The Daily for Monday Mar 08, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, all!  Thanks to Rich and Roy, especially Roy for including Victor's wife on the care list - I will let you know if he posts how she is doing.  I do wonder if they have all the new drugs/treatments for Covid in Belarus...

We visited Hammerfest on Eurodam in 2013.  We had stopped in Honingsvag, and had our Midnight Sun on the way back to Hammerfest.  We saw pretty much the same as the others, the church, built with a really steep roof, practical in the snow! All the stories we heard in the northern ports were about the terrible times during WW2.  

Midnight sun between Honingsvag and Hammerfest, the first photo is 11:59 and the second 12:01, I missed out on the exact second, but the sun barely touched down on the horizon before it turned around and came back up!

P1040802.thumb.JPG.323fab381b835b36c907d553bf01528f.JPG

P1030142.thumb.JPG.4c968fa34693739ba08e1da1db623f86.JPG

We wandered around Hammerfest on our own, did not climb the hill, but enjoyed the pretty town and port.  A few photos:

P1030205.thumb.JPG.f21106dee8837a6009c442cc74ab3027.JPG

562306863_P10408422.thumb.JPG.865a20a0beeae310eea705f83e05d154.JPG

A liquid natural gas container ship in port.

P1040810.thumb.JPG.50da2b25c9fc5a8096419d2319027a5f.JPG

P1030167.thumb.JPG.b735c1a806e8a63817984b30aa220b16.JPG

• Like 29

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Celebrating Women is a good thing! Happy Commonwealth Day. Just say NO to Be Nasty Day!

Still batting zero on the ports visited.

Congrats to those getting 2nd shots.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. I hope those spring breakers don't spread the virus around the country!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, kazu said:

It didn’t just happen with the Prinsendam - happened to N Amsterdam.  When we were in Monaco, Prinsendam was docked and N Amsterdam at tender.  N Amsterdam coudn’t hold and had to leave.

All the N Amsterdam passengers that were on shore returned to the Prinsendam (talk about a full ship 😉 ) until the N Amsterdam could safely return and then they were tendered back to the N Amsterdam.

That must have been quite a day.  On my transatlantic we were supposed to share Half Moon Cay with N Amsterdam.  We had to skip the port because our anchor wouldn't hold us but N Amsterdam with her azipods and dynamic positioning system was able to get ashore.  Different conditions and opposite results.

Roy

• Like 12

Good afternoon! I might have to observe Be Nasty day if our power doesn't come back on soon! On a clear & sunny day with no wind, it went out over 4 hours ago. We live in an all-electric house so, other than the gas logs in the fireplace,  nothing works! So much for chores -- I guess I'll just have to sit & read!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

That must have been quite a day.  On my transatlantic we were supposed to share Half Moon Cay with N Amsterdam.  We had to skip the port because our anchor wouldn't hold us but N Amsterdam with her azipods and dynamic positioning system was able to get ashore.  Different conditions and opposite results.

Roy

It was quite the day, believe me.  The Prinsendam staff were out full force to take care of the NA passengers and were doing a phenomenal job despite all the griping by the NA passengers.  

Many of them had SBP and they were upset that the cards couldn’t be used on the Prinsendam (of course most know they can only be used in the bars on the ship they are associated with - sheesh) and with the size of the ship and the munchies and Lido that the Prinsendam kindly opened for them.  Sheesh.  The ship is not very big to accommodate all those extra passengers.   

They were treated very well and a number of them did not have any appreciation at all and treated the staff very badly.

Frankly, we were glad when the curmudgeons got off. 😉  (I suspect the staff were relieved too, but of course would not say so).

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Good afternoon! I might have to observe Be Nasty day if our power doesn't come back on soon! On a clear & sunny day with no wind, it went out over 4 hours ago. We live in an all-electric house so, other than the gas logs in the fireplace,  nothing works! So much for chores -- I guess I'll just have to sit & read!!

Yikes, I hope you get your power back ASAP 🤞 Wonder if a transporter blew?

• Like 4

Just now, kazu said:

It was quite the day, believe me.  The Prinsendam staff were out full force to take care of the NA passengers and were doing a phenomenal job despite all the griping by the NA passengers.  

Many of them had SBP and they were upset that the cards couldn’t be used on the Prinsendam (of course most know they can only be used in the bars on the ship they are associated with - sheesh) and with the size of the ship and the munchies and Lido that the Prinsendam kindly opened for them.  Sheesh.  The ship is not very big to accommodate all those extra passengers.   

They were treated very well and a number of them did not have any appreciation at all and treated the staff very badly.

Frankly, we were glad when the curmudgeons got off. 😉  (I suspect the staff were relieved too, but of course would not say so).

It must have been "Be Nasty" Day!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Thinking about you and your CT tomorrow. And I would love your pineapple ham. Easter is April 5th and I am looking forward to having a Honey Baked Ham. 

The nasty about today are the clouds. We are so spoiled here with the sunshine that even one cloudy day feels dreary. 

I will celebrate International Women’s Day and Commonwealth Day. I’m passing on the meal suggestion, we had pasta last night. Not sure what we will have, I’ll check the freezer for inspiration. 

Yesterday’s lamb was wonderful:

12689742-F22D-4165-A79B-1003E918DC9F.thumb.jpeg.279184a4835daefc3bed98cc69577988.jpeg

6F73C95C-6383-454D-872A-9BA16F6D0CE7.thumb.jpeg.1813cbcc3f35e561dae64a9f6e5f49b3.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Forgot to mention that we have not been to today’s port. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 20

18 minutes ago, NextOne said:

That's awful.  As beautiful as the weather is today in Maryland, that should not be happening.  Are you close enough to visit DH?

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Midnight sun between Honingsvag and Hammerfest, the first photo is 11:59 and the second 12:01, I missed out on the exact second, but the sun barely touched down on the horizon before it turned around and came back up!

Sunset and sunrise in 3 seconds!  Beautiful pictures!!

• Like 9

I'm ignoring Be Nasty day but I really can get behind Women's Day. Just a couple of weeks ago was the day for celebrating women in STEM and I have worked with a lot of outstanding and dedicated women in that area who certainly were great role models. Another big role model for me was my grandmother who loved travel and instilled a love of it to her daughter and two grand-daughters as well.

The pasta dish works for me; I love blue cheese (especially gorgonzola) with pasta. The drink sounds like one for a nice hot day, I will keep it in mind.

We are entering the best time of year here (near Atlanta), the days are pleasant albeit with a chilly start and getting longer. And no bugs yet. We usually have until around Mother's Day before the mosquitos are out in force. Good time for walks and for getting the yard ready for spring.

Hammerfest -- now doesn't that sound like a name for a summer hard rock festival?  However, the photos posted by @StLouisCruisers and @Vict0riann show a charming northern coastal town. The Kong Harald is one of the Hurtigruten ferries that goes up and down the Norwegian coast -- they take passengers for one-way or round-trip bookings but also provide a lifeline for local communities with local deliveries, mail, and short-hop ferry service from place to place. I had planned to do their Norwegian Coastal round-trip about 4 years ago when another (once in a lifetime) opportunity arose, so I put it off. But it remains pretty high on my list.... I would like to go in late winter and hopefully see the northern lights.

Cheers to all. Still no word on vaccines for my age group in GA. Patience is a virtue I am trying to cultivate...

• Like 19

I will try not to celebrate be Nasty Day!  If I can get my walk in before the rain it will be a happy day for me.  Other 2 days are well worth noting.  Thank you for all the pictures of Hammerfest.  We did the walk up to the top of the hill and enjoyed seeing the town.  It was a very good port to do on our own.  

Congrats to all who are getting vaccines.  Meal of the day looks interesting but we are having salmon.  Thanks, Rich and Roy for all your hard work and information.  

Have a great day everyone.  Stay safe and keep wearing those masks.  

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

I would have been thankful to be taken care of and enjoyed seeing a beautiful ship. I just don’t understand how people can be so disagreeable. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Are we sure it isn't break your glasses day?  My pair have been having issues with the frame and were falling off my face if I looked straight down.  Tightening the little screw didn't help.  The frames are lightweight and after 6 years were worn out.  I picked them up off the vanity this morning and the arm just fell right off the glasses.  Now I am wearing my older prescription glasses and having a little trouble reading.  I tried making an appointment last week at the eye doctor but the woman who I spoke with about an appointment was pretty rude and indifferent to me.  This was after I had left an early morning message for someone to call back about an appointment, and no one ever called me back.  I'm thinking I'd better find a new eye doctor today and get an appointment ASAP.  👁️😎

I suggest you try Costco.  I have been very satisfied with their optical department.  Last week I lost a screw on my glasses.  Walked up to their counter and they were happy to replace it on the spot at no charge.

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

That's awful.  As beautiful as the weather is today in Maryland, that should not be happening.  Are you close enough to visit DH?

Roy

Glad to report that the power came back on an hour later, so I didn't have to get nasty. It's all good!

Roy - DH is in Takoma Park,  close enough to visit if I was allowed. But their covid restrictions are still in place, so I can't get in. However,  he has a status visit at the surgeon's office in Columbia on Thursday and I get to participate! I hope they don't quarantine him again at the hospital when he gets back! 

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 14

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

BTW, did anyone watch the sail-away of our lovely Nieuw Statendam from FLL yesterday afternoon?  It was wonderful seeing that blue-hulled beauty on the screen again! 

I thought I had missed it but someone (I think it was Roy) posted that I didn’t. But.......... I was so sleepy after the wonderful lamb chops, potatoes, asparagus and wine that I fell asleep before she came into view. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, dfish said:

Second jab done!  Pedicure in two weeks!

I get my 2nd one the end of this week.......first stop for me is a badly needed haircut! My piggies are all covered up under socks and shoes anyway.

Good luck tomorrow Roy.

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Yikes, I hope you get your power back ASAP 🤞 Wonder if a transporter blew?

If it was the Transporter, I’m sure Scotty will fix it shortly. 😁 The big question is whether travel via Transporter is being allowed during Covid.

(I guess that would be the ultimate in the Appliance Blight we had a while ago on this Board.)

Gotta love spellcheck 😉

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 7
  • Haha 11

18 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

If it was the Transporter, I’m sure Scotty will fix it shortly. 😁 The big question is whether travel via Transporter is being allowed during Covid.

(I guess that would be the ultimate in the Appliance Blight we had a while ago on this Board.)

Gotta love spellcheck 😉

LOL - you got me 😂. I did mean transformer.  OMG.  

Love your analogy 🙂 Glad she got her power back though.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Checking in late, thanks All!   So enjoying the port feature,  we’ve enjoyed Norway but not been to that port. 
Yes to two of the three days!   Darn I missed THE interview!  

All the best tomorrow Ray! 

We had an amazing experience last evening,  two great horned owls were serenading each other for nearly an hour outside our home,  spring is definitely in the air! 

5D938159-A48B-4A7E-A272-BEC289BEE13D.jpeg

• Like 20

36 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Checking in late, thanks All!   So enjoying the port feature,  we’ve enjoyed Norway but not been to that port. 
Yes to two of the three days!   Darn I missed THE interview!  

All the best tomorrow Ray! 

We had an amazing experience last evening,  two great horned owls were serenading each other for nearly an hour outside our home,  spring is definitely in the air! 

5D938159-A48B-4A7E-A272-BEC289BEE13D.jpeg

Beautiful bird.

• Like 8