Multiple countries COVID-19 test required

silversurf

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I must admit to being surprised. On the NHS England website there is an image of the record card with a warning for you to keep it safe. Has anyone who has had the Covid jab in England anything to add. ?

I'm in Scotland so can't comment on what happens in England.  I am due my second dose next Thursday.  I will ask but I don't expect to get a definative answer.   I have put myself down to do vaccines as part of the Oxford rollout which i full expect to be given the green light by the end of this year.  People will want proof.

Edited by Dinglebert

6 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

I'm in Scotland so can't comment on what happens in Englandville.

I would have thought that having a record card may prove essential in the coming months. I will want one ( especially if it's free ). I don't know if any have been issued in England, but if they have then they should be available throughout the whole UK, not just England. Perhaps Walesville issue them also😁 I did try and add N.I ville but spellcheck didn't like that, so I gived up.

Edited by zap99

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Apparently looks like thisimage.png.64e292f532121c97c98bc1918037b2e3.png

I do not see anything on there saying it is a requirement for travel.  It does however give details of the date administered, the vaccine and batch number which could be useful from a medical perspective in the future, along with the date of the second appointment.  Also gives a website address, which can be used to obtain further information.

In contrast to that, any requirement for foreign travel would be mentioned on the FCO site under the country to be visited.  Maybe something like that will be used for proof in the future, either within or outside the UK, but if so would have to be accepted by wherever you were intending to visit and I am not aware of anything like that even being discussed at present.

Edited by tring

1 minute ago, tring said:

I do not see anything on there saying it is a requirement for travel.  It does however give details of the date administered, the vaccine and batch number which could be useful from a medical perspective in the future, along with the date of the second appointment.  Also gives a website address, which can be used to obtain further information.

In contrast to that, any requirement for foreign travel would be mentioned on the FCO site under the country to be visited.  Maybe something like that will be used for proof in the future, either within or outside the UK, but if so would have to be accepted by wherever you were intending to visit and I am aware of anything about that even being discussed at present.

It may be something that will be required in the future. Gove has said it isn't a passport, but lots of discussion on here a few weeks ago. Who knows, but if they are giving them out, I want one as well.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I would have thought that having a record card may prove essential in the coming months. I will want one ( especially if it's free ). I don't know if any have been issued in England, but if they have then they should be available throughout the whole UK, not just England. Perhaps Walesville issue them also😁 I did try and add N.I ville but spellcheck didn't like that, so I gived up.

Can’t tell you Zap because I don’t know of anyone getting the vaccine yet apart from health workers. Progress is very very slow I’m afraid - my father hasn’t heard anything and is very put out that Prue Leith had hers on the 15th! 

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

Can’t tell you Zap because I don’t know of anyone getting the vaccine yet apart from health workers. Progress is very very slow I’m afraid - my father hasn’t heard anything and is very put out that Prue Leith had hers on the 15th! 

I don't know your Dad, but I would put him way further up the list than her.🤣

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It may be something that will be required in the future. Gove has said it isn't a passport, but lots of discussion on here a few weeks ago. Who knows, but if they are giving them out, I want one as well.

Yes, I quite agree and I did say it may become accepted in the future.  Gove may well have a part to play in any proof which may be needed within the UK, but as I said, surely any country you wish to visit would have the end say on what is acceptable by them, or all countries would be part of a decision if that is made on a world wide basis (possibly a WHO function).  You are quite right a great deal has been discussed on here and can often cause a lot more confusion.

If there was something accepted internationally, I would suspect that would be in some type of international formation and not just a card issued by one individual country.  Perhaps possible the PHE one could be needed, or at least desirable, for entry to certain places within England, or the UK if the other UK countries do similar.  Would need to have more or less everyone vaccinated though, unless perhaps we end up needing proof of vaccination, or proof of age, which at the time is below the age of vaccine delivery...... 

Now there is me making speculations - it is tempting isn't it 🙂

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I don't know your Dad, but I would put him way further up the list than her.🤣

Ha! Well he’s 82 and has health issues. He was in the official shielding group during the first lockdown and was quite looking forward to being called up quickly for the vaccine. It’s people like him that I think about when I sometimes get frustrated with the restrictions and it serves to remind me why they’re in place. 

• Like 6

Wife's stepfather who is 87 and has underlying health conditions has already had hi first vaccine and is due his second, his wife my wife's mother  is 82 with underlying health conditions has not heard a thing but they do have different doctor's surgeries so I dont know if that has any effect.

2 hours ago, tring said:

In contrast to that, any requirement for foreign travel would be mentioned on the FCO site under the country to be visited.  Maybe something like that will be used for proof in the future, either within or outside the UK, but if so would have to be accepted by wherever you were intending to visit and I am not aware of anything like that even being discussed at present.

It appears that Spain are going to have an online list so that cards can be checked for authenticity at the border and will be available to EU states. UK aren't in it, but gives an insight into their thinking.

• Like 1

The problem with these printed cards is they are easily forgeable. Any system needs to be verifiable at the point of entry. The Spanish system is interesting in that it records people who refuse a vaccine so would only work properly if everyone had been offered the vaccine. As apparently it will not be available to companies so it will be border control who use it. If adopted by the EU, and Spain has already said it will be available to EU countries, I imagine the UK would have to participate as well so UK cruisers could visit EU ports. As others have said, time will tell and we first have to deal with the worsening situation we have now and roll out the vaccine in large quantities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I got my opposite view from my first vaccination just under 3 weeks ago.  I asked about informing my GP and was told not to bother as they were not informing GP's of who has had the vaccine or not.  Just the same as the flu vaccine.  I used to get a slip of paper from the hospital to let my GP know but they stopped that a few years ago.     If needed I will do a Subject Access Request to my health board asking only for my vaccination record.   I could of course access my own record and print it out but given I current job in part is to investigate such incidents I don't think I will!

I notice you're in Scotland. Could you have different system in place there?

Avril

47 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It's interesting to read in  the different areas who has had the vaccine and who hasn't. My mother is 88 with underlying health issues and hasn't heard anything, but my son who works in a pharmacy has been told he can have it!

It does seem to be a bit of a lottery at the moment, some health area's seem better geared up to handle the complicated supply chain issues than others. Hopefully the coming weeks will see the mass rollout of the new vaccine. The problem is then that there will be people wanting to pick which vaccine they  have😁

17 hours ago, zap99 said:

It appears that Spain are going to have an online list so that cards can be checked for authenticity at the border and will be available to EU states. UK aren't in it, but gives an insight into their thinking.

15 hours ago, davecttr said:

The problem with these printed cards is they are easily forgeable. Any system needs to be verifiable at the point of entry. The Spanish system is interesting in that it records people who refuse a vaccine so would only work properly if everyone had been offered the vaccine. As apparently it will not be available to companies so it will be border control who use it. If adopted by the EU, and Spain has already said it will be available to EU countries, I imagine the UK would have to participate as well so UK cruisers could visit EU ports. As others have said, time will tell and we first have to deal with the worsening situation we have now and roll out the vaccine in large quantities.

The idea of something that can be checked at borders would be good, but may only work within the EU.  Even if the UK wished to participate in that, I see no reason why the EU should treat the UK differently to any other country worldwide regards that request.

I fear the fact we will be completely out of the EU system in a few days (may be wrong wording but I am sure all know what I mean), could make quite a difference with a number of things.  The fact that the EU have ordered loads more of the Astro Zeneca vaccine may not help with the ease of transport for our already ordered vaccine's delivery into the UK either, as I understand the early supply is being produced there.  As many issues can be effected by both the pandemic and Brexit, no one could say what would have happened if each had happened at different times.

Lots to be clarified yet though with the vaccines and their effect long term and potential for some transmission as well.  The thing I am interested in is the fact that the vaccines appear to remove the chance of severe disease and hospitalisation, which is what has caused the current crisis, compared to other pandemics which have not necessarily brought society as we knew it previously to a halt.  

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Financial Times has a  front page article today about the development of a digital passport including COVID vaccination details. It is in the USA but also notes the UK government is funding a pilot health passport project.

will this become the new normal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reports in today's Times that several EU countries are drawing up official vaccine certificate style entry requirements including Greece, Cyprus, Poland and Denmark.

It is also reported that EU leaders will be discussing this issue next week with the intention of setting up an EU wide "vaccine passport" system to allow free movement within the EU for those who have been jabbed.

Since Brexit of course, we are out of the loop and will have to play catch-up, if and when we do introduce our own vaccine passport. Also any system we do introduce will inevitably have to be scrutinised and approved by the EU before it can be rolled out.

Up until now the Government have been fairly adamant that we will not be introducing such a system but we may be in line to witness another dramatic U-turn if the travel industry ends up in the toilet because nobody from the UK can enter EU or other countries overseas due to the lack of proof that they have been vaccinated.

This is just another potential nail in the coffin for any hopes that international cruising can resume during 2021. Could be a lot of round Britain cruise itineraries being launched in the near future

2 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Up until now the Government have been fairly adamant that we will not be introducing such a system but we may be in line to witness another dramatic U-turn if the travel industry ends up in the toilet because nobody from the UK can enter EU or other countries overseas due to the lack of proof that they have been vaccinated.

Recent history has taught (most of) us that the more adamantly our government denies something is going to happen, the more likely it is that it will.🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, arlowood said:

because nobody from the UK can enter EU or other countries overseas due to the lack of proof that they have been vaccinated

Then we treat them the same way and ban them from entering our country whether they have been vaccinated or not.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 8:18 PM, zap99 said:

If they do exclude UK tourists then their hospitality industry will go belly up. Somehow I suspect they will find a way to accept whatever system the UK adopts.

• Like 4

On 12/29/2020 at 9:12 AM, silversurf said:

Thanks for your opinions folks. Very interesting.

Apparently you don’t get an official vaccination certificate (as you do with yellow fever) from the NHS, so how do you prove it?

I got a little card when I had mine.

• Like 2

As per my post in the vaccine thread we’re actually vaccinating at a higher rate than our European neighbours at the moment. It’s a bit cheeky of them to deny us when we are heading towards at least the most vulnerable being vaccinated way before the other countries.

I think it’s the Uk for holidays again this year.

• Like 1