New vaccine

hollyjess

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

Can someone remind me of approx when we will be seeing the hospitals/deaths reducing because of the vaccine rollout, given that the current lockdown must be having a considerable effect as well.

I think JVT gave some sort of timeline but can't remember what he said.

It would be great to know the vaccine is doing its job.

Deaths in the over 80s have been falling twice as fast as deaths in the over 60s since mid Jan. Not seen anything that is based specifically on hospital deaths but they could be included in those figures.

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Can someone remind me of approx when we will be seeing the hospitals/deaths reducing because of the vaccine rollout, given that the current lockdown must be having a considerable effect as well.

I think the current news is that the death rate among 80+ is dropping dramatically.  The vaccine effect, given that many/most were jabbed in December?

Current news/science articles should have something

14 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The UK delayed second jab policy is unavoidable because our Covid situation is so bad, threatening to completely knock out the NHS.

Given that, it’s a necessary, but desperate, measure. It will save the NHS from complete collapse, which is obviously good. The downside, though, is that because we’re not vaccinating in the way that the manufacturers, Pfizer in particular, have approved, there will be a potentially significant number of people who aren’t protected and will contract Covid. How badly remains to be seen, but at least there’ll still be an NHS waiting for them.

Although there is now some speculation that a longer period between doses is actually more beneficial. Obviously too early at this juncture for hard evidence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I was never happy with the plan to detract from the protocol to give the vaccine at 13 weeks instead of 3. However with evidence over the last few weeks I think the right decision was made, deaths in over 80s has fallen twice as fast as deaths in over 60s since mid Jan, this is a clear indication that the people vaccinated in Dec/early Jan have benefitted from the vaccine and more lives have been saved overall. 

However the WHO  have now endorsed this policy for worldwide roll out.

4 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I haven't said anyone has dissed my view, just not supported it, which I am surprised about. 

Anyway lifes too short for me to worry about what people on here think, although generally I agree with most. 

I am not ringing the surgery at this time, they are busy and keep us up to date on a faceache group. They are keeping to the NHS guidelines if others obviously are not. I feel very strongly about the rights and wrongs of vaccination timetables and this was one step too far for me.

Hi I fully understand where you’re coming from and agree with your opinions, I think some areas are more ahead than others, I hope your wife gets her vaccination soon, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Wasn't Eamon Andrews that bloke who did the show that Mary Hopkirk sang puppet on a string?

I thought he did This is your Life and has been dead for eons.  But I did quite like Ruth's hubby back in the day, not seen him for quite a while though.

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The UK delayed second jab policy is unavoidable because our Covid situation is so bad, threatening to completely knock out the NHS.

Given that, it’s a necessary, but desperate, measure. It will save the NHS from complete collapse, which is obviously good. The downside, though, is that because we’re not vaccinating in the way that the manufacturers, Pfizer in particular, have approved, there will be a potentially significant number of people who aren’t protected and will contract Covid. How badly remains to be seen, but at least there’ll still be an NHS waiting for them.

But all the data now being released tends to support the UK policy, it appears to give equal or even more protection than following the Pfizer advice, and it is now WHO policy as well.  But I understand why that would stick in your craw Harry.

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

DW is 65 on Monday and will move from group 7 to 5. She went on to the booking site via the app this morning and was able to book both appointments. If anyone is in group 5 worth a try. Hello magazines phone is busy, so they missed out🤣

Is "advancing age" accepted as being an underlying health condition?  This could help everyone in groups 5-9 🤔😃

Looks like many on here are being jabbed, great news!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, davecttr said:

March 8th that's why the schools go back on that date.

It's also 21 days after the 4 top cohorts are expected to have had their first vaccine jab.

45 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Deaths in the over 80s have been falling twice as fast as deaths in the over 60s since mid Jan. Not seen anything that is based specifically on hospital deaths but they could be included in those figures.

I think if Dave checks the UK  stats he will find that UK hospitalization and deaths are already falling.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

However the WHO  have now endorsed this policy for worldwide roll out.

And for the same reason - to cover as many people as possible in as short a timescale as possible.  The greater the number of infections/deaths (and we have one of the highest) the greater the need.

WHO was talking specifically about the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine though - not the Pfizer.  We're doing it for both, against the advice of Pfizer.  We're doing it because we have to, for the sake of the NHS and society, but it does increase the risks to each individual.

I just hope all those currently being vaccinated appreciate the risks that still exist to themselves and others and act sensibly, even after the three weeks are up.

• Like 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

A Gibson guitar 🎸 I believe.

Your imogi is a fender Stratocaster. I have one upstairs and a telecaster also a Gibson SG. If I had known lockdown would have gone on so long I could have practiced. Lots.🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And for the same reason - to cover as many people as possible in as short a timescale as possible.  The greater the number of infections/deaths (and we have one of the highest) the greater the need.

WHO was talking specifically about the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine though - not the Pfizer.  We're doing it for both, against the advice of Pfizer.  We're doing it because we have to, for the sake of the NHS and society, but it does increase the risks to each individual.

I just hope all those currently being vaccinated appreciate the risks that still exist to themselves and others and act sensibly, even after the three weeks are up.

Harry, there is already data for the Pfizer jab showing a steady increase in protection way beyond their 3 week proposal for jab2, according to WHO.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But all the data now being released tends to support the UK policy, it appears to give equal or even more protection than following the Pfizer advice, and it is now WHO policy as well.  But I understand why that would stick in your craw Harry.

I think you need to read the WHO statement, John - it refers only to the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine.  Not the Pfizer.

The Pfizer regime in the UK is expedient, but it's against most scientific advice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I like facts - the 'facts' being used here about the vaccine rollout in the UK and EU are alternative facts, though.  And we all know what that means.  😉

Alternative to what, they may be in the MOS but that does not necessarily mean they are incorrect.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you need to read the WHO statement, John - it refers only to the Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine.  Not the Pfizer.

The Pfizer regime in the UK is expedient, but it's against most scientific advice.

WHO also said " hope I die before I get old '

• Like 1