The Daily for Sunday Jan 17, 2021

richwmn

today is Ditch New Years Resolutions Day, Ben Franklin Day, and National Bootleggers Day

For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Meal suggestion for today - Pesto Rice-Stuffed Chicken

Drink of the Day - Whiskey Sour

Wine of the day - Muga Seleccion Especial Reserva - Spain - Red

at Sea Pacific off San Diego
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam

Freeport Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam

Portland UK
Volendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Zaandam

0117Carib.png

0117England.png

0117SDiego.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I didn't make any New Years Resolutions today so I guess I'm safe from Ditching them.  A big salute to Ben Frankllin.  I wonder if bootleggers were celebrated because the traditional sources of alcohol were needed when Prohibition ended and they filled the gap.  I love the quote.  Pesto Rice-Stuffed Chicken  sounds nice.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

Master Marley awaiting test results (hooray for good vet report)

StLouisCruiser’s MIL, Sister, and 2 nephews

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s BIL’s mom

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, luvtwotrvl

Occasional contributors includin Cjcruiser and arzz

Congrats to Packers and Bills (while Baltimore is in mourning)

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Himself out of quarantine

Unexpected jab for Icand1923

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

I don't make New Year's resolutions, so I don't have to ditch any either.😉

Interesting quote, something to ponder.

Thanks for the meal suggestion, but we had chicken last night.

I'd love a whisky sour.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Love the maps.

Sending prayers for everyone, and cheers to everyone with something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Today's alternate meal suggestion is Apple  Orange and Cucumber Salad, Surf and Turf, and Almond and Orange Cake as served on the Prinsendam January 17, 2019. It was a Gala night and the Black and White Ball.

dishes17.jpg

The little glass in the upper left panel is some kind of palette cleanser.  There was a Black and White Ball that evening and the penguins were dressed for the occasion,.

bwpenguins.jpg

Roy

• Like 25

Roy, yesterday's "Prohibition Remembrance Day" was for the beginning of Prohibition --

The U.S. Senate proposed the Eighteenth Amendment on December 18, 1917. Upon being approved by a 36th state on January 16, 1919, the amendment was ratified as a part of the Constitution. By the terms of the amendment, the country went dry one year later, on January 17, 1920.

Bootleggers came into existence to fill the desires of those who wished to continue the consumption of alcohol. To some extent, the profession continues today.

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if bootleggers were celebrated because the traditional sources of alcohol were needed when Prohibition ended and they filled the gap. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! How appropriate for Bootleggers Day to follow Prohibition Remembrance Day! Ben was a very inventive man. I am not ditching my resolution, because it is to remain virus free until I get the vaccine. 

Roy thank you for taking such care of our lists! Go Betty White! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Jacqui, hope things are stable at your end. Love the quote & meal suggestion. It was 32 here this morning. Bindi did not dilly-dally on our morning walk. You Northern, hardy folk would have laughed, if you had seen me with my nose buried in my scarf. Heck , I was laughing.

Mostly a do nothing day, though I need to do a bit more on one of my To Dos from yesterday.  

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone.

To all the USA folk near major cities, state capitals, or DC, please be safe. Roy, my friend in Baltimore said Governor Hogan is taking things very seriously, so stay safe!

Pick a vintage, any vintage.  This Rioja from Spain has excellent ratings: mid to high 90s! Decent price, too. I found a starting price of $34.99 online. The descriptions are almost poetic!

Winemaker Notes

A deep, very dense black-cherry color. The nose reveals ripe, red berry fruit aromas together with notes of spices (pepper) and forest floor against a backdrop of coffee variations, such as milk coffee toffee and roasted coffee beans mingling with subtle well-integrated oak. Silky on the palate with tannins showing through, indicating the wine’s youth and good ageing potential and providing an elegant and balanced structure.

JS96 James Suckling: The balance and purity to this wine is really impressive with blackberries, black truffles and dark fruit. Wet earth. Full body. Tight and compact. Structured, long and powerful. Superb length. Compressed and polished texture. Drink in 2022.
WS93 Wine Spectator: Velvety yet vivacious, this red has a lovely texture. Expressive flavors of maraschino cherry, red currant, orange peel, clove and vanilla are supported by round tannins and citrusy acidity. Fresh and focused, in the traditional style. Drink now through 2030.
  • Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Isn't it interesting that Prohibition Recognition Day is immediately followed by Bootlegger Day . . . necessity is the mother of invention!  LOL  A great quote, but you'll notice that the person in the room who dislikes cats is the first one the cat will go to.

Had to do an emergency run to the vet yesterday; our dear Sochi began limping terribly, and it was clear there was something wrong with her paw.  Although she didn't want me touching it, to me it appeared she may have ripped out a claw, and she was licking it incessantly.  Fortunately the vet's office was open on a Saturday morning and we were able to get her in.  It turns out her "thumb claw" instead of shedding itself, continued to grow and turned inward, growing into the pad of her foot.  A short while later it was taken care of, she was given an antibiotic injection and an anti-inflammatory injection and we were on our way.  I said to DH (she's his cat, technically) "I just paid nearly $200 for your cat's ingrown toenail."  LOL   She was much better by late afternoon, and this morning isn't limping at all.

Great dinner suggestion, but I don't have any pesto on hand; I do have ham and cheese though, so the 2 chicken breasts in the fridge will likely be turned into chicken cordon bleu for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do. Special thoughts going out to all of the USA.  Raising our wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

Good morning.  @ger_77 happy Sochi is feeling better.  Hate those ingrown toenails.  The quote is so true, but as in many households our cat prefers my dh although he isn't especially fond of cats.  The meal sounds good but we are finishing all the leftovers today.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Hope the vaccine rolls out for everyone soon.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Whiskey Sour:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Bourbon whiskey, 1 dash egg white, 1 oz (2 parts) Fresh lemon juice, 1/2 oz (1 part) Gomme syrup
Preparation: Shake with ice. Strain into ice-filled old-fashioned glass to serve "on the rocks."
Served: Shaken; on the rocks
Standard garnish: Lemon rind, Maraschino cherry, Orange slice, Sugared glass

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 8.55.20 AM.png

• Like 18

Good morning, everyone.

I don't make New Year's resolutions of the traditional variety, but try to keep the sentiment of this Emily Dickinson poem as my constant resolution.   I'm not always successful, but I try.

“If I can stop one heart from breaking”

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

Emily Dickinson

• Like 28

Thanks for the Daily Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Can’t celebrate Ditch New Years Resolution Day as:

EC16862A-03E5-43AE-990B-9581C1EF668E.thumb.jpeg.ef14bee0b15c076a2abb9d352d6d9ef6.jpeg

Ben Franklin was quite the man and if we were in prohibition, I’d need the services of a bootlegger 😉 

A big Happy birthday to Betty White at the young age of 99!

Meal suggestion sounds good but we just did chicken so I think I will try to think of something different for tonight.

@ger_77so happy to hear that Sochi’s vet was able to resolve her problem quickly and she is feeling better already.  I hope your DH repaid you 😉 

I really wish I had found this one for Dress Up dog day.  It’s an oldie but a goodie.

C7958E78-FC69-4C03-A7F9-F60FB3D45811.thumb.jpeg.10cfbb1e840c65b475912e2cf33a1d75.jpeg

Another red wine today - so for all of the wine drinkers out there (whether it be red or white): 

89AEAE2F-65D8-42DA-9529-5C83A35FF557.thumb.jpeg.79d432305bcb917ef0781454f46654d4.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those who need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list (and Betty White).

Have a great Sunday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

Starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.  Our front-line workers are mostly all vaccinated and the Health Department is going to start distributing vaccine to Group 1B population starting tomorrow.  I just got drafted to man the checkout station at a local middle school.  Although it is sponsored by the Health Department, it will be run by staff from our hospital.  We have a large group of nurses, pharmacists and admin folks who will be there at 0730 tomorrow to begin vaccinating folks.  The scheduling phone line has been swamped so it looks like we will be doing this for some time...

Please, WEAR A MASK for the time being.  Socially distance and sign up for the vaccine...  I need to get back to cruising... 

• Like 24

Good Morning, I truly know what it’s like to be ignored by a cat.  Seven of them are doing that right now!😆. I was planning on heading to the liquor store as today’s excursion, I may have a few empties to return.  No idea on what’s for dinner but chicken does sound good.

• Like 12

I'll be popping a small beef roast (sirloin tip if I remember correctly) in the oven for tonight. Probably with roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts. 

Today in 2019 we were in Saint Thomas as we neared the end of our 14 day collector's cruise on the Nieuw Statendam. We did the "St Thomas Island Drive" through HAL to use up some OBC. It was useful to see more of the island than we had in the past. It took us to Mountain Top and its huge gift shop. We were there too early (for me at least) to try one of their "famous" banana daiquiris. I wanted to buy a bottle of rum, but unfortunately the one I wanted was out of stock (it might not have fit in my suitcase anyway) -

DSC_0902.thumb.JPG.91ea7343419ff1b52fb53d26ebbb3324.JPG

The views were impressive and there were some nice flowers around the entrance -

DSC_0891.thumb.JPG.586998cf4960108ccee1af36c5779e9c.JPGDSC_0909.thumb.JPG.0b9b3d0b458ab8195b183b76ac3150ca.JPGDSC_0907.thumb.JPG.597982e14c3ea3d33b55f7632aa8ae07.JPG

The Charlotte Amalie Scenic Overlook views were also impressive -

DSC_0920.thumb.JPG.e86659a2bf38843c6c664dc594f29180.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
Spelling
  • Like 23

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions either. Meal suggestion sounds good but I’m not really a fan of chicken on it’s own (I like it if it is mixed with other ingredients, like pot pie or casseroles). However I do like chicken drumsticks and wings if they are crispy. I’m going to check out the freezer for inspiration. I think I might have some wings hidden in there. One of my favorite ways to make them is to marinate them in a zip lock bag with taco seasoning, no oil, that way they get crispy when you bake them. I serve them with sour cream but I think ranch dressing would work too. 

I’m in a cranky mood today, didn’t sleep well last night and the dog moved around a lot. Yes, he sleeps with me and keeps me warm. For some reason he just radiates warmth. Even our vet mentioned it at his initial exam. 

Thank you for your list Roy and pictures, your salad looked especially yummy. 

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

Roy, yesterday's "Prohibition Remembrance Day" was for the beginning of Prohibition --

The U.S. Senate proposed the Eighteenth Amendment on December 18, 1917. Upon being approved by a 36th state on January 16, 1919, the amendment was ratified as a part of the Constitution. By the terms of the amendment, the country went dry one year later, on January 17, 1920.

Bootleggers came into existence to fill the desires of those who wished to continue the consumption of alcohol. To some extent, the profession continues today.

Prohabition was better than no liquor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  @ger_77 happy Sochi is feeling better.  Hate those ingrown toenails.  The quote is so true, but as in many households our cat prefers my dh although he isn't especially fond of cats.  The meal sounds good but we are finishing all the leftovers today.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Hope the vaccine rolls out for everyone soon.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Whiskey Sour:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Bourbon whiskey, 1 dash egg white, 1 oz (2 parts) Fresh lemon juice, 1/2 oz (1 part) Gomme syrup
Preparation: Shake with ice. Strain into ice-filled old-fashioned glass to serve "on the rocks."
Served: Shaken; on the rocks
Standard garnish: Lemon rind, Maraschino cherry, Orange slice, Sugared glass

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 8.55.20 AM.png

I enjoy a Whikey Sour, once in a while.  

• Like 3