The Daily for Monday Feb 1, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon.  I agree that National Freedom Day should be celebrated every day.  I had to laugh when I saw that it also Spunky Old Boards Day.  My first thought was that applies to quite a few of us on this thread even if we won't admit it.  I was heartened to see that many of my fellow dailyites do own up to the title.  You should not mess with spunky old broads, even if the last to words are not totally true.  😀

@Overhead Fred We visited Taipei in 2018, and were lucky to have a clear day.  The views from the Taipei 101 Tower were amazing.  Did you see the ballast that keeps the building from swaying too much?  When looking at the tower, it looks like it was built upside down.

This is a view from the tower.

DSC04777.thumb.JPG.41ba1b78e1e49794f69a2f1f1db65c8c.JPG

This is the ballast.

DSC04788.thumb.JPG.a1baf5cc53799a43f800005884776776.JPG

We took a taxi from Keelung into Taipei, then the train back.  From the train station we walked to the night market.  We find Chinese night markets very interesting. 

DSC04866.thumb.JPG.14641e58c7a9b81e6d5179a1d836fa60.JPG

DSC04867.thumb.JPG.d17df4c242a30456e2ed7cb7004e4454.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20

Sorry about the double post.  The computer hung up for a bit and it looked like it did not post.  I'll try to be more patient in the future.

Well I got rid of the text, but cannot get the pictures to disappear.

Lenda

DSC04777.JPG

DSC04788.JPG

DSC04866.JPG

DSC04867.JPG

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

There are many yellow hellebores - I don't know the name of this one, as a friend gave me one of her babies.  I just call it "Sally's yellow".  The seeds are definitely hellebore seeds.

IMG_5172.thumb.JPG.8a0ec38f10d6614a298df9c0fd7423fc.JPG

Perfect!

I learn something every day!  They are beautiful.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just had to report back, that this actually works, Kirk!  After just uttering this once this morning, I am now the proud owner of an appointment for my first vaccine jab! I am scheduled for Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.

Thank you so much for sharing this very important info. And perhaps not an old wives tale as much as it is an old spunky broad’s tale!  😎Woo hoo!

Wonderful!!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Just had to report back, that this actually works, Kirk!  After just uttering this once this morning, I am now the proud owner of an appointment for my first vaccine jab! I am scheduled for Wednesday at 9:30 a.m.

Thank you so much for sharing this very important info. And perhaps not an old wives tale as much as it is an old spunky broad’s tale!  😎Woo hoo!

Wow!  That's amazing.  I'm going to check now on the BC CDC website and see if anything is going on here!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sea Viewer said:

I had heard to say "white rabbit' on the first of the month. This was from my Irish mother. Not sure of the origin of the saying though. I still say it every month!!

My ancestors are English so maybe it’s just a little different. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I would love to see some photos of all your Christmas villages...  😄

I don't have any with everything in one photo, these are from years past before I got the Santa blimp and a few other things.  Some years were smaller than others like the first and second photos.  Some years I really scaled back so the grandkids couldn't reach them as toddlers. 😄

small village.jpg

mountain scene.jpg

large village.jpg

village a.jpg

• Like 21

10 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Well there you go!  Glad to hear you are getting jabbed!

• Like 7

So I had to get to the bottom of this Rabbit thing so here’s a little bit of color on the saying.

https://www.oprahmag.com/life/a29960757/rabbit-rabbit-meaning/

Seems to be different versions, some same Rabbit 3 times, some say White Rabbit, some say it as the first word on the first day of the month.  So what ever works.

Apparently you can also get a mulligan if you forget:

If you forgot to say "rabbit, rabbit" on the first of the month, but you still want to give it a try, you're in luck. According to word historian Martha Barnette, you can say "tibbar, tibbar" (rabbit rabbit spelled backwards) and still be in the clear.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I don't have any with everything in one photo, these are from years past before I got the Santa blimp and a few other things.  Some years were smaller than others like the first and second photos.  Some years I really scaled back so the grandkids couldn't reach them as toddlers. 😄

small village.jpg

mountain scene.jpg

large village.jpg

village a.jpg

Beautiful!  Thanks for posting them.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

small village.jpg

mountain scene.jpg

large village.jpg

village a.jpg

Those are so beautiful. I love them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

small village.jpg

mountain scene.jpg

large village.jpg

village a.jpg

They are so beautiful all lit up. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit!  I’ll take any good luck I can get!  
Late to the party, actually was culling old files, some from the 70’s!  
we have some warmer weather today and sunshine, so I’ll head out to enjoy it!  
We saw another eagle yesterday! 

31FC7E3E-8BE9-4BB5-9304-72C279098639.jpeg

• Like 12

Good afternoon! Thanks to everyone on the thread. As I look out at the snow-covered ground, I am imagining all those spring flowers on this first day of the month. RABBIT! I had never heard that tradition growing up, but a good friend introduce it to me some 15 years ago. 

I love that it is Spunky Old Broad day. I've earned that term and won't give it up! And don't we all wish that we were abroad?

Congratulations to those getting jabbed. I'll be waiting quite some time, I'm afraid. We can only hope that the approval of more vaccines, and timely access to the vaccine comes quickly. When you think about it, though, less than a year after the pandemic was declared, vaccines are ready to be used. Isn't science wonderful.

So following science....Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask! 😷

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning all, I have to admit to joining the "spunky old broads" gang, and getting broader all the time!   DD is going to make a tortilla soup this evening, I believe (if she doesn't I'll get something out of the freezer.)  I will make some cheese biscuits to go with the soup, I think.

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit!  

Hellebores are blooming here, too, along with the snowdrops and crocus, but it is pretty dreary.  The reservoir has been at 100% for some time.  Hopefully there will be some good news today about vaccines.  We should be in the next group.  

Distressing to hear about a military coup in Myanmar.  Pat was born there, and has returned a few times, I went with him once and bother time on a cruise.  The people are so lovely.   

And I am jealous of you too.

I remember the beautiful flowers we saw in Victoria.  Long before anything would bloom here.  

Such a beautiful spot.  You prepare for flowers and we prepare for a ‘Nor Easter.

• Like 5

@Cruising-along, @highland cruiser, @Vict0riann, @cat shepard

I have detailed photos that I take every year so I know about where to put things the next, but they aren't that good for sharing. One year I did take overall photos plus one of each etagere and took my time. Those are good enough to share. Here are the overall photos. I still have the displays in the first 3 photos - those in the other 3 were given away to other collectors when we moved. My year-round village and seasonal shelf (still have those) are not shown.

001 From Foyer.jpg

002 From Dining Room.jpg

Overall 3.JPG

01 From Foyer2.jpg

02 From Sunroom2.jpg

01 Overall.jpg

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

@Cruising-along, @highland cruiser, @Vict0riann, @cat shepard

I have detailed photos that I take every year so I know about where to put things the next, but they aren't that good for sharing. One year I did take overall photos plus one of each etagere and took my time. Those are good enough to share. Here are the overall photos. I still have the displays in the first 3 photos - those in the other 3 were given away to other collectors when we moved. My year-round village and seasonal shelf (still have those) are not shown.

001 From Foyer.jpg

002 From Dining Room.jpg

Overall 3.JPG

01 From Foyer2.jpg

02 From Sunroom2.jpg

01 Overall.jpg

Just amazing!  Thanks for letting us see your collections.  😄

• Like 5

9 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Good morning on the first day of a new month!  Has anyone heard the old wives tale that saying “Rabbit” on the first day of the month brings you good luck for the whole month? I picked that up in my youth, no idea from where.

I learned this from a coworker while working a Summer job as a car hop when I was 14, back when they could employ 14 year olds. Except she said that you had to say “rabbit, rabbit” and it had to be the first thing you said that day. I don’t do it myself but I always think about it on the first day of the month. Brings me back to that Summer. 

• Like 8

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I thought of The Golden Girls when I saw it was Spunky Old Broad Day. I think I’ve gotten spunkier as I’ve gotten older. 😉

The meal suggestion sounds really good, I love meat loaf but we need to eat up leftovers tonight. 

My DM is improving slowly. I decided to call the Patient and Family line today for an update because DM is forgetting things, like what the tests are and if or when the doctor has been. I feel much better after talking with them. It’s also given me a new sense of respect for that particular department because families have to rely upon them for information with Covid regulations. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 14