The Daily for Friday Mar 05, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good one!  He's sure got his eyes on that window full of treats.

I think we were both very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time 😉

• Like 4

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Looks like our blue hulled beauty is visible on the Hilton beach cam. 
      Found some fish in the freezer for dinner tonight 
        Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

. I was told not to start planting annuals and herbs til April. I've been inspired by all of Kazu's ideas and pictures!

Good advice on waiting.

I have lots of babies started in the house.  The window sills and racks by them are full 😄 

But, they will not go outside until the risk of frost is gone (probably May here) and word  of advice, toughen them up first.  Move them outside on a nice day for a bit and back in so they get used to the stronger sunlight and weather.

That way when they do end up outdoors, they won’t go into shock.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning  and  thanks  to  all  for  the  laughs,beautiful  pictures,collection  of  days  and a lovely  port. I  will  pass  on  the  recipe  today as  I  am  making  enchildas  for  dinner  tonight   with  beans  and  cheese. It  is  a  sunny  but  chilly  day  here. There  are  no  signs  of  spring  yet  other  than  the  snow  piles  have  mostly  melted.

Oslo  looks  like  a  beautiful  place. I  am  a  serious  Jo Nesbo  fan   and would  have  looked  up Harry  Hole's  apartment  as  well. The  writing  is  so  vivid, I  can  almost  picture Harry  inside. What  fun!

Terry

• Like 19

Thanks to all who continue to contribute to this thread.  I have been to Oslo a number times while visiting the fjords on QM2.  Nice city.  DH got his first shot of Pfizer yesterday.  I am still trying to get an appointment.  Dinner tonight - Olive Garden lasagna and their great salad.  All take out.  Katherine

• Like 20

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily!

We had Poutiine in Quebec City....we like "livin' like locals" so will try almost anything.🤓

Oslo was part of the Baltic experience and just did the 🚌 Hop On Hop Off bus. Enjoyed Vigeland Sculpture Park, the Kon-Tiki Museum and other sites. Yes, Scandinavia is rather pricey. I flipped out when I saw the price of the coffee latte.🤪

🙏 Prayers and enjoy the weekend!

FB_IMG_1614952980104.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 5

Thanks Rich for the daily and the welcome back from Roy. Today I winterize the travel trailer and put it in the barn. We have been threatened with snow so want to endure the wind to get it done. 

Spoke to my PCC and he says I hold the record for most cruises canceled of any of his clients. 

• Like 19

I'm enjoying the Oslo information greatly.   We are scheduled to visit Oslo this September if our cruise sails.  If not this September, next June.  We'll get there if we have to swim!

The Maple Leaf does sound a bit sweet for me.  I think I'd try with less maple syrup and see how it goes.  

• Like 14

Oslo is an excellent port, starting with the view of the fortress at the dock. Much more attractive than many docking locations. The Norsk Folkmuseum was an interesting collection of buildings from all over Norway showing how Norwegians have lived over the centuries. 

• Like 13

Grilled ham steak along with Costco mac & cheese and green beans is on the menu tonight. Our son (Niall) is stopping by tomorrow to enjoy burgers on the grill, sunshine, and (possibly) 50F temperatures! Maybe cocktails too....

Today in 2005 marked the end of our Oosterdam Mexican Riviera cruise celebrating Mitzi's retirement from Medtronic. 

Sailing back to San Diego on March 4 -

DSC02911.thumb.JPG.592b488690e6c7aea0125a60a9d7d5a7.JPG

Sunrise at the port, the town looks a little sleepy!

DSC02916.thumb.JPG.6afcf301e3d8c7866fb66e534cb2bd17.JPG1681928115_DSC02917(2).thumb.JPG.d35dfe4202d349ac6da2ebcff1bf229b.JPGDSC02918.thumb.JPG.bca51732aac98f893376c2a9dca5232a.JPG

• Like 24

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting set of days.

It's sunny but cold here; we had flurries yesterday. However warming up over the weekend.

I think the Bourbon Maple Leaf drink would be good hot.

I'm batting zero on ports so far. I've never been to Norway. I'll check out all the pics that are posted.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. Even if PA said I didn't have to wear one, I still would, for now.

• Like 19

🌺

GOOD MORNING ALL! HAPPY  FRIDAY 

TO MY CC FAMILY AND MAY THIS BE A GREAT WEEKEND START TO ALL!

I CAN NOT BELIEVE I SENT MY WRITING IN AND IT DELETED IT ALL😂!

🌺SHOOT!! FIRST I PRAY OUR DEAR FRIEND IN NEW ZEALAND IS DOING FINE !! EREWHON IS SUCH A GREAT CONTRIBUTOR AND IT IS JUST SAD 

WITH THE EARTHQUAKE. 🌴🌴WE GOT A CALL FROM OUR NEIGHBOR THAT THE TSUNAMI WAS CANCELLED AROUND 4:35 YESTERDAY. 
🌺🌺

THANK YOU RICH FOR THE COLLECTION OF DAYS!  I REMEMBER SURPRISING MY WONDERFUL STAFF WITH A LIMO

THAT CAME TO MY PRACTICE AND I HAD LUNCH RESERVATIONS FOR THEM, AND GIFTS. I MADE UP SCHEDULES FOR THE DAY PULLED CHARTS SO THEY THOUGHT WORK WAS NORMAL👍👍 IT WAS SUCH A JOY!  I WOULD NOT HAVE HAD SUCH A GREAT PRACTICE WITHOUT THEM!

🌺🌺JOY, MAMA HUMMINGBIRD IS DOING WELL!!  CHECKED THIS AM AND SHE WAS IT LOOKED LIKE FEEDING ONE! THEY ARE SO TINY TO SEE YET!  SHE LEAVES THE NEST ALOT AND RETURNS WITH FOOD FOR THEM OR FOR HERSELF!

🌺🌺

GOING TO TAKE A DRIVE ON 101 TO LONG BEACH TODAY JUST TO SEE THE ZUIDERDAM IN PORT! WILL STOP  IN LAGUNA BEACH FOR LUNCH. I HAVE NOT BEEN TO MY OLD STOPPING GROUNDS FOR EVER! BORN AND RAISED THERE EVEN DAVID! 
🌺🌺HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY ALL

Denise😊

• Like 21

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich, Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies!😀  And now to the port people, too - I haven't been to any of the three ports so far, but maybe one day.  My cousin who is with the US State Department had a stint in Oslo and kept inviting us to visit her there, but we never made it, and she moved on to other places.

I took the same photo as Roy of the monkeys on the Prinsendam March 5, 2019!

IMG_8823.thumb.JPG.94881dbb538fb9164ab87e3ea5e92abf.JPG

• Like 22

Good morning all!

I'll pass on the Poutine, but when our son discovered it on business trips to Montreal he fell in love with it.  Will pass on the dinner suggestion too, not a fan of cabbage.  Lamb chops always sound good though! Last night we had the pork chops with balsamic vinaigrette, recipe from a few days ago -- it was very good!  No idea yet what will be for dinner tonight.

I can't believe I haven't been to Oslo.  Have been on several northern European and Baltic cruises, stopped at many ports in Norway, but never Oslo.  It isn't even on the itinerary for my next July Northern Europe cruise. 😞  

Have a great day everyone, stay healthy and safe!

• Like 18

Thanks to Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies. 

My sun is gone and back to rain.  Still not too windy for a walk.

I enjoyed going to L&L Hawaiian Barbecue when we lived in Denver when a couple of my business colleagues would come to town. (L&L is all over the US; I even have one near where we have to go to the doctor later and could pick some up- YEAH!)  Kalua pig has to do with how it is prepared rather than the ingredients. (And yes, the first time I had it I too thought there should have been some Kahlua in the pork.)  Here's a little history.  https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/usa/hawaii/articles/a-brief-history-of-hawaiis-famous-kalua-pork-dish/

Loving all the pics and info on Oslo as our Baltic cruise didn't stop there.

Prayers to all who need them and best wishes to all.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I can't believe I haven't been to Oslo.  Have been on several northern European and Baltic cruises, stopped at many ports in Norway, but never Oslo.  It isn't even on the itinerary for my next July Northern Europe cruise. 😞  

Me too.  Several Norway ports on my 2011 North Cape Prinsendam cruise and Stockholm and Helsinki on my 2015 Prinsendam Baltic cruise but never Oslo.

Roy

• Like 8

Good morning. I was up early but no breakfast for me or the dogs since Hunter has his vet appointment for dental and removal of the growth from his tail. After dropping him off Bandit (Shih Tzu) and I returned home for sustenance. I am going to treat Bandit to a long walk later this morning since he had to wait for his meal. I hate to think was the vet bill is going to be.... but Hunter's teeth needed doing.

Clear here. Temps are supposed to be in the mid-50's. We are in a sort of roller coaster season. Yesterdays snow did not stick even though it stayed pretty cold. I am watching my Iris beds carefully since I need to repair some snowplow damage but everything is still pretty frozen.

I have only been to Oslo once and would love to go back. On that trip I met up with some friends and we did a lot of sight seeing. I would be nice to see them again too.

Susan

• Like 18

Good morning, all! Poutine is the winner of the day’s selections for me today. The slow cooker pork and cabbage sounds like a plan! The drink sounds good, but I’d like to try it with Canadian Club Rye rather than bourbon.

DH is waiting for me to head out the door, so I wish you all a Happy Friday and I’m gone!

78753072-93DC-4912-8ED6-A43EF857E018.thumb.jpeg.dc76f283f595223d6e7befd12e1d81c3.jpeg

• Like 20

I am so sorry that I didn't discover the Daily 11 1/2 months ago when it first started.  Even though I don't post often, I so enjoy all the recipes, comments and pictures.  The Port of the Day is becoming a favorite of mine.  The thing that I find most significant is the caring that is displayed by all of the posters. It shows that we are never alone.

Stay Safe, Everyone!

• Like 24

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

What a selection of days to celebrate!  

I didn't think I would ever warm up again.  Our sunny day yesterday turned overcast, the wind picked up and we had snow pellets coming down.  We had driven out to an orchard, parked the car and then walked back into town along the river and had lunch.  After lunch we walked back to the car, about 6 miles round trip.  The trip back to the car wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  We were both dreading it, but found it went much quicker than the walk to town.   I guess because we weren't exploring.   Oh, but it was cold!

I am interested in hearing all about today's drink.  I've seen it as the drink of the day on a Canada/New England itinerary, but never knew what it was.   Also, yesterday's wine sounds like something I'd really like.  

Today's meal has great reviews although it sounds a bit bland to me.  I'd probably want a little more seasoning in it.  But, it is easy to do.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-kalua-pork-cabbage/

Kalua Pork and Cabbage.jpg

Good morning and thanks all!  LOVE Kalua pork,  it’s not bland at all,  in Hawaii they cook it in the Imu, the underground  oven wrapped in ti leaves!  So Delish! 

We thoroughly enjoyed Oslo,  especially Vigeland  park!  We were told the sculptor literally took candy away!   But bring cash,  Norway is one of the most expensive places we have visited! 

also visit Vasa,  an amazing Viking war ship.  
image.thumb.jpeg.44e1f79c4b0cb9adbd32f1bc1a9f75bb.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23

Giggling on the Canadian content,  poutine.,   On our news last night there is a Canadian uproar because the New York Times messed with the recipe for Nanaimo bars.  

These are the 2020 of Nanaimo bars': Canadians cannot get over the New York Times version of this Vancouver Island treat

The ratio. THE RATIO‼️
about 23 hours ago By:  Brendan Kergin
Updated 22 minutes ago
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
NYTCooking_NanaimoBars

• Like 20