Chances of a Kids Sail Free This Spring?

RCCL Fan

2 minutes ago, BSocial said:

Wow - I can’t believe your comments.    That is such a degrading thing to say about families.   And Alcohol and bingo card purchases are your basis for not being stingy?  Really? 

SMH.   

Right? I'd argue families getting in a yearly vacation splurging on nice dining, drinks, and photo packages are probably spending more per person even with "stingy" kids than the 16 cruises a year milk-the-loyalty perks crowd... Unless this was a plainly classist insult that quite frankly doesn't deserve the print space on this board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The only mass market cruise line that is adults only is Virgin, who has yet to begin sailing and I believe that initially the longest cruise they have is only 5 days long.  There are niche lines like Saga, who is based in the UK and only had 2 ships or the ultra premium lines like Crystal that generally do not compete with the same clientele as RCI.

You do realize that this will only be a short term thing until a vaccine is developed for children.  And the entire possibility is moot if RCI deems it unnecessary that children need to be vaccinated in order to cruise.  There will be no reason for you to research other cruise lines because more than likely once one of the mass market lines determines that vaccinations will be needed for 100% of the occupants on board, all of the other mass market lines will follow suit, thus eliminating kids on board for the short term until there is a vaccine for them.  It is just speculation at this point when that vaccine would be ready.  It is also speculation regarding the decision that the lawyers and bean counters will make regarding whether children need to be vaccinated or not.  

Wow, I stand corrected. I would have for sure thought that there were more adult only lines. I wonder if it's because there really isn't much demand for them or if it's because cruise lines have found catering to families to be more profitable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Maybe we should ask Royal to reinstate the no cruising for over 70 without a doctors note. That seemed like a great idea pandemic or not. Too bad it was a short-lived. 

Don't joke, this is on Royal's website still to this day.....

"We know that our 70+ guests and those with chronic conditions are especially eager to understand what cruising will look like in the future. While subject to change, via the Cruise Lines International Association, we have confirmed that the previous restrictions were lifted in early April after cruise lines suspended service. Please know that every decision we make, and all of the fine-tuning we do, has your well-being in mind. We miss you – and can’t wait to welcome you back onboard."

13 minutes ago, lizzius said:

Right? I'd argue families getting in a yearly vacation splurging on nice dining, drinks, and photo packages are probably spending more per person even with "stingy" kids than the 16 cruises a year milk-the-loyalty perks crowd... Unless this was a plainly classist insult that quite frankly doesn't deserve the print space on this 

Edited by BSocial
Agree with poster, ipad acting up

6 minutes ago, lizzius said:

Right? I'd argue families getting in a yearly vacation splurging on nice dining, drinks, and photo packages are probably spending more per person even with "stingy" kids than the 16 cruises a year milk-the-loyalty perks crowd... Unless this was a plainly classist insult that quite frankly doesn't deserve the print space on this board.

Fully agree. any child over 12 pays full adult fair... hardly cheap and stingy...soft drinks pages, the cost of games etc in the teen area. all adds up to an uncheap, unstingy holiday id say.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Wow, I stand corrected. I would have for sure thought that there were more adult only lines. I wonder if it's because there really isn't much demand for them or if it's because cruise lines have found catering to families to be more profitable.

Glad that I could educate you regarding the situation about adult only lines.  RCI and their major competition (Carnival, NCL, MSC) and minor competition (Celebrity, Princess, HAL) are all mass market lines going after singles, couples and families.  They are also pinpointing many of their promotions towards new cruisers or those who have limited previous sailings.  These are the demographics that tend to spend more on board and thus add more to the bottom line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spookwife said:

Many disagree with that opinion.  The sound of a two year old shrieking..in pain, laughter or anger, is physically painful to my husband due to several ear surgeries.  Kids do not make a vacation enjoyable for those who want to relax by a quiet pool and read or work on their tan.  Nor do I enjoy being tackled as I walk down a Pway and a pack of roaming pre teens come barreling around the corner.  

I think Disney does the best at providing child free areas for the adults who want that experience while still catering to the families that want to do everything together.  

kKSF is offered when they need to fill berths.  Right now, they are not having any problems doing that even in this major time of uncertainty .  There are more than enough adults who will take up the available spaces that they won’t need to pander to the demographic that is, to put it meanly..cheap and stingy.  Any free berth still costs money to the cruiseline.  If in nothing else but basic wear and tear and revenue lost because half the cabin isn’t purchasing alcohol or bingo cards.  

Headphones for your DH...or go to an adult only hotel (but even there adults can be loud). If you're that unhappy with the world noise around you just stay home and sound proof .

• Like 1

Look I don't care if it kids, adults that wear diapers or purple people w/ one eye... how many are willing to drop $8-10K on a nice cruise ship vacation only to have it stopped on day two and returned to port because an unvacinated passenger got Covid and died.  

Sound off. How many? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Look I don't care if it kids, adults that wear diapers or purple people w/ one eye... how many are willing to drop $8-10K on a nice cruise ship vacation only to have it stopped on day two and returned to port because an unvacinated passenger got Covid and died.  

Sound off. How many? 

Exactly  Which means 100% fully vaccinated means everyone onboard regardless of age.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Sound off. How many? 

There will still likely be cases of Covid on ships. Even after 2 doses of vaccine it’s estimated around 95% effective. So with 3000 full vaccinated people on a cruise 150 people on average will still get sick if infected. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

There will still likely be cases of Covid on ships. Even after 2 doses of vaccine it’s estimated around 95% effective. So with 3000 full vaccinated people on a cruise 150 people on average will still get sick if infected. 

Yep... this is a known truth, but what seems to be missing as part of the truth, is that the vaccine is to prevent severe illness, hosptialiations, and deaths. Getting sick and death are two different things. The vax has never been presented by anyone to PREVENT the illness. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The hand writing is on the wall. Royal has been progressing towards family oriented cruises, especially with new ship builds. They become more attractive to families. The older ships are slowly being phased out. I think Virgin is an adults only cruise line. 

M8

I have a feeling the adult group on Virgin could equal or surpass the noise of a RC sailing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

But will a 3000 full vaccinated ship include 300 unvaccinated children that may increase that 150 people?

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Sound off. How many? 

That is basically my concern for not having a fully vaccinated ship. I know I and hubby will be protected. I've had both Moderna shots and hubby is beginning his vaccination process in two days. Our safety will not be a concern because we will have enough immunity from Covid to feel safe enough on board a cruise ship.

How the cruise lines will handle one, two or how ever many positive cases on board is what I'm concerned about. I won't want to set foot on a cruise ship if those protocols include having to quarantine all the passengers and us not being able to disembark in our home port. So many ifs about what will happen if anyone on board tests positive.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

The flu shot is 40-50% effective. Does that mean 50-60% of cruise passengers get infected?

It simply doesn't work like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

But will a 3000 full vaccinated ship include 300 unvaccinated children that may increase that 150 people?

No faster than the 150 people will, if they're all coming from the same place. This is why vaccinations on board are negligible in importance when compared with vaccination rate where you're coming from.

Your numbers are problematic anyway... 300 won't be infected. Some degree of them, reflective of the infection rate among the adult population, will have natural immunity. Even in the absence of that, unless they all spend all day together *before* getting on the boat, it is extraordinarily unlikely that your cruise would happen to have 300 infected littles on board given what we know about the virus. If they get infected on board, well, so what. They aren't likely to do much infecting or even show symptoms before a 7 day cruise is up.

Edited by lizzius

4 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

If it’s not severe illness,  hospitalizations, and death you are worried about, what symptoms should stop a cruise? Exactly how is that different than any other cold or flu at that point?

I'm not worried it. I'm vaxed up.  Except.... if an anti-vaxer crawls onto the ship, gets all messed up w/ the covid and causes my vacation to be cancelled or me to be quarantined... then I'll get a bit riled up. 

#getvaxedorstayhome

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

So with 3000 full vaccinated people on a cruise 150 people on average will still get sick if infected. 

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

5 hours ago, lizzius said:

No faster than the 150 people will, if they're all coming from the same place.

Your numbers are problematic anyway... 300 won't be infected.....it is extraordinarily unlikely that your cruise would happen to have 300 infected littles on board given what we know about the virus. If they get infected on board, well, so what. They aren't likely to do much infecting or even show symptoms before a 7 day cruise is up.

As you can see, it was Billy Baltic who brought up the 150 people out of 3000 that may get sick.  I just want to inquire whether if adding an additional 300 unvaccinated children would possibly increase that number to 151 or not.  Nobody ever said anything about 300 infected kids except for you,  and then you go and say if they get infected on board, so what.  Would you feel the same way if one of your non vaccinated kids got infected on board? 

10 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Your maths and understand of how infections work are so bad that it hurts my brain.

Google herd immunity. understand it. Then think about what you just wrote.