35 Day Cruise out of San Diego?

Jingerwoppy

My wife and I are typically RC cruisers but of course there are places that they don't really go much or have a route that doesn't really work for us. Because of this, we're thinking about the 35 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific out of San Diego in February 2022. We've cruised for 19 days before but this is almost twice that.

If this has been offered before and you've taken it, how enjoyable was it?

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

My wife and I are typically RC cruisers but of course there are places that they don't really go much or have a route that doesn't really work for us. Because of this, we're thinking about the 35 day cruise to Hawaii and the South Pacific out of San Diego in February 2022. We've cruised for 19 days before but this is almost twice that.

If this has been offered before and you've taken it, how enjoyable was it?

Thanks

We did a 28 night HAL Hawaii/Tahiti cruise 2 years ago.  It was great.  I'd do it again.

• Like 1

So funny, ironically enough, I posted a question similar some time ago, asking about the menus and experiences some have had and asking for input. You might be able to find that aged thread with a similar title. There is a roll call you should check out, of course, mostly discussing excursions, but there are a few good points about about this cruise mixed in there. We are loyal to HAL, and our longest before we booked this was 18 days. We have been to Hawaii a few times before, but this our 30th anniversary and are we wanted this special experience. We are ready to start taking much longer cruises. This cruise is booking up quickly. I say go for it. Welcome to the HAL Family. You wont regret it. 

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 1

Long cruise itineraries are what HAL does best, IMO.

We have sailed the 38n Voyage of the Vikings, the 50n Amazon and RIO Carnivale cruise, the 32n Circumnavigation of Australia, the 31n South Pacific Explorer, a 33n Mediterranean cruise, the 28n Norwegian Fjords and Baltic cruise and the 53n Tales of the South Pacific from Seattle to San Diego. All of these cruises were outstanding.

The Tales of the South Pacific was absolutely fabulous, so many wonderful ports that you can rarely get to on a cruise. We would do that cruise again in a heart beat and coming from Australia- we have done a lot of cruises around the South Pacific and Tahitian islands. Even though returning to San Diego after the last port was 7 days, it wasn't a trial at all. We embraced the ship board life with both hands.

I say, give it a go- you will not regret it.

• Like 3

Hubby and I cruised 42 days all through the South Pacific from Australia to San Francisco (booked as the alternative to spending 17 hours on a plane to get home). Previous to that our longest cruise had been 21 days. I will admit when we boarded on day 1 we both thought “what were we thinking?!?

Fabulous cruise! Absolutely LOVED every minute of it, and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Since then we won’t even consider getting on a ship for less than 3 weeks, any less than that feels like you’re just getting started ;o)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shadesofblonde said:

Since then we won’t even consider getting on a ship for less than 3 weeks, any less than that feels like you’re just getting started ;o)

You must not work. 🤣

• Like 2

We have cruised the South Pacific from San Diego twice.  2016 for 48 days and 2019 for 51 days. We are also booked on this cruise. Both of our previous cruises were shear heaven. Lots to do on sea days or nothing to do! It’s your choice. The food and menus were excellent as was the service and itineraries.  Both of these cruises were on the Amsterdam, which is a much smaller ship then the Zuiderdam. Photo is from BoraBora. 

F8FBE2D3-2337-44BF-A4BB-A35564D73510.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, shadesofblonde said:

Hubby and I cruised 42 days all through the South Pacific from Australia to San Francisco (booked as the alternative to spending 17 hours on a plane to get home). Previous to that our longest cruise had been 21 days. I will admit when we boarded on day 1 we both thought “what were we thinking?!?

Fabulous cruise! Absolutely LOVED every minute of it, and would do it again in a heartbeat!

We are the same and since we are retired it works!

• Like 1

We've done this one 3 times and found it a wonderful cruise!  Beautiful scenery, typically gorgeous South Sea ports, a good balance of seas and port days, which makes for a very relaxing journey.  You get into a very enjoyable rhythm on this cruise, nothing rushed, lots of time to do everything on the ship, plan for the ports and enjoy the sea.

We found we liked the Vista class ships the best for this cruise, especially since many of the ports require tenders and this class ship does tendering well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are booked on the 35 day cruise and have a fairly active roll call where several have done this cruise before.  It’s been on my bucket list and it usually sells out as pretty unique islands it goes to. 

We have never sailed on RC so can’t compare what your experience would be on HAL.  Our longest cruise was 21 days and we loved it so looking forward  to this one. 

Hope you’ll join us OP! 

• Like 3

Don’t miss this cruise! It’s terrific. We were on a 48 day cruise when Covid hit so we missed French Polynesia and Hawaii. This is our “redo” cruise. As many others have we’ve added the prior segment from Ft Lauderdale through the Panama Canal to San Diego so it will be another 48 day cruise. We’ve been on the Zuiderdam four times before and it’s our favorite ship. Definitely check out the Roll Call. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Suslor said:

Don’t miss this cruise! It’s terrific. We were on a 48 day cruise when Covid hit so we missed French Polynesia and Hawaii. This is our “redo” cruise. As many others have we’ve added the prior segment from Ft Lauderdale through the Panama Canal to San Diego so it will be another 48 day cruise. We’ve been on the Zuiderdam four times before and it’s our favorite ship. Definitely check out the Roll Call. 

We are there as well with a Zuiderdam Koningsdam Zuiderdam B2B.  Hopefully it goes and doesn’t have lots of restrictions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We are there as well with a Zuiderdam Koningsdam Zuiderdam B2B.  Hopefully it goes and doesn’t have lots of restrictions.

Are you doing Canal (w/a couple days in San Diego)-SoPac-HI or something different? (I know you posted it on our roll call for the SoPac but didn't want to dig for it)

Just now, zelker said:

Are you doing Canal (w/a couple days in San Diego)-SoPac-HI or something different? (I know you posted it on our roll call for the SoPac but didn't want to dig for it)

Yes, we are scheduled to take the Zuiderdam FLL to San Diego, then a 28 day Koningsdam to Hawaii/Mexico (RT San Diego) and then the 35 day Hawaii/South Pacific on the Zuiderdam (RT San Diego) .  We also have an Oceania Caribbean cruise out of Miami before getting on the first Zuiderdam cruise but not sure what confidence I have that any of these will take place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 2:25 AM, shadesofblonde said:

We agree...3 weeks minimum.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 6:37 PM, Jingerwoppy said:

My wife and I are typically RC cruisers....

I have nothing to help you with the 35 day part, because I'm ready to jump ship after 14.  

But this part jumped out at me.  If you are a regular RC cruiser, I think it's highly likely you'll find HAL boring.  Entertainment and activities aren't even in the same ballpark....make that not even on the same planet...compared to RC.  You know all those theme parties, lido parties, pool games, passenger participation game shows, Quest, etc......nada on HAL.  Just the same few music choices every night and maybe trivia during the day.  

Don't get me wrong; HAL is great for itineraries, great for relaxation, and great for those who aren't interested in lots of activities.  Just know what you're getting in to compared to your usual line.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

... I think it's highly likely you'll find HAL boring...Don't get me wrong; HAL is great for itineraries, great for relaxation, and great for those who aren't interested in lots of activities... 

Wow, what a presumptuous post. We are never bored on HAL and are always interested & enjoy all the activities on HAL. I am sorry that you are not able to find anything that engages you, but please do not try to categorize that which you do not understand. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tuolumne couple said:

Wow, what a presumptuous post. We are never bored on HAL and are always interested & enjoy all the activities on HAL. I am sorry that you are not able to find anything that engages you, but please do not try to categorize that which you do not understand. 

Wow!  You read that TOTALLY wrong, and your reaction is WAY off base.  Go back and read it in the correct context....which is speaking of the entertainment COMPARED to the OP's regular cruise line.

Sheesh.  🙄

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

Oh, chill out. That’s not what he said. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are 4-star HAL cruisers. Numerous Trans-Atlantics, trans-pacifics etc. Long HAL Cruises are boring shipboard. Go for the island destination land tours, snorkling etc and cocktails while aboard. Bring a Kindle or suitcase of books, or just work on a good tan. We wouldn’t cruise on any other cruiseline. 

• Like 1

The first time we took a long cruise we were concerned about the length but the days disappeared quickly.   

The only concern I have is how enamored are you with cruising RC style.  RC and HAL are different.  I have sailed both and prefer HAL.  There may be fewer amusements than you are used to  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Wow!  You read that TOTALLY wrong, and your reaction is WAY off base.  Go back and read it in the correct context....which is speaking of the entertainment COMPARED to the OP's regular cruise line.

Sheesh.  🙄

Sorry, please excuse me, I did not mean to offend you or for this to come across that way. I should have been more upbeat and said simply that we are never bored on HAL and are always interested & enjoy all the activities on HAL. That is my opinion. 

• Like 2