Everyone share a vacation idea besides cruising

Kentucky816

Probably head to the lake.  Average cost of airfare is skyrocketing now so wont be flying anywhere.  For instance what was once a short 1.5 hour flight that cost 350 is now up to 975.  Am now not only praying for my future cruises but also that i can fly to them without a second mortgage.😁

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

Which resort?  I was looking at all inclusives but I don't really know much about them.  I heard Rui Palace was good  and I heard Sandal's was okay.

Still working on deciding. I spent much of yesterday researching the different options. The RIU's all seem to be highly rated so they are under consideration. Hopefully I'll decide on something this weekend. I'm planning on covering the whole trip on the Cancun Board .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Still working on deciding. I spent much of yesterday researching the different options. The RIU's all seem to be highly rated so they are under consideration. Hopefully I'll decide on something this weekend. I'm planning on covering the whole trip on the Cancun Board .

And you'll post the Cancun review on your website as well?

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ll have to look out for that. Love your reviews.

• Like 1

So very sorry for your loss OP.

We've done a series of trips, some short and modest, some more extensive.

Last summer we did a couple '2-night driving trips' around our home state of WI.  Mississippi river, Door County, Up North, etc.  Then we had an extended drive to our winter home out in Nevada where we hit highlights like Yellowstone NP on a 7 day, 6 night leisurely drive.

In January we did a week in the Fla Keys, our first ever visit there, via airline and an oceanfront VRBO.  And in April we heading to Maui using the same technique.

Each and every time we try to be smart relative to private accommodations, social distancing, eating outdoors, masking, etc.  But we won't 'shelter in place' in our home exclusively. 

• Thanks 1

We've done three trips since the beginning of Covid

1 - Rented a cottage in Seaside FL and were beach bums for a week.

2 - Week of hiking in Aspen CO

3 - Long weekend in Cancun at an all-inclusive.  By this time, we had all been through COVID so this was more doable for us than it may be for others.

All were wonderful in their own way.  The first two were terrific vacations in which we did not have to interact with other people if we did not choose to.

On the horizon - Disney World in the fall.  Maybe Turks and Caicos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have been trying to figure alternatives. We are currently juggling 2 possibilities over the Summer. I can spend some time with my best friend and his family which I haven't seen for almost 5 years or we can go to a resort in Cancun (assuming restrictions aren't insane for the US return). Cancun we can relax at the beach, go on a whale shark snorkel, and other snorkel opportunities. If I see my best friend, we will only see him for 1-2 days spending 3-4 days in total at a theme park. 

• Thanks 1

We replaced our pool and deck.  Only time we see waves is when somebody cannon balls into it.  The drinks cost a lot less than on a cruise.  Granted, we still have to cook and make our beds but consider ourselves lucky that we at least have that for about four months a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spend a month in Gulf Shores , sitting on the balcony looking at the Gulf drinking cocktails. 

Just being outside will be a welcome relief from the cold/dreary North.

We will practice the same protocols there as we do at home. We are as careful as possible here at home, however we do go out and will go out to places there as well.

14 hours ago, MommytoAsquared said:

We've done three trips since the beginning of Covid

1 - Rented a cottage in Seaside FL and were beach bums for a week.

Seaside.  I visited relatives there many years ago.  Such an interesting community.  Lots of locals enjoying nightlife on their rooftop decks and balconies.

With all the cancellations last year, I ended up buying a boat and enjoying the lakes around home.  As far as an actual vacation, I just got back from an AI in Cancun and enjoyed it very much.  Planning on going back later this year.  Just hope they don't get hit with seaweed again.

3 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Spend a month in Gulf Shores , sitting on the balcony looking at the Gulf drinking cocktails. 

Just being outside will be a welcome relief from the cold/dreary North.

We will practice the same protocols there as we do at home. We are as careful as possible here at home, however we do go out and will go out to places there as well.

Gulf Shores Al ?

We no longer plan our trips like we did when we are working.   We typically have air booked to a city and air booked home  from another city.  Seven or eight weeks in between.  We have the first few nights/week planned and the last night reserved prior to our flight home.

Everything between that is purely spontaneous.  We have a tentative plan but it is always subject to change.  We book a day, two or three in advance.  Depending where we are we shop for last minute cruises.  If we snag a good cruise at the right price we are happy. If not, we are just as happy to keep to our tentative plan. Often we spend 4-7 days, sometimes more if we like it, in one place.

When we first retired we did seven months of this.   Europe, Africa, Europe, US, Costa Rica, US, and home.   Two Med cruises, a TA, and 2 Caribbean last minute cruise thrown in for good measure.

Edited by iancal