The Daily for Thursday Mar 04, 2021

richwmn

Today is Holy Experiment Day, Hug a GI Day, and Marching Music Day

Life is like dancing. If we have a big floor, many people will dance. Some will get angry when the rhythm changes. But life is changing all the time.

Don Miguel Ruiz

Meal suggestion for today - School-Night Sausage Stroganoff

Drink of the Day - Chocolate Bunny

Wine of the day - Van Volxem 2016 Goldberg GG Riesling (Mosel) Germany

Port of the Day - Takamatsu Japan

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/5
Westerdam Long Beach

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0304USA.thumb.png.6227029b2df0fd0f130c2b199f0dc305.png

0304Tor.thumb.png.f1522ffc8fce449eb6a2f5143093c808.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  An interesting collection of days, all of which sound quite nice.  The quote is quite thought provoking and very insightful.  The meal is also quite attractive.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Penne Primvera, and Mango and Berry Crisp, as served on MS Prinsendam March 4, 2019. 

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes04.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s brother

Cunnorl and family with exposures to Covid

Mamaofami and DH

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including lvhh

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Thai Navy rescuing 4 stranded cats

Jab appointment for Red Haired Lady

Progress for St.LouisCruisers grandson

This community for 11 ½ months

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

PS, there will be a Port Everglades sailaway today, Caribbean Princess at 5PM.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

As always an interesting collection of days to celebrate. 

A quote to ponder.

Dinner sounds good.  Looking forward to reading about the wine and drink of the day.  I heard on the radio that Cadbury is joining with a brewery to produce a Cadbury creme egg beer.  I guess that will go with the drink of the day.

Sending prayers to everyone on the care list.  Cheers to all who have something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good morning, everyone.  

We're continuing with our sunny days here in northeast Ohio.  We're going to take advantage and get in a hike this morning.  It is chilly, with a high of 34, but we don't let temperature get in the way.  We just bundle up more.  Now, rain will stop us.  

Today's quote goes well with marching music day.   I remember in grade school our "phys ed" class consisted of going down to the large hall and marching for 45 minutes to John Phillips Sousa music.  

Today's meal sounds good.  I made beef stroganoff recently and used zucchini spirals in place of the noodles to save on carbs and get more vegetables in the meal.  I suppose the same would be possible here.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/school-night-sausage-stroganoff/

School-Night-Sausage-Stroganoff_EXPS_SDAS18_213669_D03_27__3b-1.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of Days.  While I realize Holy Experiment Day references Penn, I read that you can celebrate by praying for something that probably won’t happen - so I’ll pray for Spring today to celebrate 😉 

E38372C8-B11E-49BA-8B00-4547BE8BEE9E.jpeg.2ea7ac249d5720df306fa1e6bad42b9e.jpeg

Love the quote and the meal suggestion sounds good.

The drink of the day name had me envisioning melting a chocolate Easter bunny 😂 

The vaccine news here just gets more and more frustrating for me.  I decided to deal with stuff that is upsetting me:

5FFC188B-92C0-4652-AB90-CA6BD6D43118.jpeg.1e11bc9964608199b77ed32fe68aa7dd.jpeg

And I’m going to try to do more of this:

512C4DC7-74D7-4905-BFFA-7FA6944D2594.thumb.jpeg.da47c45790ba23a7d0445f1b8bce1f30.jpeg

My excitement for the day - Marley is off at long last this morning for a very overdue grooming.  First we had to cancel because of his surgery, then we had to wait until x time had gone by after the stitches came out, then my groomer cancelled because of the severe cold and the risk to him, then I couldn’t get off the driveway because of the ice.  Looks like finally, the way is clear.  Now I just have to get the dam dog in the car 😉 Yup, life is pretty boring here 😉 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them.  And a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Thanks @rafinmd for the heads up on the Port Everglades sail a way.

Have a great Thursday everyone!  Stay safe and warm and please don’t forget your masks!

• Like 32

6 minutes ago, doobieb said:

I can’t wait to find out what a Holy Experiment is!

The purpose of the day is to try something religious. It is a day for experimenting with prayer, getting someone to consider your religion, or for trying out a new religion. When experimenting with prayer, prayers may be said for things that would seem like miracles if they occurred, as well as for things that seem more possible. The day is also for seeing what the effect the religious experiment had: were prayers successful, has someone considered changing their religion, and were you enlightened with your experiment with a new religion?

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication.  Debbie the meal looks delicious.  Interesting quote.  I've never been to Japan, DH traveled there often for work.  Toasts and prayers for our lists.  Love that the Thai sailors rescued the cats, you all know how we here feel about our cats.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Chocolate Bunny cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces crème de cacao (dark)
1/2 ounce vodka
1 teaspoon chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon cherry brandy

Steps to Make It
In a cocktail shaker, pour the crème de cacao and vodka.
Add ice and shake well.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass with fresh ice cubes.
Float the chocolate syrup and cherry brandy on top by pouring them over the back of a bar spoon.

Some chop the top of a hollow chocolate bunny and use it as the glass.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.18.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.29.34 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, richwmn said:

The purpose of the day is to try something religious. It is a day for experimenting with prayer, getting someone to consider your religion, or for trying out a new religion. When experimenting with prayer, prayers may be said for things that would seem like miracles if they occurred, as well as for things that seem more possible. The day is also for seeing what the effect the religious experiment had: were prayers successful, has someone considered changing their religion, and were you enlightened with your experiment with a new religion?

I feel quite educated now. Thanks for the tutorial. For some reason, my mind went to mischievous thoughts. Perhaps because DH is a scientist with a wicked sense of humor.  But.....the thought is challenging, isn’t it?

I feel that it is a reminder to stop and ponder deep thoughts for a good purpose. Thanks, Rich.

Everyone in our house has gotten the 2nd vaccine. Few if any side effects. We feel quite lucky to have had access and get  time a slot. Fingers crossed that everyone soon has this access. Waiting now for DD , a school counselor, to be able to get the vaccine.

• Like 22

Thanks for that interesting group of days, Rich.  Today we have a port I haven't been to yet so will be interested to see what our Dailyites have to say about it.  Hopefully pictures, too!

As usual prayers and shout-outs to our care and celebration lists.  Thanks for letting us know about a ship in Port Everglades, Roy.  

My one and only cruise scheduled for 2021 has been cancelled by Princess due to UK guidelines.  It began and ended in Southampton and included Scandinavia, Baltics and Iceland.  Late August to late September.  I will have to see if we can fit in a replacement of that cruise in 2022 because we are busy with two Grand Voyages in 2022.  From here I'd better go to Kazu's thread to let her know of our cancellation.  If my January 2022 Grand South America and Antarctica sails as scheduled it will be 23 1/2 months since our last cruise!  Yikes!!

• Like 18

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  An interesting collection of days, all of which sound quite nice.  The quote is quite thought provoking and very insightful.  The meal is also quite attractive.  My alternative is Chilled Blackberry Soup, Penne Primvera, and Mango and Berry Crisp, as served on MS Prinsendam March 4, 2019. 

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/dishes04.jpg

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH recovering from surgery and facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s brother

Cunnorl and family with exposures to Covid

Mamaofami and DH

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including lvhh

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Thai Navy rescuing 4 stranded cats

Jab appointment for Red Haired Lady

Progress for St.LouisCruisers grandson

This community for 11 ½ months

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

PS, there will be a Port Everglades sailaway today, Caribbean Princess at 5PM.

Thanks for the Heads up on the Sailaway.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for sharing, Roy.  Although I did not know your brother, I can share your grief and mourn with you for your loss.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication.  Debbie the meal looks delicious.  Interesting quote.  I've never been to Japan, DH traveled there often for work.  Toasts and prayers for our lists.  Love that the Thai sailors rescued the cats, you all know how we here feel about our cats.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Chocolate Bunny cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces crème de cacao (dark)
1/2 ounce vodka
1 teaspoon chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon cherry brandy

Steps to Make It
In a cocktail shaker, pour the crème de cacao and vodka.
Add ice and shake well.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass with fresh ice cubes.
Float the chocolate syrup and cherry brandy on top by pouring them over the back of a bar spoon.

Some chop the top of a hollow chocolate bunny and use it as the glass.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.18.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.29.34 AM.png

Wow, the chocolate will get the blood sugar up

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

That was a wonderful obituary Roy.  You must have been so proud of his many accomplishments.  What an intelligent and accomplished man he was.  My favorite was his favorite travel spots "Antarctica and South Georgia".  A man after my own heart.

• Like 12

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I think every day is a Holy Experiment day here, praying that we get our Covid shots . . . the experiment isn't working as fast as we'd hope.  I'd love to hug a GI, but we don't have any around, so I'll hug DH instead.  While we don't have any marching music, judging by the way my pants are fitting, I think it's time I marched down to the treadmill!

Of course, you had me at chocolate with the drink of the day!  An even easier version that we call the Chocolate Bunny is to tear, eat, or chop off the ears of a chocolate bunny, fill it with Bailey's, top with whipped cream and consume.

Thank you @rafinmd for sharing Roger's obituary; he sounds like he was a lovely man.  Again, I am sorry for your loss.

The menu suggestions are good - loving the blackberry soup that Roy's has - but I have a pork loin that's going into the slow cooker today.  It's time for some pulled pork sandwiches tonight.  I think I'll make a batch of buns and toast them to make the sandwiches.  Combined with a simple coleslaw will make a good dinner for us this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Clinking the glasses together tonight for all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 23

Thank you for yet another wonderful Daily, Rich! And educational. I think some of us conduct a Holy Experiment with our Care lists. Though I really do not like the idea of thinking about it as an experiment. It almost seems to trivialize it.  Does hugging retired GIs count? I have quite a few on my street. It will have to wait until everyone is vaccinated, though. I always loved marching music, especially pipe & drums!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! I really appreciate everyone sharing their stories & pictures of the port du jour! Today’s quote is deep & thought provoking! I love the drink, though might change the brandy. The meal sounds great, and Debbie, I love your carb reducing idea. I prefer my carbs in dessert, bread, or wine.

It is a bit nippier this morning, but the world was awash in the light of the rising sun, when Bindi and I did our morning walk. Even the birds were singing everywhere. And at least two big groups of migrating birds crossed our skies. It might have been three, but two groups were so close together, I believe they were part of the same group. Spring is coming everyone! Tonight I am having chicken breast stuffed with jalapeños and some type of cheese. And roasted veggies. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This dry German Riesling has excellent - superb ratings, and a decent price. I found several online distributors with a price starting around $35. The vintner noted that they “hit it out of the park “ with this vintage. 

Wine Enthusiast

Ephemeral compared with grand cru expressions from the Mosel that are increasingly stout, this finely etched dry Riesling offers invigorating lemon and yellow-plum flavors layered in smoke, flint and dusty minerals. It's lithe but silky, too, with a bracing steel edge. Tasted in 2020, it's brilliantly fresh. Should continue to improve well through 2035 and hold further still.  

• Like 23

Rich thanks for the update on the fleet.  Roy, I read your brother's obit. My prayers for the repose ofhis soul and foryou one the loss of your Brother.   My best to all my fellow DAILYITES.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Himself said:

Rich thanks for the update on the fleet.  Roy, I read your brother's obit. My prayers for the repose ofhis soul and foryou one the loss of your Brother.   My best to all my fellow DAILYITES.

Were you on the Voyage of the Vikings on Rotterdam with me and @Cruising-along?

• Like 4

Good  morning  to  all. Interesting  days ,  drinks   and  quotes.  Thank  you  Roy  for  sharing  your  brother's  obit. He  led  an  interesting  life  and  I  am  so  sorry  for  your  loss.

Like  Kazu  with  Marley today, I  spent  part  of  yesterday  getting  my  overgrown  cockapoo Fred  to  the  groomer. Dogs  are  funny-they  can  be  like  people  when  they  know  they  look  good. We  walked  around  the  neighborhood  and  he positively  pranced  with  pride  in  his appearance.

I  look  forward  to  finding  out  about  the  port.         Terry

• Like 17