When (if) cruising returns to normal where would you go first?

Loreni

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would double check that; I think it is just in August. And the Fringe festival is also in Edinburgh in August (at least it was pre-Covid).

Edinburgh was wonderful. But the ship sent us from Glasgow by bus. We had great seats. Need to book the excursion as soon as they come out. Great antique jewelry stores on the Royal mile. You are probably right about the military Tattoo being just August. I might be confusing it with the Palio in Senia( also an amazing experience. )

Well, we were supposed to be on a South America/Antarctica cruise on the Coral right now.  As much as we were looking forward to that adventure I’m not sure if we’re comfortable taking a 31 day cruise in the future.  When the pandemic began last March we followed the Coral closely because that was the cruise that we were signed up for in March 2021.  Well, last year on the Coral everything was fine until it wasn’t and then they were denied entry in ports of call and at least one passenger passed away from Covid.  Eventually we would like to experience a Mediterranean cruise once things improve in Europe.  We’ve sailed in the Caribbean quite a bit and are more interested in seeing new places.  As others have mentioned, our biological clocks are ticking so we are more interested in broadening our travel experiences.  Our very first priority will be to take more land tours with Rick Steves.

On 3/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, Loreni said:

I understand that cruising may never return to normal, but assuming it does, where would you go first:

1) return to your favorite cruise itinerary, 

Absolutely.. from our home port... bags are packed......   I am dreaming

Where would i go first ??  well princess...  could homeport out of our usual port.....  what ship... no idea.. was the golden... then was the sapphire... now looking like the grand...... probably whatever ship nobody else wants  ...   Itentaries ... then had some great ones on offer for oct-dec 2020...

the only ones i have seen are same old one.....

Would like something 13+ nights (could be B2B) from homeport... going where ever ......   adn not over the top pricing....

So where would i go....?  anyway...

9 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Edinburgh was wonderful. But the ship sent us from Glasgow by bus. We had great seats. Need to book the excursion as soon as they come out. Great antique jewelry stores on the Royal mile. You are probably right about the military Tattoo being just August. I might be confusing it with the Palio in Senia( also an amazing experience. )

Our Princess ship had us in Forsyth. We bought our own tickets to the Tattoo. We had to take the train to Edinburgh. We bought roundtrip tickets, but unfortunately the train was no longer running by the time we got to the station from the Tattoo and had to take a cab back to the ship. The cruise was from the very small former Ocean Princess.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Our Princess ship had us in Forsyth. We bought our own tickets to the Tattoo. We had to take the train to Edinburgh. We bought roundtrip tickets, but unfortunately the train was no longer running by the time we got to the station from the Tattoo and had to take a cab back to the ship. The cruise was from the very small former Ocean Princess.

You are very brave. I would have freaked out. We always take ship’s excursions unless we are just walking around a Caribbean port that we have been to many times. We have been all over the world with Princess . We don’t want to worry about missing the ship. Let us hope that we can all do it again by next year. Tick Tock....

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

Well, we were supposed to be on a South America/Antarctica cruise on the Coral right now.  As much as we were looking forward to that adventure I’m not sure if we’re comfortable taking a 31 day cruise in the future.  When the pandemic began last March we followed the Coral closely because that was the cruise that we were signed up for in March 2021.  Well, last year on the Coral everything was fine until it wasn’t and then they were denied entry in ports of call and at least one passenger passed away from Covid.  Eventually we would like to experience a Mediterranean cruise once things improve in Europe.  We’ve sailed in the Caribbean quite a bit and are more interested in seeing new places.  As others have mentioned, our biological clocks are ticking so we are more interested in broadening our travel experiences.  Our very first priority will be to take more land tours with Rick Steves.

I love the Rick Steves shows on our PBS channel but when I looked into the tours they just weren’t for us. Because they stay at small hotels that don’t always have elevators and you have to carry your own luggage. I think we missed the boat ( haha) age wise. We’ll stick to Tauck. But I envy you because he often goes to out of the way places.the closest we got to that feel is the Puglia part of Italy Tauck tour because we stayed in farmhouse Inns. 

It really doesn't matter.  There is always something new to experience even though we have been to most areas many times.  We do look for itineraries that include a port or two that might be new to a Princess port of call which is true of our November 2021 Island Princess voyage from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.

If cruises return to normal this year I will happily go back to the Caribbean for some sunshine and island vibes. I would like to do a Greek island cruise in the nearish future but that will require more time off work for logistics and time to visit family in Switzerland (hope they open up soon!). I lived on Crete for a year but would love to go back and see the other islands. It was a wonderful experience living there.

3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

You are very brave. I would have freaked out. We always take ship’s excursions unless we are just walking around a Caribbean port that we have been to many times. We have been all over the world with Princess . We don’t want to worry about missing the ship. Let us hope that we can all do it again by next year. Tick Tock....

We really could not have missed the ship since it was an overnight stay.

Going on our own also allowed us to see a lot of the Fringe Festival, go to the museums that my art teacher DW wanted to see, and eat at the restaurant we had discovered the last time we were in Scotland.

1st cruise for us after cruising resumes will be to So. Caribbean in Nov., 2021 with some familiar ports & a couple of new ones...feeling more comfortable leaving from FLL as we live on the East Coast.

Now for the NEXT cruise---to Alaska...3rd time's the charm in 2022 after cancellations for 2020 & 2021!

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We really could not have missed the ship since it was an overnight stay.

Going on our own also allowed us to see a lot of the Fringe Festival, go to the museums that my art teacher DW wanted to see, and eat at the restaurant we had discovered the last time we were in Scotland.

Yes an overnight stay is great. It wasn’t our first time in Edinburgh. The first time was 1971 on a driving trip from London with friends. We spent a month doing a figure 8 through England and Scotland looking at antiques, driving over hump back bridges and learning roundabouts.  I bought a huge Minton bowl that I carried home on my lap on the plane. But that was a long time ago and we look for stress free travel now. But I’m glad you had a great time.

10 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Absolutely.. from our home port... bags are packed......   I am dreaming

Where would i go first ??  well princess...  could homeport out of our usual port.....  what ship... no idea.. was the golden... then was the sapphire... now looking like the grand...... probably whatever ship nobody else wants  ...   Itentaries ... then had some great ones on offer for oct-dec 2020...

the only ones i have seen are same old one.....

Would like something 13+ nights (could be B2B) from homeport... going where ever ......   adn not over the top pricing....

So where would i go....?  anyway...

We're booked out of Melbourne for January 2022. Hopefully we (and maybe you) can sail then.

For us, it is NOT "when and if"...it is "IT IS"...

After moving several 2020 and early 2021 cruises around, we remain with FOUR current bookings, the earliest of which we now have confirmation from the cruise line WILL happen (despite negativity and pessimism from various posters on Cruise Critic)...

We ARE going on the following:

1)  July 31 Celebrity Apex...out of Athens to Santorini, Rhodes, Haifa and Ashdod...This one was just rescheduled and affirmed by Celebrity.

2)  October 30 Majestic Princess to the Mexican Riviera (I fully expect by late October this one to be a "go")

3)  March 27, 2022 Celebrity Solstice to Japan--14 nights

The fourth booking we have is on July 19 on Celebrity Infinity, Rome to Venice...and i sort of expect that one to be canceled--and we're waiting on re-booking options...hopefully they will let us "back-to-back on the July 24 Apex to the Greek Islands and Cyprus...but, for now, it's wait and see...

The fifth in our plans would be a Princess one-way sailing from Vancouver to LA--but that requires Canada to start allowing cruise ships once again...

We were hoping to do Alaska again this year (tried 3 times) but obviously that will not be happening.

Our second choice is Hawaii and we are booked April 2022.  We figure by then life on a cruise ship should be somewhat normal.

I hope to book another near the fall but its a wait and see.

We do have another cruise in January 2023 but on NCL (this will be our first time trying this line).

Three years ago I booked an Alaskan cruise as a surprise to my new wife for May 2020. As we all know but her this was cancelled. Tried again for May 2021. Again no luck and cancelled. We are now booked for May 2022. I hope the 3rd time is a charm. It's killing me to keep this secret for all these years!☹️

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bumorgan said:

Three years ago I booked an Alaskan cruise as a surprise to my new wife for May 2020. As we all know but her this was cancelled. Tried again for May 2021. Again no luck and cancelled. We are now booked for May 2022. I hope the 3rd time is a charm. It's killing me to keep this secret for all these years!☹️

If she reads these boards, your secret is no longer a secret.

Years !!! I have trouble 'keeping a secret' about cruising for days , maybe hours, from my wife.

I surprised her once with flowers on board ... that I booked a couple of weeks before - that's it

she has too much enjoyment from looking forward and planning , and I would never deny her that pleasure

but, hey, if it works for you ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1