The Daily for Tuesday Feb 2, 2021

richwmn

The ‘Nor Easter is continuing to pound away.  It’s not safe for man or beast out there so other than shovelling, we won’t be out.  The dogs are hunkered down.  They know it’s not good and sadly, no walk today. 

Looks like Groundhog Day is not a good day for the Maritimes.

It was 45 years ago exactly that the infamous Groundhog Gale (it was a hurricane more than a Gale) tore through the Bay of Fundy and Nova Scotia and did so much damage and cost lives.

So I guess I won’t complain about the ‘Nor Easter.

Even though I know we will need our plow back.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

So sorry to see on the news that Captain Sir Tom Moore has died at 100 of Covid.  He certainly was an inspiration to a lot of people.

Sad news indeed - especially where he did so much to raise money and awareness of covid 😢 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is hard to follow that post with mine, but I am doing the happy dance.   I have an appointment next Monday for Jab 1.   Hip, Hip, Hooray!

So happy for you 😄 

• Like 4

Looking back on this day on Westerdam, we were at sea, but will also be at sea tomorrow instead of enjoying our scheduled private tour of Manila.  The Captain is unsure if Taiwan will allow us to dock in any of the three ports we’re supposed to visit next!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is hard to follow that post with mine, but I am doing the happy dance.   I have an appointment next Monday for Jab 1.   Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Yay!!!  Persistence pays off.  I was just talking to my sister today about that, she hit redial for 3 hours to get hers, and happened on a cancellation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

No,  Actually, it wasn't a HAL cruise, but a 60 circle the north Pacific on Coral Princess.  We took it because it rt from LA (no long flights) and included quite a few places on the bucket list.

Lenda

I just checked our cruise record sheet and we were on the same cruise: 19 September to 18 November.

• Like 3

Thought I might add one thing about that 60 day cruise from LA to LA.  We had to fly from Seattle down to LA and I found that Alaska Airlines would allow you to ship a case of wine with your luggage without charge.  Worked out well, but I had to pick it up at a different place than the luggage arrival at the airport and when we got to the terminal it wouldn't go with the suitcases so I had to carry it in.  Don't know if Alaska Airlines has that perk now, though.

Ray

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yay!!!  Persistence pays off.  I was just talking to my sister today about that, she hit redial for 3 hours to get hers, and happened on a cancellation.

That is what it takes.  there is no rhyme or reason to how it happens.  Tom still can't get into the sites to schedule an appointment.  

Thanks to all for the congratulations.  I feel very blessed right now.  It will be hard to wait, but I will also have some peace of mind knowing I am going to get it soon.

• Like 7

Congrats to all who are getting or have gotten their shot.  Getting ours was quite a process also but finally received the first one on Sunday.  We scheduled  the second dose while sitting for our 15 minute wait time to see if we had any reactions!  Then changed our mind by the time we got home and were able to schedule the next day in the morning.  Better time for us than what we were given.  Feeling blessed to have the first one done.  We tried for weeks at all times of the day and night to get on a list or to schedule.  

Groundhog's day was always a fun one when I taught first graders.   They seemed to love anything that had to do with shadows!  

Stay safe everyone in that winter storm.  Hope you all are warm and dry with plenty of food and drink to weather the storm.  

Wear your masks and stay safe.  

• Like 11

Thanks for all the information, had to look up Groundhogs, as we don't have any here.  They must be clever to predict weather!

We have a cloudy day, expecting 22 C.

Stay safe everyone in the terrible weather conditions. 

When you have the injections, are you told for how long the vaccine will be effective?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, erewhon said:

When you have the injections, are you told for how long the vaccine will be effective?

I know  I was not and am quite sure there isn't enough long term data on  any of the vaccines to really have a handle on it (not to mention future mutations).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kazu said:

Three Canadian Groundhogs have predicted an early spring - Sam (Nova Scotia), Fred (Quebec) and Willie (Ontario).

Phil in the United States disagreed and predicted 6 more weeks of winter.

Let’s hope the Canadian rodents are right 🤞 

If they'd turn all those darned TV lights off, maybe Phil wouldn't see his shadow, for once.  😄

Canada, you can have your cold and windy weather back now! Brrr

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kplady said:

The reason Punxsatawney Phil saw his shadow is because of all the television lights shining in his face!!!

We got about 15 inches on Long Island....and more predicted for next weekend.  It's really winter here!

Have a good day, stay warm and masked!

Laura

I just saw your post, I still agree about the TV lights. 😄

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Happily@Sea said:

If they'd turn all those darned TV lights off, maybe Phil wouldn't see his shadow, for once.  😄

Canada, you can have your cold and windy weather back now! Brrr

Sorry but I had to laugh at your post.  Cold and windy weather??

I’d invite you up here but the borders are closed.  Let’s just say you don’t know cold and windy until you are up here today 😉   Damp colds are the worst.  They go straight to your bones.

We have 3 jackets drying from shovelling.  It’s so bad out that the dogs don’t play for more than 3 minutes and just do business and I have a winter dog.

I guess that’s why you see some Canadians in Florida with shorts or light clothing while Floridians are in heavy jackets 😉.   Hope it warms up for you 

• Like 8