Oosterdam
Volendam
Zaandam

0119World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily Rich.  Salute to new friends, and I'll include 2 who just appeared on the Daily, yesterday.  I love popcorn and think I have a fairly decent memory, although it isn't quite as vivid as a few years ago.  I've never seen M&M melt either in my mouth or my hand.  Pork sounds nice although my alternative is Orange and Avacado Carousel, Pene Primavera, and Mango-Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 19, 2019,

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/dishes19.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Our Nation

Master Marley awaiting test results (hooray for good vet report)

StLouisCruiser’s MIL, Sister, and 2 nephews

HAL (and other crews)

Kazu’s BIL’s mom

Those affected by Indonesia earthquake

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily cookingmom and Tbay

Occasional contributors including happywandering

First jabs for garlictown and DH

Hearing from Seasick Sailor and first jab for Alan

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Land mine clearers

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I love popcorn, so does the dog.  I need to improve my memory.  It's important to make new friends, and keep old ones too.

I've never had M&Ms melt in my hand, but they don't stay there very long.

Thanks for the meal suggestion but we had pork last night, so I think we're having chicken something or other.

The drink sounds like dessert to me.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Praying for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

While we haven’t made new friends with the pandemic I will happily celebrate all the good memories that my dear friends that I have have helped make 😄 

LOL on the quote by Peter Oakley 😄  I’ll pass on the pork today.  My little market (where I feel quite safe because of their wonderful procedures) had tenderloin on sale so we had that last night and there are leftovers even though we gave Marley & Miko a taste 😉 

I tend to avoid the bigger grocery stores if I can because of people not following the rules:

8C3395DD-FD92-4996-AE3F-374595FD8FC5.jpeg.9952f8b706a0ac1e39d0aab619bb6001.jpeg

For those of you that fear you have been imbibing too much during the pandemic, this is your chance to skip drinking 😉 

065959F1-D804-4640-8057-E3D7DF108A37.thumb.jpeg.576cd4ce4f713f53f367c9722e5171e5.jpeg

I think a number of us are suffering from this depression - mainly because we can’t go:

6C326485-DD38-4FE6-A81F-C9A85AD4AA9A.thumb.jpeg.d8c2aa01a7409bead5b3950f8bb9b938.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a big toast and clink of the glass to those on the Shout Out / Celebratory list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 27

Thanks to Rich and Roy…

I regret that I missed lurking on the Daily yesterday.  I was part of a fantastic and well organized vaccination clinic that was both exhausting and exhilarating.  We assembled at 0730 at a Middle School campus and were directed to the bus parking lot by city and county law enforcement.  Patients were directed to the school’s employee parking lot and they started arriving at 0745 for their 0800 appointments.  Our IT department set up shop in the library to start processing the applications.  One long hallway was loaded with tables and chairs so the arriving patients could fill out their paperwork.  It was a short walk to the gym where they were directed to one of four stations that were separated by curtains.  Each station had four people giving the vaccinations and one keeping up with supplies and disinfectants.  These stations were manned by nurses, nursing students, retired physicians or EMTs.  After the injection, they proceeded straight to a checkout station where they received their vaccination  card and appointment for the next injection in three weeks.  They then took a chair in the gym to wait 15 minutes to be cleared by the EMT staff if there were no reactions (we had none).  It was non-stop but very orderly.  We had 1000 doses and thanks to “over-fills” we gave 1146 vaccines.  It was emotional to be thanked over and over by so many seniors.  The oldest person I checked out was 98 years old.

Hopefully we can repeat this at the Civic Center this coming weekend.  With all the negative publicity in the news it is very reassuring to see that it can be done even in a smaller community.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  It seems whenever we go on a cruise, we make new friends; I can't wait for that to happen again.  Did someone say popcorn?  Angie's Chick-A-Pop is my favourite . . . had some yesterday.  I still have a good memory, but who knows how long that'll last!

I really like today's menu suggestion, and happen to have a couple of pork loins in the "ice cave" that I can bring out and have thawed in time for dinner tonight.  I'm pretty sure I've got some orzo in the back of the pantry, so will have to go on a hunting expedition to find it!  I have to say, I appreciate the daily meal suggestion, as it has certainly made our isolation - these past 10 months - a lot more enjoyable.  Even DH said the other day "you know, we sure have eaten well since we've been in lockdown".  I don't think he realized I really could cook!  No matter, we're going to have another nice dinner, thanks to @richwmn.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, with additional for everyone in the USA, and even for those who don't think they do.  Toasting to all on the celebration list tonight as well.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love the combo of days today. I feel as if I have made a great many new friends on the Daily! No popcorn in the house, so I will focus on my new friends & having a decent memory.

Roy - I thank you for keeping up with our lists. It was great to see a post from Joy yesterday. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Laughing at the quote. I haven’t had an m&m in years - decades maybe.  I might have to test the veracity of that quote. Salmon for me tonight. Drink sounds intriguing.

It was a bit cooler this morning. 36 when Bindi & I headed out, but at least no breeze.  The radio announcer just said on this day in 1977 it snowed in Florida! So I will no longer complain about the cold. My house painting is coming along. My first coat of “Pastry Dough” has been applied. As with any project, my painter discovered a couple issues - a section of fasciae that needed repairing, and my French doors leading from the master to the back yard are rotted beyond repair. So they will be replaced with fiberglass doors.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating! 
Stay well everyone!

This Columbia Valley Merlot is a bit over my budget, but every vintage has excellent ratings. The reviews focused on the 2016 vintage. Several online distributors have it available with prices starting at $54.49. If you are a Merlot fan, you might want to splurge on this for a special occasion. 

Winemaker Notes

#83 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2018 

This deeply concentrated wine boasts rich, ripe aromas of blackberry cobbler and violets complemented by intriguing spice components. The lush, complex palate is balanced beautifully by ample acidity and creamy oak nuances. Tannins are firm, yet supple and will integrate seamlessly as the wine ages.

JS94 James Suckling: A very vivid and pure red with aromas of blackberries and blueberries. Hints of violets and licorice, too. Full body, firm and silky tannins and a long, flavorful finish. Shows tension and focus. A blend of 75% merlot, 15% cabernet sauvignon and 10% petit verdot. Drink in 2020 and beyond.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20

9 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy…

I regret that I missed lurking on the Daily yesterday.  I was part of a fantastic and well organized vaccination clinic that was both exhausting and exhilarating.  We assembled at 0730 at a Middle School campus and were directed to the bus parking lot by city and county law enforcement.  Patients were directed to the school’s employee parking lot and they started arriving at 0745 for their 0800 appointments.  Our IT department set up shop in the library to start processing the applications.  One long hallway was loaded with tables and chairs so the arriving patients could fill out their paperwork.  It was a short walk to the gym where they were directed to one of four stations that were separated by curtains.  Each station had four people giving the vaccinations and one keeping up with supplies and disinfectants.  These stations were manned by nurses, nursing students, retired physicians or EMTs.  After the injection, they proceeded straight to a checkout station where they received their vaccination  card and appointment for the next injection in three weeks.  They then took a chair in the gym to wait 15 minutes to be cleared by the EMT staff if there were no reactions (we had none).  It was non-stop but very orderly.  We had 1000 doses and thanks to “over-fills” we gave 1146 vaccines.  It was emotional to be thanked over and over by so many seniors.  The oldest person I checked out was 98 years old.

Hopefully we can repeat this at the Civic Center this coming weekend.  With all the negative publicity in the news it is very reassuring to see that it can be done even in a smaller community.

Bless you! 

• Like 6

Good morning.  We made new "friends" yesterday.  The people who moved in across the street stopped at the end of the driveway and introduced themselves.  Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks.  I play games on FB to keep my memory working.  Cute quote and I'll pass on the meal.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Pecan Pie Martini:

For garnish
3 tbsp. caramel, microwaved until pourable
1/4 c. toasted chopped pecans
Cool Whip, for garnish
3 whole pecans, for garnish
Sprinkle of cinnamon, for garnish
For cocktail
6 oz. rumchata
6 oz. creme de cocoa
3 oz. bourbon
Ice
Directions

Place caramel and toasted chopped pecans on separate small shallow plates. Dip the rim of each glass first into caramel and then into chopped pecans to coat.
Combine rumchata, creme de cocoa, and bourbon in a large cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until cold, 30 seconds. Pour into martini glasses and top with a dollop of whipped cream, a whole pecan, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 7.58.46 AM.png

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy…

What a great thing to do Leon.  Thank you ❤️ 

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy…

Hurray for this wonderful feel-good news!!  Thank you for serving your community yesterday, as well.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  We made new "friends" yesterday.  The people who moved in across the street stopped at the end of the driveway and introduced themselves.  Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks.  I play games on FB to keep my memory working.  Cute quote and I'll pass on the meal.

Pecan Pie Martini:

For garnish
Cool Whip, for garnish
For cocktail
6 oz. rumchata
6 oz. creme de cocoa
3 oz. bourbon
Ice
Directions

Place caramel and toasted chopped pecans on separate small shallow plates. Dip the rim of each glass first into caramel and then into chopped pecans to coat.
Combine rumchata, creme de cocoa, and bourbon in a large cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until cold, 30 seconds. Pour into martini glasses and top with a dollop of whipped cream, a whole pecan, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

A martini with bourbon- wow!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

My house painting is coming along. My first coat of “Pastry Dough” has been applied. As with any project, my painter discovered a couple issues - a section of fasciae that needed repairing, and my French doors leading from the master to the back yard are rotted beyond repair. So they will be replaced with fiberglass doors.

It is always something.   When I had a new floor put in the kitchen I had to replace part of the sub floor because it had gotten soft.  Dan, My Handyman, kept apologizing for the added cost, but I reminded him that was part of renovation.  I wasn't surprised by that or the problem yesterday.  I guess I've watched enough HGTV throughout the pandemic.

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Thanks to Rich and Roy…

How wonderful!   It can be done!  Thank you for being a part of a great effort.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Pecan Pie Martini:

For garnish
Cool Whip, for garnish
For cocktail
6 oz. rumchata
6 oz. creme de cocoa
3 oz. bourbon
Ice
Directions

Have you noticed a lot of new people moving into your community?  Say, from New York?  I've read many New Yorkers have hit the road for Florida in the past year.  And the Californians are heading to Texas and Arizona.  🤔  I know of three families who moved out of California.  Taxes must have been awful.

• Like 5