New vaccine

hollyjess

19 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yesterday the BBC reported that vaccination of group 6 (adults with underlying health issues and their Carers) would commence today, along with group 5 (60-64). This was repeated this morning by Matt Hancock and Stephen Powis (NHS Clinical Director). However, I have tried several times this morning to book my wife’s jab (and mine) and it says that we are not yet eligible 🙄

Ditto my daughter, who has been trying this morning.

Edited by AnnieC

59 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's about 5 times more than the recommended daily dose. You could probably at least half your intake, and still get the same level of protection. Without being indelicate, your body gets rid of the excess amount, so there is no benefit in over dosing.

Thanks wowzz.  I'll stick with medical recommendations (up to 4,000 IU) - a lot of re-evaluating has been taking place on Vit D, and that takes time, but I'm happy with what I've been told.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Hopefully we'll have an early heatwave again this year.Plenty of natural vitamin D.

We have been taking vitamin D for years. You still get sunburnt. It was promoted as protection against vampire bites. It works in that respect.

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Looks like it hasn’t been updated for group 6. Perhaps you could try phoning 119

Just phoned 119. Amazed that I got through to a human being very quickly. Unfortunately a bit of a dopey one! Took an age for her to input my details to only be told that ‘computer says no’. Seems as though they use the same system that I was using online. Best she could suggest was that the system hadn’t updated and to try again in a few days. Not her fault obviously and I thanked her for trying. Just irritating when the Health Secretary and NHS Medical Director both say on TV this morning that group 6 has started but in reality you can’t make a booking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We are on half the dose you are Annie. May have to up our game 😂 

We started taking them when DW was advised to by her GP, I started at the same time we take 1000 which the doctor advised. I wouldn't go to 2000 without checking first.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We started taking them when DW was advised to by her GP, I started at the same time we take 1000 which the doctor advised. I wouldn't go to 2000 without checking first.

NHS Prolonged overdose of Vitamin D .....

What happens if I take too much vitamin D?

Taking too many vitamin D supplements over a long period of time can cause too much calcium to build up in the body (hypercalcaemia). This can weaken the bones and damage the kidneys and the heart.

If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/#:~:text=Taking too many vitamin D,be enough for most people.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto my daughter, who has been trying this morning.

I think that half the problem is that people are not precise enough with their words and, as a result, they can be interpreted in different ways, which causes confusion. Both Matt Hancock and Stephen Powis said this morning that the vaccination programme had now moved to 65-70 and those with underlying health conditions and their Carers. What I think they probably meant to say is that the programme has moved to 65-70 and will be followed by those with underlying health conditions and their Carers. Both mean very different things. The only reason that I am now deducing this is because the booking website mentions that you can book if you are 65 or over, but does not mention those with underlying health conditions (just the extremely clinically vulnerable group, which is different). As a result of this sloppy phrasing, a lot of people will be wasting time trying to make bookings and, more importantly, wasting the time of GP surgeries and booking services.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, kalos said:

Taking too many vitamin D supplements over a long period of time can cause too much calcium to build up in the body (hypercalcaemia). This can weaken the bones and damage the kidneys and the heart.

If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/#:~:text=Taking too many vitamin D,be enough for most people.

Yep. "Too much" is not 2,000 IU. It's over 4,000 IU.

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

Quite right. However, the safe upper level is 4,000 IU, twice as much as I take, but the amount that many in the medical profession themselves take...

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Not a new vaccine but a hopeful report in the Telegraph about a trial of vitamin D on COVID patients and how it could reduce deaths by up to 60%. 

Pauline has been taking 1 vitamin D3  tablet 10pu 400 iu daily for over 12 months and fortunately showed no covid19 symptoms while I had Covid19.

She now takes 2 which is 800 iu the recommended highest dose.

Edited by grapau27

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think that half the problem is that people are not precise enough with their words and, as a result, they can be interpreted in different ways, which causes confusion. Both Matt Hancock and Stephen Powis said this morning that the vaccination programme had now moved to 65-70 and those with underlying health conditions and their Carers. What I think they probably meant to say is that the programme has moved to 65-70 and will be followed by those with underlying health conditions and their Carers. Both mean very different things. The only reason that I am now deducing this is because the booking website mentions that you can book if you are 65 or over, but does not mention those with underlying health conditions (just the extremely clinically vulnerable group, which is different). As a result of this sloppy phrasing, a lot of people will be wasting time trying to make bookings and, more importantly, wasting the time of GP surgeries and booking services.

I agree, and my understanding of what was said is the same as yours. In fact, I was a little baffled by it, as I'm in the 65-70 group and only got my appointment text three days ago, jab (sorry about using that word!) booked for tomorrow, but have an interest in group 6 for reasons already stated. 

I've just suggested my daughter keeps trying until it works.

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

I agree, and my understanding of what was said is the same as yours. In fact, I was a little baffled by it, as I'm in the 65-70 group and only got my appointment text three days ago, jab (sorry about using that word!) booked for tomorrow, but have an interest in group 6 for reasons already stated. 

I've just suggested my daughter keeps trying until it works.

I think that's the way to go - you may have seen my earlier post - it certainly worked for me in that I avoided the postal delay.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just phoned 119. Amazed that I got through to a human being very quickly. Unfortunately a bit of a dopey one! Took an age for her to input my details to only be told that ‘computer says no’. Seems as though they use the same system that I was using online. Best she could suggest was that the system hadn’t updated and to try again in a few days. Not her fault obviously and I thanked her for trying. Just irritating when the Health Secretary and NHS Medical Director both say on TV this morning that group 6 has started but in reality you can’t make a booking!

Exactly what happened to The Ole Lady earlier.  We also looked on line with the same result.  We'll just try again later.  

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

Quite right. However, the safe upper level is 4,000 IU, twice as much as I take, but the amount that many in the medical profession themselves take...

I agree but would always recommend that people seek medical advice if they have other 

medical issues as I had and due to my heart condition was advised the lower level .

I posted the NHS guidance for everyone's  informed choices .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I think that's the way to go - you may have seen my earlier post - it certainly worked for me in that I avoided the postal delay.  

I did, and very grateful I was for it. Thank you.🙂

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

I agree but would always recommend that people seek medical advice if they have other 

medical issues as I had and due to my heart condition was advised the lower level .

Quite right and thank you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Many years ago I took high dose vit D caps during winter, I have eczema. Summer was not such a problem as sunlight (UVB) is far better than supplemental vit D. Since I retired my eczema has almost cleared up, but I do go out walking especially if the sun is shining. I am pleasantly surprised this year as we have not been away for our usual winter sun and the eczema has been Ok. This link leads to an interesting site for anyone interested.

Vitamin D and COVID-19: evidence and recommendations for supplementation | Royal Society Open Science (royalsocietypublishing.org)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kalos said:

Hi,I just read up on this.They done a trial in Oslo.standing in the midday summer sun for 15 mins gave up to 20000 iu.I must be on borrowed time,all the hours I spent on the beach last year in 30 plus temps.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi,I just read up on this.They done a trial in Oslo.standing in the midday summer sun for 15 mins gave up to 20000 iu.I must be on borrowed time,all the hours I spent on the beach last year in 30 plus temps.

Brian your so modest ,you spent a lot more time on the beach in much higher temperatures

than that . To the locals over there you are a legend , known to some as the mad Englishman 

but to those who understood you you were known as " uomo toast umano" !

Which still translates to mad Brian's in the sunshine again ! :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Brian your so modest ,you spent a lot more time on the beach in much higher temperatures

than that . To the locals over there you are a legend , known to some as the mad Englishman 

but to those who understood you you were known as " uomo toast umano" !

Which still translates to mad Brian's in the sunshine again ! :classic_unsure::classic_smile:

LOL,you don't realise how true that is.When I used to do my 4 mile power walk in 30+, the gardener over the road used to shout "mama mia troppo caldo".Which means bloody hell mate it's too hot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We take 1000 iu vitamin D a day.   My understanding is that this is a good dose for the elderly, and that 2000 is for those with specific bone health concerns only, and that some Doctors do not recommend a very high dose unless really necessary.  The normal maintenance dose  in the winter is 400 iu, and I think that this is what is prescribed by GPs for most people.   (Correct me if necessary).  

Regarding the housebound issue, I am not too anxious personally about it, but do feel that it is an issue that has been ignored by Government, and was incensed by smug Hancock this morning saying on the BBC that if you still want to be vaccinated contact the NHS.  I have phoned them, and they are only able to make appointments at Centres, and can't help with the housebound.  Just don't like feeling ignored!  And sorry for those who live alone and have lots of different carers  going in to look after them, with the possible risks of infection.  

There was a newspaper article in your area and it gave the following link for the roving team. 

https://nottsccg.nhs.uk/covid-19/vaccination-programme-for-housebound-residents/

Maybe worth another call to ask if you are on

THEIR list.

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 1

My 93 year old housebound mother was vaccinated in her home last week after several calls to GP practice. That is in Nottinghamshire. I haven’t been allowed to visit her for several months which makes life difficult for us both because the only visitors she gets are her carers, other medical people and her grandson who lives a few miles away and is bubbled with her.

• Like 5

For what it’s worth, my GP has prescribed just 800 iu vitamin D daily, to aid calcium absorption.  The Royal Osteoporosis Society says this about high doses:

Coronavirus pandemic and vitamin D

Public health advice is that you consider taking a daily supplement of 10 micrograms (sometimes called 400 units) of vitamin D.

This is to help keep your bones and muscles healthy while you stay at home during the pandemic. It is not because vitamin D reduces your risk of coronavirus. Spending more time indoors means you're getting less vitamin D from the sun.

You don't need blood tests to monitor your vitamin D levels before you start a supplement, or while you're taking one.

Do not take a higher dose than recommended, unless your healthcare professional tells you to. Too much vitamin D can be dangerous. Be reassured there is no risk of having too much vitamin D if you follow the advice of your healthcare professional.

If you're already taking vitamin D on the advice of your healthcare professional, you should continue with your normal dose. You don't need to take a bigger dose.

If you're unsure, speak to your healthcare professional, or contact our free Helpline.

• Like 2

We have been taking Vitamin D for last 2 years possibly more, at 400iu per day, plus we have Salmon &/or mackerel once or twice a week, which contains vitamin D as well as Omega 3. Since we have been doing that found we have had less colds than we used to have, might be just a coincidence or there could be something in it. 

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We have been taking Vitamin D for last 2 years possibly more, at 400iu per day, plus we have Salmon &/or mackerel once or twice a week, which contains vitamin D as well as Omega 3. Since we have been doing that found we have had less colds than we used to have, might be just a coincidence or there could be something in it. 

Maybe.  We’ve had less colds too over the last year and put it down to less contact with other people who carry germs, viruses and bacteria around.

• Like 4