The Daily for Friday Apr 02, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

I don’t eat peanut butter very often anymore but it was a staple when I was in school and I always used honey. 

Blessed Good Friday to everyone celebrating. 

I will pass on the meal suggestion, we are having leftovers tonight. 

We have not been to today’s port but it looks lovely. 

I am having a few side effects from my vaccine yesterday, mostly tired, I slept in until 10:00. And I feel like I could just curl up under the covers right now. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15

Maria and I got our first shot of Moderna anti-Covid three weeks ago. Should get a call for No. 2 next week. Just a little soreness in the upper left arm which went away after three days and putting a bit of peanut butter & jelly on it 😉 

• Like 20
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

The big question is, will Willem Alexander and Maxima's oldest daughter, HRH Princess Catharina-Amalia, the heir apparent to the throne, christen Rotterdam VII?? 😉

I'll keep you posted on that, @Copper10-8, since I'm booked on the christening voyage....whenever that sails, doubtful if it'll really go on Aug 1.  However, I also purchased the CPP.   Why?  Because I'll need an out in case they name Oprah as the godmother.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 10
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I'll keep you posted on that, @Copper10-8, since I'm booked on the christening voyage....whenever that sails, doubtful if it'll really go on Aug 1.  However, I also purchased the CCP.   Why?  Because I'll need an out in case they name Oprah as the godmother.

The crown princess would be an excellent choice and would follow a long tradition! (also not a Godmother Oprah fan) Enjoy that voyage! We thought real hard about booking that one - some very good people on that cruise. They recently announced her take-out captain as Werner Timmers (far right in the pic)

HAL Captain Werner Timmers.jpg

• Like 15

This has turned out to be a busy day.  We did get new batteries installed in the cars, and since we had to go about 22 miles to the big box store, it took awhile.  Just as I was looking at my pictures of Dominica, neighbors dropped by for a visit, since all of us have had both shots.  It was nice catching up with them after our five months in Arizona.

@Divi  Glad you got your first shot.  Great news about the 3 year old boy.

@kazu Miko and Marley look very happy on the snow free deck.

@Gsel Good to see you back on the Daily.  Glad your DH got a place in the nursing home and is settling in.  Take care of yourself, too.

Congratulations to all the others who are getting their shots.  The more the merrier.

We were in Dominica in 2006 on the old Regal Princess.  Since we did b2bs from FLL to Manaus and back, we stopped there twice.  Both times we rented a car and toured the island.  The second time we drove out to the aerial tram only to find out that all the spaces were booked by the ship.  Still we had a great day both times.

The first three pictures are of Roseau, both in town at the shopping area and from the ship as we sailed.

IMG_0094.thumb.JPG.cb873509a3f15262ed836eb85134dd47.JPG

IMG_0095.thumb.JPG.a98a1c828137220cba8b489771537182.JPG

IMG_0097.thumb.JPG.6c5749c7afefac15b81951608e70741c.JPG

On our second stop, we stopped at a beach to get something to drink and to enjoy the view.

IMG_0668.thumb.JPG.68b3ac14d2bf5d20012daf0abf848a4b.JPG

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.38290c51abf3ca08d0f665cb7f2ded2f.JPG

There was a beautiful sunset as we sailed and we tried to get a picture of the green flash.  I don't remember if we saw the green flash or not, but here are just a couple of pictures of the sunset.

IMG_0692.thumb.JPG.c7cb32977180c920c760551d4f9b33f3.JPG

IMG_0696.thumb.JPG.4a5476a17818fbc5bb15a0e5fb47fa43.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21

7 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Is that the Captain’s Toast?

Nope, that's the captain's fire extinguisher..................

If you find yourselves in the first five rows of the showroom, you'll be in the splash zone, just like Sea World

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Sort of, but still not recommended at this stage.

I am quoting cruisemom42 from another thread here:

CDC advisories still say travelers should avoid all travel to a number of destinations (Level 4) that cruise ships would be sailing to within the next couple of months and even more would fall into that group if you include Level 3 (avoid all non-essential travel).

Some Level 4 countries: Antigua, Greece, Aruba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Israel, St. Lucia, St. Martin, Italy, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Turks & Caicos, Martinique, Curacao, Mexico, etc.”

But it is encouraging if and when countries open up and if and when travel advisories are lifted 😉 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It takes a while to turn a ship, this is the first indication of a recognition of the effectiveness and acceptance of the vaccine.    

(Bolding mine)

Is that a quote from the captain of the Ever Given?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Good evening all!

Late to check in, left Branson this morning to head to Bentonville AR to visit the Crystal Bridges Museum (one of my favorites). Spending the night at the Hotel 21C which is also a museum. So far my favorite installation is in the corner of the lobby-a treadmill with a large tumbleweed setting on it. (Love that message, do treadmills feel lonely?)

I have been to Dominica several times. Like others I have done Trafalgar Falls. I always stick a rain poncho or jacket in my pack for shore excursions. Twice I have forgotten. Both times it rained. Our guide to the falls had pointed out the clouds on the horizon, but said no real rain was expected. By the time we reached the falls it was pouring down. Some enterprising local ladies were selling plastic ponchos which I was glad to purchase. Somewhere I have a picture of my oldest DD and myself looking like drowned rats. I will attest to the unevenness of the steps. Going up was bad, coming down even worse as the rain obscured my view and the steps were really slick. I had tucked my camera in my pocket under the poncho, didn’t realize it fell out! Fortunately a fellow cruiser saw it fall, rescued it and caught up to me, what a save! Hard to believe, one of the young girls on our excursion did those treacherous steps in flip flops.

We are off to dinner soon at the hotel restaurant “The Hive”. It is known for it’s “high south” cooking?!? All I know is my vegetarian daughters will be limited because the menu is pretty heavy on meat. Although Arkansas has eliminated all mask mandates, this hotel requires them, took our temperature on arrival, asked us some Covid questions, provides hand sanitizers and wipes in the room and allows 2 days between guests in each room. I feel fairly good about traveling since I am also fully vaccinated.

Wish I could share pictures from Dominica, have none here on my IPad. 

Take care all. Prayers for those in need of them, celebrating the good things with all of you. Happy Easter.

St Louis Sal

• Like 12

This really turned out a red letter day.  Not only did our our neighbors stop by, this afternoon but after more than a year, our next door neighbors came over for happy hour,.  She and I grew up together, and we’ve known each other so long we don’t remember when we met.  It was either in first grade or before at church.  It was good to be able to visit again.  And we could celebrate that we all had our full vaccine doses.

Lenda

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Yay!  That's what we got, too.  But, like @bennybear, we will be waiting 4 months for our second shot, just hoping it comes sooner.

I got Pfizer too but in Washington and Oregon we only waited 21 days and that felt like a long time to me. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow!  What a difference!  I didn’t know that.  Thank you 🙂 

When I moved from Minneapolis to a small town in Iowa in 1978 I was surprised.  I made out the weekly work schedule for my staff and, of course, incuded Friday.  The staff asked if we were open all day on Friday as they usually were not.  They always close from noon to 3PM they said.   All of the stores do, they told me.  So, after getting approval from the district manager, I redid the schedule. I don't know when this custom changed here, but I know it was before 1993 for my store.  I don't think any stores close on Friday anymore. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, lindaler said:

I got Pfizer too but in Washington and Oregon we only waited 21 days and that felt like a long time to me. 

In Arizona, it was three weeks between the first and second shot for Pfizer, and four weeks between shots for Moderna.

Lenda

• Like 4

@GselHugs to you and your husband.  Alzheimers is an awful disease.  It is so hard on the caregivers.  My Dad suffers from it, so far we have kept him home with his wife but eventually we will have to seek other arrangements. 

I had looked forward to retirement and traveling with Dad and his wife.  He had worked all over the Northwest and loved to show us "the roads" he helped build!  We did manage to do an Alaska cruise before his memory really started to slip, the time we spent was priceless.

He did make me laugh today when I visited, I asked to take home some Vodka as I am making some Vanilla extract from Vanilla Beans and have never purchased Vodka (He hasn't drank any in 10 years but still had a bottle in the cupboard)  He started laughing and said "my Vodka?" It made me laugh as it was more then he has spoken in a long while!

Today hubby and I were able to get our 2nd Covid vaccination, so far just an achy arm, but hubby is feeling chilled.

Wishing you all a Blessed Easter!

Take Care,

Denise

• Like 10

16 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Good Friday Daily, Rich.  Reconciliation is something most of us can use.  I'll pass on both the Hoagie and PBJ.  Nietzsche certainly had a point.  I don't specifically remember Roseau but am sure I've been there.  For the next month or so my alternate meal choices will include a 2014 World Cruise segment on MS Amsterdam from Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale.  At the time I did not get desert menus and was not yet taking pictures so my entries will be a bit sketchy.  April 2, 2014 was our first sea day and my suggestion is Maple Fruit Melange and Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breast.

Today's care list:

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

St. Louis Cruiser DMIL

Rest in Peace Krazy Kruizers

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Baseball opening day

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates                
Front Line Health Care Workers

Good visit of StLouisCruiser with DMIL

First jab for ger_77

Second jab for SharoninAZ

Nieuw Statendam coming to Everglades Saturday

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

I am very angry for Major League Baseball for taking the All Star Game out of Atlanta.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Maria and I got our first shot of Moderna anti-Covid three weeks ago. Should get a call for No. 2 next week. Just a little soreness in the upper left arm which went away after three days and putting a bit of peanut butter & jelly on it 😉 

I am not getting the shot ,PERIOD