Everyone share a vacation idea besides cruising

Kentucky816

We all long for the days of cruising but, hey we have to live the life we have now.  None of us are promised tomorrow and I can speak to this because we just lost

a cousin today at the age of 41 due to an aneurysm.  So here is an idea share a vacation you have done or plan to do this year in lieu of cruising.  We will start, we sure missed the salt air so we are doing a VRBO on Amelia Island, FL and boy oh does it seem to fit the bill.  Tremendous views and great food, a little more low key but when you miss the salt air just having a cup of coffee on a balcony sure will be nice.  So share your ideas with us of fun ways to enjoy the beauty of your area, country, etc, maybe we can learn of new places to explore in the future or present.  

B80CB6C3-EA7F-4A3B-BED5-8E4A3A89FB48.png

29D254F6-6A4A-4A83-ACEF-3C8395BB370B.png

• Like 4

Only trip in 2020 was a road trip, stayed in Oregon. Wildlife Safari with the grands, and then lots of social distance camping/boating.  

Going to Hawaii 2x this year. Once in april, once in October. Just have to have a negative test before we go. We have one vaccine down, the other coming in 2 weeks. Hawaii has talked about letting visitors come with a vaccine card this spring, but who knows if that will happen. They say you can still carry the virus so that may be out. Fingers crossed that the trips pan out this year. 

Firstly,   very  sorry for your loss.   When the weather warms up a bit  we'll be taking the pop up camper up to the mountains for a few days of camping.   It's not a cruise but it has all the comforts of home.   Clean crisp air and starry nights.   S'mores around the evening campfire cant be beat.  And no masks or tests.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are going to an Airbnb on Canon Beach, OR in March. If my grandmother is vaccinated by April, we are going to fly to New Mexico to visit our family and friends. I’m from a small but amazing town in the Gila Mountains called Silver City, NM. It’s about a 3 hour drive from Tucson and 4 hours from Albuquerque. Absolutely gorgeous mountains. 

• Like 1

So sorry for your loss.   Since we are in Canada and there is not much to do in the winter......  we have nothing planned.  This spring since there will be no cruise this winter  we are going to use that money and replace the liner in our inground pool and look forward to a fun time with family and hopefully freinds.  We have been in lockdown here since Christmas.  

I just went to cocoa beach, drove 2 days each way. Actually thinking of buying a condo oceanfront. Stayed in hotels. Next time I will fly once vaccine kicks in. 

Kennedy space center. I got to kinda see a space launce while I was there, shook the bldg, big black plum of smoke as it went into the air. 

My idea of a retirement spot someday, near a cruise terminal. Uber ride away. 

20210124_103633.jpg

20210124_103425.jpg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For us, out of Boston,

a 2 hr. flight to Bermuda ;

or a 4 hr flight to San Juan

Once the vaccine kicks the numbers down

Cruises booked for 2022  Time goes too fast or slow depending which side of the wheel you are on

I think about Paris when I'm high on red wine
I wish I could jump on a plane
So many nights I just dream of the ocean
God I wish I was sailin' again

• Thanks 1

After my Alaskan cruise was cancelled last year, I took advantage of crazy cheap airfares for a land based trip to Alaska. Flew to Anchorage and spent a week in Seward and Girdwood (old haunts - I lived there 40 years ago). Had great weather and a great time. Had to have a negative test to get into Alaska and social distancing there is a snap so easy to stay healthy. None of the usual summer tourist crowds. Plenty of hotel/Airbnb bargains. 

Now that the 2021 cruise season in Alaska is cancelled, I may "have to" plan another land trip and head to Homer this time. I can already taste the halibut!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Next trip will be shortly, to the P.O. to mail a package.  In two weeks we will drive 25 miles for our second Covid shots.  In a couple of months my sister will probably fly to San Francisco to visit her youngest daughter.  Daughter and whole family have had COVID and daughter has been vaccinated (Health care worker).  Was scheduled for first shot when she came down with it.  After that she will probably drive to PA (after the snows melt) to visit two more daughters. (Fourth daughter lives with us).  We have some family heritage trips planned for the future.  EM

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kennystwin said:

After my Alaskan cruise was cancelled last year, I took advantage of crazy cheap airfares for a land based trip to Alaska. Flew to Anchorage and spent a week in Seward and Girdwood (old haunts - I lived there 40 years ago). Had great weather and a great time. Had to have a negative test to get into Alaska and social distancing there is a snap so easy to stay healthy. None of the usual summer tourist crowds. Plenty of hotel/Airbnb bargains. 

Now that the 2021 cruise season in Alaska is cancelled, I may "have to" plan another land trip and head to Homer this time. I can already taste the halibut!

You could 'rough it' and do the Alaska Marine Highway...  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last year when our summer cruise was cancelled we ended up going to Wyoming and visiting Yellowstone and Grand Teton National park. Ended up being one of my favorite family vacations. This spring since again no cruise we are flying into Miami and then renting a car and driving through the keys down to Key West. I’m now looking at potential backups for our July Mardi Gras cruise that I expect to get cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hockeyluver said:

So sorry for your loss.   Since we are in Canada and there is not much to do in the winter......  we have nothing planned.  This spring since there will be no cruise this winter  we are going to use that money and replace the liner in our inground pool and look forward to a fun time with family and hopefully freinds.  We have been in lockdown here since Christmas.  

Hoping you will have a nice summer however it may be.  That actually sounds like a great plan !

• Like 1

I'm sorry for your loss.  My cousin died at age 28 of an aneurysm and you are right, you never know what tomorrow may of may not bring.  My family rented a beach house in a sleepy beach town, Oak Island, NC.  Nine days relaxing on the beach was great!  We are planning on doing that trip again this July.  Also booked a 4 day cruise over 4th of July for our 30th anniversary.  Crossing our fingers🤞

• Like 1

Hotels for half price thanks to covid. My trip driving to cape Canaveral I got Fairfield Inn and suites by marriott for about $49 plus taxes 2 nights, regular $122. Days night was $62 at the beach last of january usually high season and a resort for $55 plus $11 resort fees plus taxes. Quite a few choices under $80. a night at the beach or walking a little bit. 

I'm booked for my carnival vista sept 11th cruise across from the seawall to walk there right in the middle of the action, suite facing the beach for $65. If my cruise doesnt go I can still use it and go to Galveston beach. 

I'm still going to the beaches this year, just not via ship perhaps. ..though for april in cocoa beach hotel prices do seem to be rising, I say go stay at a beach, you wouldn't see these hotel prices again.

Normally I couldnt afford key west right now in feb, but prices are down, still high, but not out of sight.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Firstly,   very  sorry for your loss.   When the weather warms up a bit  we'll be taking the pop up camper up to the mountains for a few days of camping.   It's not a cruise but it has all the comforts of home.   Clean crisp air and starry nights.   S'mores around the evening campfire cant be beat.  And no masks or tests.  

That's what I've been doing. Taking my little trailer once a month out to the beaches in Ventura for a few days. Looking out at the water reminds me of cruising sitting on my balcony and at night, the oil rigs are lit up so it looks like other ships passing by at night while walking the deck.

• Like 1

This has helped me realize just how lucky we are to have Florida. I can't think of too many states that have that many scenes, with warm weather. Did a trip to the Keys for a week. Doing a long weekend in St Pete and then another in Fort Meyers soon. Might do Clearwater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Think I’m going to do an all-inclusive in April....Cancun. I’ve been saving my time for cruises but it’s been almost a year. I have to start using it.

Which resort?  I was looking at all inclusives but I don't really know much about them.  I heard Rui Palace was good  and I heard Sandal's was okay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

Gatlinburg in the fall when the leaves are turning color. l am in Florida so do not see that much

only when we went to Tennessee .

Colorado Rockies for a weekend of skiing. At the end of the day a dip in the hot springs at Glenwood Springs to ease the aches of not skiing for many years.

• Like 1

This morning I started looking at beach rentals in the panhandle of Florida.   If I don't feel comfortable flying, I can drive.   I used to go there regularly when my sons were growing up, and we loved the beautiful beaches and the protected National Seashore.

A closer alternative is Door County, WI, the "thumb" that juts into Lake Michigan.   There are beaches, waves, lighthouses, and state parks. Lake Michigan is too big to see across, so it can feel like the ocean.   The water is darn cold even in mid-summer, but it is a pretty place and only a few hours away.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1