New vaccine

hollyjess

2 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Thanks Kalos, summed the situation up extremely well.  There are many out there in my situation and I know how they feel. It felt like winning the lottery when I had mine two weeks ago, I just want to feel like I have won a triple rollover when my wife has hers and hopefully in a couple of months life can start to return to some normality.  

Thanks those who have given us support, it is appreciated.

You're more than welcome Bob, my wife has just said the same worrying about me

as a HF patient , it certainly felt like a lottery win . I think the posters mean well  but 

until they walk in our shoes ? Please let us know when your good lady gets the jab .

Until then you two stay safe .:classic_smile:

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

As maybe but if the teachers are vaccinated and the kids can't spread it then there is no reason schools cant be open. But they are also saying the infection rate will increase if schools open. So you can't win can you.

The schools are closed (to many children) because it is believed children were adding to household spread of disease. Not to protect the teachers.

And I'm not a teacher basher - many of my family are teachers, but none of them think they should be elbowing more vulnerable people out of the queue.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, WECRUISEUK said:

All they have to do is dedicate two days (next weekend) solely for teachers first jabs,to re-assure them about going back to the class room which will be full of pupils who will very likely have the virus.Waiting for group nine to be complete will take untill end of april,that's eight weeks stood in the full classroom,all i'm suggesting is two days.

"All they have to do - next weekend"! I'm sorry but you have no idea how this carefully managed rollout programme has been planned thoroughly and meticulously to capture those in most need - not to "give them what they want" under any circumstances. I have worked this whole weekend at a vaccine hub, as a volunteer, like all of us, and we have given vaccines to people who are most in need - people whose health problems put them at the very height of vulnerability and who will come first every time.

I have the utmost respect for teachers,  police, the ambulance service, bus drivers, shop workers, and anyone I've missed out,  but tomorrow when I go through my patient list to contact those whose need is greatest, like the spouses and partners of many of the posters on here, they are my priority. The need can never be replaced by the want.

Jane

• Like 24

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

As maybe but if the teachers are vaccinated and the kids can't spread it then there is no reason schools cant be open. But they are also saying the infection rate will increase if schools open. So you can't win can you.

No one is sure if Kids can't spread it , just that they are very very unlikely to be ill. Thinking is the younger they are the least likely to be spread it. Teenagers can spread it like adults, but are very very unlikely to be seriously ill, more danger falling of their bikes

The possible rise in infection due to schools opening in a class of thirty is not due to children passing it to the teacher. It's due , or possibly due to children passing it to each other then back to whoever they are living with. Vaccinating teachers will only have a minute effect.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 4

I work in Early Years with 2-5 year olds, we have worked throughout the pandemic and have extremely close contact with young children. We do not wear face masks because young children need to be able to see your facial expressions but this does not mean we should skip the queue for vaccines. Older members of staff and those with underlying conditions will soon be vaccinated when the brilliant NHS send us our letters. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Even if the infection rate did rise, since the most vulnerable should now be protected there should be minimal impact on the NHS or the number of deaths. However for the children's sake the schools must reopen fully as soon as possible, with or without the trade unions agreement.

I don't know if you are all aware that quite a large number of the older housebound in various parts of the country have not yet had the opportunity to be vaccinated - it is a bit galling when Boris is telling us all to get on with it, when we have not been given the choice.  This is surely particularly important for anyone who has various carers coming in to help them every day? 

I have emailed my MP to suggest that there seems to be a need for someone 'at the top' to take charge of the organisation of this important part of the rollout.  

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I don't know if you are all aware that quite a large number of the older housebound in various parts of the country have not yet had the opportunity to be vaccinated - it is a bit galling when Boris is telling us all to get on with it, when we have not been given the choice.  This is surely particularly important for anyone who has various carers coming in to help them every day? 

I have emailed my MP to suggest that there seems to be a need for someone 'at the top' to take charge of the organisation of this important part of the rollout.  

I am so sorry you're still having a problem; hopefully your MP can do something to get this sorted out. 

Take care and fingers crossed that you get your vaccinations asap.🤞

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nicki-k said:

I work in Early Years with 2-5 year olds, we have worked throughout the pandemic and have extremely close contact with young children. We do not wear face masks because young children need to be able to see your facial expressions but this does not mean we should skip the queue for vaccines. Older members of staff and those with underlying conditions will soon be vaccinated when the brilliant NHS send us our letters. 

Well sorry but that is not happening all over the country. My niece works with Early Year 2-5 yr old has worked all through the pandemic and has not got any health conditions and is aged 30 and was called for a vaccine because of her jab and she received it today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Well sorry but that is not happening all over the country. My niece works with Early Year 2-5 yr old has worked all through the pandemic and has not got any health conditions and is aged 30 and was called for a vaccine because of her jab and she received it today.

There was a letter/text sent out in error to Early Years workers who somehow got mixed up with social workers. Our local authority sent out an urgent email telling us to ignore the message as some people booked appointments but were turned away at the vaccine hubs as they weren't eligible. Some may have slipped through the net but this wasn't supposed to happen.

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Not a new vaccine but a hopeful report in the Telegraph about a trial of vitamin D on COVID patients and how it could reduce deaths by up to 60%. 

Hopefully we'll have an early heatwave again this year.Plenty of natural vitamin D.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Not a new vaccine but a hopeful report in the Telegraph about a trial of vitamin D on COVID patients and how it could reduce deaths by up to 60%. 

My sister found out about this some months ago and we have been taking vitamin D daily ever since. I believe that they stumbled across it due to the higher mortality rates amongst BAME people who naturally have lower vitamin D levels. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hopefully we'll have an early heatwave again this year.Plenty of natural vitamin D.

A managed to buy 3 months supply a couple of weeks ago. Vitamin D3 which is the one used in the trial although the hospital administered dose may be a lot higher than my 1000 IU/25ug dose.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

No they should go back when the govt say that schools should re-open, as I explained the younger unvaccinated should be at very little risk of severe illness and very unlikely to die.

There seems to be a myth that has grown that all young people only get a mild illness or don’t even know that they have had it. This isn’t true. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/senior-covid-doctor-warns-ruthless-23500747

• Like 1

Vitamin D really ought to be on the agenda for everyone in Northern Europe.  I believe its role in warding off/delaying dementia has been proved and it also plays a part in helping the immune system

Everyone should take it in winter, at least, with some ultra-aged or housebound considering a double dose

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Vitamin D really ought to be on the agenda for everyone in Northern Europe.  I believe its role in warding off/delaying dementia has been proved and it also plays a part in helping the immune system

Everyone should take it in winter, at least, with some ultra-aged or housebound considering a double dose

My wife got sent 120 or so Vitamin D pills from the NHS.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

My sister found out about this some months ago and we have been taking vitamin D daily ever since. I believe that they stumbled across it due to the higher mortality rates amongst BAME people who naturally have lower vitamin D levels. 

Ditto - been taking 2,000 IUs daily for months and so far I'm still alive:classic_unsure:. Some very interesting stuff on youtube by Dr John Campbell, who gives a daily update on various subjects related to covid; here's his most recent one on VitD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6FKi8aAsA  

He's been doing these videos for about a year and has proved to be pretty thorough and reliable - I was pointed in his direction by a doctor friend last March. 

6 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto - been taking 2,000 IUs daily for months and so far I'm still alive:classic_unsure:. Some very interesting stuff on youtube by Dr John Campbell, who gives a daily update on various subjects related to covid; here's his most recent one on VitD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6FKi8aAsA  

He's been doing these videos for about a year and has proved to be pretty thorough and reliable - I was pointed in his direction by a doctor friend last March. 

We are on half the dose you are Annie. May have to up our game 😂 

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

been taking 2,000 IUs daily

That's about 5 times more than the recommended daily dose. You could probably at least half your intake, and still get the same level of protection. Without being indelicate, your body gets rid of the excess amount, so there is no benefit in over dosing.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

That's about 5 times more than the recommended daily dose. You could probably at least half your intake, and still get the same level of protection. Without being indelicate, your body gets rid of the excess amount, so there is no benefit in over dosing.

Spot on Wowzz around last November I had this chat with our GP and she recommended we 

take the vitamin D tablets . We bought them in ourselves and told her the ones we managed to 

get with our home delivery was a 2,000 IU strength ,she told us ,one tablet every other day was 

more than enough and anything more is a waste .

• Like 1

We take 1000 iu vitamin D a day.   My understanding is that this is a good dose for the elderly, and that 2000 is for those with specific bone health concerns only, and that some Doctors do not recommend a very high dose unless really necessary.  The normal maintenance dose  in the winter is 400 iu, and I think that this is what is prescribed by GPs for most people.   (Correct me if necessary).  

Regarding the housebound issue, I am not too anxious personally about it, but do feel that it is an issue that has been ignored by Government, and was incensed by smug Hancock this morning saying on the BBC that if you still want to be vaccinated contact the NHS.  I have phoned them, and they are only able to make appointments at Centres, and can't help with the housebound.  Just don't like feeling ignored!  And sorry for those who live alone and have lots of different carers  going in to look after them, with the possible risks of infection.  

• Like 8

Yesterday the BBC reported that vaccination of group 6 (adults with underlying health issues and their Carers) would commence today, along with group 5 (60-64). This was repeated this morning by Matt Hancock and Stephen Powis (NHS Clinical Director). However, I have tried several times this morning to book my wife’s jab (and mine) and it says that we are not yet eligible 🙄

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yesterday the BBC reported that vaccination of group 6 (adults with underlying health issues and their Carers) would commence today, along with group 5 (60-64). This was repeated this morning by Matt Hancock and Stephen Powis (NHS Clinical Director). However, I have tried several times this morning to book my wife’s jab (and mine) and it says that we are not yet eligible 🙄

Group 5 is 65-69. My husband is in that group and was able to use the website on Friday to book his appointment.

Looks like it hasn’t been updated for group 6. Perhaps you could try phoning 119

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Group 5 is 65-69. My husband is in that group and was able to use the website on Friday to book his appointment.

Looks like it hasn’t been updated for group 6. Perhaps you could try phoning 119

Apologies. You are quite correct. I am focussed on group 6.