The Daily for Tuesday Jan 19, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, dfish said:

It is always something.   When I had a new floor put in the kitchen I had to replace part of the sub floor because it had gotten soft.  Dan, My Handyman, kept apologizing for the added cost, but I reminded him that was part of renovation.  I wasn't surprised by that or the problem yesterday.  I guess I've watched enough HGTV throughout the pandemic.

The relief is always that these issues are found BEFORE they cause a major problem. Though the doors are fairly sheltered, a hurricane on a specific track could cause major damage.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is always something.   When I had a new floor put in the kitchen I had to replace part of the sub floor because it had gotten soft.  Dan, My Handyman, kept apologizing for the added cost, but I reminded him that was part of renovation.  I wasn't surprised by that or the problem yesterday.  I guess I've watched enough HGTV throughout the pandemic.

Isn't that the truth?  You can't watch a remodeling show without wood rot or termites!

BTW, DH decided to self clean the oven yesterday.  Let's hope it's still working today...🤞

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

The relief is always that these issues are found BEFORE they cause a major problem. Though the doors are fairly sheltered, a hurricane on a specific track could cause major damage.

How very true.   So, now we have a good reason to renovate our homes every so often!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Isn't that the truth?  You can't watch a remodeling show without wood rot or termites!

BTW, DH decided to self clean the oven yesterday.  Let's hope it's still working today...🤞

You gave me my morning laugh!   I sure hope the oven is still working.   

I always wondered on those shows why they didn't catch some of the problems in the home inspections they say they do.  And, when you are budgeting for a remodel,  it is standard practice to have a certain set contingency for those repairs you find.  Dan told me 10-20%, depending on the scope of the job.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We expect a full report in the next day or two.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, dfish said:

You gave me my morning laugh!   I sure hope the oven is still working.   

I always wondered on those shows why they didn't catch some of the problems in the home inspections they say they do.  And, when you are budgeting for a remodel,  it is standard practice to have a certain set contingency for those repairs you find.  Dan told me 10-20%, depending on the scope of the job.

Have you ever watched Mike Holmes' show "Holmes Inspection"?  You would be surprised how bad some of those home inspectors are.  It's a shame they can't be more strictly regulated to be sure they have the knowledge to find some of these issues.  I realize a lot of things are hidden behind walls, but there are clues to hidden problems sometimes, they just have to look for them.  I've learned a lot watching "Holmes Inspection".   It's on DIY network, next repeat episodes are tomorrow night.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Hard to make new real world friends these days, but lots of new online friends thanks to the Daily! I like popcorn. I think my memory's pretty good, except when I go into a room for something and can't remember what it was I went there for!

This is a brief post. My uveitis flared this morning in my right eye, so it's red and very light sensitive. It's hard to look at any screens or even out the window, but luckily it's cloudy here today. I'm wearing sunglasses inside and putting drops in every hour. Hopefully it will be calmed down by afternoon. I had to stop some meds for it due to side effects.

Prayers to the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay well. Wear your mask.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Hard to make new virtual friends these days, but lots of new online friends thanks to the Daily! I like popcorn. I think my memory's pretty good, except when I go into a room for something and can't remember what it was I went there for!

This is a brief post. My uveitis flared this morning in my right eye, so it's red and very light sensitive. It's hard to look at any screens or even out the window, but luckily it's cloudy here today. I'm wearing sunglasses inside and putting drops in every hour. Hopefully it will be calmed down by afternoon. I had to stop some meds for it due to side effects.

Prayers to the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay well. Wear your mask.

Sorry to hear about your painful condition.  Your eye drop comment reminded me of a good rule for putting in eye drops, or even taking medications, in the dark of night.  You didn't do that but my twin sister did about 3 weeks ago and it was a big mistake.  She felt the need for eye drops one night and reached for them, putting a drop in her right eye.  Well it wasn't eye drops it was a bottle of campho-phenique, a pain relieving antiseptic she uses for cold sores, insect bites, etc.  It contains Phenol and camphor.  It burned her eye and she has been under a doctor's care and has a lot of meds to take and apply because of it.  It's been quite painful.  Hopefully her eyesight wasn't permanently damaged.  If only she had turned a light on, even a night light to be sure she had the right bottle.  Taking care of our eyesight is so important!👀

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Have you ever watched Mike Holmes' show "Holmes Inspection"?  You would be surprised how bad some of those home inspectors are.  It's a shame they can't be more strictly regulated to be sure they have the knowledge to find some of these issues.  I realize a lot of things are hidden behind walls, but there are clues to hidden problems sometimes, they just have to look for them.  I've learned a lot watching "Holmes Inspection".   It's on DIY network, next repeat episodes are tomorrow night.

Another gift from Canada to the world!

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Have you noticed a lot of new people moving into your community?  Say, from New York?  I've read many New Yorkers have hit the road for Florida in the past year.  And the Californians are heading to Texas and Arizona.  🤔  I know of three families who moved out of California.  Taxes must have been awful.

These neighbors are from Indiana. Rented for winter 🥶 for a few years before buying. 

• Like 5

Just now, superoma said:

Another gift from Canada to the world!

Yes, thanks to Canada for Mike!  I just wish he had some new programs because the old ones repeat over and over.  I guess he's decided to enjoy his boat now.  It was a nice boat, too so can't blame him.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Sorry to hear this.  Hope it improves quickly for you with the drops.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, summer slope said:

These neighbors are from Indiana. Rented for winter 🥶 for a few years before buying. 

Hmm.  There are a lot of people who do that.  My own son and his family are spending 3 months in Clearwater Beach this winter, something they normally don't do.  Living in Michigan you can imagine how rough their winters are, as well as the extreme lockdown in their state for the past 10 months.  I wouldn't be surprised if they enjoy it so much they decide to come down every winter, or move down there.  And they're only mid 40's.  

• Like 6

Thank you 65 gator for your service and sharing the information about how the vaccine clinic was set up.  My first job after college (Bear Down!) was with the Pima County Health Department, Tucson, AZ.  It was a fine introduction to the working world, never did I expect to work with such a fine group of professional women and men; registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, nurses aides, nurse practitioners, public health nurses.  Nothing better than working with good people! Thank you.

• Like 10

Well, we are all making new friends as more folks join The Daily thread. I'd be a jagoff if I wasn't happy to have @JazzyV posting from my old hometown of Pittsburgh 😉.

I did err in my post about HMC yesterday. Today was the day for HMC in 2019 and yesterday was a sea day. What was that thing about memory for today? 

Before I forget anything else, here are some Key West butterflies -

DSC_0149.thumb.JPG.a7b3b150cd4eb2a6e9dfe10e33c7f4bb.JPG

DSC_0213.thumb.JPG.2250c5e51571fbe5d5d34611293a0c0d.JPG

• Like 20

I've been meaning to mention Seth Wayne's Tuesday Trivia (Holland America on Facebook) for anyone interested. Last week the 10 true false questions (online) were about tea. Google the time for PT/ET. 

😊This morning he will be live talking about the newest Grand Itineraries on Holland AmericaSeth is based out of Seattle.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Have you noticed a lot of new people moving into your community?  Say, from New York?  I've read many New Yorkers have hit the road for Florida in the past year.  And the Californians are heading to Texas and Arizona.  🤔  I know of three families who moved out of California.  Taxes must have been awful.

That’s true about California. We have more leaving than coming. I know many personally who have moved. A few years back about a quarter of our church went to Texas. 
It’s a number of reasons: housing costs are astronomical, crowding, taxes, and California is getting less business friendly.

I’m looking forward to getting out after DH retires.

• Like 9

Good morning.  I too feel like I’ve made new friends on the daily, and hope to meet them in person on a blue hulled beauty some day.

When I got up this morning, it looked like we would be getting rain, but it went up the next valley and toward Phoenix.  Quartzsite is in a large valley, and the way our mountains are, many times rain will either go toward Yuma or Parker and skip us.  The chances for some rain here are better tonight.  Glad part of Arizona is getting much needed. 🌧 

Since I have mushrooms and green onions that are getting close to needing to be tossed, we will have pad Thai and wine tonight.

@65 gator appreciate your work with the vaccine yesterday.

Lenda

• Like 10

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2017 "Close to home" Grandeur of the Seas cruise.  On January 19 we were in Nassau.

dawn0119.jpg

Roy

Not on that trip, Roy, but was on the one before you and then a 12 day trip in February.  Made some friends on the February trip who have become my sailing partners.  I will miss Grandeur.  Katherine

• Like 6

Snow!!!! We have Snow!!!!!..... and it is wet and heavy.. but since we need the moisture I am not going to complain even though we now have over 12 inches in town and it is still coming down. Think it will move out this afternoon or so says the man who plowed our driveway this morning and then left with a cheery "be back later". We are supposed to get more on Friday and then light snow into next week. I think everyone is pleased except the dogs who went out and in quickly. The Shih Tzu nearly disappeared. Good thing he is black and white.

Like the 2023 world cruise.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
correction
  • Like 18
  • Haha 2