The Daily for Wednesday Mar 24, 2021

richwmn

It is getting difficult to post, with "the hound" watching my every move!IMG_5572.thumb.JPG.467b0008c1810e235316c839645f883c.JPG

In 1995, Canada issued 5 stamps on Fort Louisbourg - in the past, there had been a couple of series of forts, but each fort only got one stamp - Fort Louisbourg is the only one that got five!

IMG_5575.thumb.JPG.e68848652dfc6d0e88e2b261b37ed50f.JPG

IMG_5573.thumb.JPG.2e226dcfab6a03ec86ee9cc2c243fa75.JPG

• Like 26

Good morning and thanks all!   

Sydney brings back fond memories of a trip to Louisburg Fortress where our DS who was only 6 at the time was accosted by a bayonet bearing soldier for wearing a red coat!  I suggested he take off his coat, but he was also wearing a Redshirt.😂.  We also found out only the poorest ate lobster sandwiches to their great embarrassment!  

a beautiful day

6EC3F60A-5D47-4965-ABDB-5D034FC8BFB2.jpeg

• Like 22

44 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have not posted in the last few days Grateful for all the positive posts. Also very thankful that my BIL was on the prayer list. Unfortunately he passed last night. Very sad time again for our family.  He was only 66. This terrible virus has affected so many lives.

So sorry for your loss. 🙏

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

His COPD took a sudden turn for the worse Monday and he was rushed to the hospital. Yesterday he was put on a ventilator, and the prognosis is not good. 

So sorry to hear this.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have not posted in the last few days Grateful for all the positive posts. Also very thankful that my BIL was on the prayer list. Unfortunately he passed last night. Very sad time again for our family.  He was only 66. This terrible virus has affected so many lives.

Our sympathy on your loss.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

@DeeniEncinitasjust for you, some pictures of the OTHER Sydney!

371F9443-6EAD-4DBF-90DC-3C77A0AAF32D.thumb.jpeg.bd90a4d97d00ab8933d961f2b2bf527b.jpeg

Sailing into Sydney Harbour. The landmark bridge is locally called The Coat Hanger.

C82564A4-FC31-4606-81C4-6AA2BECAB6DF.thumb.jpeg.ba91d3890b6fc15bf6a2748c5fc6bc1f.jpeg

46AC03F8-69BA-41AA-B7A5-25693FC07E5B.thumb.jpeg.3c6efa7baf0c909a554c6431915f22a2.jpeg

Looking across at the Opera House from a park at the base of the bridge. In the top picture you can see the Ruby Princess, bringing the virus scare to Australia.

6F421301-0F70-418F-96B6-9EDD5B0DF412.thumb.jpeg.88d9e0e4d7e587552f44526d1113d3c3.jpeg

2DB3CDEE-98D0-44A6-98CA-235A40FCECC5.thumb.jpeg.8398d7e43651d8132b24cc1ed2fbddcc.jpeg

Darling Harbour, a popular waterfront tourist spot.

1EF9E0A1-E35D-476D-AB6D-CAC5FAD10729.thumb.jpeg.a2570ae6178b1f47e6e5f08ee6b73189.jpeg

A large, terrifying looking bird officially called Australian White Ibis. Locally it is called a Bin Chicken, due its fondness for garbage picking.

5FF10632-7E57-4BF4-906F-1822CD4C9B75.thumb.jpeg.42953d2a5991ea091b9a776199bfb330.jpeg

Our sailaway view of the Opera House and The Coat Hanger as we wave goodbye.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Thank you so much for the pictures!!!!

Always been on our list just things got in the way like Covid! I appreciate you doing the pictures for me❤️
Denise😊

• Like 8

👍Thank You for the Daily! 🌴Happy Wednesday morning from Maui.🌴😎 (Only 8:30 a.m.)

@cunnorl...so very sorry to hear this news! Condolences to you and your family.

😉We have driven around both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick on a road trip and additionally have cruised into the port of Sydney. My husband and I 💗 Canada and have been to 6 provinces!! 😁

🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

20210323_204313.jpg

• Like 16

This morning I was reading the forum and there was a second page started. I was interrupted by a phone call, taking the garbage can out to the street, the dog needing a walk and so on and when I returned there was four pages. So much to catch up on. Rich you are truly inspiring to have so many come together daily. Thanks all who are here. 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

It is getting difficult to post, with "the hound" watching my every move!IMG_5572.thumb.JPG.467b0008c1810e235316c839645f883c.JPG

Ahh, but look at that face ♥️ Adorable.  You can’t stay mad at that!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, garlictown said:

👍Thank You for the Daily! 🌴Happy Wednesday morning from Maui.🌴😎 (Only 8:30 a.m.)

@cunnorl...so very sorry to hear this news! Condolences to you and your family.

😉We have driven around both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick on a road trip and additionally have cruised into the port of Sydney. My husband and I 💗 Canada and have been to 6 provinces!! 😁

🙏Prayers to all in need.🙏

20210323_204313.jpg

Are you staying at Maui Kaanapali Villas at the condos there? Our home is on the walk way going to the small family beach there. Looks like CastAways Restaurant!

Mahalo🌴🌴🌴

Denise😊

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all. I like today’s quote, and enjoy all the pictures of Sydney, Nova Scotia. We haven’t been there yet, but hope to get it in on a Canada New England cruise in fall of 2022.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned my BIL in Montreal and his wife had their jabs. They were eligible because of his COPD, which made them move into an apartment in an assisted living complex. His COPD took a sudden turn for the worse Monday and he was rushed to the hospital. Yesterday he was put on a ventilator, and the prognosis is not good. 
How ironic to have this happen so soon after being vaccinated and for reasons unrelated to Covid or the vaccine. There is nothing we can do but pray and wait.

In the meantime, stay safe, and wait for better times to come, and a return to our BHB’s.

401E0E64-32D2-42AC-AC28-14CCB55A7106.thumb.jpeg.00046ae30f4ae1e3acc26e9bf7191aa5.jpeg

Praying for your BIL!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Excellent news.  Is he still waiting for his second jab?  Do I also remember that you have a cruise booked to celebrate his recovery?

He got the J&J, so only one jab. We're scheduled to do the November TA from Barcelona to FLL, but I'm not sure that will happen. More likely is the Hawaiian Islands cruise in February 2022 which will also celebrate a milestone bday for DH. Of course, after all this, I think we'll celebrate all of his bdays as "milestones"!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@cunnorlI am so very sorry for your loss.  Yes, he was much too young.   Warm thoughts for you and his family.

@Horizon chaser 1957I'm very sorry to hear about your BIL.   My mother suffered with advanced COPD at the end of her life.  I was her primary care giver during that time and know how hard it can be on them.  She was retaining carbon dioxide, so they put her on a bipap for that, but at the end she rejected that and her breathing treatments as they tended to agitate her.  Her directives said no ventilator.  

@NextOnegreat news about your DH.   Every birthday is a milestone.

Our gray, rainy day has turned into blue skies and wind.  It is 72 outside, but I am freezing in the house.  My house takes a long time to warm up in the spring.  It is too warm for the furnace to run right now and my computer/TV room is on the lower level.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

I am another one that has been to Sydney NovaScotia 3 times, each time on a different HAL ship. Never got to the Fortress of Louisburg as DH was not physically able. We did do the following ship excursions:

A Taste of The Cabot Trail, Bras d'Or Lake Heart of the Island, and Baddock with the Alexander Graham Bell National Historical Site. And of course we saw the fiddle players, the step dancers and we ate oat cookies.  Unfortunately all of our photos were taken with an old fashioned Cannon AE1. Eacellent photos but I can't post them. My thanks to all of you who have posted photos showing fond memories. 

• Like 16

6 hours ago, kazu said:

F3CBE7D6-FE14-4C27-9094-279E545C6342.png.58a1804f26e8a93e23a900aa083acb8e.png

I, of course, smiled when I read this.  However, if you slightly stretch the definition of "raisin" beyond what comes in the little red boxes (at least, in the U.S.) there are, in fact, wines that are made from raisins.

French Sauternes, Hungarian Tokaji and German Trockenbeerenausleses (often abbreviated as TBAs for obvious reasons) are made from grapes that have been affected by Botrytis cinerea, also known as noble rot.  Botrytis causes the grape to dry and become partially raisined on the vine.  Here is a pic of a cluster of a botrytis-affected grape cluster.  Frankly, it looks gross, to me.  Just like the first guy to try a raw oyster, somebody thought it would make a good wine.

125px-Botrytisgrape.jpg.1f674ab920145c53ff7bd90014aa9bc1.jpg

In the Valpolicella region of Italy, they make a wine called Amarone.  In this case, however, ripe grapes harvested and, then, dried in the sun for up to 120 days before they are crushed and fermented.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@NextOneyou must be thrilled to have DH home from the rehab hospital.  Great news.

@Horizon chaser 1957I'm sorry to hear about your BIL.  Sending good thoughts your way and prayers for him.

@cunnorlI was hoping this wasn't going to be the case.  I'm sorry for your loss and prayers for all.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1