The Daily for Tuesday Feb 16, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

2nd day no water. Were supposed to go next door for a Fat Tuesday party tonight. Our walkway and driveway are sheer ice, too dangerous for Allen to try to walk. (He uses a walker for those who didn't know) so I'm going to meet our neighbor at our backyard and he's passing me the gumbo, crab cakes and kings cake over our fence. 

Our weather is going to be nasty tonight. People are lined out in the cold to get into our HEB market. It's crazy!

Take care.  It's really bad here.  but, we'e more used to it than you are.  Just the same, we weren't going anywhere today.  The dogs got the "no walk" fast as it's so nasty out with the ice pellets hailing down.  They don't even stay out long to play.  Marley is hunkered down and Miko is watching TV.  (I'm not kidding - he watches TV).

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Just got off the phone with my PCC and booked a 14 day New England/Canada cruise for Oct 2022.  This is the farthest cruise out that I have ever booked, more than 18 months out, but I wanted to replace my last one that was cancelled using the Have it All Promotion.  I'm excited even though I have to wait so long.  It's on the Nieuw Statendam, which will be something new for us.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 14

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Marley is hunkered down and Miko is watching TV.  (I'm not kidding - he watches TV).

Blue watches TV too!!  When we first got him DH used to point out different animals to him during TV shows and he would bark, growl, or moan at the TV.  So I started leaving the TV on while I went to work in the other room.  Now we don't even have to mention anything and he goes berserk when he sees animals on TV.  And more recently he has been growling at people who wear masks on TV.  Goodness, he even growls and barks at our reflections in our sliding glass door thinking that there is an intruder lurking outside.

• Like 13

There are wonderful people who walk among us.  

My plow guys came early this morning and did plow what was in the driveway, but it kept snowing.  So, my sister and I were cleaning that up bit by bit.  We weren't in a hurry, just planning to get it done by tonight.  We looked out the window and a young man was shoveling the end of my driveway.   I sent Sue out to thank him and offer him some money.   He would not take the money and said shoveling was better than sitting on his couch.   Sue reported that now only was he a nice guy, he was pretty cute as well.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon!

we have sunshine between the rain showers. Headed from the coast to Vancouver ,WA soon . Major roads are good.  Side roads not so much.  But we will be fine getting in our driveway by now I am sure.
As always, I have enjoyed all comments and pictures.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your consistently great posts.  Roy, take care of yourself!  You are very important on this board. 
We had  to pre-registrant for our first shot using our insurance card.  Still showed it when we went for the shot along with identification.    Sure is interesting how it is even different from county to county here.  
Stay well and warm and safe everyone. 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Take care.  It's really bad here.  but, we'e more used to it than you are.  Just the same, we weren't going anywhere today.  The dogs got the "no walk" fast as it's so nasty out with the ice pellets hailing down.  They don't even stay out long to play.  Marley is hunkered down and Miko is watching TV.  (I'm not kidding - he watches TV).

Our Golden Retriever watches TV also. 
He can sit and watch a couple programs sometimes ( though it is rarely on that long). 
@Sharon in AZ I initially read that as the “Have Had It” promotion.😜

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Our Golden Retriever watches TV also. 
He can sit and watch a couple programs sometimes ( though it is rarely on that long). 
@Sharon in AZ I initially read that as the “Have Had It” promotion.😜

Thank goodness I was able to edit and added the "All" to the phrase!  😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Good afternoon everyone.  I did not get online at all yesterday so I am now playing catch up.

Roy I am so sorry that your brother has passed. I will pray for you and your entire family. I don't know if this will be a confort to you but I found it to be a confort to me when my husband passed. "He is just gone from your sight".

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

We are currently in the middle of a thunderstorm in South Florida. Just got this shot of a rainbow 🌈 from my balcony. Beats snow, but unusual weather for this time of year.

IMG_20210216_164216162~2.jpg

Now I’m impressed. The rainbows here don’t make that kind of a splash!😉

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Blue watches TV too!!  When we first got him DH used to point out different animals to him during TV shows and he would bark, growl, or moan at the TV.  So I started leaving the TV on while I went to work in the other room.  Now we don't even have to mention anything and he goes berserk when he sees animals on TV.  And more recently he has been growling at people who wear masks on TV.  Goodness, he even growls and barks at our reflections in our sliding glass door thinking that there is an intruder lurking outside.

LOL - I don’t dare leave the TV on with Miko unsupervised.  He will attack it if he’s excited.  

It all started when I got him neutered and had to find a way to keep him quiet so I put the Lion King on for him.  I think it played 8 times while he was convalescing but it was a huge mistake as now he watches tv, and if he’s not and hears a commercial with dogs in it (he knows the music), he comes running.  I never realized how many commercials there were with dogs and cats on TV until Miko started watching 😉 

• Like 12
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Today's fire department email included a call for personnel to act as vaccinators.  I think now all who ride the ambulances regularly (paramedics through EMT-I) can just sign up while those at the lowest level of medical training (EMT-B) can to a short online course to qualify.  I hope this indicates there is optimism of more vaccines becoming available.

Way back in 1976 when we had the Swine Flu I participated in the vaccination effort as a "Jet injector technician" and gave out shots at a local elementary school.

Roy

Roy, wouldn't it be great if we could do our own shots, like an epi pen? Allen takes an injection every 2 weeks and it's so easy..

• Like 7

11 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  It's been raining all night, our ground is so saturated.  Love do a grouch a favor day.  Happy Fat Tuesday!  And what would we do without innovators.  The meal sounds interesting, can't wait to see the recipe.  Took me awhile to figure out the poem.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our list, especially Roy, and toasts to the others.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Sangria:

Original recipe yields 6 servings
Ingredient Checklist
½ cup brandy
¼ cup lemon juice
⅓ cup frozen lemonade concentrate
⅓ cup orange juice
1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
½ cup triple sec
1 lemon, sliced into rounds
1 orange, sliced into rounds
1 lime, sliced into rounds
¼ cup white sugar (Optional)
8 maraschino cherries
2 cups carbonated water (Optional)

Directions
Instructions Checklist
Step 1 In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.00.49 AM.png

Look great, but sure a lot of ingredients! Wow!

• Like 2

Our precious blue healer/border collie Mackenzie would watch TV also. Anytime a doorbell rang she would run to the front door wagging her tail.  When we didn't get up, she would come over and pull on my sleeve, perhaps thinking I lost my hearing and someone was waiting at the door!

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Roy, wouldn't it be great if we could do our own shots, like an epi pen? Allen takes an injection every 2 weeks and it's so easy..

Unfortunately, that will also require a more stable vaccine, and probably a lot of repacking thought to get it into single dose quantities.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@richwmnthank you for the daily report, @rafinmdthank you for continuing the lists and your sunrise photos.

Thanks to everyone else for the information, humour and photos.

Another two community cases of covid-19, both contacts of the school pupil from the family who tested positive the other day.

Later today we will hear if the alert levels will change, hopefully Auckland will drop from alert level 3.

A sunny day, but only16 C

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 11

Very late to the game today due to work but wanted to see how everyone was weathering the various ice storms, snow storms, even tornadoes.  I did not expect to see a rainbow though -- thanks @Sea Viewer

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

DH looked at the forecast this morning and announced that it is forecast to rain for the rest of our lives. Sums it up nicely.

Indeed, that sure sums up the weather here. I hope it will mean a beautiful Spring in the making.

And by the way, your Rapa Nui photos are outstanding. When you imagine what those statues have weathered over the years, it sort of takes away the sting of having to deal with the pandemic and the here and now. I'm sure they will be there, when I can finally make that trip. 

Today's wine sounds good, but for my drink I think I'll take a Hurricane, for Mardi Gras.  Reminds me of the fun I had on my one Mardi Gras road trip to New Orleans when I was a senior in college with eight girl friends. It was freezing but we stood out for the parades with a hurricane in one hand and grabbing beads with the other. 

image.png.be37bb622734380cd6bf96f14f616bfb.png 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 15

42 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Very late to the game today due to work but wanted to see how everyone was weathering the various ice storms, snow storms, even tornadoes.  I did not expect to see a rainbow though -- thanks @Sea Viewer

Indeed, that sure sums up the weather here. I hope it will mean a beautiful Spring in the making.

And by the way, your Rapa Nui photos are outstanding. When you imagine what those statues have weathered over the years, it sort of takes away the sting of having to deal with the pandemic and the here and now. I'm sure they will be there, when I can finally make that trip. 

Today's wine sounds good, but for my drink I think I'll take a Hurricane, for Mardi Gras.  Reminds me of the fun I had on my one Mardi Gras road trip to New Orleans when I was a senior in college with eight girl friends. It was freezing but we stood out for the parades with a hurricane in one hand and grabbing beads with the other. 

image.png.be37bb622734380cd6bf96f14f616bfb.png 

As long as you only have one,  says she speaking from experience 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3