Expect Oceania To Cancel May Cruises Very Soon

njhorseman

I realize this should be no big surprise to anyone.

NCL removed all May cruises from its website earlier in the weekend although it hasn't formally announced any cancellations. Tuesday marks the start of the business week after the holiday weekend and is also exactly four weeks since the last general cancellation announcement, so I'm guessing that's the day May cancellations will be announced.

• Like 1

We are anticipating the cancellation of our May Regatta cruise. Now we are just waiting for the official word and to see how O handles everything.

Wish it weren't so.......Just having something to look forward to that is positive and pleasurable would go a long way to getting us through the healing of the world.

• Like 4

Europe is the next big shoe to drop. The tourist industry has supposedly been promised a 4/1 decision date on when, and under what circumstances, tourists can return. Hopes are 6/1, with 7/1 being considered more likely.

It’s a wait and see.

I cannot see  cruises  starting up  at least until the  later  part 2021  if then

So many Countries  still  have high numbers of the virus & now the new Variants  are emerging

Then you have Ebola  cases in Africa  again

We have 100+  cases of the new Variant in Ontario  alone   & they are just  starting to vaccinate the 80+  when they get the new shipments of vaccine  sometime soon  ?

They still have not done all nursing homes in Ontario or staff ..

My niece  works in a care home & they have no word on when they will get the vaccine  ..all this while the cases there are ramping up

In our area  we are still in "STAY AT HOME" orders   I just wish people would  follow the rules   so we can move on with our lives sooner than later

JMO

• Like 3

Just sent our TA instructions to move our 5/21 to 9/21. 

We are doing very well with vaccinations and also have exponential decrease in new infections so if we come out of lockdown carefully enough September may be an option, especially as the cruise is around UK only.

We will see, at least I will definitely have had both doses of the vaccine by then.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Europe is the next big shoe to drop. The tourist industry has supposedly been promised a 4/1 decision date on when, and under what circumstances, tourists can return. Hopes are 6/1, with 7/1 being considered more likely.

It’s a wait and see.

I could see flying to Europe sooner than cruising.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

My niece  works in a care home & they have no word on when they will get the vaccine  ..all this while the cases there are ramping up

That's a shame. We know someone who manages a senior living place in Seattle. 100% of the residents and staff have gotten both shots and they're going to be able to start using the dining room again and even some outings

I wonder if/when  O will change the final payment date for July 30, 2021 trip.  Would love to see the date moved from March 2 until closer to embarkation. Still hopeful for that trip with flights and pre cruise hotel nights booked.  

47 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

I wonder if/when  O will change the final payment date for July 30, 2021 trip.  Would love to see the date moved from March 2 until closer to embarkation. Still hopeful for that trip with flights and pre cruise hotel nights booked.  

Have you asked to have it moved to 60 days  or maybe just cancel now as I doubt you will be sailing anyway

• Like 1

Considering .Alaska, Canada and I believe Australia and NZ are currently off the board along with numerous other countries and an extremely fluid situation I would not be surprised all cruises until December.

Despite all the feel good PR from NCLH they are on credit watch and do not want to risk calling crews back for cruises that might not sail or operate at a loss.

This also gives them a chance to update the  O brochure of the day mailing.

Our next O cruise is end of May. I haven't looked at excursions or flights and have already started making non cruise plans for that time period. Lot's of national parks to visit.

• Like 1

My next O cruise is Aug. 29 Baltic on Marina. I have plane tickets to/from Europe, award tix so easily cancellable with miles redeposited. I have pre and post hotels reserved, no penalty to cancel. haven't spent any time on shore ex.

I am also looking at national parks to visit in the Aug.-Sept. time frame as a backup plan. I looked at Glacier NP but no one knows how open it will be this summer and there is a lot of road construction going on there. All in park lodging is already booked up for the summer. Considering Rocky Mountain NP.

4 hours ago, azdrydock said:

Considering .Alaska, Canada and I believe Australia and NZ are currently off the board along with numerous other countries and an extremely fluid situation I would not be surprised all cruises until December.

Despite all the feel good PR from NCLH they are on credit watch and do not want to risk calling crews back for cruises that might not sail or operate at a loss.

This also gives them a chance to update the  O brochure of the day mailing.

Our next O cruise is end of May. I haven't looked at excursions or flights and have already started making non cruise plans for that time period. Lot's of national parks to visit.

Actually Australia isn’t “off the boards”. I believe Oceania’s next scheduled cruises there aren’t until December. What Australia did announce was : that when they do open Covid vaccinations would be required for entry.

So the question becomes will they open by December, their next summer sailing season? 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

What Australia did announce was : that when they do open Covid vaccinations would be required for entry.

Have they ? IE. the Australian Government ?

I'm not saying that they won't, simply that I haven't seen that announcement.

I'm aware the Qantas CEO said a requirement to fly Qantas, but that's all I recall.

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

What Australia did announce was : that when they do open Covid vaccinations would be required for entry.

6 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Have they ? IE. the Australian Government ?

I'm not saying that they won't, simply that I haven't seen that announcement.

I'm aware the Qantas CEO said a requirement to fly Qantas, but that's all I recall.

There has been no official announcement but the Minister responsible has stated "the Government was still working with other countries on how the vaccination certificate would work for international travel, but it was "highly likely" people coming to Australia would need a vaccination certificate or a period in quarantine."

More here.

Note, just stating you have been vaccinated wont be enough (or flashing the yellow card) - you will need some sort of electronic proof. That's the bit they are still working on.

There is no date announced on when Australian borders will be re-opened. 

We are booked on Nautica out of Dubai on 2 December 2021. While I expect to be vaccinated by then, I think it is only 50/50 that I will be allowed to leave Australia to join the cruise (if it sails). 

Edited by Beagle5
  • Thanks 2

On 2/14/2021 at 7:37 PM, njhorseman said:

I realize this should be no big surprise to anyone.

NCL removed all May cruises from its website earlier in the weekend although it hasn't formally announced any cancellations. Tuesday marks the start of the business week after the holiday weekend and is also exactly four weeks since the last general cancellation announcement, so I'm guessing that's the day May cancellations will be announced.

Apparently, you have the ability to see into the future.  Announced today.  

According to "Cruise Industry News" today:

"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings has announced an extension of its previously announced suspension of global cruise voyages through May 31, 2021 for the Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands."

3 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Apparently, you have the ability to see into the future.  Announced today.  

Not seeing into the future. It was pretty obvious as they were following the pattern that that they had in the past....remove cruises from the website and announce cancellations about once a month.

Edited by njhorseman

44 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Just an educated guess.

I was going to say it’s what happens when one rides horses in NJ this time of year, particularly currently! All kinds of visions, revelations, and unexplained images flash before your mind!  😁. 🥂

• Haha 1

No O cruises now until June 2021.  Probably more will be canceled soon. As we approach a year since cruising stopped, it’s time to rethink how to vacation.  Still have fcc and booking. However, not willing to post final payment while cruising is not sailing.  Booking and rebooking is getting old. While I feel badly for people in the travel industry, I am a realist.  If my next booking gets canceled, I am done.  Fcc is worthless until the pandemic is past.  
also, noticed that Oceania is refunding money paid. No offer of 125% fcc.  Former fcc is reissued.  There are so many people caught in the book, cancel, rebook loop that issuing more fcc is becoming less attractive.  All it does is get the same group of people to get frustrated.  Until the world is safe, booking any cruise seems depressing.  I had previously miscalculated and thought that the pandemic would be over by now. I had also unwittingly thought that getting vaccinated would return life to normal.  Was I wrong!  

14 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

No O cruises now until June 2021.  Probably more will be canceled soon. As we approach a year since cruising stopped, it’s time to rethink how to vacation.  Still have fcc and booking. However, not willing to post final payment while cruising is not sailing.  Booking and rebooking is getting old. While I feel badly for people in the travel industry, I am a realist.  If my next booking gets canceled, I am done.  Fcc is worthless until the pandemic is past.  
also, noticed that Oceania is refunding money paid. No offer of 125% fcc.  Former fcc is reissued.  There are so many people caught in the book, cancel, rebook loop that issuing more fcc is becoming less attractive.  All it does is get the same group of people to get frustrated.  Until the world is safe, booking any cruise seems depressing.  I had previously miscalculated and thought that the pandemic would be over by now. I had also unwittingly thought that getting vaccinated would return life to normal.  Was I wrong!  

Agree and the FCC you apply in 2022 and on -- the cruise prices will likely be higher and eat up most any past bonus (25%)

41 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I had previously miscalculated and thought that the pandemic would be over by now. I had also unwittingly thought that getting vaccinated would return life to normal.  Was I wrong!  

We were all hoping the pandemic would be over by now  but  not happening yet

Your life may return to normal once the World or at least people in your surrounding areas are vaccinated & no more virus cases in your area

People are travelling around  spreading the virus  so it may not end very soon

JMO

18 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Agree and the FCC you apply in 2022 and on -- the cruise prices will likely be higher and eat up most any past bonus (25%)

Back in December we put deposits cruises in Sept/Oct 2022 which were the closest itins we could find to replace this May (which replaced our May 2020 cruises/ itins).  And yes, next, next fall is more expensive than 2021 May, which was more expensive than 2020 May.  

I can't fight it, and I'm not going to dwell on it.  Time is running out for us for travel overseas, and things are what they are.  I just want to get there.

(and United was just kind enough to issue an ETC for thousands of dollars worth of business fares, and give us 24 month from now to use it.  It was discretionary, The contract only said they had to give us until July of this year to use or lose.  I am so grateful.)