Favorite HAL Presenters & Cruise Directors

Btimmer

Usually, my only pleasant interaction with cruise directors is during trivia. I'm with bopster and ger_77,Mario Vines was my favorite, ran an excellent game, although he disallowed my 'door hinge' as a rhyme for 'orange'. He also sang a great rendition of Mustang Sally in the piano bar, despite Seattle's ban on cruise director performances.

I have to disagree with those who preferred Bruce Scudder. He ran trivia like a school marm. "When everyone is quiet, we'll begin. When everyone is quiet we will begin."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, whogo said:

I have to disagree with those who preferred Bruce Scudder. He ran trivia like a school marm.

On the 2008 world cruise, he assigned this job to an assistant staff member who was totally unqualified for that position.  Nearly daily, he lost control of the sessions with his poor human relation skills along with "correct" trivia answers that most junior high school students would tell you that's the wrong answer.

That situation was made worse when someone managed to steal the folder with the trivia sheets and a new "edition" had to be created--I guess from online.  

Bruce ranks near the bottom of my list of CDs whom I have experienced.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sppunk said:

For entertainment, Diane Fast is/was the best piano bar player. She beats the socks off anyone. 

I have never experienced any better in that position.

Perry Grant is #2.  He performed on both HAL as well as Celebrity.  His "shtick" can become tiresome night after night.  But, there are other venues to visit when that happens.   Initially, and whether it is still an important part of his act, I don't know, but Judy Garland's memory has been of much benefit to him.  Regardless of what thinks of his act, I have enjoyed his performances and is one of the very few performers who had a CD that I purchased.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, whogo said:

I have to disagree with those who preferred Bruce Scudder. He ran trivia like a school marm. "When everyone is quiet, we'll begin. When everyone is quiet we will begin."

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

On the 2008 world cruise, he assigned this job to an assistant staff member who was totally unqualified for that position.  Nearly daily, he lost control of the sessions with his poor human relation skills along with "correct" trivia answers that most junior high school students would tell you that's the wrong answer.

That situation was made worse when someone managed to steal the folder with the trivia sheets and a new "edition" had to be created--I guess from online.  

Bruce ranks near the bottom of my list of CDs whom I have experienced.  

Interesting, I had no idea; I guess that was before we joined the trivia players on HAL ships.  I can understand your feelings about him.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I have a feeling sometimes it's a matter of fit as much as innate talent.  I am thinking of one pair of cruises in 2017.  In February I boarded the Koningsdam for a 10-day Caribbean Cruise.  While I was interested in the cruise it was somewhat a throwaway as my major incentive was to get out of the Northeast well before leaving on a South American cruise out of Buenos Aires and be on a non-stop out of Miami instead of a connection out of Baltimore.  We had a Location Guide who I thought was likely the least of any I had encountered and he seemed to be almost mechanically going through the motions.  He had indicated indicated he would be leaving the ship in Aruba as he was being transferred to another ship.

I flew to Buenos Aires for a cruise on the Crystal Serenity and a visit to Iguazu before boarding the Zaandam for a 32-day cruise to San Diego.  When I stepped off the gangway in Montevideo at the bottom landing was the same Location Guide who had been on the Koningsdam.  Ryan Baird's talks were not just about the ports but also the historical and cultural backgrounds, geology, and just about anything relevant to the areas we were traveling and his lectures were always packed.  He went from the least to the best in practically an instant.  He was poorly suited to one set of circumstances but spectacular in another.

I understand that a year later  he had been promoted to Cruise Director.

Roy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Interesting, I had no idea; I guess that was before we joined the trivia players on HAL ships.  I can understand your feelings about him.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

I have a few other reasons concerning his job as CD other than trivia.  No need to elaborate them on this thread, I don't think.  

• Like 1

Anyone remember Ian Page?  He was a member of the staff that provided scenic cruising commentary as well as port talks.  Well informed and interesting commentary; first met him on the Rotterdam's VOV.  Sailing in the Greenland, Iceland area, I recall we had a gentleman who was from that area who provided commentary.  Ian's comments and observations added to those significantly.

Ian was the Cruise and Travel Director on the Volendam's 2019/2020 Christmas/New Year's Cruise and did a stellar job in that role as well.  

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Anyone remember Ian Page?  He was a member of the staff that provided scenic cruising commentary as well as port talks.  Well informed and interesting commentary; first met him on the Rotterdam's VOV.  Sailing in the Greenland, Iceland area, I recall we had a gentleman who was from that area who provided commentary.  Ian's comments and observations added to those significantly.

Ian was the Cruise and Travel Director on the Volendam's 2019/2020 Christmas/New Year's Cruise and did a stellar job in that role as well.  

I remember him well. He was on the KDAM inaugural and several other voyages as well. A true gentleman.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 5:18 PM, 1ANGELCAT said:

Captain Albert for HAL history. I’ve had several great CD over the years. Dave Shea and JT Waters come to mind

JT was our very first CD. He used to have a phrase that we still say today. Every morning after giving highlights of the days events he would end with "It's your cruise, do all of it or do none of it"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned that Barbara Haenni, HAL presenter extraordinar passed away yesterday.  Barbara was known for her in-depth knowledge of ports of call.  She will be missed.

I have to wonder if anyone knew! I am so sorry to read this. Barbara was so conscientious, and worked hard at her presentations. She was very, very good. 

Thank you for letting us know.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned that Barbara Haenni, HAL presenter extraordinar passed away yesterday.  Barbara was known for her in-depth knowledge of ports of call.  She will be missed.

So sad and shocking to hear of her sudden passing 😞 Worked with her on several contracts mostly on Amsterdam's GWY. So fantastic at her job, caring and personable. Who can forget Barbara as the "Pirate Mum" during the Neptune ceremonies? Rest in Peace Barbara! You will be terribly missed!

May be an image of 2 people, including Barbara Lee Haenni

May be an image of 2 people

May be an image of 1 person

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am is very sorry to hear about Barbara.  We were on many cruises with her and we always found her very knowledgeable about ports throughout the world and so very friendly and helpful.   The only Port Lecturer I have traveled with that could top Barbara on my list would be Frank Buckingham.  I could listen to him talk about our ports for hours!  When Barbara took-over Frank's lecture slots when he retired - (Grand Cruises, including the World) I was concerned but she was also terrific - although I did miss Frank's British humor and his honest and worldly perspective on things.

Barbara was retiring after or soon the 2019 WC.  I hope she had time for her life and family which she was so looking forward to spending more time with than cruising allowed.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have a feeling sometimes it's a matter of fit as much as innate talent.  I am thinking of one pair of cruises in 2017.  In February I boarded the Koningsdam for a 10-day Caribbean Cruise.  While I was interested in the cruise it was somewhat a throwaway as my major incentive was to get out of the Northeast well before leaving on a South American cruise out of Buenos Aires and be on a non-stop out of Miami instead of a connection out of Baltimore.  We had a Location Guide who I thought was likely the least of any I had encountered and he seemed to be almost mechanically going through the motions.  He had indicated indicated he would be leaving the ship in Aruba as he was being transferred to another ship.

I flew to Buenos Aires for a cruise on the Crystal Serenity and a visit to Iguazu before boarding the Zaandam for a 32-day cruise to San Diego.  When I stepped off the gangway in Montevideo at the bottom landing was the same Location Guide who had been on the Koningsdam.  Ryan Baird's talks were not just about the ports but also the historical and cultural backgrounds, geology, and just about anything relevant to the areas we were traveling and his lectures were always packed.  He went from the least to the best in practically an instant.  He was poorly suited to one set of circumstances but spectacular in another.

I understand that a year later  he had been promoted to Cruise Director.

Roy

Roy, you are so right!  Ryan was a gem on the Zaandam, which I did the year before.  Several of us invited him to dine with us, in the Canaletto, and he was just as charming off the stage.  One of his 

lectures was the Pacific Ring of Fire, which I learned from and enjoyed.

That is very sad about Barbara Haenni.  I need to look through my travel journals to see which it was -- but Barbara was there working on one of our more recent cruises.  As I recall, she was "pulled out of retirement" or postponed retirement for that cruise.  She was in visibly poor health, yet worked really hard and put a great deal of energy toward her job.  She was a memorable person.  

Rest in peace, Barbara.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 8:22 AM, RuthC said:

Totally agree. He could not only tell you where the best pub in the port was, but who was tending bar the day you were in port! (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration. maybe)

We had some of out best HAL experiences with Frank and the Prinsendam .     I have fond memories of him with his "FiloFax" which had an amazing amount of info on every port. and as Ruth points out always had a suggestion for Lunch or a local cocktail in every port

• Like 2

My favourite CD (so far😉) was Towanna Stone. She was CD on the Princendam on our Amazon Explorer. I met her again on the Noordam after the Princendam left the fleet. She had a real flair for organization, and some days her pre show intro was the best part part of the evening. Does anyone know if she’s still with HAL?

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:24 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

Yes, he absolutely was the port lecturer, or destination guide, whatever they liked to call it.  The pictures of him in my post were taken during that cruise as he was giving his lecture.  I remember him talking about his family's pearl store in Bora Bora and wondered if he was reprimanded for pushing it, especially with the shops on board the ship selling black pearls too.  Competition!

However, it sounds to me from other posters saying he left in the middle of their cruises that he always did that.  With the high ratings guests gave him I'm sure HAL would think twice about canning him.  There was some talk that he failed his company physical though, as you mentioned.

Paki who is the leader of the Hawaiian entertainers told me that Kainoa had been let go because of his weight. So Paki decided to bring him along as part off the entertainment. I met Kainoa on the Mexico and Hawaii cruise in 2013. As for your cruise, he probably gave all the talks he needed to give through the Marquesas. So there was no need for him to stay onboard for the last seven days. He probably wanted to visit with his relatives. Nevertheless, he was one of the best Port Lecturers. And I loved his Hawaiian talks as they were delivered from his heart and not canned talk.  

• Like 2

The news of the passing of Barbara is shocking to me.  I feel like I have lost another friend.  

I am so sorry that her retirement proved to be too short for all of the enjoyment and good she provided for us guests over the years.

Rest in Peace, Barbara.  

No one has mentioned Brett who was the Port Lecturer on the Prinsendam. He and KK were definitely the best Port Lecturers we have had. They were almost as good as Frank Buckingham who was a legend. It was sad that Frank didn’t keep up with technology as I believe that was one of the reasons HAL didn’t renew his contract. Brett’s area of expertise was Europe and he knew it well. He often mentioned little known museums which he obviously had investigated. We actually ran into him while visiting a museum in Copenhagen due to his suggestion. He was shy. But knew his material so well that he didn’t read off this monitor. He was famous for his funny tender photos that he would insert in his talk. KK was the other port lecturer that I like that was as good as Brett. But Kainoa was the best when he was talking about Polynesia.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

My favourite CD (so far😉) was Towanna Stone. She was CD on the Princendam on our Amazon Explorer. I met her again on the Noordam after the Princendam left the fleet. She had a real flair for organization, and some days her pre show intro was the best part part of the evening. Does anyone know if she’s still with HAL?

Stone. She was the CD on our last cruise on Eurodam (Hawaii) in Feb 2019. She had a calming speaking voice and was excellent hosting trivia. 

Kainoa is the ultimate standout port lecturer, we were lucky to have had him on our Incan Empire cruise on Maasdam and Hawaii cruise on Eurodam and it seems to me we had him on one Alaskan cruise as well but can’t remember for certain. 

2 hours ago, Storylady said:

No one has mentioned Brett who was the Port Lecturer on the Prinsendam. He and KK were definitely the best Port Lecturers we have had. They were almost as good as Frank Buckingham who was a legend. It was sad that Frank didn’t keep up with technology as I believe that was one of the reasons HAL didn’t renew his contract. Brett’s area of expertise was Europe and he knew it well. He often mentioned little known museums which he obviously had investigated. We actually ran into him while visiting a museum in Copenhagen due to his suggestion. He was shy. But knew his material so well that he didn’t read off this monitor. He was famous for his funny tender photos that he would insert in his talk. KK was the other port lecturer that I like that was as good as Brett. But Kainoa was the best when he was talking about Polynesia.

I think I know who you're referring to when you mention Brett.  He was outstanding!  We're lucky to have had so many wonderful port lecturers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellbelle said:

Stone. She was the CD on our last cruise on Eurodam (Hawaii) in Feb 2019. She had a calming speaking voice and was excellent hosting trivia. 

Kainoa is the ultimate standout port lecturer, we were lucky to have had him on our Incan Empire cruise on Maasdam and Hawaii cruise on Eurodam and it seems to me we had him on one Alaskan cruise as well but can’t remember for certain. 

Kainoa did Alaska as well, at least in summer 2015 that I know of.