Quantum returning to port - possible coronavirus case onboard.

55 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Every time there's a reported case onboard a cruise ship, the media (mainstream and social) goes ballistic, with many doing their happy dance - "see? We told you cruising would never be safe!"

But when the initial reports turn out to be false positives, they're nowhere to be found. Typical. Which is why I am not basing a blasted thing on what the media says. What I choose to do (or not to do) is ZERO PERCENT dictated by what I read online. Too many people with an axe to grind or forming opinions based on ignorance and speculation. Nope.

51 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Nope....that is the news reports.  90% of every news report is either false, or truth stretched.  Don't believe everything that you are told

Who do you believe? How do you make informed decisions if you start from the position that everything you hear and read is wrong?

20 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

So what does "going into quarantine" imply?  Will passengers be restricted to ship for a period of time or considering all are Singapore residents will those who test negative simply be allowed to disembark and return home?

So over ONE case they are heading back. I have no words.  What happened to following procedures?  Can't they quarantine the patient and those bracelets aka trackers should know who he/she has come in contact with.  This is ridiculous.  Folks- say good-bye to cruising!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

However, whether the test was a true or false result, it appears the response to one possible case, at least for now, is lock down the ship and terminate the cruise.

Are enough people going  to accept this risk to get cruising restarted in a meaningful way in the U.S.?

Exactly. This is absurd.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Our heart transplant nurse is not sure if they can get the vaccine.  Right now live vaccines are prohibited  as well as being around the grandkids if they get the live vaccine shots such as the chicken pox shot.  They just don’t know how the immunosuppressed will respond.

The mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Mkderna) are not live vaccines and should be quite safe. They do not contain covid-19 in any form.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

The NBA was quite successful, other than in the early stages,  in containing C19 as the league required the players and staff to stay in a bubble environment.  Question, can cruising achieve the same results if proper protocols are followed.

Ps.  Can't remember if testing was done every or multiple times a day.

Players, coaches, etc., were tested daily. The NBA had a pretty rigorous and extensive set of rules. It worked but I doubt many would be willing to undergo the experience (again). Even NBA millionaires. Certainly not cruise aficionados.

5 hours ago, masteradept said:

Here's some good news. Apparently it was a false positive test on board the ship. Looks like they'll be confirming it with more testing tomorrow.

5.   An 83 year-old male Singaporean on board Royal Caribbean International’s Quantum of the Seas tested positive for COVID-19 infection this morning, and was immediately isolated. He had reported to the medical centre with diarrhoea, and as part of the protocols was tested for COVID-19 using the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test equipment on board the ship. His original sample has since been re-tested at the National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL), and has come back negative for COVID-19 infection. A second fresh sample tested by NPHL has also come back negative. NPHL will conduct another test tomorrow to confirm his COVID-19 status.

See we can't even trust the tests!!  This is absurd.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Every time there's a reported case onboard a cruise ship, the media (mainstream and social) goes ballistic, with many doing their happy dance - "see? We told you cruising would never be safe!"

But when the initial reports turn out to be false positives, they're nowhere to be found. Typical. Which is why I am not basing a blasted thing on what the media says. What I choose to do (or not to do) is ZERO PERCENT dictated by what I read online. Too many people with an axe to grind or forming opinions based on ignorance and speculation. Nope.

I think the point here is that one case that was a false positive ended the cruise. Are you willing to take the risk of booking a cruise, flying or driving to port  just to have ending abruptly? Too me that's worse than 10 positive cases in terms a vacation that could have been spent doing something else.

1 minute ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

See we can't even trust the tests!!  This is absurd.

Yep. This is exactly why I posted above that I'm not joining in the chorus of "cruising is over" every single time there's even a hint of a possibility of COVID. Other people can make rash decisions, but I won't be one of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think the point here is that one case that was a false positive ended the cruise. Are you willing to take the risk of booking a cruise, flying or driving to port  just to have ending abruptly? Too me that's worse than 10 positive cases in terms a vacation that could have been spent doing something else.

Yes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, broberts said:

The mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Mkderna) are not live vaccines and should be quite safe. They do not contain covid-19 in any form.

Players, coaches, etc., were tested daily. The NBA had a pretty rigorous and extensive set of rules. It worked but I doubt many would be willing to undergo the experience (again). Even NBA millionaires. Certainly not cruise aficionados.

If they want to get paid the millions in salary, they will play.  The NFL is considering playing the playoffs in a bubble environment to avoid C19 infections.  The NFL has issues under the present protocols.

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Nope....that is the news reports.  90% of every news report is either false, or truth stretched.  Don't believe everything that you are told

And you are basing your beliefs on what?

2 hours ago, mek said:

Not me.  I love cruising but until things are back, or very close to the way they were pre-covid, then I'll look for different ways to travel for a year or two.  That may mean more travel in the US and that can only benefit our economy.

Not any better.  If I travel outside of NJ, except for certain states eg. NYS, I will have to quarantine for 14 days.

Just now, nelblu said:

Not any better.  If I travel outside of NJ, except for certain states eg. NYS, I will have to quarantine for 14 days.

Well that is right now - I'm talking about late spring/summer 2021. By then I think things will open up, but possibly not cruising, or at least cruising that will be satisfactory to me.

I'm not going anywhere until I get the vaccine - land or sea.

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

Who do you believe? How do you make informed decisions if you start from the position that everything you hear and read is wrong?

Well, the news says, it will take 3-5 days to begin shipping, but the company (in my county) that is making it, been stockpiling vaccines for a month and the shipping has already started.  It will be held until approval date, and than administered within hours, not days.  In the old days, a reporter would investigate.  Now a person tells them a "story" and they report it as it was told.  Why not dig a little deeper, find out more?  News today is fast and easy.  The bottom line?  There is no timetable.....but it will be faster than what is reported, and how fast?  We will see, but a lot of money has been put into getting production up for this.  Stockpiles are "insured" by the federal government until distribution, so no risk on companies.  

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I used to think that cruising would not resume in North America until summer 2021......I would like to change my answer to Winter 2022. I am also beginning to think that the Cruise lines do not make it out of this as is........

A few months ago I really thought late spring would be when cruises started back up, but now I think mid to late summer is a realistic expectation.  Of course, this is only my opinion and certainly not based on any scientific data.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mek said:

Well that is right now - I'm talking about late spring/summer 2021. By then I think things will open up, but possibly not cruising, or at least cruising that will be satisfactory to me.

I'm not going anywhere until I get the vaccine - land or sea.

Agreed, cruising or otherwise.

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Our heart transplant nurse is not sure if they can get the vaccine.  Right now live vaccines are prohibited  as well as being around the grandkids if they get the live vaccine shots such as the chicken pox shot.  They just don’t know how the immunosuppressed will respond.

My DH is an organ transplant recipient too and same boat.    Transplant nurse we spoke with end of November said the vaccine test studies did include some high risk people but did not know of any transplant recipients being involved in the vaccine trial.     The covid vaccine is Not a live vaccine so that's on our side.     Hopefully they will able to get the vaccine and hopefully it will work on them.   Still a lot of unknowns.     Stay Safe!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have no idea what the logistics would be to run 930 tests every day.

Would you be able to relax and enjoy your cruise/vacation with that hanging over your head every day?    I think getting testing everyday would drive me nuts instead of give me peace of mind. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Would you be able to relax and enjoy your cruise/vacation with that hanging over your head every day?    I think getting testing everyday would drive me nuts instead of give me peace of mind. 

Exactly. Not to mention the ramifications of those test and thinking everytime the PA system activates that this could be the announcement putting the ship into lock down.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Exactly. Not to mention the ramifications of those test and thinking everytime the PA system activates that this could be the announcement putting the ship into lock down.

And the more tests, the more likely that is to happen.  Whether it's a real positive or false positive test......

1 hour ago, RCLcruiser2012 said:

So over ONE case they are heading back. I have no words.  What happened to following procedures?  Can't they quarantine the patient and those bracelets aka trackers should know who he/she has come in contact with.  This is ridiculous.  Folks- say good-bye to cruising!

I wonder if it was because it was the very first cruise back.  Had it happened on cruise #5, would it have been treated as a one-off, isolated case and the cruise continue?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Not surprised! The incubation period of catching covid is between 4 and about 15 days. You stand next to a person infected with covid and not become positive until at least 4 days later.

So the negative pre-travel test really do not help as you might catch it on the way to airport and during your journey to the port to board the ship.

Here in Bermuda we have now seen an increase of positives ... the travellers (returning residents or tourists) test negative for their pre-travel but test positive on arrival, OR test negative on their pre-travel and arrival tests but positive on day 4 test, OR test negative on first 3 tests and test positive on day 8 test. All arrivals must quarantine until their day 8 test.

Very true. My coworkers husband came down with covid and was sick as a dog. My coworker, who lives in the same house, was symptomatic and didn't test positive until 5 days later. This virus is no joke and testing is not perfect. A vaccine is our only hope at this point!

• Like 1