Odyssey Rome inaugural season moved to Israel

5 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Yeah, it's just too vague to know for sure. Either way there will be some people not happy with the final decision. If Royal's policy is no kids for awhile I will accept it and take my deposit refund for our Feb 2022 Odyssey Cruise and take a different type of family vacation. If we have a good time on future hypothetical family vacation will we return to cruising as a family is the question......maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. Heck, still too soon to tell if we'll even be vacationing in Feb 2022 at all.....I am optimistic that we will be though. 

Same! Where we live, flights to the caribbean are cheap, and international airlines so far have made carve-outs for kids in their suggested policies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pstone1 said:

I wondered the same.  Any Odyssey sailing or any sailing, no matter the ship?

So I have just spoken to an agent about the 'Additional Flexibility' L&S options for my cancelled May 21st cruise. Even though the email clearly says 'any open sailing' he is saying that it still has to be within the original 4 week window in 2022 and depart from the same port. The 'Additional flexibility' refers to being able to change sailing date +1/-1. Original L&S T&C's still apply.

I do think the wording on the email (below) is very misleading...

• Option 2: Additional flexibility Lift & Shift Option + a special inaugural $100 Onboard Credit USD per stateroom 
    • If you prefer to change to any sailing with a similar sailing length (+1/-1 day) in 2022 - we’re happy to move you to a like for like category on any open sailing! We will price protect your original cruise or refund any price difference. And, you’ll receive a special inaugural $100 Onboard Credit USD per stateroom to use anywhere onboard, or precruise.

27 minutes ago, 38anchor said:

So I have just spoken to an agent about the 'Additional Flexibility' L&S options for my cancelled May 21st cruise. Even though the email clearly says 'any open sailing' he is saying that it still has to be within the original 4 week window in 2022 and depart from the same port. The 'Additional flexibility' refers to being able to change sailing date +1/-1. Original L&S T&C's still apply.

I do think the wording on the email (below) is very misleading...

• Option 2: Additional flexibility Lift & Shift Option + a special inaugural $100 Onboard Credit USD per stateroom 
    • If you prefer to change to any sailing with a similar sailing length (+1/-1 day) in 2022 - we’re happy to move you to a like for like category on any open sailing! We will price protect your original cruise or refund any price difference. And, you’ll receive a special inaugural $100 Onboard Credit USD per stateroom to use anywhere onboard, or precruise.

The wording is clear as crystal, although it may not say what they meant/wanted it to say. If that's the case I imagine it will be updated before too long.

In the meantime, could you call back and speak to a different agent? Or wait a day or two? This is breaking news so it's a fairly safe bet that not all (not many even?) of the agents are fully up to speed on it yet.

I hope you manage to get something sorted out.

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

I'm guessing that the above line from the press release means no decision yet on the usual protocols - capacity restrictions, social distance, masks, etc, etc, yada, yada?

And on what is allowed in port. Unlike the Singapore cruises - which are cruises to nowhere - the press announcement mentions 5 different ports in Greece and Cyprus. I wouldn't think those countries will want thousands of guests wandering around and foresee a similar set-up to that on recent MSC cruises whereby you can only leave the ship on an organised tour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

If successful it's yet another reference point for the CDC to consider for application here in the US.

It's also opportunity for Royal to fine tune lessons learned in Singapore and learning how to work with a different government in a partnership to a successful outcome.

Every opportunity to sail with guests anywhere helps us all in the bigger picture of a global restart.  

I agree. I'm glad Israel has a chance to be part of this restart.  Good for them!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bhoffman said:

I’m sorry, I’m sure I missed it somewhere but is there a place to see all of our options if our cruise was cancelled? Thanks! 

51 minutes ago, bhoffman said:

I’m sorry, I’m sure I missed it somewhere but is there a place to see all of our options if our cruise was cancelled? Thanks! 

Never mind I found it!

I've just lifted and shifted my cancelled Odyssey 7 night 13th June 2021 cruise to an Odyssey 8 night 26th June 2022 cruise with no questions asked. Apparently the re-pricing (and added 100 USD OBC) needs to be done manually and will take 2-3 days. Waiting to see how that will end up. 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bobal said:

And on what is allowed in port. Unlike the Singapore cruises - which are cruises to nowhere - the press announcement mentions 5 different ports in Greece and Cyprus. I wouldn't think those countries will want thousands of guests wandering around and foresee a similar set-up to that on recent MSC cruises whereby you can only leave the ship on an organised tour.

At least they have handled the first hurdle, which is having countries allowing them to dock there.  In fact, welcoming them.

The Greek Minister of Tourism, Mr. Haris Theoharis, supports all the efforts for the resumption of cruising in Greece and the surrounding area. He said, "We are very happy with today's announcement as our recent travel agreement with Israel is already bringing results, and more people will have the opportunity to have unique experiences in our beautiful destinations and islands."

Savvas Perdios, the Deputy Minister of Tourism for Cyprus commented, "It is an honor to be featured in Royal Caribbean's itinerary this summer, and we are delighted to welcome their newest ship to our island. Cyprus supports the cruise industry and is pleased to help the industry on its road to recovery. We are certain that guests will have a great time, both on board the ship and when visiting Cyprus, one of the most beautiful islands in the Mediterranean."

18 minutes ago, Zedinc said:

I've just lifted and shifted my cancelled Odyssey 7 night 13th June 2021 cruise to an Odyssey 8 night 26th June 2022 cruise with no questions asked. Apparently the re-pricing (and added 100 USD OBC) needs to be done manually and will take 2-3 days. Waiting to see how that will end up. 😅

Just make sure to check your new invoice. The last cruise that I did an L&S on my refundable deposit changed to non-refundable and an OBC got left off. I got it all fixed with a phone call.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just make sure to check your new invoice. The last cruise that I did an L&S on my refundable deposit changed to non-refundable and an OBC got left off. I got it all fixed with a phone call.

Yeah, definitely will double-check it once I get it. Fortunately enough we have completely different rules for deposits over here at the Nordics, so no chance of them getting that wrong (I hope). Wouldn't be surprised if the OBC happened to drop off though. 😅

2 hours ago, lizzius said:

Same! Where we live, flights to the caribbean are cheap, and international airlines so far have made carve-outs for kids in their suggested policies.

Soooooo many options. And my kids' love the beach and a full week on a pristine beach (with open bar) sounds really nice. 

1 hour ago, Bobal said:

And on what is allowed in port. ..- the press announcement mentions 5 different ports in Greece and Cyprus. I wouldn't think those countries will want thousands of guests wandering around and foresee a similar set-up to that on recent MSC cruises whereby you can only leave the ship on an organised tour.

I disagree with the bolded portion above. 

That’s the beauty of  “fully vaccinated” ships.   Ports of call will have confidence in little risk from the passengers/crew.   Passengers will have freedom ashore.    What a win-win for the passengers, and the ports of call.

Edited by BSocial
Typos
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, BSocial said:

I disagree with the bolded portion above. 

That’s the beauty of  “fully vaccinated” ships.   Ports of call will have confidence in little risk from the passengers/crew.   Passengers will have freedom ashore.    What a win-win for the passengers, and the ports of call.

Actually you may well be right. And I may well be wrong ☺

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, zjc said:

I'm not sure why but it makes me feel less valued as a customer, that I'm not good enough anymore because my country isn't a raving success story with vaccines. 

We have the highest number of people vaccinated! We just have many more people that in Israel. We will get there!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Is it really due to Israel's vaccine success? Or is that a cover story for not getting approvals/assurances from Italy to be able to start sailing in May?

Israel uses Pfizer. It is just that they have the highest % of population vaccinated now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just announced by Royal Caribbean. Instead of the inaugural season originally planned to start in May for their newest ship Odyssey of the Seas (sailing from Civitavecchia), the company will be moving the ship to home port in Haifa Israel and will offer short Med cruises to fully vaccinated Israeli citizens.

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1498/royal-caribbean-says-shalom-israel-with-odyssey-of-the-seas-debut/?fbclid=IwAR2t0gNkYHYR99aGH21YC46uPE9Y7x8xLqdd2Tfr0ujTts_lfFEWDdKBPSY

"In conjunction with Israel’s health and tourism authorities, Royal Caribbean will be the first to offer fully vaccinated sailings, where both crew and guests above the age of 16 will be vaccinated against COVID-19. Details on the additional health and safety measures to be implemented by Israel and Royal Caribbean will be announced at a later date."

The "Green Passport" is not explicitly mentioned as the "ticket to cruise" but it is referred to in the larger press release.

Interesting. Seems we are inching closer to a vaccine passport in order to sail (as per several earlier posts suggested).

Edited by cruisemom42

45 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Soooooo many options. And my kids' love the beach and a full week on a pristine beach (with open bar) sounds really nice. 

Do you need to be quarantined in hotels in Canada on return?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Do you need to be quarantined in hotels in Canada on return?

Excellent question, currently you're supposed to but it costs approximately 2000 and the fine for going straight home from the airport is 820 bucks. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Just googling Haifa port, it looks more of a container port rather than a cruise port. Though common globally, it doesn't look like it's infrastructure is developed for ships of this size on a long term basis. 

Port of Haifa is interesting..... And has a lot of secrets... Outside is the cargo port. Inside there is a quite small cruise terminal for the pax. One of the berths are for cruise ships size Ncl Jade which we was onboard. A mega ship will fit. But it will be tight, because one “secret” in this port is that are many war ships her.... Security you can see is the highest in the world. The security you don’t see at first is extreme... But, the security is friendly, and do everything to rush you out of port.... And if you go to Haifa, remember to visit the big mall up in the mountain, also with security you never have seen before.

Edited by MSH from Norway
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, lizzius said:

I just watched the new video of the Hobo who runs Royal. He says "all crew and guest over 16 will be vaccinated". Sounds to me like kids will be allowed which is great. 

The Hobo part is just a joke in case someone gets their feathers in a ruffle. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
Added last part about joke
  • Haha 1

My TA was on the phone with Royal trying to find out why they had refunded items to my credit card. (I called, but they told me to contact TA - did confirm that one item was for voom package Feb trip. I had already figured out port/taxes). 
Anyways, they apologized and said the third refund was the part of my cruise fare that was not covered by FCC.  OK. They are giving us a goodwill FCC (mathematically equal to 25% of amount refunded).  As they concluded their conversation, my TA got a big, “Oh, no!” .  Royal had canceled the whole cruise while they were speaking!  Back to the drawing board!!

8 hours ago, NancyIL said:

I can’t imagine that there are enough residents of Israel interested in cruising to keep Odyssey busy for 6 months. 

Imagine 😁

The travel agents are already overwhelmed with hundreds of people asking to book, and it was published here only in the afternoon....

We don't have many options to travel (only flying out anyway), but a round trip cruise [starting and ending in Israel] was very much in demand in the last years, but absolutely no cruise line was interested 😅.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3