New vaccine

hollyjess

15 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I hope his employers have some common sense and empathy and don’t put pressure on him to go back to work too soon!

John always says his employers are ‘funny’ about sick leave. He’s just made the call though and one of the managers told him he ‘knew his own body’ and if he didn’t feel well enough that was ok.

If he sat at a desk all day it would be different but he’s on his feet all day.

John suggested he would try and get in Sunday as that’s the beginning of their week but the manager suggested he phone again Friday and let him know how he feels then 😳

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Sobering front page on the Telegraph this morning. Apparently Sandwich in Kent has yet to receive any vaccine and in another article Cambridge and Peterborough Councils are offering jabs to their staff such as nursery school workers before priority groups in defiance of Government policy. Also, supplies of vaccine are not as expected from both Pfizer and AstraZenica 😟

Saw that.  Ironic that Pfizer’s UK base is in Sandwich.

Just been listening to Priti Patel trying to explain to Nick Robinson why there are such huge discrepancies across the country (all the fault of the independent NHS trusts) and why the UK has the highest death rate per 100,000 in the entire world.

We are doing well, overall, with vaccinations, leaving aside the huge variances in delivery, but there’s a very good reason for having to do that - our utter failure to handle the virus itself effectively.

And yes, I saw that ITV documentary too. The UK came out of it very badly indeed, and that’s now confirmed by the appalling death figures.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

John always says his employers are ‘funny’ about sick leave. He’s just made the call though and one of the managers told him he ‘knew his own body’ and if he didn’t feel well enough that was ok.

John suggested he would try and get in Sunday as that’s the beginning of their week but the manager suggested he phone again Friday and let him know how he feels then 😳

It could be his manager is planning his staff workload on Friday for the Sunday week start.

Hopefully they know John well enough that he wouldn't be off work unless he was really poorly and respect his decision.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It could be his manager is planning his staff workload on Friday for the Sunday week start.

Hopefully they know John well enough that he wouldn't be off work unless he was really poorly and respect his decision.

Yes this is the thing , John is very rarely off sick and hardly ever more than one day! That’s got to count for something!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

What I would do is phone my doctors and tell them all my symptoms and 

A) I feel to weak to work on my physical job   ... 

or

B)   I am Ok for gentle things ..No/Lifting  or heavy work .

THE Doctor would then e-mail a MED 3 (SICK NOTE )   for John to hand in to his employers.

This saves any misunderstanding about how fit John is and what he is fit to do at work :classic_smile:

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes this is the thing , John is very rarely off sick and hardly ever more than one day! That’s got to count for something!

I agree.

Hopefully John is a lot better by Sunday.

I felt very tired for weeks with Covid19.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

What I would do is phone my doctors and tell them all my symptoms and 

A) I feel to weak to work on my physical job   ... 

or

B)   I am Ok for gentle things ..No/Lifting  or heavy work .

THE Doctor would then e-mail a MED 3 (SICK NOTE )   for John to hand in to his employers.

This saves any misunderstanding about how fit John is and what he is fit to do at work :classic_smile:

A friend went part time recoup at work handing in a sick note like Kalos said and did lighter work but got full pay.

• Like 2

This was a snippet of information someone passed on. 

No one ever talks about how to fight Covid at home. I came down with Covid in November. I went to the hospital, running a fever of 103, a rapid heart beat, and other common symptoms that come with Covid. While I was there they treated me for the high fever, dehydration and pneumonia.
The doctor sent me home to fight Covid with two prescriptions - Azithromycin 250mg & Dexamethason 6mg. When the nurse came in to discharge me, I asked her, "What can I do to help fight this at home?" She said, “Sleep on your stomach at all times with Covid. If you can’t sleep on your stomach because of heath issues sleep on your side. Do not lay on your back no matter what because it smashes your lungs and that will allow fluid to set in.
Set your clock every two hours while sleeping on your stomach, then get out of bed and walk for 15-30 min, no matter how tired or weak that you are. Also move your arms around frequently, it helps to open your lungs. Breathe in thru your nose, and out thru your mouth. This will help build up your lungs, plus help get rid of the Pneumonia or other fluid you may have.
When sitting in a recliner, sit up straight - do not lay back in the recliner, again this will smash your lungs. While watching TV - get up and walk during every commercial.
Eat at least 1 - 2 eggs a day, plus bananas, avocado and asparagus. These are good for Potassium. Drink Pedialyte, Gatorade Zero, Powerade Zero & Water with Electrolytes to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Do not drink anything cold - have it at room temperature or warm it up. Water with lemon, and little honey, peppermint tea, apple cider are good suggestions for getting in fluids. No milk products, or pork. Vitamin’s D3, C, B, Zinc, Probiotic One-Day are good ideas. Tylenol for fever. Mucinex, or Mucinex DM for drainage, plus helps the cough. Pepcid helps for cramps in your legs. One baby aspirin everyday can help prevent getting a blood clot, which can occur from low activity. "
Drink a smoothie of blueberries, strawberries, bananas, honey, tea and a spoon or two of peanut butter.
We always hear of how Covid takes lives, but there isn't a lot of information out there regarding how to fight Covid. I hope this helps you or someone you know, just as it has helped me.
Copy and paste. I did 😊
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

No one ever talks about how to fight Covid at home. I came down with Covid in November. I went to the hospital, running a fever of 103, a rapid heart beat, and other common symptoms that come with Covid. While I was there they treated me for the high fever, dehydration and pneumonia.
The doctor sent me home to fight Covid with two prescriptions - Azithromycin 250mg & Dexamethason 6mg. When the nurse came in to discharge me, I asked her, "What can I do to help fight this at home?" She said, “Sleep on your stomach at all times with Covid. If you can’t sleep on your stomach because of heath issues sleep on your side. Do not lay on your back no matter what because it smashes your lungs and that will allow fluid to set in.
Set your clock every two hours while sleeping on your stomach, then get out of bed and walk for 15-30 min, no matter how tired or weak that you are. Also move your arms around frequently, it helps to open your lungs. Breathe in thru your nose, and out thru your mouth. This will help build up your lungs, plus help get rid of the Pneumonia or other fluid you may have.
When sitting in a recliner, sit up straight - do not lay back in the recliner, again this will smash your lungs. While watching TV - get up and walk during every commercial.
Eat at least 1 - 2 eggs a day, plus bananas, avocado and asparagus. These are good for Potassium. Drink Pedialyte, Gatorade Zero, Powerade Zero & Water with Electrolytes to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Do not drink anything cold - have it at room temperature or warm it up. Water with lemon, and little honey, peppermint tea, apple cider are good suggestions for getting in fluids. No milk products, or pork. Vitamin’s D3, C, B, Zinc, Probiotic One-Day are good ideas. Tylenol for fever. Mucinex, or Mucinex DM for drainage, plus helps the cough. Pepcid helps for cramps in your legs. One baby aspirin everyday can help prevent getting a blood clot, which can occur from low activity. "
Drink a smoothie of blueberries, strawberries, bananas, honey, tea and a spoon or two of peanut butter.
We always hear of how Covid takes lives, but there isn't a lot of information out there regarding how to fight Covid. I hope this helps you or someone you know, just as it has helped me.
Copy and paste. I did 😊

This particular cut and paste has been doing the rounds.  worth reading the snopes fact check

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/12/29/fight-covid-home/

In particular their final paragraph

If we interpret the post as presenting recommendations made for people who were hospitalized with COVID-19 and sent home for further recovery, the post misses the mark in several cases described above. If, however, the post is interpreted as ways to keep people safe at home without going to the hospital, the post is dangerous, as it encourages notions that could prolong the decision to seek medical care in urgent situations. All told, it’s a good reminder to not get medical advice from posts that end in “copy paste and share.”

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A friend went part time recoup at work handing in a sick note like Kalos said and did lighter work but got full pay.

Yes a phased return is fairly common practice after some conditions and post covid debility would be a perfect for it. The individual counts as being back at work (in terms of their sickness absence record) and receives full pay but starts back part time, either fewer hours per day or fewer days per week and builds up to their normal hours usually over 4 to 8 weeks.

Some employers will do this based on Gp recommendation on a fit note, others require a specific recommendation from their own occupational health providers

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Copy and paste. I did 😊

Whoever wrote this ? Are they related to KTS ? :classic_unsure: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Saw that.  Ironic that Pfizer’s UK base is in Sandwich

Did you also see the "vaccine packing plant" in Havant. The one they relocated to Belgium in October. The one that instead of them relocated it to Belgium could perhaps have been retrofitted or augmented with government grant to produce vaccine order for the UK. Once the pandemic was over they could have scaled that plant down. But they should never have been allowed to do that 6 or 7 months into a pandemic.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Surely he cannot go back to work until he is symptom free  might be worth checking with 111 to see if he requires a further test.

Apparently it’s on the NHS website (and his manager quoted it!) that you can go back to work if you have the cough! I suppose that can hang around for weeks but I wouldn’t have thought his colleagues would be impressed 😃

As regards the sick note for lighter duties there really isn’t much he can do that’s ‘lighter’.

• Like 1

Just had an email from Saga cruises, as we are due to sail on 26 June 2021 stating that we must have been fully vaccinated against Covid at least two weeks prior to departure. No passengers who do not meet this requirement will be allowed to board. Will also need a negative test at the  port and full medical screening before boarding.  Will P&O go down this route, taking into account the difference in age range?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Copy and paste. I did 😊

Thanks for that,full of useful valuable info,..........if the nurse had said all that to me i would have leant forward slightly and said,"Pardon".

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Shall I bookmark this for you to repost later Harry?  Your posts quoting how badly the govt have handled the pandemic must be approaching a hundred by now.

But entertaining and predictable, as always .🤣. A bit ace 2542 ISH.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kentish Lass said:

Just had an email from Saga cruises, as we are due to sail on 26 June 2021 stating that we must have been fully vaccinated against Covid at least two weeks prior to departure. No passengers who do not meet this requirement will be allowed to board. Will also need a negative test at the  port and full medical screening before boarding.  Will P&O go down this route, taking into account the difference in age range?

Thanks for posting this.  What proof of vaccination are Saga asking you to provide?

Just now, Kentish Lass said:

Wow.......  This could get interesting! 
Personally  I’m in favour of it it, but if you’ve not had the vaccine because rollout is slow will that mean a full refund or free swap to a later cruise?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Shall I bookmark this for you to repost later Harry?  Your posts quoting how badly the govt have handled the pandemic must be approaching a hundred by now.

Approaching a hundred? I think you must have missed a few John 😉 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kentish Lass said:

Wow, this one will be interesting, I bet their phone lines are red hot already. It is not unexpected. 

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for posting this.  What proof of vaccination are Saga asking you to provide?

From Saga FAQ

How will you check that I have received the vaccine?

You will be required to bring the vaccination document and/or evidence with you as proof at the time of boarding.

What if I am exempt from receiving the vaccine?

Sadly we would not be able to allow you to cruise and would ask that you contact our Cruise Guest Services who will be able to discuss your options with you and arrange a full refund.

Saga FAQ - https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx

Saga travel update - https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/coronavirus-cruise-passengers.aspx

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Thanks 1

At present, there is no intention for this to apply to P&O.

The age demographic of Saga is such that their audience is within the 9 priority groups currently being vaccinated due to higher risk. They can therefore make this choice knowing that their audience should all have been vaccinated.

For P&O this would exclude a significant portion of their audience, who are statistically less vulnerable to the severity of the virus... such as every child.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Wow, this one will be interesting, I bet their phone lines are red hot already. It is not unexpected. 

I imagine that a number of airlines and some tour operators might be thinking of doing the same as Saga. We are in for some interesting discussions if this does become the norm.