Celebrity's updated Cruise Contract

C-Dragons

X's updated Cruise Contract answers a lot of questions regarding cruising and the procedures in place for Covid 19.

Most relevant part starts at number 4.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity_CTC_10.19.2020.pdf

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

X's updated Cruise Contract answers a lot of questions regarding cruising and the procedures in place for Covid 19.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity_CTC_10.19.2020.pdf

Thanks for posting this. Section 4 pretty much defines what we were expecting. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for posting this. Section 4 pretty much defines what we were expecting. 

Yes, I think they covered almost everything.

I wonder though, regarding the pre-cruise testing, if passengers will be responsible for getting this prior to arrival at the pier, or if X will do the testing prior to boarding.

1 minute ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes, I think they covered almost everything.

I wonder though, regarding the pre-cruise testing, if passengers will be responsible for getting this prior to arrival at the pier, or if X will do the testing prior to boarding.

My best guess, bring your own approved negative test documentation or pay (fee varies by location) for an embarkment test at the pier provided by a 3rd party.

Since this requires masks and social distancing, we won't be sailing until those are no longer required. Surely the contract will be amended after vaccination has become wide-spread.  They can't be thinking this will be forever, can they?

7 minutes ago, 39august said:

Since this requires masks and social distancing, we won't be sailing until those are no longer required. Surely the contract will be amended after vaccination has become wide-spread.  They can't be thinking this will be forever, can they?

If anyone here can predict anything that Celebrity is thinking...I will give you my beach house in Scottsdale for free!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

If anyone here can predict anything that Celebrity is thinking...I will give you my beach house in Scottsdale for free!

I can predict that Celebrity is thinking they'll change the contract 'as required'.....offer still stand?  Is the beach house nearby an oasis?

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I can predict that Celebrity is thinking they'll change the contract 'as required'.....offer still stand?  Is the beach house nearby an oasis?

It is all yours my dear, enjoy the view, nothing like cactus on the beach sand, surrounded by the desert ocean

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 39august said:

1) Cruise lines are at the mercy of the ports' requirements.  Six months after cruising resumes, fascial coverings could be no longer required on the ship yet a port or two still require them.

2) The "new normal" will be an ever changing.

3) Vaccines are not 100% effective and even if the claimed 95% effective rate is true, that means an unlucky 1 in 20 could potentially contract the virus after vaccination.  Ports with an overwhelmed healthcare system may still have strict requirements.

4) Cruise lines have to adapt to future outbreaks, this is a wake up call, if a new 2022 virus appears cruise lines have to be ready.  Many predict future cruise ships is be built a lot differently.

5) The worst part for me with cruising isn't the mask or social distancing its most likely needing to book cruise-line run excursions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This contract didn't answer the real important question for me.  What happens if I get test positive while onboard.   The only answer provided is you and your traveling party will most likely be disembarked at the next port and you will receive a pro-rated refund of the unused part of your cruise.   Anything else at your own expense.   While that is not entirely unexpected what about all the requirements for private quarantine facilities and private transportation.

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

This contract didn't answer the real important question for me.  What happens if I get test positive while onboard.   The only answer provided is you and your traveling party will most likely be disembarked at the next port and you will receive a pro-rated refund of the unused part of your cruise.   Anything else at your own expense.   While that is not entirely unexpected what about all the requirements for private quarantine facilities and private transportation.

That stipulation may only apply to ships in US waters and/or ports.

6 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

This contract didn't answer the real important question for me.  What happens if I get test positive while onboard.   ...  While that is not entirely unexpected what about all the requirements for private quarantine facilities and private transportation.

Looks like an incentive to get anyone with Covid off the ship before they return to the US.  I'm not sure that would be my choice.

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

So this contract is for new bookings?  If I have an existing booking, I would think that the contract at the time I made my deposit would be the governing contract.

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

To me the terms of travel as specified just make it a huge and unpredictable risk to cruise any time soon.  If you convert to coronavirus positive,  or even if the cruise line uses is "sole discretion" that it thinks you may be a risk or it thinks that you have not complied with policies as the cruise line sees it, then the cruise line can disembark you then and there. You are then responsible for getting home, and how can you do that?  If you are disembarked on an island somewhere, how can you fly?  What can you do?  

To me, the problem is not the restrictions that may be imposed if I were to cruise. To me the problem is what might happen to me if the cruise line decides any of these things (or, presumably, if anyone ashore so decides, too?).

- Joel  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So this contract is for new bookings?  If I have an existing booking, I would think that the contract at the time I made my deposit would be the governing contract.

You have to acknowledge the contract when doing the online check in so no I think if you don't like the new contract you would need to cancel.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

You have to acknowledge the contract when doing the online check in so no I think if you don't like the new contract you would need to cancel.

That doesn't seem right.  That would mean that Celebrity can change the contract at anytime.  If I don't accept their new terms, I would hope they would give me a full refund.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Would it be possible this contract is applicable to those sailing in the near term (volunteer test sailings) with covid still in the air?  Then amendments as time goes on?  Just a thought.

I would imagine you're signing a NDA if you're selected to take a test cruise.  Continually updated cruise contracts have been around since cruise started; they put their best efforts to avoid litigation.  The most common cruise lawsuit are folks suing for missing a port.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That doesn't seem right.  That would mean that Celebrity can change the contract at anytime.  If I don't accept their new terms, I would hope they would give me a full refund.

If you are able to show that the cruise contract terms changed between the time you booked and time you are about to sign the contract, and there was no notification to you when the change was made outside of the final payment period, then it seems like you could get a full refund, at least here in the U.S. anyway.

Edited by WonderMan3

Initial reaction..Why Bother!  Makes cruising sound like a dangerous expedition,

If this still applies in 2022, we will likely cancel and do what we can to get back the value of our  large FCC.( fat chance) .. and likely write it -off....

15 minutes ago, hcat said:

Initial reaction..Why Bother!  Makes cruising sound like a dangerous expedition,

If this still applies in 2022, we will likely cancel and do what we can to get back the value of our  large FCC.( fat chance) .. and likely write it -off....

As it stands right now, it is a dangerous proposition.  

53 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

If you are able to show that the cruise contract terms changed between the time you booked and time you are about to sign the contract, and there was no notification to you when the change was made outside of the final payment period, then it seems like you could get a full refund, at least here in the U.S. anyway.

That should be pretty easy, I have several cruises that were booked before Covid was invented.

• Like 1