If Vaccinated we should sail

cruzsnooze

2 hours ago, Grego said:

More time wasted on discussing what we don't know anything about for sure.  I will spend my time thinking that we will be cruising again this year and preparing for that event.......hopefully our May 15th booking.  We are vaccinated and there was an announcement of a cure drug that has been tested so let's get the show on the water.

re that 5/15 booking - are you gonna make the final payment due in 6 days or so ??

3 hours ago, Grego said:

More time wasted on discussing what we don't know anything about for sure.  I will spend my time thinking that we will be cruising again this year and preparing for that event.......hopefully our May 15th booking.  We are vaccinated and there was an announcement of a cure drug that has been tested so let's get the show on the water.

Unfortunately just because people think it does not make it true.....if we were out of the woods the cruise lines would have things raring to go and none of them seem to be doing that yet.....I really doubt that it will happen this year....even though many states are ready to let their guard down in the US many other countries are not willing to take the risks associated with that.....make that final payment though and believe on!!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Unfortunately just because people think it does not make it true.....if we were out of the woods the cruise lines would have things raring to go and none of them seem to be doing that yet.....I really doubt that it will happen this year....even though many states are ready to let their guard down in the US many other countries are not willing to take the risks associated with that.....make that final payment though and believe on!!!

Well here in the UK, the Government has announced today cruising around the UK can resume from 17 May if our current road map doesn't deviate between now and then!

Both Princess and P&O will announce itineraries later this month.

Costa and MSC have ships sailing from Italy and AIDA are sailing around the Canary islands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm missing something here...so please provide the answers.  If the vaccine does not keep you from catching the virus, but only keeps you from getting deathly ill and dying, what is the concern about others being vaccinated?  I've had the vaccine...I feel pretty safe that I won't die if I catch the virus...so I don't care if you get vaccinated or not.  If you don't, it's your life you may be risking.  

Assuming the above to be a true depiction of how the vaccine works, what is the advantage of requiring everyone to be vaccinated??  It won't stop the spread.  It won't increase your risk if you've been vaccinated.  Just curious where the logic is that says everyone being vaccinated is somehow the magic elixir.  Thanks in advance for any and all factual responses. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Maybe I'm missing something here...so please provide the answers.  If the vaccine does not keep you from catching the virus, but only keeps you from getting deathly ill and dying, what is the concern about others being vaccinated?  I've had the vaccine...I feel pretty safe that I won't die if I catch the virus...so I don't care if you get vaccinated or not.  If you don't, it's your life you may be risking.  

Assuming the above to be a true depiction of how the vaccine works, what is the advantage of requiring everyone to be vaccinated??  It won't stop the spread.  It won't increase your risk if you've been vaccinated.  Just curious where the logic is that says everyone being vaccinated is somehow the magic elixir.  Thanks in advance for any and all factual responses. 

Because if an unvaccinated person catches the virus and gets deathly ill on board ship the cruise line may never recover 

Edited by memoak
Typo
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, memoak said:

Because if an unvaccinated person catches the virus and gets deathly ill on board ship the cruise line may never recover 

but not really

because "if" that "outbreak" occurs when cruising returns - the cruise line(s) will have specific policies and procedures already in place to address the situation both on board and in ports as required by the CDC return to cruising guidelines or whatever it is called or will be called

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Assuming the above to be a true depiction of how the vaccine works, what is the advantage of requiring everyone to be vaccinated??  It won't stop the spread.

We still don't know what the viral load will be with someone that gets covid after both vaccinations (already reports of this https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210308/reports-of-break-through-covid-cases-after-vaccine).

Hope is that if a vaccinated person contracts covid 19 their viral load will be so small that it would difficult to pass it on to others. 

We are all waiting for this important data.

Cheers, John 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, voljeep said:

but not really

because "if" that "outbreak" occurs when cruising returns - the cruise line(s) will have specific policies and procedures already in place to address the situation both on board and in ports as required by the CDC return to cruising guidelines or whatever it is called or will be called

Thanks for that input.  Gives one a few options to think about.  It will be interesting to see what road the cruise lines travel down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Both Princess and P&O will announce itineraries later this month.

I'm amused by the thought of itineraries being released. The cruises are not going to be stopping at any ports, so I assume the itineraries will be "Sail west into the Atlantic for 3 days,  turn round and return to Southampton"

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

what is the advantage of requiring everyone to be vaccinated?? 

The big advantage of as many people being vaccinated as possible, is that far fewer people will require hospitalisation,  thus reducing demand on the NHS (or US equivalent) . This means that those patients that have not been treated for cancer, heart conditions etc over the last year, will finally receive treatment.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The big advantage of as many people being vaccinated as possible, is that far fewer people will require hospitalisation,  thus reducing demand on the NHS (or US equivalent) . This means that those patients that have not been treated for cancer, heart conditions etc over the last year, will finally receive treatment.

Yes, I agree that the overall advantage of the vaccinations for the population in general is as you stated.  I was being more specific in my inquiry...dealing strictly with vaccinated vs. non-vaccinated on a ship.  thanks for your response.  More food for thought!

1 hour ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

As my physician explained to me, the efficacy rate is such that if you do get the virus, it's  non-event for you.  It won't grow in your body to the point where you can spread it to others.  We are already seeing the effects of the vaccine in the population as more shots go into arms of the most vulnerable first, the positivity rate is dropping.

That's why I suspect that the cruise lines, airlines, trains, large sporting events, etc etc will require proof of vaccination to participate in their services. 

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

As my physician explained to me, the efficacy rate is such that if you do get the virus, it's  non-event for you.  It won't grow in your body to the point where you can spread it to others.  We are already seeing the effects of the vaccine in the population as more shots go into arms of the most vulnerable first, the positivity rate is dropping.

That's why I suspect that the cruise lines, airlines, trains, large sporting events, etc etc will require proof of vaccination to participate in their services. 

Very True.  In SC the positivity rate yesterday was down to 3.2%.  The CDC says anything under 5% shows control of the spread.  By this summer, I expect things to be much better than many anticipate.  They are already planning for full football stadiums come September.

14 hours ago, voljeep said:

but not really

And the rest of that cruise may be cancelled. And you may be confined to your cabin until you reach the disembarkation port.

And the cruise after that one may be cancelled while the ship gets an ultra-thorough cleaning.

(And CDC rules do not apply to cruises that have no USA ports on the itinerary.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AZjohn said:

We still don't know what the viral load will be with someone that gets covid after both vaccinations (already reports of this https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210308/reports-of-break-through-covid-cases-after-vaccine).

Hope is that if a vaccinated person contracts covid 19 their viral load will be so small that it would difficult to pass it on to others. 

17 nursing home residents contract COVID-19 after getting shots

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/03/10/17-brenham-nursing-home-residents-contract-covid-19-after-getting-shots/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm amused by the thought of itineraries being released. The cruises are not going to be stopping at any ports, so I assume the itineraries will be "Sail west into the Atlantic for 3 days,  turn round and return to Southampton"

They will probably be Cruises around the UK for Vaccinated UK residents only. 

Although the report is saying from May 18th, I expect it will be late July/Early August before we see anything scheduled as the May date is conditional on the numbers continually dropping. As schools have just re-opened, I am doubtful that will continue to happen. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, clarky213 said:

They will probably be Cruises around the UK for Vaccinated UK residents only. 

Although the report is saying from May 18th, I expect it will be late July/Early August before we see anything scheduled as the May date is conditional on the numbers continually dropping. As schools have just re-opened, I am doubtful that will continue to happen. 

To be fair, they are not being sold as cruises around the UK ( which implies a circumnavigation) but as coastal cruises. So basically, you are on a floating hotel for a week, going nowhere in particular. 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, they are not being sold as cruises around the UK ( which implies a circumnavigation) but as coastal cruises. So basically, you are on a floating hotel for a week, going nowhere in particular. 

I guess we will just have to wait and see until they release the schedules.

Now if they were to do a cruise from Liverpool, I may be interested. (Don't want to drive to Southampton and then have one of the ports as Liverpool, I can Drive there in 15 minutes.)

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2021 at 5:48 AM, Grego said:

I thought the cruise lines had to conduct 60-days of test sailings before they could start revenue service.

And, the CDC has not yet provided any details on how to conduct these tests.

Unless the test sailings start really soon, I don't think a 15-May revenue cruise will be happening.

If you are concerned about time wasted on pointless discussions, I think cruise critic is probably the

wrong place for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I thought the cruise lines had to conduct 60-days of test sailings before they could start revenue service.

And, the CDC has not yet provided any details on how to conduct these tests.

That does not apply to sailings from the UK

2 hours ago, clarky213 said:

I guess we will just have to wait and see until they release the schedules.

Now if they were to do a cruise from Liverpool, I may be interested. (Don't want to drive to Southampton and then have one of the ports as Liverpool, I can Drive there in 15 minutes.)

Sorry - only Southampton will be used. Much too difficult and expensive to set up a new embarkation port just for 2 or 3 cruises.

21 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Well Said