Chances of a Kids Sail Free This Spring?

RCCL Fan

21 hours ago, lizzius said:

Just going to point people to this thread when people ask if the RC regulars are a family friendly bunch in the future. *Insert the world's biggest eye-roll*

One trip to the RCL website to book a cruise will confirm that RCL is no longer the cruise line many of the "regulars" should be using based on their preferences.

I believe however, and this is just my personal view and not backed by any definitive research, that the wallets of the "regulars" in this category win out over their preference to book a child free cruise. 🤣

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

What is so bad about wanting to be able to enjoy your vacation around well behaved children that were raised by good parents versus having to be around self centered parents who take a vacation from parenting while they're on vacation and also then have to deal with their unruly kids?

Seen and not heard, amirite?

I am kind of sad for you... There's nothing quite like sharing in the unbridled joy and wonder of a child. My son has been so excited for cruising. He loves watching videos of the water slides, and I can't wait to see him see them in person for the first time. Secretly hoping he decides his eyes were bigger than his courage, because I'm sure they're bigger than mine, but I am so looking forward to those moments with him. Also looking forward to using the kid's club and yes, taking a small break from parenting while they're there. Guess that makes me a bad parent. 

Edited by lizzius
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lizzius said:

Seen and not heard, amirite?.....Guess that makes me a bad parent. 

I don't mind hearing well behaved children playing, it's the unruly rugrats that I despise because of bad parenting.  Here's a link to a study that I just saw on Cruise Critic that says a vaccine for kids should hopefully be available by the end of the year.  Either way, since you're not cruising again till the summer of 2022, you have no skin in the game regarding whether or not kids will need to be vaccinated for the first 6-8 months once cruising resumes.

https://www.connecticutchildrens.org/coronavirus/when-will-the-covid-19-vaccine-be-available-for-kids-and-will-it-be-safe-for-your-family/

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I don't mind hearing well behaved children playing, it's the unruly rugrats that I despise because of bad parenting.  Here's a link to a study that I just saw on Cruise Critic that says a vaccine for kids should hopefully be available by the end of the year.  Either way, since you're not cruising again till the summer of 2022, you have no skin in the game regarding whether or not kids will need to be vaccinated for the first 6-8 months once cruising resumes.

https://www.connecticutchildrens.org/coronavirus/when-will-the-covid-19-vaccine-be-available-for-kids-and-will-it-be-safe-for-your-family/

Studies for pediatric vaccines won't be fast tracked like the adult version since 1) dosing requirements will be much more variable, 2) They want more long term safety data and 3) it's hard to get people enrolled in pediatric trials.

It'll be mid-2022 at least before there's any pediatric vaccine, especially pre-adolescent kids.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Studies for pediatric vaccines won't be fast tracked like the adult version since 1) dosing requirements will be much more variable, 2) They want more long term safety data and 3) it's hard to get people enrolled in pediatric trials.

It'll be mid-2022 at least before there's any pediatric vaccine, especially pre-adolescent kids.

Then that means I won't be able to take my grandson on a cruise until next year if vaccines are required for all passengers.  And you know what - if that's what it takes to get cruising back up and running, then I'm 100% in.  There are plenty of other vacation options out there for families with kids.

But as someone else mentioned - it won't be up of any of us to determine what the protocols will be, so while we can all have opinions - at the end of the day they really won't matter.

27 minutes ago, mek said:

Then that means I won't be able to take my grandson on a cruise until next year if vaccines are required for all passengers.  And you know what - if that's what it takes to get cruising back up and running, then I'm 100% in.  There are plenty of other vacation options out there for families with kids.

But as someone else mentioned - it won't be up of any of us to determine what the protocols will be, so while we can all have opinions - at the end of the day they really won't matter.

We have an extended family (including 4 kids under 9) cruise from an original date of May 2020 cancelled by RCI then booked for May 2021 then L/S that to late April 2022. Hoping we'll be able to cruise or given the option to move that to 2023 if kids can't cruise until vaccinated. I have a great price including KSF and want to price protect.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

End of 2021, mid 2022, makes no difference to me.  If the mass market lines say that everyone needs to be vaccinated,  then my next few cruises will be kid free.  If it's vaccinations for adults only, then it's status quo and kids will be on board.  I'm not losing sleep over it either way. 

5 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I would highly recommend finding a cruise line that doesn’t have waterslides, rock climbing walls, ice-skating rinks, etc. Royal is not the line for you.

Have you honestly considered Holland America or Princess? You may be very pleasantly surprised.

The mister and I actually sailed HAL before we got into the child-rearing business after someone recommended it for Alaska... It was awesome. Definitely a different vibe. Not our first choice, because I personally like all the hustle and bustle and the family vibe on Royal, but I would do it again under the right circumstances. 

Saw exactly zero kids on board, and the kids club looked like a library. They're definitely not trying to appeal to families.

42 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I would highly recommend finding a cruise line that doesn’t have waterslides, rock climbing walls, ice-skating rinks, etc. Royal is not the line for you.

Have you honestly considered Holland America or Princess? You may be very pleasantly surprised.

In terms of kids, Princess has been my worst experience. I have sailed the most with Princess and we always sailed shoulder season when school was in session. There is nothing for them to do. They play in the elevators and run up and down the companionways.  We hardly saw the kids on an early June cruise on Anthem. The only time we ran into them was when we went to the Dog House and they were participating in the  activities offered.

I really like rccl because of entertainment but would prefer adults only type of cruise, so we just do not cruise during summer and school holidays and normally there aren’t that many and normally cheaper. Love the music charters we take on Celebrity which are adults only. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Since when does water slides, rock climbing walls and ice skating rinks have anything to do with how parents raise their kids and thus whether those kids are well behaved children or unruly rugrats?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I have no problem with hearing well behaved children and I don't know anything about whether you're a good or bad parent, but if you say so....

You really are a peach. First calling someone an idiot, and then making a second reply to this comment just to say that.

Edited by lizzius
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Since you have been on a total of 11 cruises, 9 on Royal and 2 on NCL, please enlighten me about your first hand experience on HAL or Princess that I should be pleasantly surprised about?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lizzius said:

You really are a peach. First calling someone an idiot, and then making a second reply to this comment just to say that.

Thought I was "camping" someone an idiot.....LOL, nice edit.

Here's my edit....you started the personal nonsense with your comment at the end of post #74 that the mods did not erase.  Posters have been put on the sidelines for lessor offenses.

Edited by SNJCruisers

10 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

End of 2021, mid 2022, makes no difference to me.  If the mass market lines say that everyone needs to be vaccinated,  then my next few cruises will be kid free.  If it's vaccinations for adults only, then it's status quo and kids will be on board.  I'm not losing sleep over it either way. 

Depending on your definition of "kids",  your kid-free cruise bubble may be brief.  "Kids" over 12 may be vaccinated fairly soon, it's the under 12 "kids" that may take a year or two longer.  The under 12 age bracket likely will not get an EUA for the vaccine because the risk to this age group is low low.

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The moderators cleaned quite a bit here since last night.  It is unfortunate that sleeping dog wasn’t left to lie. 

True but if every topic wasn’t rehashed on CC there would be a 10% of the content.

Look back over the last 12 months - will this sail, will this be cancelled, masks are bad, masks are good, vaccines are good, vaccines are bad, L&S, politics, etc, etc 

8 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

True but if every topic wasn’t rehashed on CC there would be a 10% of the content.

I was referencing the personal attacks, on the page previous.  It was nothing to do with the rehashed topics. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

The moderators cleaned quite a bit here since last night.  It is unfortunate that sleeping dog wasn’t left to lie. 

It think we are only in round 5 of a 12 round boxing match. 

Stay tuned, this conversation has been stuck in a loop the last few pages. 

Edited by HBE4

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It think we are only in round 5 of a 12 round boxing match. 

Stay tuned, this conversation has been stuck in a loop the last few pages. 

She's going to have to find another Huckleberry.

I do wonder if anyone has made final payment just to get the option to lift and shift a cancellation and keep a promo like ksf, especially since it seems unlikely it will be back soon. Hopefully we don't have to consider that... I'd imagine if they do enact a vaccine requirement they'll have to be pretty generous with refunds and reservation changes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lizzius said:

She's going to have to find another Huckleberry.

I do wonder if anyone has made final payment just to get the option to lift and shift a cancellation and keep a promo like ksf, especially since it seems unlikely it will be back soon. Hopefully we don't have to consider that... I'd imagine if they do enact a vaccine requirement they'll have to be pretty generous with refunds and reservation changes. 

And the same will have to happen to anyone who gets bumped off a cruise because of capacity limitations, or those who suddenly have a 7 night cruise turn into a 3 or 4 nighter.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mek said:

And the same will have to happen to anyone who gets bumped off a cruise because of capacity limitations

From what I see there really aren't any cruises that are close to capacity restrictions.  Once sailings are set to resume it will be easy enough for Royal to limit bookings but for now there is no need

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1