The Daily for Wednesday Feb 10, 2021

richwmn

today is National Flannel Day, and Plimsoll Day

Speer's 1st Law of Proofreading:
    The visibility of an error is inversely proportional to the number of times you have looked at it.

Meal suggestion for today - Skier's Skillet

Drink of the Day - Aloha Pina Colada

Wine of the day - Simi Chardonnay - California - White vintage

at Sea English Channel
Zaandam destination Portland eta 2/9

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam
Nieuw Amsterdam destination San Ignacio Anchorage
Noordam
Westerdam
Zuiderdam destination La Paz MX eta 2/11

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay
Eurodam
Oosterdam
Volendam

0210USA.thumb.png.6c08efb979a50b451b3f610136fd8f07.png

0210Tor.thumb.png.3bd61db1e0945a1bcf1903a45d6dee20.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the hump day Daily, Rich.  Flannel is great for cold weather.  I guess my water shoes qualify as plimsoll's.   The quote is perhaps an interesting corollary to "You can't see the forest for the trees".  Skiers Skillet sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup, Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnapps, and Asian Style Rotisserie Duck, as served on MS Maasdam February 10, 2015.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax undergoing radiation treatment

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself

My brother

Seasick Sailor in Quarantine and friend with Covid pneumonia

superoma recovering from lumpectomy

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

First jabs for St. Louis Sal, cruisemom42's parents, St.LouisCruisers, and JazzyV

Sharon’s mom released from hospital

Kazu’s BIL’s mom sitting up
 and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!  I am in compliance with National Flannel Day as my PJ’s are flannel 😎😜.  Hope everyone in the NE US and Canada is stocked up on groceries as wave after wave of snow keeps heading your way.  We have not been home for a winter in several years and I am reminded daily why that was the case.

• Like 19

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I guess my water shoes qualify as plimsoll's.

Plimsoll pushed for load lines (now known as Plimsoll Lines) —which show how low a ship can rest in water without risking sinking—to be painted on ships, so it would be less likely they would be overloaded.

The Plimsoll Line is now recognized around the world. It has expanded to a series of lines that indicate the safe waterline mark for different types of cargo and water type. The line changes depending on salinity, ocean region, temperature, and season.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Plimsoll pushed for load lines (now known as Plimsoll Lines) —which show how low a ship can rest in water without risking sinking—to be painted on ships, so it would be less likely they would be overloaded.

The Plimsoll Line is now recognized around the world. It has expanded to a series of lines that indicate the safe waterline mark for different types of cargo and water type. The line changes depending on salinity, ocean region, temperature, and season.

I learned something new - thanks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, puppycanducruise said:

I learned something new - thanks.

So did I! Being around the Navy for a large portion of my life I knew what Plimsoll Lines were but I had no idea that there was a type of shoe with that name.

• Like 11

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 😄 

It’s certainly cold enough here to warrant wearing flannel. Nice to see Plimsoll day in honour of Samuel Plimsoll celebrated who made commercial sailing safer.

LOL on the Speer’s Law.  So true.

The meal suggestion sounds interesting.  I’m going to have to look that one up.  Oooh a white wine - looking forward to Cat’s description 🙂 

@KirkNCit hasn’t really been that bad of a winter so far, but February is usually brutal.  It’s too dam cold again today making me feel like this:

DC02C97D-8002-45B6-90BB-BC46067C9467.jpeg.27cd8283b84e5f8b6cede4b270ed3025.jpeg

The dogs reminded me

11DCDBA4-1CE2-46A8-9913-F0FC5F974C1D.thumb.jpeg.451f7454c94739f5f5817419be42e806.jpeg

Oh well, it could be worse.  I could be locked out of the house in this frigid cold (and I didn’t want to leave the cats out of this post 😉 )

9B92FED7-D9F9-4712-A03B-C41EAAD34565.jpeg.bebc9cf8258c371e752a2ade2d464294.jpeg

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a toast to everyone the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.  Stay warm and safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Flannel has been a staple of my wardrobe for the past 3 months!  I learned something new today after looking up the word Plimsoll - both the Plimsoll Lines and a type of running shoe.  How true Speers law is . . . I've been caught on that more times than I can count.

Another frigid day here on the "frozen tundra", we woke up to -46C wind chill, which means we won't be heading outdoors anytime soon.  I looked up the Skiers Skillet recipe and found it interesting, combining sausage and apples - I'd like to make it, but don't have any pork sausages in the house.  That one will be tucked away for another time after I get groceries.  Tonight will be a repeat of last night's chili - it seems impossible to make a small batch, so I've frozen some and left enough out for the two of us for dinner tonight.  Again, with a salad and garlic toast, it will be a nice tummy warming dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - especially for @superomaafter her lumpectomy - and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to clink together to toast all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, stay warm, wash your hands and wear your mask!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Guess I will have to hunt for my flannel pjs, since my kayak does not have a Plimsoll line. (BTW, thank you for educating me about this).

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy, hope all goes well with Allen’s second dose. I could have written that quote. It is so me. I cringe when I see all my goofs. The meal sounds intriguing. Looking forward to Summer’s description of the drink. What makes it an “Aloha” pina colada?

Today is a start getting the back deck in order day. Tonight I am doing eggplant cutlets I think. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone. 

This Sonoma Chardonnay has excellent ratings and is widely available. Online prices start at $9.95, so local prices should be fairly reasonable. I need to look for this one. 

Winemaker Notes

This Chardonnay reflects flavors from some of the best growing regions throughout Sonoma County, displaying luscious pear and tropical fruits, crisp acidity, gentle oak spice and a creamy mouthfeel.
JS91 James Suckling: A rich and flavorful chardonnay with sliced cooked apples and pineapple and hints of cream and vanilla. Full body, lots of fruit and a long and flavorful finish
  • Like 21

Good morning, everyone.   

The arm is still sore from my jab, but it is a small price to pay.  It gets better if I move it around a bit.  

I continued my upgraded window treatment campaign yesterday.   I bought new curtains for my bedroom and a new curtain rod for the living room.  The old one was getting tarnished and had lost a finial.  I only have to install one more set of rods for the dining room window.  Then I can dream up some other project to work on, like scrubbing the dust that builds up in the corners.  

Here's prayers for all who need them and cheers for all those who are recovering and doing well.  

Today's meal seems incomplete.  The suggestion said that it needed some scrambled eggs and I agree.  Waffles or pancakes would go along as well.   It sounds like today's wine would be good with this meal.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/skier-s-skillet/

Skier-s-Skillet_EXPS_CIMZ17_5525_D07_20_1b-3.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Hi all,  I'm heading out to the hair salon this morning, but wanted to see what's up here on the Daily.  I'm glad to see it's flannel day, so when I get home maybe I will put on my red flannel penguin pajamas.  

A slight correction.  My Covid shot yesterday was my second jab, and it seems to hurt more than the first one did.  The nurse came around to my side of the car and with no warning stuck it in my arm, without me having time to totally relax the muscle.  I can barely lift that arm above shoulder level, so needless to say this side sleeper didn't get much sleep last night.  Because of that I'm pretty tired today so I hope that will be all the side effects I get.  I will let you all know if anything else happens.  DH says his arm hurts too but sounds like not as much as mine does.  I'll check in here later after my appointment.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi all,  I'm heading out to the hair salon this morning, but wanted to see what's up here on the Daily.  I'm glad to see it's flannel day, so when I get home maybe I will put on my red flannel penguin pajamas.  

A slight correction.  My Covid shot yesterday was my second jab, and it seems to hurt more than the first one did.  The nurse came around to my side of the car and with no warning stuck it in my arm, without me having time to totally relax the muscle.  I can barely lift that arm above shoulder level, so needless to say this side sleeper didn't get much sleep last night.  Because of that I'm pretty tired today so I hope that will be all the side effects I get.  I will let you all know if anything else happens.  DH says his arm hurts too but sounds like not as much as mine does.  I'll check in here later after my appointment.  

Oh dear, hope your arm feels much better very quickly.

• Like 3

Good morning.  Wow on the beautiful sunrises and sunsets.  Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.  Thank you Debbie for the recipe and to Cat for the wine description.  I just look so forward to this thread each day.  Even here in Florida I have flannel PJ bottoms.  Sometimes the AC bothers me.  And I learned about Plimsoll.  So educational.  The quote is so me, I see errors as soon as I hit send.

Prayers and shout outs to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Aloha Pina Colada:

Ingredients (serves 1):

• Ice
  • 60ml Aloha 65
  • 50ml coconut milk (full fat)
  • 75ml fresh pineapple juice
  • 1 tbsp sugar syrup (2 parts white sugar to 1 part water)
  • Juice of ½ lime
  • Slice of pineapple and cocktail umbrella to garnish

Load a blender with all the ingredients and blitz for a few seconds. Pour into a chilled glass. Sit back, relax and soak up the sun.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 8.58.42 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Speer's 1st Law of Proofreading:
    The visibility of an error is inversely proportional to the number of times you have looked at it.

Oh my yes!  I work in an office, and I can reread a letter 5 times....but give it to my co-worker to review?  Finds EVERY mistake!  Darn!

Thanks for my Daily Laugh, Rich!

L.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2