The Daily for Wednesday Jan 27, 2021

richwmn

One of our local supermarket chains have Hormel marinated pork loins on sale. They are1.5 pounds and at $5 each this week, a heck of a deal. So that plus broccoli and maybe a sweet potato are on the menu for tonight. 

Here are a some more Grand Canyon pictures from our 2003 train trip. We did have fantastic weather, bright and sunny but not too hot. It was bright enough that some of my pictures were unfortunately over exposed. I was using a point and shoot digital camera with limited features that I was still learning about.

1953206600_DSC00774(2).thumb.JPG.c727207a882c09e3ef83262c82e2c16b.JPG

DSC00777.thumb.JPG.d203fc69b34532159716812e595120e0.JPG

284498631_DSC00779(2).thumb.JPG.376b432b9df5e246f01861b7412585f0.JPG

DSC00780.thumb.JPG.0cb3fa509b59e2eb9533627a04a694d5.JPG

1066030651_DSC00787(2).thumb.JPG.ac43dde2c898024d3e53a58ef8ca727c.JPG

Mom & Dad by the tour bus -

2018359063_DSC00773(2).thumb.JPG.1292561bca7e59f40dc4e8647c35e315.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Ouch!  I goofed on that!  It should have been Mamaofami's FRIENDS final days, but resting comfortably.  Cat shepard, I may never have noticed that if not adding you to the list.

Roy

Thank you for the correction. You had me quite taken aback on the original!

• Like 5

Good morning all. It is sunny here but cold. It was -9 when I walked the dogs this morning.... it has now gotten up to 0. Have hopes for it to get a lot warmer by afternoon and maybe melt some of our snow. We need a few days break. The dogs were happy to go out - do their business - and come back in.

I missed my appointment with the dermatologist on Monday so have rescheduled. Was waiting on a plumber who showed up about 3 hours after he said he would. Not my unit but one of the others in the building where the owner is away. We had to turn off the water for entire building, so everyone was anxious for the problem to be solved. Everything seems to happen at once.

Susan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all!

I’ve always enjoyed National Geographic and Libraries. Not such a fan of Punching a Clock, and am happy to be retired. The sheet pan dinner sounds like an excellent idea, so that’s our menu set for tonight.

We had a Zoom meeting of our Grand Africa roll call yesterday. After missing the Daily Zoom due to time zone confusion, I was on my toes for this one and showed up on time. It was an introductory Zoom, and there will be more as time goes on. It’s so good to finally put faces, and voices, to names!

Today we lather on the hand sanitizer for our bi-monthly big box store stock up. Even when you aren’t a hoarder, you need to restock eventually.

@cat shepardAnn, my thoughts are with you for tomorrow, hoping all goes well. @StLouisCruisersits good that you got to visit your MIL. That will probably give her more strength than any one thing the doctors can do. @ger_77 congratulations on the frigid weather releasing it’s grip ever so slightly. I used to live east of Saskatoon many years ago, and remember those lethal cold snaps all too well.

Happy Wednesday to all, and here’s to the day our blue hulled beauties welcome us back!

0F906343-84FC-482D-95FB-E0470EFBA86E.jpeg

• Like 17

Good morning. Thanks to Rich for the Daily and providing the conversation starters. Thank you Roy for keeping the lists and helping to focus the attentions of a caring group of folks. And thanks to all who give this thread an interesting, entertaining, informative, empathetic, positive atmosphere.

Welcome back @StLouisCruisers.

We spent many good years punching a time clock. Now we only punch the occasional alarm clock 😒

In this area, vaccine supply issues have phase two stuck at those aged 83+. And it seems a rampant outbreak in a jail facility a few miles from here is being investigated as a possible variant strain.

Oh, to be on a promenade deck watching the sun rise over the wake...

1.thumb.JPG.e7c36e722aed53de54fbfc8605d92498.JPG

Have a great day! Stay safe, healthy, and patient. There will be a finish line to this, let's all help each other cross it.

Lori & George

• Like 19

Good morning.  I think we still have one copy of National Geographic on the book shelf in Texas.  It is an 2001 issue that had a story on Quartzsite.  I’d take a library shelfie of it if we were there.  I’ve only had one job where I punched a clock, many, many years ago.  If we weren’t heading to the Phoenix area in a few hours, I’d definitely make a chocolate cake.

@StLouisCruisers glad your feisty MIL is doing better.  Sometimes it takes a family member stepping in to get to the correct care.  Your visit plus all the cards, calls and videos from family members was probably the best medicine.

Lenda

• Like 13

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Could I ask you to add me to tomorrow’s Care list? I am having an early stage melanoma removed tomorrow morning, and all of a sudden I find myself a bit nervous. And it sounds like such a minor procedure, too. Oh well, maybe I will just have a bigger glass of wine tonight. 

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow, Cat. 🙏🏻 A bigger glass of wine tonight is well deserved 😉 

• Like 7

I punched a time clock for over 30 years - until the day I retired - almost 22 years ago. I was even timekeeper for about 5 of those years - and then it was remotely automated/reported. So I moved to another position with my seniority really helping out.

• Like 7

Good morning all!

We're back home from my birthday get-away (thank you all for the kind birthday wishes!).  It's always nice to get away.  I laugh because having a January birthday in the PNW is a roll of the dice for weather.  It could be a blizzard or a balmy 50 degrees and sunshine.  We had 2 days of torrential rain at the coast.  LOL.  Our cottage was cozy with a fireplace and jacuzzi, and we did manage to get to the beach for a little while one day between rain storms. Probably the best was some seafood take-out dinners that were amazing.

We stopped on our way home last night to get our first Covid vaccines!  Just a bit of a sore arm this morning (as usual after any vaccine for me) and during the night I had a headache, but that's gone this morning.  SO thankful to have the first one done and this process started!  

We have a subscription to National Geographic, always have and I grew up with it because my parents always got it.  I did cancel their National Geographic Travel Magazine after a few years though.  It seemed to be all ads and not much that was applicable to any travel we would be interested in.  Too bad they don't have a National Geographic Cruise Magazine LOL!

Today is our daughter's birthday (yes, she was born 3 days after my birthday) so we will be seeing her and having an outdoor 'round the fire gifts and time together.  

Welcome back @StLouisCruisersand good to hear your feisty MIL is doing better.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

@StLouisCruisers wonderful of you to make that long trip and do all those special things for your MIL.  I’m so glad you were able to see her and know the day with you picked up her spirits.  She’s in our prayers 🙏🏻 

@ger_77love the socks ❤️  

Thanks, Jacqui!

Sorry if I missed this, but how is your BIL's mother faring?

• Like 3

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks, Jacqui!

Sorry if I missed this, but how is your BIL's mother faring?

Not great.  She’s still in covid ward and on oxygen.  She is needing a bit less but she is not faring well and the doctors are trying to decide if they should risk moving her out of the covid ward temporarily so that her sons can visit and hopefully raise her spirits and will to fight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!  
@cat shepardsending virtual hugs!   DH had a melanoma removed over ten years ago and all is well.  I will pray for the same outcome for you,  so good to get that gone while it’s early!  Thanks also for the wine suggestion! 
@StLouisCruisersglad you got to visit your MIL, hope she continues to improve! 

E0BC7BC7-F7B2-4720-A0F0-5A072572AA2D.jpeg

• Like 15

Just now, kazu said:

Not great.  She’s still in covid ward and on oxygen.  She is needing a bit less but she is not faring well and the doctors are trying to decide if they should risk moving her out of the covid ward temporarily so that her sons can visit and hopefully raise her spirits and will to fight.

I'm sorry to hear that!  We should have her at the top of the Care/Prayers list.  I know she would love to see her sons right about now.  I truly do understand that they need a reason to fight.

And thank you @bennybearas well for your kind words.

• Like 7

A bright, sunny but cold, morning to all!  @StLouisCruisers, bless you for the quick trip to visit your MIL.  Sure that it helped perk her up!  @cat shepard, sending good thoughts for your surgery tomorrow.  It is always a worry till it is done!

Today is also the anniversary (54 years) of the Apollo I tragedy (Grissom, White, and Chaffee).  And tomorrow is anniversary (35 years) of Challenger.  After living in Central Florida for 19 years, these dates are always in my memory.  I loved being there during the Space Shuttle years!

Wine sounds good for today.  Have never had a Long Island Iced Tea.  Know that some really like that as a drink.

This is a busy week for my Red Cross calls (Zoom, Teams, and Google meets).  Learning lots of good info about the vaccines!  Am also anxious for my 2nd "jab" on February 12.  Glad to hear that most are experiencing very little reaction, as that was my experience.  Our vaccination process  locally has now moved to our Convention Center so that more people can be vaccinated in a more efficient manner.  

Have a great day, everyone.  One day step closer to finally getting to travel.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

I am having an early stage melanoma removed tomorrow morning, and all of a sudden I find myself a bit nervous. And it sounds like such a minor procedure, too. Oh well, maybe I will just have a bigger glass of wine tonight. 

Definitely have a bigger glass of wine tonight!  It does help.  

I had a growth removed from the middle of my forehead on Monday.  Nothing to it except that now I have a round red spot that looks like I was shot in the forehead.  

I had another growth that the doctor said needed to come off and be biopsied because it was something that turns into a squamous cell cancer.  It had been there for years and bugged me because I caught it every time I combed my hair.  But, come the day to remove it and it was gone!  Totally gone, didn't even leave a mark behind.  My doctor pronounced me weird.  But, that is nothing new.  She's says I am an outlier on most things.  

I'm sure all will go well tomorrow.  You've got the HAL gang cheering you on!

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Am also anxious for my 2nd "jab" on February 12.  Glad to hear that most are experiencing very little reaction, as that was my experience.

DH and I also get our seconds on Feb. 12. Almost no reaction for me; DH had a sore shoulder for a couple days - said he thought the injection was very close to the joint.

• Like 5

My parents always subscribed to Nat Geo, and my favorite article was about Pompeii. I was thrilled when I finally got to see it in person in 2019!

I also remember cutting out many pictures & pasting them into school reports as illustrations! When Mom sold her house, we had to get rid of years & years of NGs!

As a former library book shelver (after school job in high school), I salute the shelves!

Praying for all in need, and cheering for those who are celebrating!

• Like 9

@cat shepard  Let me add my encouragement to your dermotologist visit, tomorrow.  I have had three carcinomas and quite a few "atypical" growths removed.  The procedure itself is always less scary than the anticipation.  My red-headed, fair-complected brother had a melanoma remove more than 20 years ago and has not had any kind of thing like that since.

I always look for your commentary on the Wine of the Day.  You do a very good job of adding interesting information to Rich's selection.  👍  Today, though, I am going to ask for your indulgence and add one thing, of which, I am sure that you are aware, but might be helpful to others.  Pinot Gris is the French name for the grape that in Italian is called Pinot Grigio.  So, people who enjoy Pinot Grigio can try Pinot Gris with some confidence.

• Like 11