New vaccine

hollyjess

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

A bit repetitive wowzz.  But really, surely it depends on the individual circumstances,

I was thinking of my Father,  and without being personal, he died a long and painful death. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Folks  - can I just apologise for multiple posts and deletions. It seems impossible to delete an entire post. My apologies.  

That can be done through the reporting system if you ask for your post to be deleted.  Admin will delete posts if asked by the person who made the post.

I agree the situation with ill elderly people does depends a lot on the person, how ill they are and if they have  good chance of a good recovery.  Personally if I was very ill, and thought I may not recover fairly well, I would not thank anyone for keeping me alive.  I have seen relatives suffer a lot over a long time when they have been kept alive in a bad state of health for a number of years.  Quality of life is the key imo.

I always think how an animal would not be kept alive if they were suffering.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, tring said:

That can be done through the reporting system if you ask for your post to be deleted.  Admin will delete posts if asked by the person who made the post.

I agree the situation with ill elderly people does depend on the person and how ill they are and if they have  good chance of a full recovery.  Personally if I was very ill, and thought I may not recover fairly well, I would not thank anyone for keeping me alive.  I have seen relatives suffer a lot over a long time after they have been kept alive in a bad state for a number of years.  Quality of life is the key imo

Thank you. To be fair to the Mods, it can take a time before posts are deleted, hence my DIY efforts!

And with regards to the other aspect of your post - yes, I totally agree. Sometimes it is actually  long enough to say good bye to someone.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

He was on holiday in the Caribbean over Xmas with his family, and has been suffering from pneumonia symptoms for a few weeks, and vaccination is not recommended when suffering from that.

I’m flabbergasted. Who ever thought that was a sensible thing to do? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We disapprove of all the so-called celebrities who fly off to warmer climes unnecessarily and to me, this case is no different.  Of course I wish him and everyone a full recovery. 

We flew home from San Francisco on December 4th 2019 after a 15 night Hawaiian cruise.

No one had heard about Covid19 until late February early March 2020 so nothing wrong with Captain Tom having a December holiday in the Caribbean if he,his doctor and his family thought he was fit enough.

My doctor gave his approval to me flying to Spain for a 4 day recovery break in January 5 weeks after my mild heart attack.

Best wishes to Sir Captain Tom.

Graham.

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We flew home from San Francisco on December 4th 2019 after a 15 night Hawaiian cruise.

No one had heard about Covid19 until late February early March 2020 so nothing wrong with Captain Tom having a December holiday in the Caribbean if he,his doctor and his family thought he was fit enough.

My doctor gave his approval to me flying to Spain for a 4 day recovery break in January 5 weeks after my mild heart attack.

Graham.

Sorry but it wasn’t essential and it looks like it’s backfired spectacularly. 

• Like 7

Am I the only one confused over dates here (The Captain Tom thing)?  No matter - it’ll be a storm in a teacup I’m sure

Longer term news is that the government has ordered more mega-millions of vaccine doses from a French developer.  This seems to show that they are getting set for continual vaccinations for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Sorry but it wasn’t essential and it looks like it’s backfired spectacularly. 

IF this is true,I totally agree and his family are selfish.I think he would be happy with a trip to Blackpool let alone Barbados.Simple things like travel insurance being impossible.I'm watching Piers Morgan now and he'd be the first to jump on this if it were true.Anyone got a link for this news?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Am I the only one confused over dates here (The Captain Tom thing)?  No matter - it’ll be a storm in a teacup I’m sure

Longer term news is that the government has ordered more mega-millions of vaccine doses from a French developer.  This seems to show that they are getting set for continual vaccinations for the foreseeable future.  

I'm thinking that now,was this xmas 2019.France has just had a vaccine fail and rejected.Hope it's not connected.

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Funnily enough, human nature being what it is, most of us would not disapprove of Sir Tom's holiday while roundly condemning the  antics of one D.  Cummings and a few others.

He must be pretty fit for his age, so here's hoping he makes a full recovery.

I do disapprove.  

Through no choice of his own he was made the "face" of the UK fightback against the virus.  The ex WW2 soldier showing the virus that we can beat it.  We beat the the Axis forces in the war and we can beat this virus was the message the papers put out.

What he did gained millions for NHS charities which is a good thing.  He bacame lauded, was given a Knighthood and was a rallying point for many.  "If he can do it so can we".

With all that whether he wanted it or not came a degree of responsibility.  To go off on holiday when we were being specifically told not to is just plain wrong no matter who you are.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I understand it was before Christmas when the tier system was in place that Captain Tom was away with his family but it must have been within the rules.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

My point for Captain Tom was if it was legal to fly to Barbados and his doctor gave him the okay and his family were there as carers he did nothing wrong.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a big mistake and he recovers.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Wasn’t overseas travel actually permitted at the time?

Difficult dilemma should he need an ICU bed though. No way would one be given to anyone that age, but.............

I think so. It may have been at the point where you could travel to an airport via a different tier but weren't allowed to stop? I hope the good Captain's bladder functioned better than the average 100 years old's.:classic_smile:

Gather this trip was on his bucket list and one is slightly running out of time to fulfil one's bucket list at 100+, particularly during a pandemic.

• Like 6

From reading the media reports BA provided free flights. 

The thing is, if the guidelines allows us to do an activity - and I don’t think it was against the rules to fly to Barbados in December, then we can’t really complain if people do something that they are permitted to do - even if it’s not something we’d do ourselves 

• Like 3