The Daily for Wednesday Mar 10, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Bagpipe Day, Pack Your Lunch Day, and Middle Name Pride Day

"As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death. - Leonardo da Vinci"

Meal suggestion for today - Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup

Drink of the Day - The Bull Shooter

Wine of the day - Chateau Ste Michelle & Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling - Washington - White

Port of the Day - Rouen (Paris) France

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angelas eta 3/13
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 3/11

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage
Volendam Anchorage
Zaandam Anchorage

0310USA.thumb.png.81b8027bb1d5029edb556b4a2664623b.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  With a Scottish heritage I love bagpipes.  My middle name is my father's first name.  I only pack lunches sporadically.  I love the quote, but will pass on the pea soup.  My alternative is a bit strange and I'll deal with that in a separate post.  I will check but don't think I have been to Rouen.

Today's care list:

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH in rehab and facing chemo

Victor’s wife

Cunnorl's  BIL still hospitalized

RIP Roger Mudd

Mamaofami and DH

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Surprise MOHS opening for Alan

Negative tests for Mamaofami DH

This community for 51 weeks

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites.  Happy Hump Day.

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love listening to bagpipes, and I haven't packed a lunch in years.  My middle name is my mom's middle name.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, looking forward to seeing Roy's.

I'm sure the wine will be wonderful.

I've never been to Rouen, maybe someday.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Have a good day.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone.

What a difference a day makes!   I really felt lousy all day yesterday, but after a good night's sleep I am raring to go today.  

I love the sound of bag pipes, am done packing lunches, and my middle name is Ann.  So, a good group of days.   The drink sounds interesting as does the wine selection.  

Today's meal is a HAL staple.   I'd probably leave out the carrots, but the rest sounds wonderful.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooker-split-pea-soup/

slow-cooker-split-pea-soup-1b.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and Happy Wednesday!  The weather here today should be beautiful, sunny and highs in the upper 60’s.  Our mission today is to walk the beach and find shells.  A tough job but somewhat to do it 😎.

When I make split pea, I always use chicken stock instead of water, gives it more flavor.

• Like 22

Good morning.  Love to hear bagpipes.  Have a friend who plays them and often posts video's of her practicing.  Finished packing my lunch when I retired and I have a common middle name, no pride there.  Great quote by da Vinci.  I love the meal suggestion, will use Debbie's for dinner tomorrow.  Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

The Bull Shot: Not one I would drink because of the beef bouillon.

Ingredients. 1 1/2 ounces vodka. 3 ounces beef bouillon (or beef consommé; chilled) Dash lemon juice. 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce. 2 dashes hot sauce (Tabasco) Optional: celery salt (optional) Ground pepper, to taste (fresh) Garnish: lemon wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.02.55 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning - I'm on here early today!

Love bagpipes, and hear them once in a while at work. Some of the students at the Merchant Marine Academy are very talented, and will play as the regiment marches in for lunch.  Very uplifting to see and hear!

I can't celebrate middle names....mine is Louise, and I can't tell how many times people would call me Laura Lousy!  I never liked it and never use it.

I do pack my lunch occasionally for work, but it always seems to be such a chore....easier to go buy something!

I am loving the Port of the Day.  So far I've only been to Grand Cayman, but will be going to Qaqortoq next year on our Nieuw Statendam cruise.  I love seeing all the pictures and hearing all the options at the other ports, thanks to all who have been there and shared!

My DS got his second shot yesterday. My DH will be getting his second shot on Saturday.  I have to wait til the end of the month for my second.  Looking forward to seeing people again!!!

Have a great day, stay safe and masked.

Laura

• Like 23

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Chateau Ste Michelle & Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling - Washington - White

Rich, this wine also appeared on February 13th. I edited in the info from that Daily. It is a decent Riesling. I tried it as a result of the reviews.  More semi-sweet than semi-dry in my opinion, but I love dry wines. 

With your permission, I will substitute another wine for today. And I invite @XBGuyto do the same.  

This Washington off-dry Riesling has excellent ratings and is reasonably priced. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $15.99. Though not a fan of sweet Rieslings, I would love to try this one. 

Winemaker Notes

#81 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Eroica Riesling offers sweet lime and mandarin orange aromas with subtle mineral notes. The mouth-watering acidity is beautifully balanced by flavorful Washington Riesling fruit. To achieve the Eroica style, the winery strives for bright fruit with crisp acidity and enhanced minerality. A good match for Asian dishes, Indian curries, crab, and scallops.

WE91 Wine Enthusiast: The aromas are vibrant, with notes of lime leaf, whole lime and wet slate. Medium-bodied, off-dry lime and white-peach flavors follow, with mouthwatering acidity upping the interest. Editors' Choice.

WS91
Wine Spectator
A lovely wine, appealingly off-dry and boldly expressive, with honeysuckle, peach, grapefruit and spice flavors that linger on the lush, crisp finish.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21

25 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love to hear bagpipes.  Have a friend who plays them and often posts video's of her practicing.  Finished packing my lunch when I retired and I have a common middle name, no pride there.  Great quote by da Vinci.  I love the meal suggestion, will use Debbie's for dinner tomorrow.  Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Ingredients. 1 1/2 ounces vodka. 3 ounces beef bouillon (or beef consommé; chilled) Dash lemon juice. 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce. 2 dashes hot sauce (Tabasco) Optional: celery salt (optional) Ground pepper, to taste (fresh) Garnish: lemon wedge.

That would give me an ulser.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning Rich.  It is 6:30 AM in Naperville and it is already 55.  Thanks for the fleet report.  Do not like the drink of the day. I love the bagpipes.  my dad was always called by his second name as my grandfather and my dad had the same first name.  My best to all the DAILYITES.  

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Gosh, what kind of person would think up this drink. I can not imagine even taking a sip of one. Ewwwww.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kplady said:

I can't celebrate middle names....mine is Louise, and I can't tell how many times people would call me Laura Lousy!  I never liked it and never use it.

Laura

Laura Lousy, meet Annie Lou. 

I share my Mom’s middle name - Louise, so that makes it all ok. But I hated being called Annie, and adding Lou just added insult to injury. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cat shepard said:

Laura Lousy, meet Annie Lou. 

I share my Mom’s middle name - Louise, so that makes it all ok. But I hated being called Annie, and adding Lou just added insult to injury. 

My middle name is Ann. My sister's middle name is Louise, named after our great aunt.

• Like 13

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love bagpipes and happy to say I stopped packing lunches when DH retired. My middle name is my grandmother’s. I don’t like it, don’t use it and refuse to be called by it.  

I’ve the quote by da Vinci.  Lots of ham left over so maybe I will make the soup.  Most likely, I’l be lazy and just go for the leftovers 😉 

@summer slope I’m with you on turning down the Bull Shooter.  Beef bullion?  Ugh.

Finally,  a port we have been to more than once!  I absolutely love Rouen.  So much history and so beautiful.  Lots to see so easy to return to and enjoy more of it 🙂 

While I know that there are tours offered to Paris and the cruise lines tend to  list this port as a means to get to Paris, I recommend you stay in Rouen if you are fortunate enough to have it on your itinerary.

It’s an absolutely exquisite city.  Typical Normandy construction:

AC5F3BFD-812C-4451-B6FC-ADA1B14E7BD6.jpeg.68fb405c9adce27f9df23f16ae9e8ce6.jpeg

It’s clock with the famous arch is incredible and so very beautiful:

65E5FF52-CD8D-4D31-B877-D7DB7F0A6CCD.thumb.jpeg.4c0da96d979194f693db22b9dc7a002e.jpeg

So many beautiful churches and cathedrals in Rouen - the landscape is amazing:

F7067460-E506-4B22-B1E7-22BD0CE93057.jpeg.6d35e632c3f8dfd66c33d5dc4dc7aaa4.jpeg

And of course, Rouen is famous as this is where Joan of Arc (Jeanne d’Arc) was burned at the stake.  

94D793CE-6491-4AF6-99CB-4CB7FE7BF5DF.jpeg.03050ab4350a506f7e83a833b035a2a3.jpeg

She is remembered with a bridge, streets, etc named for her. (I stole a couple of the pics as they are better than mine).

So, my recommendation - if you are lucky enough to have Rouen on your itinerary - explore beautiful Rouen and save Paris for when you have more time and can explore it in depth and spend a few days there pre or post cruise.  (Easy to get to by high speed train).

I’d happily return to Rouen any time.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to all those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great hump day everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 34

Good morning everyone and thanks for the updates.  Comfort and prayers for those who are struggling, please add my dear friend, Rachel, the mother of two small boys and caretaker of her own mother who has been diagnosed with breast cancer.   Blessings to to those who help us.  They are our heroes.  

My middle name is after my Grandfather's poor unloved sister, Alice.  She was sort of a black sheep and likely I am the only person who remembers her fondly.  She was a bit strong headed.   

I love Pea Soup.  When memorizing my ship layouts, the Dutch cafe is of utmost importance.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I love the sound of bagpipes. I occasionally pack snacks to tide me over, if it is a super busy day - that is as close as I get to packing a lunch these days. And as mentioned earlier, my middle name is Louise, which was also my Mom’s middle name. 

Wonderful quote! Pass on the meal and the drink - ewwww! I have been to Rouen, but not on a cruise. I should have some pics in Shutterfly. Will hunt for them later.  Though mine probably show similar views as Jacqui’s. 

Another lovely day in the neighborhood. I failed at walking Emma yesterday. She growled and bared her teeth at me when I tried to put the leash on her. I sat down on the floor with her for awhile and tried to get her to play with her panda with me, but nothing. Imagine going 9 hours without a bathroom break? She did it. And no accidents. Her Mom said sometimes one of her knees goes out, and it is painful. But even two treats could not entice her yesterday. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

I am going to substitute another wine for today’s Daily. It is a red. And a Cab. But it is one of the few sippable Cabs with a decent price. I always try to keep one in the house. And can usually pick one up for $17.99.

8DFB28D8-28AD-4EC0-BB02-F0EC31BF7D84.jpeg.900438a70a6abeeada7a5bfdf87d13f1.jpeg
Shannon Ridge Buck Shack Bourbon Barrel Cabernet Sauvignon 2017. 
Winemaker Notes

Nestled deep in their vineyards stood a dilapidated 100 year old skinning shed called "Ye Old Buck Shack". They loved the beauty and history of this old building. They restored it and converted it into a whiskey bar on the property called "Sheep Camp". The shack looks and feels like an old Western movie and it serves as a special place for people to gather and use bad judgement. 
WW90 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com- Cabernet Sauvignon in Bourbon barrels? As the wine world keeps on evolving, one has to adjust to the new styles of wine as they appear in the marketplace. I was skeptical of this category, but the 2017 Shannon Ridge Buck Shack Cabernet Sauvignon was a pleasant surprise. TASTING NOTES: This wine shows whiskey barrel notes, but it is well-integrated. Its aromas and flavors of black fruit and sweet oak should pair it well with a grilled ribeye.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Love bagpipes and happy to say I stopped packing lunches when DH retired. My middle name is my grandmother’s. I don’t like it, don’t use it and refuse to be called by it.  

I’ve the quote by da Vinci.  Lots of ham left over so maybe I will make the soup.  Most likely, I’l be lazy and just go for the leftovers 😉 

@summer slope I’m with you on turning down the Bull Shooter.  Beef bullion?  Ugh.

Finally,  a port we have been to more than once!  I absolutely love Rouen.  So much history and so beautiful.  Lots to see so easy to return to and enjoy more of it 🙂 

While I know that there are tours offered to Paris and the cruise lines tend to  list this port as a means to get to Paris, I recommend you stay in Rouen if you are fortunate enough to have it on your itinerary.

It’s an absolutely exquisite city.  Typical Normandy construction:

AC5F3BFD-812C-4451-B6FC-ADA1B14E7BD6.jpeg.68fb405c9adce27f9df23f16ae9e8ce6.jpeg

It’s clock with the famous arch is incredible and so very beautiful:

65E5FF52-CD8D-4D31-B877-D7DB7F0A6CCD.thumb.jpeg.4c0da96d979194f693db22b9dc7a002e.jpeg

So many beautiful churches and cathedrals in Rouen - the landscape is amazing:

F7067460-E506-4B22-B1E7-22BD0CE93057.jpeg.6d35e632c3f8dfd66c33d5dc4dc7aaa4.jpeg

And of course, Rouen is famous as this is where Joan of Arc (Jeanne d’Arc) was burned at the stake.  

94D793CE-6491-4AF6-99CB-4CB7FE7BF5DF.jpeg.03050ab4350a506f7e83a833b035a2a3.jpeg

She is remembered with a bridge, streets, etc named for her. (I stole a couple of the pics as they are better than mine).

So, my recommendation - if you are lucky enough to have Rouen on your itinerary - explore beautiful Rouen and save Paris for when you have more time and can explore it in depth and spend a few days there pre or post cruise.  (Easy to get to by high speed train).

I’d happily return to Rouen any time.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to all those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great hump day everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

Rouen used to have an absolutely fabulous light show at the cathedral.  Not sure if it is still going in the pandemic but it is a must see.

• Like 11