Florida Ban on Vaccine Passports Will Hurt Cruise Industry

mmcguir

11 hours ago, MomC said:

I know of no topic in the last 20+ years that has brought the amount of controversy as that of Covid.  Could you just knock it off?  I believe masks help, you don’t.  Do we need to debate it ad nauseum?  I trust the CDC, their scientific research.  I trust my government to have my best interests at heart.  I believe that being on a ship with others who have been vaccinated and who have tested negative within 72 hours is as safe as  I can expect.  Those are my opinions.  If you disagree, fine.  But do we really need to go on and on?  I know, I know, some of you think there are other topics more controversial than the handling of Covid.  Let the debate stop right here.

Darn- I thought Cruise Critic was a forum where people could discuss topics of interest freely and if the topic did not interest you, you could "turn off the channel" and not see it. I guess I was wrong again!!

• Like 6

Right now there are still a lot of unknown with both COVID and the vaccine.  I would hope the cruise companies would use some basic risk identification/mitigation for getting ready to sail again.  What is the likelihood of an outbreak on the ship during a cruise and what are the consequences.  Even with a very low likelihood of COVID infections on a ship, the consequences (as we have seen in the past) can be significant.  So I can perfectly understand cruise lines only wanting vaccinated passengers/crew in the near future. The sooner the cruise line starts sailing, the higher ( how ever slight) the likelihood of an infection. I could also imagine that after a certain amount of time (and effective treatment for COVID widely available) the inoculation requirements could change.

As for inoculation "passports", for some reason there is an opinion that these will be forged, and no good way to verify if one card is authentic and another one is forged.  Some type of easy verification of inoculation would be helpful, but not sure if this is a short term fix that is needed or will be with us for awhile.

I really want to go on a cruise and I will show my inoculation in what ever way the cruise line comes up with.

43 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Darn- I thought Cruise Critic was a forum where people could discuss topics of interest freely and if the topic did not interest you, you could "turn off the channel" and not see it. I guess I was wrong again!!

Just noticed that we are neighbors .

When we got our vaccinations, we were given a CDC form listing vaccine type and dates of both shots. We are keeping them safe and secure, even though nobody told us to do so. We are in the process of renewing our passports right now. We can’t see anything on the renewal forms about vaccinations. The conclusion is there is no such thing as a “vaccine passport”. If there were, we would get them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

When we got our vaccinations, we were given a CDC form listing vaccine type and dates of both shots. We are keeping them safe and secure, even though nobody told us to do so. We are in the process of renewing our passports right now. We can’t see anything on the renewal forms about vaccinations. The conclusion is there is no such thing as a “vaccine passport”. If there were, we would get them.

In NYS they have established a sort of passport, in conjunction with large venues  such as stadiums and Broadway theaters. 

You apply for the excelsior pass if you’re fully vaccinated. You type in the control number of your vaccines plus your other pertinent info. If it matches up with what the state ALREADY KNOWS, you’ll get a pass with a bar code. You use this bar code to enter. Same as with negative Covid tests. 

Nobody is forced to get one of these passes. Stay home if you want. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

In NYS they have established a sort of passport, in conjunction with large venues  such as stadiums and Broadway theaters. 

You apply for the excelsior pass if you’re fully vaccinated. You type in the control number of your vaccines plus your other pertinent info. If it matches up with what the state ALREADY KNOWS, you’ll get a pass with a bar code. You use this bar code to enter. Same as with negative Covid tests. 

Nobody is forced to get one of these passes. Stay home if you want. 

That sounds really good for venues that want to enforce this kind of restriction. Might work for churches as well.

I  am suggesting there is a distinction between requiring a vaccination, and a vaccination passport. A vaccination passport in the  US is nonexistent att present and would seem to rely on a central US registry of vaccinations. if this exists in the US, a company without a central healthcare system, someone please tell me because it doesn't appear that we even have that information for our state. Requiring one be vaccinated is another matter, as well as what evidence would be accepted as proof, under what conditions.

22 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Secure or not, it is what the cruise lines are asking for when they resume cruising. I think that there SHOULD be a COVID passport and people should NOT be allowed on planes, cruise ships, etc. without it. 

Not to start an argument (since we already have been vaccinated) but don't you think that having to get such a passport could also be the start of having to show proof of, say, vaccination  for other illnesses (such as the flu) in order to gain access to any venue? 

1 minute ago, Kwaj girl said:

Not to start an argument (since we already have been vaccinated) but don't you think that having to get such a passport could also be the start of having to show proof of, say, vaccination  for other illnesses (such as the flu) in order to gain access to any venue? 

I think any private institution can choose whom to serve. Same for public (public schools requiring vaccinations comes to mind). I can choose not to be vaccinated...that's my right. I am aware my choice may mean I am limited in other areas.....just like many choices people make in their lives. I would have a major issue if someone told me that I HAD to be vaccinated...but that isn't the case here. We do not have an inherent right to do anything we want to nor do we have a right to engage in behavior or choices that might hurt others.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I think any private institution can choose whom to serve. Same for public (public schools requiring vaccinations comes to mind). I can choose not to be vaccinated...that's my right. I am aware my choice may mean I am limited in other areas.....just like many choices people make in their lives. I would have a major issue if someone told me that I HAD to be vaccinated...but that isn't the case here. We do not have an inherent right to do anything we want to nor do we have a right to engage in behavior or choices that might hurt others.

But this is what concerns me....could happen here!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/03/02/fact-check-israel-launching-green-pass-covid-19-vaccinated/6871965002/

2 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Yes, it could happen here....it wouldn't surprise me at all. But what exactly is happening? According to that link, "The domestic passport, also known as a "Green Pass," provides people who have been fully vaccinated some freedom from COVID-19 safety restrictions. "

Do you object to people who have been fully vaccinated gaining some freedom from safety restrictions....or do you object to non-vaccinated people not having the same freedoms?

Or, do you object to differentiation between those who have been vaccinated and those who have not?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

Yes, it could happen here....it wouldn't surprise me at all. But what exactly is happening? According to that link, "The domestic passport, also known as a "Green Pass," provides people who have been fully vaccinated some freedom from COVID-19 safety restrictions. "

Do you object to people who have been fully vaccinated gaining some freedom from safety restrictions....or do you object to non-vaccinated people not having the same freedoms?

Or, do you object to differentiation between those who have been vaccinated and those who have not?

No objections for those of us who HAVE been vaccinated and can prove it....but let's say that grocery stores require such a passport for entry - how would someone unable to show a passport (or other proof) be able to obtain basic necessities such as food?

"Passport", vaccination card, or not.... I would see a problem with safety restriction enforcement if vaccinated people, for example, did NOT have to wear a mask but those who could not prove their status DID have to wear a mask.  What a fiasco - think about that one on board an airplane.  I understand that airlines could always require a mask since they are a private enterprise, but ...

(I better stop now...)

Y'all are hilarious.  Missing completely from your comments is the fact that, as children, both you and your offspring were vaccinated for polio, pertussis, mmr, measles, chickenpox, etc, etc.  Those records still exist and can be accessed by proper authorities.

Adding a covid vaccination to your personal record seems rather insignificant.

As with covid, there were some who did not receive their inoculations for school and that fact was noted so that their education could continue.  Your rejection or acceptance of a covid vaccination seems of little consequence in the larger picture of national vaccinations of various types.

So you are free to choose to have or not have the covid vaccine.  It will be noted somewhere, whether you have a vaccine ID of sorts or not.

As someone already said, the authorities know way more than we think they do, and if they don't, your credit card company does.

Edited by thinfool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Ya. We are in Stone Canyon neighbor!!

I walk up (3.5-4 mi )there several times a week very nice area and quiet so I can listen to Sirius radio. We are at Splendido 8.5 yrs, yes I can still walk !😀 Splendido is a CCRC but we are a young and active at 77.

1 hour ago, captjohn said:

I walk up (3.5-4 mi )there several times a week very nice area and quiet so I can listen to Sirius radio. We are at Splendido 8.5 yrs, yes I can still walk !😀 Splendido is a CCRC but we are a young and active at 77.

You go guy!! I will wave when we go by your place.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 3:36 PM, Wizpharm2 said:

For those that advocate/support a “COVID PASSPORT” can you explain why? 

Cruises can require proof of vaccination without the government requiring a passport that may be a violation of the US Constitution...it will certainly wind up in US courts if we move to implement one.

For decades the Cruise line have required the "yellow fever" Vaccine card for travel to certain countries.   No one ever sued over them. How would a covid card be different?

Additionally, the Cruise lines have always had the discretion not to board (and to forcibly debark)  any passenger they deemed too ill or infirm. They don't allow pregnant women to board past a certain stage.  They can make up almost any rule they want concerning the contract in this regard. There is no constitutional right to cruise!! (My DW would argue that point 😉 )

J

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 7:36 PM, MomC said:

I know of no topic in the last 20+ years that has brought the amount of controversy as that of Covid.  Could you just knock it off?  ...................  Let the debate stop right here.

Topic...... Tipping 🙂

J

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/30/2021 at 2:04 PM, Scout16 said:

I know people who can make all the "COVID passports" you want. 

I think the percentage of people with counterfeit vaccine cards will be small enough that they probably will not seriously endanger the otherwise 100% vaccinated people on board, or wherever they are going that requires proof of vaccination.  The people put at the most risk by such behavior will be the ones with the counterfeit vaccine cards.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I think the percentage of people with counterfeit vaccine cards will be small enough that they probably will not seriously endanger the otherwise 100% vaccinated people on board, or wherever they are going that requires proof of vaccination.  The people put at the most risk by such behavior will be the ones with the counterfeit vaccine cards.

You can make them with a $200 scanner/photocopier and card stock....not exactly the depths of the underworld. Can anyone make me a fake ID that says I am 21? Those would be some skills...

• Haha 1

In Georgia all vaccines given at any location are to be downloaded into the public health depts GRITS website. Parents of kids may be aware of this, most adults not. Any vaccination given to you since 2004 in Georgia anywhere is to be recorded on the website. You can request a copy of your record. I did this a few years back when curious if really up to date and it was.  I suspected most if not all states have a record that is similar. A quick google search should give you the answer.m

Private companies have been involved with your health choices for years. The hospital I retired from last year was one of the first in the country to do drug including nicotine test prior to hiring. A positive nicotine test made you a no hire. It was a hard one to cheat on as nicotine stayed in your body for 30 days after smoking. Yes, lawsuits came and hospital system won.