Operations Now Paused To May 14, 2021

Syracusefan44

15 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Depends what your cruise fare was - you will see that on your confirmation (first line). It doesn't include taxes/port fees, airfare, vacation protection, or any other extras - these will be refunded to original form of payment. The cruise fare will be one FCC (given to each person) and then you will have an additional FCC for 25% of that amount (per person).

Thank you so much for this information, your instructions were helpful and I now have my answer.  

20 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

I appreciate the knowledge of all of you posters. 

We booked an Alaska cruise for May 2021 which is now cancelled.  Because of a promotional, we paid in full when we booked ($4683.) This was 9 months before the cruise.

What would we receive as a FCC?

Sadly, the Canadian ports and the border remain closed anyway. I have never seen any

promotional when you need to pay in full. I am so surprised that they would even

ask for that during these crazy times.

20 minutes ago, nini said:

Sadly, the Canadian ports and the border remain closed anyway. I have never seen any

promotional when you need to pay in full. I am so surprised that they would even

ask for that during these crazy times.

The promotional was offered last August for those already booked on  specific selected cruises. If you paid off the cruise in full you got 10% off the cruise and a few other nice benefits with it.  We thought it was worth taking and had no regrets.  I think that the reason Princess did it was to bring in some much needed cash.  That full payment will now net us a nice FCC.

Lets hope the vaccines start ramping up so everyone can get one;  then the CDC will be able to advise the cruise lines when they can start sailing again.  I saw on another thread; Carnival has cancelled a few of their ships thru Oct 2021

I do not see that the CDC will change the rules on cruising before November 1, even if people have a vaccine.   The moderna and pfizer vaccines have a 95% efficacy, based on 2 doses given within a specific amount of time.   With talk that some countries may only give one dose and others that are approving the oxford/astrazeneca vaccine which has a lower efficacy, there is a chance that people can still get the virus.  Who knows what the efficacy of the J&J vaccine will be.   Also, over the next few months, there will be other vaccines approved worldwide, which may or may not be approved in the US.  

We are going to go through a very bad couple of months and the regulators will not want to make many changes for awhile.

7 hours ago, CincyAL said:

Don't plan on going to Alaska anytime  2021 if there is a stop in Canada.  

And currently Canada has these restrictions for those arriving by air:

COVID-19 testing required for people flying into Canada

Starting January 7, 2021, air travellers 5 years of age or older are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to the airline prior to boarding international flights bound for Canada. See new requirements for air travellers.

Mandatory 14-day quarantine or isolation

Everyone entering Canada must follow mandatory isolation or quarantine requirements. Not respecting the mandatory requirements is a serious offence and you could face consequences and penalties.

All of us on these boards are only speculating...our rhetoric holds absolutely no water,  sooooo, .....maybe we should just be a little more patient and see how the vaccines change things.  Remember all the unfounded hysteria over the speculation of getting a doctor to certify that cruisers had no pre-existing conditions....that was certainly a moot point!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

And currently Canada has these restrictions for those arriving by air:

COVID-19 testing required for people flying into Canada

Starting January 7, 2021, air travellers 5 years of age or older are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to the airline prior to boarding international flights bound for Canada. See new requirements for air travellers.

Mandatory 14-day quarantine or isolation

Everyone entering Canada must follow mandatory isolation or quarantine requirements. Not respecting the mandatory requirements is a serious offence and you could face consequences and penalties.

In my opinion this is about time!

Ontario maybe increasing restrictions next week. Slow roll out of vaccines here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

In my opinion this is about time!

Ontario maybe increasing restrictions next week. Slow roll out of vaccines here. 

Agreed! Senseless closing the land borders but letting in flights with no testing requirements this whole time. From what I'm hearing (at least in BC) the mandatory 14 day quarantine has really not been monitored well, either. Many of us living here on the West Coast WISH we could get some increased restrictions - I fear out public health has lost control of the situation here. Definitely can't see ships coming to Vancouver or Victoria this year.

• Like 1

Is there some good news.  Initial reports state that the 1st vaccination without a booster may result in up to 80% Immunity.  To break the transmission of the vaccine we do not need for the vaccine to be 100% effective and even one vaccination may be enough to generate herd immunity.  In addition, the in-coming Biden administration is determined to break the slow arrival of vaccines in the United States within the first several weeks of him taking office. 

Lets hope. 

4 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Is there some good news.  Initial reports state that the 1st vaccination without a booster may result in up to 80% Immunity.  To break the transmission of the vaccine we do not need for the vaccine to be 100% effective and even one vaccination may be enough to generate herd immunity.... 

Source?

Last I heard, no one knows because the trials were based on a three week interval between doses. No one received a single dose?

BTW, herd immunity is also determined by the proportion of the population vaccinated.  80% population and 80% efficacy  will only protect 2/3 of the population. 

5 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Is there some good news.  Initial reports state that the 1st vaccination without a booster may result in up to 80% Immunity.  To break the transmission of the vaccine we do not need for the vaccine to be 100% effective and even one vaccination may be enough to generate herd immunity.  In addition, the in-coming Biden administration is determined to break the slow arrival of vaccines in the United States within the first several weeks of him taking office. 

Lets hope

There is enough skepticism about the speedy development of the vaccines. But the science says (and the EUAs were issued based on that science) for the two vaccines in the USA that two doses with 3 or 4 weeks (depending on the vaccine) between the full doses works.

Even with that science, a surprisingly number of health professionals are refusing to get vaccinated.

"may be" and "let's hope" are wishful thinking, not science. Deviate from the science and even more people will be skeptical of getting the vaccines.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

All of us on these boards are only speculating...our rhetoric holds absolutely no water,  sooooo, .....maybe we should just be a little more patient and see how the vaccines change things.  Remember all the unfounded hysteria over the speculation of getting a doctor to certify that cruisers had no pre-existing conditions....that was certainly a moot point!

Here is what Costa is currently saying in respect to how things will be:

https://www.costacruises.com/cruising-soon-again/safety-above-all.html?utm_source=DB_Costa_TA&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TP_Cyber_W47

14 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Lets hope. 

US vaccine "roll out" is slow yes, but second( tied with UK) only to Israel in the world.  700K vaccinated yesterday, a new high. Need to get California on board to finally break the daily 1 million mark. 

15 hours ago, caribill said:

And Royal Caribbean

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5806

It’s nice that Royal Caribbean is saying that masks will be required outside of cabins unless eating, drinking, or sitting. However, judging by the number of tantrums we see in stores by people refusing to wear masks, I anticipate that many who don’t want to wear masks will just walk around the ship holding a cup and saying that they’re drinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, quakershaker said:

It’s nice that Royal Caribbean is saying that masks will be required outside of cabins unless eating, drinking, or sitting. However, judging by the number of tantrums we see in stores by people refusing to wear masks, I anticipate that many who don’t want to wear masks will just walk around the ship holding a cup and saying that they’re drinking.

at 'Disney World' - the policy was you had to be 'stationary', not walking, to consume food or beverage

we followed the rule ... - I would stop, remove mask, and take a drink of my $ 9.00 stella , then move on

I know, I know - it's Disney ...

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, caribill said:

An article from Cruise Critic on the subject

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5810/

Thanks - I hadn't read this. Pretty much confirms what most of us from BC are thinking. One question, though, - if ships did roundtrip from Seattle are they required to make Victoria a port call (as in passengers getting off) or could they satisfy the PVSA by simply having the ship stop there but not letting anyone disembark? That might be a way around the rule if they could do that? Maybe? Obviously, that would cut out any cruisetour possibilities...

On 1/9/2021 at 6:32 PM, stevenr597 said:

Lets hope. 

He may speed delivery from big pharma ... but what will be done to get local health depts to speed up actual vaccinations?

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

He may speed delivery from big pharma ... but what will be done to get local health depts to speed up actual vaccinations?

In our area the problem is lack of vaccine, not lack of places to receive an injection.

For example, our county (population over 300,000) health department received a shipment of 400 doses so far.

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Thanks - I hadn't read this. Pretty much confirms what most of us from BC are thinking. One question, though, - if ships did roundtrip from Seattle are they required to make Victoria a port call (as in passengers getting off) or could they satisfy the PVSA by simply having the ship stop there but not letting anyone disembark? That might be a way around the rule if they could do that? Maybe? Obviously, that would cut out any cruisetour possibilities...

No, cheng has commented on this before as this used to be done with a stop in Mexico that did not let people off until the government put a stop to it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

In our area the problem is lack of vaccine, not lack of places to receive an injection.

For example, our county (population over 300,000) health department received a shipment of 400 doses so far.

Not sure exactly where we stand on vaccinations here ... seems de-centralized with some unique priorities.

Our county health dept has jurisdiction over 2.5 million people ... in addition, tho part of the same county, Chicago has its own vaccine allocation and priorities for administratikn to its millions.

We've been hunkered down at home for more than 10 months.  Even tho we both are over 70, not seeing a vaccine on our horizon any time soon.

Very frustrating.

Different priority groups in different counties and regions of Illinois.