The Daily for Saturday Apr 17, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, all! What a good collection of days! On Salt Spring, on summer days the yard is full of swallows swooping and diving as they chase mosquitos. At dusk, the swallows disappear and are replaced by bats swooping the same pattern and performing the same service. It’s like having a day shift and night shift of mosquito protection. We put out a bird bath so the swallows can drink, and I suppose the bats use it as well. I’m one of the amateur herbalists in the group. DH has learned to ask before he knocks down random weeds in the garden. Too often it has turned out to be a prized herb I have spent several years nursing to maturity. He is indeed much appreciated, and the love of my life. If having an amazing life partner costs me the odd plant here and there, it’s a small price to pay.

Its yet another beautiful day going into the weekend. So I will wish you all a Happy Saturday, and sit outside with a coffee dreaming of a BHB.

3500EEC1-D5F6-45C6-9FA0-8917B4FF5F9A.thumb.jpeg.d7c9b361cf994d14c35c0a58ad98390a.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

I just finished watching Prince Philip's funeral, too.  Nice to see Harry and William walking back to the Castle after leaving the Chapel.  It would be nice if they could talk their differences out.

Reminds me of our visits to Windsor Castle in the past.  i see the little gift shop was very discreet today with no signs of a retail space there at all.  I wrote my friend an email and asked if she was watching it.  They went with us on one of tours of Windsor Castle and she said they were just talking about that day so my ears were no doubt ringing, according to her.  

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I just finished watching Prince Philip's funeral, too.  Nice to see Harry and William walking back to the Castle after leaving the Chapel.  It would be nice if they could talk their differences out.

I watched the funeral too.  The music was lovely.

Funerals are a time to reflect and forgive.  I hope William and Harry can be friends again.

• Like 15

Good morning all!

Another beautiful day here in the PNW which means I will be gardening again. 

I will pass on the bats -- some of your stories about bats -- yikes!  @ger_77I'm not sure I could stand not being able to hold and pet my cat for that long!  and pass on the meal, we had quite a bit of ham around Easter.  But I always appreciate herbalists and of course have appreciated DH for almost 52 years.  The drink and wine both sound good today.

Never have been to Ulvik, and it isn't one of our 8 Norway ports for next year either.  I hope someone has been and can share photos.

Who couldn't appreciate a DH who buys and wears a shirt like this on a cruise?!?  

320826718_Googleshirt.thumb.jpg.03a412fcf2e95b6c5781dc0a075d0c35.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another beautiful day here in the PNW which means I will be gardening again. 

I will pass on the bats -- some of your stories about bats -- yikes!  @ger_77I'm not sure I could stand not being able to hold and pet my cat for that long!  and pass on the meal, we had quite a bit of ham around Easter.  But I always appreciate herbalists and of course have appreciated DH for almost 52 years.  The drink and wine both sound good today.

Never have been to Ulvik, and it isn't one of our 8 Norway ports for next year either.  I hope someone has been and can share photos.

Who couldn't appreciate a DH who buys and wears a shirt like this on a cruise?!?  

320826718_Googleshirt.thumb.jpg.03a412fcf2e95b6c5781dc0a075d0c35.jpg

I've seen that shirt before and it really tickles me when someone wears one.  So funny!!

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've seen that shirt before and it really tickles me when someone wears one.  So funny!!

DH has one of those shirts 😉. And he bought it, not I 😉 

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Good morning Rich and great day for herbs, bats, and husbands.. my sweet husband is my moon and stars.

Roy, my sweet sisters and fellow Daily-ites a happy Saturday to y'all. I've been watching Prince Phillips funeral and it was certainly touching. 

Today will be a chilly 60ish. We have a scavenger hunt this afternoon,  prizes, snacks and drinks and a 5 pm concert. Hoping the weather cooperates!

Have a lovely Saturday. Prayers, Cheers, and Peace.

• Like 18

Just finished watching the funeral and getting a late Saturday start now.

Thank You for the Daily!✏️

I am blessed with a husband who also is interested in travel. ❤️

We haven't been to Ulvik, Norway but visited a nice collection of cities in Norway (May 2017) from the Rotterdam ship. 🛳️

Love Cuba Libre or just a rum in coke--especially the brand "Flor de Cana" which we discovered after a visit to the distillery in Nicaragua from a ship's tour.

A special treat was going to La Vitrola nightclub in Havana (one of the last times Royal Caribbean ships were allowed to sail to Cuba from FL) I almost ordered a Cuba Libre and thought the better of it and had a Mojito instead, LOL. 😁

🙏 Prayers to all in need. 🙏

download.jpeg

FB_IMG_1606230930273.jpg

FB_IMG_1573345075935.jpg

• Like 20

I have just started watching the funeral, so nobody tell me how it ends!😉

Good morning, all, and thanks to Rich, Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies!  Happy there is good news from Jacqui and the care and celebration lists are on my mind. D H knows  he is appreciated, but I will remind him today!  Also, there are a few chores for him on the list.  I appreciate bats, too, but have to question their use as a food source...

• Like 20

Good morning to everyone. Got up early this morning to get the dog walks in so that I could watch the funeral without interruption. Lovely service in a spectacular setting. I always liked to visit Windsor when I was visiting my cousin. Have not been there now for many years.

There was actually a little snow on the ground when I first went out, but now it is gone and so, I suspect, are any chances of our getting more moisture. I probably need to take my car to the car wash and see if that will bring rain.

I am not a great fan of bats, but when I was doing archaeological work near Carlsbad I used to drag my students out to see the bats leave or return to the caverns (the students were not always appreciative - particularly in the early morning for the return). We have some bats that hang around our condos - as long as they leave me alone, I leave them alone.

Susan

• Like 18

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

Bats 🦇 are a big deal in Tucson, they migrate from Mexico in the spring and roost under the major bridges that cross the Rillito and Santa Cruz Rivers and the Pantano Wash.  They come out at sunset and create quite a show. I’ve seen it happen several times, usually driving home from work (when I was working at a doctors office).  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kgun9.com/lifestyle/totally-tucson/watch-thousands-of-bats-take-flight-in-tucson%3f_amp=true

And if you are interested here is more information about the bats:  https://www.library.pima.gov/content/bats-in-tucson/

I don’t think I could cook without herbs, they are essential in a lot of my recipes. And I appreciate DH most days 😉

The meal suggestion sounds good but not for today. I didn’t make my potato pie yesterday because Craig decided to make crepes for a meal this weekend and monopolized the kitchen for too long. But I’m not complaining, at least he’s cooking!

The Cubra Libre was DH’s first cocktail and it’s different variations were always his choice until he discovered the Negroni. 

I forgot to record Prine Philip’s service but I found it on YouTube so will watch it later. 

We haven’t been to today’s port. Hopefully someone has pictures to share. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is ........................... and Husband Appreciation Day....................................

Just a bit of humor............

Hilarious Husband And Wife Jokes 2018 | Funny Jokes About Married Life -  YouTube

Funny Picture jokes of the day |

More husband/wife jokes : boomershumor

funny: Funny Jokes For Adults Clean Short

Why Men Are NotAllowed SoMEONE FROM THE GTYNA COLLEGES CALLED THEY SALD THE PABST  BEER IS NORMAL DIDNT EVEN KNOW YOU LIKED BEER MT | Beer Meme on ME.ME

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 15
  • Haha 11

Well, so far we have had no cruisers who have been to Ulvik, Norway.   I was hoping we would have at least one of us post photos.  🙂 

So instead I will show a couple of photos taken between Geiranger and Narvik on a beautiful sea day, June 24, 2016.  After dinner that night the Prinsendam stopped so Captain D. D. could send the photographers out on a rescue vessel to take some lovely photos of the ship.  We had arrived north of the Arctic Circle and we were having a beautiful calm evening so why not enjoy the weather and do something a little different?  

Here is the rescue boat settling into the water.enhance

And here he is on his outside bridge wing keeping an eye on the proceedings.enhance

This was at about 11 pm and as you can see, when the Captain makes an announcement like this, everyone hurries outside to get involved in the fun.enhance

The view that night.enhance

Plus the photographers getting their work done.enhance

enhance

When all of a sudden we see a fishing trawler heading our way.  enhance

Perhaps he had called our ship to ask if all was well since here we were, just sitting dead in the water.  Being a very friendly ship master, Captain D. D. invited them to come a little closer and pick up a nice gift from our ship.  They quickly lowered the small boat attached to the side of their vessel and headed our way.enhance

Do you see the little container on the right side of the photo, that was lowered down to these fishermen?  Captain handed them down a few bottles of wine from the bridge as a gift.  You can see their reaction!enhance

I'm sure a good time was had by all aboard the Eros that night!enhance

Another reason why that cruise remains in the top 2 of our favorite cruises ever.

• Like 27

Good morning and thanks all!   Also just finished watching the funeral.  Appreciation of husbands seems very appropriate today! 

The  discussion of rum reminds me of our visit to St Lucia,  complete with spiced rum.   Both DH and I got stung by jelly fish and I applied the spiced rum topically, DH internally!  My bites healed in less than a week,  you could still see the stings for nearly a month on DH.  He didn’t want to waste good rum!  🤷‍♀️

Almost summer today, snow tomorrow!  But another sight of spring!  The DH of mrs bluebird! 

A570E20D-8EEB-4206-8F37-C6975F4A1AAF.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24

I watched the wonderful funeral service without interruption this morning. Seeing the Queen sitting alone with her mask on just made my heart bleed for her. She certainly appreciated her husband for over 70 years.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

We also watched the funeral.  I thought under the circumstances, it hit the right note between tradition and the more simple non-state service Prince Phillip wanted. DH was interested in seeing the modified Land Rover.

We had a LR Defender in the 1970s which we took down the beach on Padre Island when we lived in Corpus Christi.  We also took it to Big Bend to do the backroads.  While that was not a particularly comfortable vehicle, it was rugged.

In summer, Austin also has a colony of Mexican free-tail bats that roosts under the Congress Street bridge over the Colorado River.  People gather every evening to watch the bats 🦇 fly out to hunt for insects.

Since our temperatures are still in the 50sF, I decided it is a good day to make pizza  🍕 for dinner along with wine.  🍷

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17

Good Morning from the Left Coast and Good Day to everyone else in other time zones 😊

Thanks for the Daily Rich!! ❤️

I do appreciate my Husband and the Cuba Libre is one of his go to drinks.

Another beautiful sunny day here in the city of slots.

We were up early to watch the funeral. I agree my heart goes out to the Queen the the whole Royal Family. I did my usual 3+ miles on the treadmill. Thankfully I am 33 pounds less than I was a year ago. I had decided I was not going to let the Pandemic put weight on me.

Hope Everyone has a wonderful weekend!!!

• Like 22

20 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Morning from the Left Coast and Good Day to everyone else in other time zones 😊

Thanks for the Daily Rich!! ❤️

I do appreciate my Husband and the Cuba Libre is one of his go to drinks.

Another beautiful sunny day here in the city of slots.

We were up early to watch the funeral. I agree my heart goes out to the Queen the the whole Royal Family. I did my usual 3+ miles on the treadmill. Thankfully I am 33 pounds less than I was a year ago. I had decided I was not going to let the Pandemic put weight on me.

Hope Everyone has a wonderful weekend!!!

Good work in not adding pandemic pounds, but also losing pounds.

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thankfully I am 33 pounds less than I was a year ago. I had decided I was not going to let the Pandemic put weight on me.

Good for you, LIsa 👍 Well done!

• Like 10