The Daily for Tuesday Mar 09, 2021

richwmn

I was born in 1954. I had Chatty Cathy, Thumbelina, Barbie, and Raggedy Ann and Andy. I also dressed up our German shepherd pup with my brothers clothes. She tore up his jacket, ate pieces of it and pooped corduroy for a few days. My days of dressing Dixie were over.

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Just noticed this @GeorgeCharlie that you were on the same cruise  with you , we saw the same dancing a very nice welcome we have seen specially in Asia in the many ports we visited there .

Looks like our cruises overlapped - as we were on the B2B sailing from Dec 08th to Jan 05th, where the second segment when from Singapore up to Myanmar and then back to Singapore.

I'm sure you remember the concerns due to the approaching cyclone!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Happily@Sea said:

You are the second to mention Ginny doll - never even heard of it. Wow! Age does limit your knowledge of fads.

😊I had the Chatty Cathy doll, too! 🤓

FB_IMG_1615328038273.jpg

Edited by garlictown
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

I had a fairly lengthy day at the hospital (University of Maryland) today.  The schedule had a 12:30 Doctor's consultation (In a medical office and a 2:30 CAT Scan(main hospital) with the 2 facilities about a block apart.  I parked in the hospital garage midway between the two and got to the lab about 11:30.  That went pretty quickly and I got to the Doctor's office pretty quickly.  The staff met me at noon for the preliminary work, mostly reviewing the Research Study consent forms.  They are now looking at 2 studies, SUMMIT and APOLLO which do things a bit differently but are very similar.  They are starting with SUMMIT and will look next at APOLLO if that does not work out.  Both would require about 5-10 days in the hospital.

They had me do 2 tests, a 6-minute monitored walk, and standing up and sitting down in a chair as much as possible in 15 seconds.  I think both went reasonably well. 

The Nurse Practitioner met with me for a while, mostly talking as well as listening to my heart.  It is well that I arrived early as I finished the Medical appointment JUST in time to get to the CAT scan.  That went well as well, and I was back at my car about 2:50 and after stopping for groceries and at Panera for takeout I was home about 4:30.  It's back to the waiting game while my results are sent to the trial sponsor.

Roy
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5

51 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I was born in 1954. I had Chatty Cathy, Thumbelina, Barbie, and Raggedy Ann and Andy. I also dressed up our German shepherd pup with my brothers clothes. She tore up his jacket, ate pieces of it and pooped corduroy for a few days. My days of dressing Dixie were over.

1954 was a very good year!   Terry

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:
I had a fairly lengthy day at the hospital (University of Maryland) today.  The schedule had a 12:30 Doctor's consultation (In a medical office and a 2:30 CAT Scan(main hospital) with the 2 facilities about a block apart.  I parked in the hospital garage midway between the two and got to the lab about 11:30.  That went pretty quickly and I got to the Doctor's office pretty quickly.  The staff met me at noon for the preliminary work, mostly reviewing the Research Study consent forms.  They are now looking at 2 studies, SUMMIT and APOLLO which do things a bit differently but are very similar.  They are starting with SUMMIT and will look next at APOLLO if that does not work out.  Both would require about 5-10 days in the hospital.

They had me do 2 tests, a 6-minute monitored walk, and standing up and sitting down in a chair as much as possible in 15 seconds.  I think both went reasonably well. 

The Nurse Practitioner met with me for a while, mostly talking as well as listening to my heart.  It is well that I arrived early as I finished the Medical appointment JUST in time to get to the CAT scan.  That went well as well, and I was back at my car about 2:50 and after stopping for groceries and at Panera for takeout I was home about 4:30.  It's back to the waiting game while my results are sent to the trial sponsor.

Roy

I am glad  you  are home Roy and hope you will know something soon.All the best 

Terry 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

1954 was a very good year!   Terry

Yes it was; I just snuck in near the end on Christmas Day!

@rafinmd I'm glad your day is over and you're back with us.  Sit back and relax for a while knowing we're all here supporting you.  Enjoy your dinner from Panera!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Yes it was; I just snuck in near the end on Christmas Day!

@rafinmd I'm glad your day is over and you're back with us.  Sit back and relax for a while knowing we're all here supporting you.  Enjoy your dinner from Panera!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

A very good year, indeed!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

A late day,  lots going on!  Glad your tests are over Roy, hopefully they will be great news.  

I had the first Barbie as a young girl.  My mom made exquisite evening gowns out of Egyptian brocade.  I’ve shown my granddaughter but haven’t let her play with them,  hers are all headless!  We did the cabbage patch craze for our kids,  than Care Bears and my little ponies!  

After  my mom moved to a care home, I found my old baby doll along with her porcelain doll from the twenties.  I was in tears, so precious!  

stay safe!  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, garlictown said:

😊I had the Chatty Cathy doll, too! 🤓

FB_IMG_1615328038273.jpg

I just found my Chatty Cathy doll in the box downstairs.  And also my "Muffie" doll...anyone remember her?  I must have put them away many years ago still wearing their pj's and nightgown.  I also have a 1997 article from the Minneapolis Star Tribune about a lady who collected the Chatty Cathy dolls.  I didn't save many of my toys from the estate sale, but I always liked dolls. 

thumbnail_20210309_163021.thumb.jpg.62493a8fc3852336bfcc3904059aa83a.jpg

Muffie (Muffy?) doll about 8 inches tall

thumbnail_20210309_162945.thumb.jpg.fa3c44c0488e5a4864e1c8fcc7dfd25a.jpg

Chatty Cathy - she still tries to talk when you pull her string. 

636408185_thumbnail_20210309_163145a.thumb.jpg.55588ce16133bddb29e1c8b3a8354ddf.jpg

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

A late day,  lots going on!  Glad your tests are over Roy, hopefully they will be great news.  

I had the first Barbie as a young girl.  My mom made exquisite evening gowns out of Egyptian brocade.  I’ve shown my granddaughter but haven’t let her play with them,  hers are all headless!  We did the cabbage patch craze for our kids,  than Care Bears and my little ponies!  

After  my mom moved to a care home, I found my old baby doll along with her porcelain doll from the twenties.  I was in tears, so precious!  

stay safe!  

We also did the Care Bears and My Little Ponies with out DDs.

I have my mother's baby doll with a china head and eyes that open an close.  I also have another of her dolls that has a porcelain head with a hair style from the 1890s -1900s.  It is dressed in a replica of her wedding dress and hat with a veil,  My parents were about 30 when they married, so her dress was gray.  Unfortunately the replica has faded, but I still have both displayed on my dresser.  She keep them in dresser drawer and would not let me play with them.  Occasionally, I was allowed to hold them, and I did not let the DDs play with them either.

Lenda

• Like 12

@rafinmd  Roy, i know you are relieved to have the scan and the appointments behind you.  Hope your wait for an answer about the trials and that you are accepted for one soon.  You have a lot of people rooting for you.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

So...whenever it would rain hard, my sister and I put our Barbies in a plastic shoe box, with a note to please return them to our address, and set them sail down the street gutter.  (We lived on a very long street.)

Those Barbies always came home to us.  

Kinder, gentler times.  😊

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happily@Sea said:

I never had a Barbie doll. By the time they came out I was already an older teenager and not interested. I had paper dolls I used to dress when I was younger. Missed the 'Pet Rocks' and 'Cabbage Patch Dolls' too. I was a war baby and just too old for all those fads..

Did you play with the Betsy McCall paper dolls from the magazine? 

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

Good Afternoon All,

This talk of dolls is sending me down Memory Lane. I had several Barbies ( including Malibu Barbie) and my best friend had Skipper and Ken (along with Barbie), so we had to play together to have a whole “family”. I also had a Tiny Tears, Chatty Cathy (mine was blonde) and a Poor Pitiful Pearl ( which I suspect was a reference to a relative on Mom’s part.😱) I remember preferring my Barbies and the sandbox to the others.

3 years ago today Zaandam was at sea sailing for Punta Arenas Chile.

I’m doing some odd jobs around the house today, trying to procrastinate 🤪prepping stuff for eBay. Hey, I’m honest about it.😇

Will have to take my sewing machine in soon for its annual tuneup, and hoping to time it so I can take a short jaunt from the store to gawk at Noordam, when she comes in in a few days. I’m hoping it’s Long Beach she docks at.

So I leave you with a close up of a version my favorite dessert on HAL, the Chocolate Delight (NAS).

84A2911D-09FF-4A3C-8215-6BF82CF5F74B.jpeg

F2C8A48C-5D54-4E2F-9FC6-BDDB58FA21FC.jpeg

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 20

17 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Afternoon All,

This talk of dolls is sending me down Memory Lane. I had several Barbies ( including Malibu Barbie) and my best friend had Skipper and Ken (along with Barbie), so we had to play together to have a whole “family”. I also had a Tiny Tears, Chatty Cathy (mine was blonde) and a Poor Pitiful Pearl ( which I suspect was a reference to a relative on Mom’s part.😱) I remember preferring my Barbies and the sandbox to the others.

3 years ago today Zaandam was at sea sailing for Punta Arenas Chile.

I’m doing some odd jobs around the house today, trying to procrastinate 🤪prepping stuff for eBay. Hey, I’m honest about it.😇

Will have to take my sewing machine in soon for its annual tuneup, and hoping to time it so I can take a short jaunt from the store to gawk at Noordam, when she comes in in a few days. I’m hoping it’s Long Beach she docks at.

So I leave you with a close up of a version my favorite dessert on HAL, the Chocolate Delight (NAS).

84A2911D-09FF-4A3C-8215-6BF82CF5F74B.jpeg

F2C8A48C-5D54-4E2F-9FC6-BDDB58FA21FC.jpeg

Not sure if I’m drooling more over the dessert or just that sea view! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Got a late call this afternoon. There was a cancellation tomorrow morning for a Allen's MOHS surgery, so we were able to snag it. Please keep him in prayer.

Hoping Roy that all went well with you today.

Prayers winging their way for Allen, Joy!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Glad it went smoothly, Roy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Roy

Thank you for this update; sending positive thoughts your way. 🌟

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Got a late call this afternoon. There was a cancellation tomorrow morning for a Allen's MOHS surgery, so we were able to snag it. Please keep him in prayer.

Hoping Roy that all went well with you today.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Good evening sweet sis!! I just got in and wanted to see how our dear Roy was doing and saw your writing!! Allen will do well tomorrow and I am happy he was able to get that opening👍👍 MOHS as you know will take awhile but we know how great the reward is. So much has changed in MOHS over the last 25 years!

I WILL BE PRAYING FOR ALLEN AND WILL BE WITH YOU IN SPPRIT TOMORROW WHILE YOU ARE THERE! Wish I could sit with you while Allen is having the procedure!  Take care Joy❤️
XOXO

Denise❤️

• Like 10

13 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  My sister still collects Barbie Dolls and I've given up on organizing my home office.  I think the grocery stores believe in the quote, it seems to change weekly.  Both meals sound wonderful.  Good luck today Roy.  Toasts and prayers for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Things are getting better.

Boozy Butterbeer Punch:

Ingredients
1½ oz butterscotch syrup (recipe follows)
1½ oz dark aged rum
½ oz butterscotch liqueur
1 cup non alcoholic sparkling apple cider, cold
Whipped cream (optional)
Instructions
In the bottom of a small mug, mix together the butterscotch syrup, rum and liqueur
Add one cup of sparkling non alcoholic cider
The butterbeer will foam up naturally, but if desired, you can top it with whipped cream. Butterscotch Sauce Recipe

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 TB salted butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup hot water

INSTRUCTIONS:
In a tall sauce pot, combine sugar, the first cup of water and butter.
Turn on heat to medium low and stir until sugar melts.
Once the sugar has melted, stop stirring and turn up the heat to medium high.
Bring to a boil, swirling the pan to keep the mixture moving.
If needed, use a wet pastry brush to wash down crystals that form on the side of the pan.
Cook until the mixture is golden brown and caramelized, making sure to pull it off the heat before it burns.
Add the baking soda and stir it in (the mixture will bubble up).
Slowly pour in remaining hot water and stir until smooth.
If the mixture separates when the water is added, reheat it over low heat and stir until any sugar clumps melt.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.05.02 AM.png

Something else for myself to sample!

• Like 4

Roy

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Dear Roy!!

Last night and throughout my day all I did was think about you while I helped so many today wonderful people to get their vaccines! I believe in my heart the possibility of these trials will be a great benefit for you! I am not a cardiologist by no means but it is how I feel inside!!

hope you enjoyed your Panera this evening and I have a smile on my face feeling good for you!! I did see your pictures and the sunset!! Thank you Roy!

Sleep well

Sincerely

Denise😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party again..  Glad to hear that your test is over, Roy, and wishing the best outcome for you!

I had a 6 hour Red Cross training class and exercise today, and then for the next two days I have 4 hours each day of FEMA training (for Red Cross).   At least everything is on-line and I don't have to leave home.  Really looking forward to the class that is upcoming.

I am another one who is not of the Barbie generation.  My youngest sister had one of the original Barbies, and now one of her daughters has it.  It was a well-loved, and well worn doll when my sister was out of the doll age.  I am of the Betsy-Wetsy group!  

I have been loving the pictures and reminisces of the ports that have been highlighted.  Just proves to me that I definitely need to get on some Dam ships to see more of the world!  

With being tied up most of the day, I  just heard about bad flooding in the Hawaiian islands.  During my training today we were going through a scenario that might happen this weekend, if the predicted storm for East of here comes to fruition.  This whole country has certainly had a bad start to 2021 weather!

Have a great evening, everyone.

• Like 10