area are those who 'did as they were told, used their brains and stayed at home'. For the last 10 months!!

Avril

But GPs are saying they WILL get the jab - continue to do as their told and they will be ok. 

4 minutes ago, Castle25 said:

But GPs are saying they WILL get the jab - continue to do as their told and they will be ok. 

I know that, but you can expect some people to be impatient after following all the rules and seem to be getting no further forward. It's natural to become frustrated and have a whinge, and if it helps them then fine, that's their perogative.

Avril

• Like 2