If Vaccinated we should sail

cruzsnooze

If vaccination were a requirement then we should be able to start cruising again

(CNN)New guidelines from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say people fully vaccinated against Covid-19 can safely visit with other vaccinated people and small groups of unvaccinated people in some circumstances, but there are still important safety precautions needed.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/health/covid-19-vaccine-cdc-guidelines-fully-vaccinated/index.html

• Like 1

Assuming that you are allowed to sail, what will the conditions be.  What places will you be allowed to land at.  What will the required conditions be if you are allowed to land at a port.  Just being allowed on the ship is only the first of your problems.

DON

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

If vaccination were a requirement then we should be able to start cruising again

(CNN)New guidelines from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say people fully vaccinated against Covid-19 can safely visit with other vaccinated people and small groups of unvaccinated people in some circumstances, but there are still important safety precautions needed.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/08/health/covid-19-vaccine-cdc-guidelines-fully-vaccinated/index.html

Sounds good to us as long as everyone has to show proof they have been vaccinated. As far as ports go, we're good with going on cruise line-sponsored excursions and wearing masks if that's what it takes to go cruising again. 

• Like 10

The biggest question (in my opinion) is how long is the vaccination is going to keep me safe.  Today it's 90 days from your post 2 weeks.  CDC doesn't have an answer to this question.  Does that mean after my 90 days I'm back to square one?  Questions are out there, answers are evolving.

• Like 1

It still says that vaccinated people should avoid medium and large crowds (not sure what the size limits are), and that there is no change to travel restrictions, so not sure if being on a cruise ship would be considered "travel" or not.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Notice the word small. One could hardly call the group on a cruise ship small.

Plus I believe they also said to avoid unnecessary travel. A cruise is a luxury, not a necessity.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sounds good to us as long as everyone has to show proof they have been vaccinated. As far as ports go, we're good with going on cruise line-sponsored excursions and wearing masks if that's what it takes to go cruising again. 

Yes! Totally agree. ♡

• Like 6

You failed to mention the entire CDC guidelines. The current guidelines do not support an immediate return to cruise ships. These guidelines will change over time. But now is not the time to let your guard down.

In the new guidance, the CDC notes its travel recommendations have not changed: The CDC says people should delay travel and stay home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully by mid-summer, enough people will have the vaccine that cruising, with reduced capacity, can begin.  That is if the anyone who wants to get a shot will be able to by May holds true. 

• Like 1

Some of you misread the recommendation of limiting your exposure to small groups IF THEY AREN"T vaccinated. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The biggest question (in my opinion) is how long is the vaccination is going to keep me safe.  Today it's 90 days from your post 2 weeks.  CDC doesn't have an answer to this question.  Does that mean after my 90 days I'm back to square one?  Questions are out there, answers are evolving.

The only way to know is to get an antibody blood test and see if your immunity is still active.

The real question is will cruising open up.  We have been following covid numbers in Europe in the hope of  a  land trip in Sept-Nov. timeframe.

We looked at Israel.  They have a high percentage of vaccinations yet their covid numbers are not good this week.  Plus, they are plateauing instead of decreasing.  Not a good sign.

I am not certain if we can even determine the relationship between percentage vaccinated and covid stats vis a vis when cruising will open up in any geographic area.  Still so many unknowns. 

Just because we, in our late 60's get vaccinated next week, does not in any way indicate that we will be able to cruise or travel internationally in the near future.

I agree with Ken the Cruiser.  The CDC guidelines seem to indicate a degree of safety when vaccinated people gather. That should tell the cruise lines something.

Do you think that Princess could fill it's ships if all passengers were vaccinated and could show proof thereof?  And what about the employees on board?

My DH and I are booked on 2 cruises, Dec. and May 2022.  We sure miss our cruises.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

I agree with Ken the Cruiser.  The CDC guidelines seem to indicate a degree of safety when vaccinated people gather. That should tell the cruise lines something.

Do you think that Princess could fill it's ships if all passengers were vaccinated and could show proof thereof?  And what about the employees on board?

My DH and I are booked on 2 cruises, Dec. and May 2022.  We sure miss our cruises.

They would fill them in a second

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Define "small" group.  What are the "some" circumstances?

I doubt that a cruise, even at 25% capacity would be considered small, and I'm not sure I want to take the risk that a majority of those people WON'T be vaccinated.

To further quote:

• Visit indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household without masks or physical distancing, if the unvaccinated people are at low risk for severe disease.

23 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Define "small" group.  What are the "some" circumstances?

I doubt that a cruise, even at 25% capacity would be considered small, and I'm not sure I want to take the risk that a majority of those people WON'T be vaccinated.

To further quote:

• Visit indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household without masks or physical distancing, if the unvaccinated people are at low risk for severe disease.

People who will not vaccinate should not be allowed on cruise ships period. If everyone is vaccinated where is the issue ?

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, memoak said:

People who will not vaccinate should not be allowed on cruise ships period. If everyone is vaccinated where is the issue ?

I was addressing the thought that "unvaccinated people can visit with vaccinated people, so why check to see if everyone's vaccinated?".

Edited by Shmoo here

I wonder if cruise lines or various government agencies (in addition to just the US) will have a minimum efficacy number of the vaccine? I ask because many countries are developing their own vaccines that might not be as high as Pfizer and Moderna (95%)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

A vaccine that was only effective for 90 days would be an total failure and disaster.  Certainly there are many people in the trails that are way past the 90 days.  I think the only reason that the CDC gets by with such a ridiculous “90 days” is because most people are less than 90 days.  So a person in Israel or the UK that were fully vaccinated more than 90 days ago are considered not vaccinated by our CDC?  Government bureaucracy at it’s worse.  How about if one considers the vaccine effective until the data shows otherwise.  

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Vaccination won’t make any difference if the cruise lines don’t start the test cruises. Right now they’re pointing the fingers at each other. Let’s hope these test cruises start sooner than later. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The biggest question (in my opinion) is how long is the vaccination is going to keep me safe.  Today it's 90 days from your post 2 weeks.  CDC doesn't have an answer to this question.  Does that mean after my 90 days I'm back to square one?  

Here's your answer...

“New outbreak of COVID-19 in B.C. care home where residents and staff were already vaccinated”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/new-outbreak-covid-bc-care-home-1.5941508

The outbreak in the care home has resulted in @4% of the residents infected, so far. Most  (82%) of the residents had been vax. Some of the infected had the double dose.

The good news is that apparently, there will be fewer serious illnesses. The bad news is that over the weeks end, 10% of BC's cases were caused by variants. To date, 90% of those  variant-caused cases were of the UK variant.

In time, we will get a better understanding of just how much protection is provided by the vaccines. And, how quickly that protection fades over time.

Edited by HappyInVan

What is not said is if the cases were determined by everybody having routine tests or if these people presented symptoms and then were tested.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were 95% effective at preventing cases that displayed symptoms.

The phase 3 testing did not determine if anyone who presented no symptoms did or did not have Covid-19.

• Like 1

This virus is going to be around for a long time so we have to accept that and adapt. Hopefully in time in may be no different to a Flu variant each year.

I will adapt too and if it means living with certain restrictions so that I can travel to see my DD in Madrid ASAP then so be it. Same applies for wanting to be on a cruse ship, and if my July Enchanted Princess Med' cruise is on then so will I be.

I had my first AZ jab the other day and the second will be on 29 May. Regardless of how effective the claims for these vaccines are, it will not stop be trying to get back to normal. What ever "normal" will become.  

• Like 1

More time wasted on discussing what we don't know anything about for sure.  I will spend my time thinking that we will be cruising again this year and preparing for that event.......hopefully our May 15th booking.  We are vaccinated and there was an announcement of a cure drug that has been tested so let's get the show on the water.

• Like 1