Cape Liberty - Bayonne

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL...my aunt would say "like living in Hess's window"  (which of course makes no sense to anyone that isn't familar with the famous Hess's department store in Allentown, PA).   My relatives did it...a CP room...and really liked it. If that's the scenery you want during a cruise,  definitely go for it. 

I loved Hess's.  My mother grew up in allentown and we went back several times a year.  Their toy dept at christmas time was amazing.  My Dad always enjoyed hanging out at bar/restaurant and watch the models show the seasons cruisewear while my Mom and I would shop.

So sad they closed years ago.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I loved Hess's.  My mother grew up in allentown and we went back several times a year.  Their toy dept at christmas time was amazing.  My Dad always enjoyed hanging out at bar/restaurant and watch the models show the seasons cruisewear while my Mom and I would shop.

Now that sounds like my kind of department store! 😇👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My mother grew up in allentown

Small world, as the saying goes!  Where in A-town? I grew up right in center city - 15th & Allen Sts., and my grandparents lived at 22nd and Union - on the west side. My brother is still there - near Cedar Crest Blvd. 

The "Patio" restaurant (part of the store) was an adventure in and of itself. For one thing, the menu was HUGE - and I mean that literally - thing must have been like over 2 feet high and when you opened it up it probably spanned about 3 feet or so in width.. Food was great - large portions. Strawberry shortcake to die for. I heard they gave the menus out to the wait staff - which seems fitting.

Shopping there was also a unique experience. You could find stuff there that noone else carried. As to the models...yeah....they'd come strutting out in the restaurant while you were eating wearing the latest (expensive) fashions "from our French room", etc. So cool. My aunt used to shop for clothes there - said sometimes she nearly spent most of her paychecks! 

Very classy place all around. And, as mentioned, the Christmas decoration was legendary. We'll not see the likes again of that store - at least not in A-town. 

Here's a terrific video about it...  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

..... but I must admit to really having enjoyed being with only 900 other passengers on a recent cruise. 

I will infer that you are referencing your 2019 Viking Sky cruise.  You get what you pay for and you paid an upcharge to cruise with only 900 versus a mainstream cruise line. It's comparing an apple to an orange comparing a 900 person ship versus a 6000 person one.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 1:17 AM, Iamcruzin said:

The Summit was one of my favorite ships. It's too small to close off the entire front of the ship for the retreat.  At least the newer ships are larger and the area was planned.  I hate when they try to update the older ships and squeeze in same amenities of the newer ships.

While now we prefer all of the bells and whistles of the Oasis class , S class and Edge class ships, we enjoyed sailing on the summit in August for many years- it was very familiar and easy to navigate.  We always enjoyed  the service and crew on it.  Stayed in suite class and it was great.  Unfortunately, we no longer will sail on summit as we used to sail in August from Bayonne and it no longer has itinerary for us.  

We actually enjoy the Oasis which will be sailing from Bayonne this August- maybe!.  But back to CPV cabins- we really enjoyed them, especially when traveling with kids- very cost effective and we took attached cabins on deck 9 when traveling with kids- two bathrooms. A real bargin for four people.  IMO when you want to see the sea- you can go on an outside deck.  If we had a small balcony over restaurants or stores, enjoyed the peace at night.  But deck 9 with a picture window was great.  We find so many quiet spots on the Oasis class ships, it is amazing.  And we love the entertainment.

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We find so many quiet spots on the Oasis class ships

That's good to know....we'll have to give it a try sometime, but I'll still go for outside balcony. I know you can get out on deck for the view, etc., but there are just so many times when it's very convenient to step in and out on the balcony for even a few minutes (like while wearing pajamas!!) or getting ready for dinner, etc. - especially if we're in the room while arriving to or leaving port, etc. Or, early in the morning...like I said - while still in pjs  😆 One of my favorite things on a cruise is just sitting out on the private balcony to read for a few hours - especially on sea days. Can do that on a public deck also, but...our balcony is far less crowded!  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

That's good to know....we'll have to give it a try sometime, but I'll still go for outside balcony. I know you can get out on deck for the view, etc., but there are just so many times when it's very convenient to step in and out on the balcony for even a few minutes (like while wearing pajamas!!) or getting ready for dinner, etc. - especially if we're in the room while arriving to or leaving port, etc. Or, early in the morning...like I said - while still in pjs  😆 One of my favorite things on a cruise is just sitting out on the private balcony to read for a few hours - especially on sea days. Can do that on a public deck also, but...our balcony is far less crowded!  

Agree that if in your budget much better with a seaview balcony or our favorite an oceanview crown loft suite. However the small inside cabin or oceanview cabins are only 179 square feet. The CPV cabins are at least 191 square feet and reasonable, especially deck nine

14 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Agree that if in your budget much better with a seaview balcony or our favorite an oceanview crown loft suite. However the small inside cabin or oceanview cabins are only 179 square feet. The CPV cabins are at least 191 square feet and reasonable, especially deck nine

There was some perk that came with CPV cabins recently but I can't recall what it was. Maybe a specialty dinner? 

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

There was some perk that came with CPV cabins recently but I can't recall what it was. Maybe a specialty dinner? 

I think all of those inside balcony perks went away some time ago.  I don't believe there are any, anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

I think all of those inside balcony perks went away some time ago.  I don't believe there are any, anymore.

The perks for the CP balcony was a bottle of red wine and lunch at Jamies or Giovannis.

The perks ended September 2019 when Royal discontinued those as well as the Boardwalk balcony perks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

The CPV cabins

...what is this exactly? Probably mentions it somewhere along the way, but with a somewhat casual look back through a few pages I didn't see anything. On Royal, we usually get a GS (371 sq. ft) and enjoy the perks that come with that, although  I could do without the complimentary bottle of champagne and usually wind up only drinking a small amount of it or sometimes we don't even open it. 

Anthem was mentioned in this thread. I would like to try that - never been on that one yet. Anything out of Liberty or Baltimore is nice for us since we're within a few hours of either...especially Barefoot Beach on Labadee.

Edited by OnTheJourney

14 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

...what is this exactly? Probably mentions it somewhere along the way, but with a somewhat casual look back through a few pages I didn't see anything. On Royal, we usually get a GS (371 sq. ft) and enjoy the perks that come with that, although  I could do without the complimentary bottle of champagne and usually wind up only drinking a small amount of it or sometimes we don't even open it. 

Anthem was mentioned in this thread. I would like to try that - never been on that one yet. Anything out of Liberty or Baltimore is nice for us since we're within a few hours of either...especially Barefoot Beach on Labadee.

Central Park View. Deck 9.  No balcony just a large window. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

17 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I will infer that you are referencing your 2019 Viking Sky cruise.  You get what you pay for and you paid an upcharge to cruise with only 900 versus a mainstream cruise line. It's comparing an apple to an orange comparing a 900 person ship versus a 6000 person one.

As with other cruise lines bargains exist if you look hard enough.  Our last VO (15 nights NY - Miami) was only $230/night for a 260sf PV cabin.  With free airfare and all the Viking inclusions it was cheaper than our recent verandas on Anthem.  Amazing experience

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Actually, they are not canceled ... yet.  They are currently "on hold".

"On Hold" but we've been given options for our 9 night Oct 2021 Canada N/E...that seems to say they won't be sailing that itinerary so basically we can assume. I'm waiting for the Oct 2022 schedule to be released and do a L/S.

10 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Grew up in Allentown at 16th & Union

Wow...cool. My brother graduated from Allen in either '62 or '63. I never got there - I was the first class at Trexler Jr. High after it was built (loved that bridge going over 15th street!), but then we moved out of town before I got to High School. Used to always visit my grandparents by driving past the Rose Garden along Parkway Blvd. and then Ott St. to Union. Terrific memories. 

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

"On Hold" but we've been given options for our 9 night Oct 2021 Canada N/E...that seems to say they won't be sailing that itinerary so basically we can assume. I'm waiting for the Oct 2022 schedule to be released and do a L/S.

Can not happen.  Lift and Shift option was discontinued on Jan 31.  You'll need to take the 125% FCC and keep your fingers crossed that the price increase is no more than 25% for your category.  YMMV.

20 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Can not happen.  Lift and Shift option was discontinued on Jan 31.  You'll need to take the 125% FCC and keep your fingers crossed that the price increase is no more than 25% for your category.  YMMV.

Sorry but according to my email from RCI a L/S will be possible as one of my options on this particular sailing. Which they are offering on some Alaska & Canada N/E itineraries.

And why I'm waiting for the Oct 2022 schedule to be released to price protect my booking.

Edited by Ashland

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

49 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Sorry but according to my email from RCI a L/S will be possible as one of my options on this particular sailing. Which they are offering on some Alaska & Canada N/E itineraries.

And why I'm waiting for the Oct 2022 schedule to be released to price protect my booking.

Ashland is correct.

I was able to L&S my "on hold" Fall 2021 Jewel TA (with Canadian ports) to Fall 2022 Voyager TA. 

• Thanks 1