Need advice on med cruise

Chanmc

Hi, I am beginning to plan a graduation trip for our daughter in June 2022. We are looking at possibly a Med cruise but are not frequent cruisers. We did Baltic cruise on Silverseas (work trip for me so we weren't paying) and small Caribbean cruise when daughter was young. Husband and I have been to Italy but daughter has not been to Europe at all. She is avid traveler and explorer though.

Ideally we'd like to go into one city (Spend a few days before cruise) and out of another (same) so I have begun looking at cruises like embarking in Rome, disbarking in Barcelona, etc. but not 100% necessary. We'd like to do somewhere between 7-10 days depending on ports. I very much want to be able to plan our own excursions as I don't want to have to be in large groups. (I know right now bc of COVID, this is limited if allowed at all but hopeful by 2022, that may change). I planned all of our own excursions on Baltic trip including arranging our time in Russia which isn't easy to do.

We'd like a nice cabin as this will be graduation trip but trying to understand sleeping for 3 in a room, do sofa's typically fold out? I have begun to look at Celebrity, MSC and Oceania (although it doesn't seem as appealing for 18 y/o). I just don't know much about the cruise lines in Europe.

Any feedback and thoughts would be great - I love doing research on TA and appreciate comments from experts.

We loved embarking in Barcelona it is less than 30 min from airport and pier in right in town, great city fairly inexpensive hotels and restaurants, Rome is about 90 miles from where the ship docks. MSC is a good cruise line but Americans will be in the minority in a European cruise if that maters. Celebrity is a good choice ship and line doesn’t matter as much as for some cruises since you spend so much time in port, long days and very few sea days. Athens is another good choice for embarking or disembarking.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chanmc said:

Hi, I am beginning to plan a graduation trip for our daughter in June 2022. We are looking at possibly a Med cruise but are not frequent cruisers. We did Baltic cruise on Silverseas (work trip for me so we weren't paying) and small Caribbean cruise when daughter was young. Husband and I have been to Italy but daughter has not been to Europe at all. She is avid traveler and explorer though.

Ideally we'd like to go into one city (Spend a few days before cruise) and out of another (same) so I have begun looking at cruises like embarking in Rome, disbarking in Barcelona, etc. but not 100% necessary. We'd like to do somewhere between 7-10 days depending on ports. I very much want to be able to plan our own excursions as I don't want to have to be in large groups. (I know right now bc of COVID, this is limited if allowed at all but hopeful by 2022, that may change). I planned all of our own excursions on Baltic trip including arranging our time in Russia which isn't easy to do.

We'd like a nice cabin as this will be graduation trip but trying to understand sleeping for 3 in a room, do sofa's typically fold out? I have begun to look at Celebrity, MSC and Oceania (although it doesn't seem as appealing for 18 y/o). I just don't know much about the cruise lines in Europe.

Any feedback and thoughts would be great - I love doing research on TA and appreciate comments from experts.

FWIW: you’ll find families with kids of varying ages on O’s Med and Alaska cruises.

IMO, what type of 18 year old is a more important consideration than age alone. On O that kid would get to meet some very well traveled, accomplished and decorous folks who she may find very interesting - even helpful as she ponders her future. And, the overall ambiance including quality of food and service would be fitting for someone open to broadening their horizons. (Plus they do have some cabins with convertible sofas).

As for ports- Civitavecchia (Rome) at start or end is always a good bet for land add-on. At the other end, it depends on your passion (art, history, etc). Personally, I’d prefer focusing on a single country -like Italy. In fact, I regularly remind contacts at my preferred cruise line that it’s time for a cruise itinerary that includes a circumnavigation of Sicily.

• Like 1

I think the first thing you need to do is decide what ports you/your daughter want to visit.  Since the trip is for her, she should have the major part in the decision.  I suggest you get copies of Rick Steves books Mediterranean Cruise Ports, and Northern European and Scandinavian Cruise ports. Once she has digested them, and made a list of preferred ports, go to cruise timetables.com and choose those ports under Ports of Call.  It will tell you who calls there, and their itineraries.  Pay attention to times in port, as some of the European lines have shorter times in port.  This should help you narrow things down.  EM

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think the first thing you need to do is decide what ports you/your daughter want to visit.  Since the trip is for her, she should have the major part in the decision.  I suggest you get copies of Rick Steves books Mediterranean Cruise Ports, and Northern European and Scandinavian Cruise ports. Once she has digested them, and made a list of preferred ports, go to cruise timetables.com and choose those ports under Ports of Call.  It will tell you who calls there, and their itineraries.  Pay attention to times in port, as some of the European lines have shorter times in port.  This should help you narrow things down.  EM

Reluctantly, I have to somewhat agree with many of Rick Steves recommendations about tourist itineraries since they are focused on locations first and transportation second.

Yet, the fact remains that the Roman Forum is the Roman Forum no matter how you get there.

That said, too many folks who are numbed by the “mass market experience” forget that the ship is “home away from home” and there are vast differences in food quality and service between different cruise industry segments once you return to the ship.

Bottom line: Life is too short for “mediocre” when it involves your well-being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

think the first thing you need to do is decide what ports you/your daughter want to visit.  Since the trip is for her, she should have the major part in the decision.

Totally agree. I wonder what I would have chosen at that age.

I completely agree with including your daughter's thoughts on where to go (with perhaps a light guiding touch, lol).  Some places will fire the imagination in some but leave others completely cold. 

Given the expense of getting to Europe in the first place (and I suspect air travel will continue to be pricey as they tightly control volume, plus you are traveling during the peak annual period), I strongly advise going for as long as you possibly can swing it to maximize your time. A 10-day cruise book-ended by stays in two different ports would be my recommendation.

Some cities really need (require?) more than a port stop. Rome and Florence are two of those. If you start or end in Rome, you may want to take on another couple of days to go to Florence as well.

Or perhaps your daughter has always wanted to go to Paris -- not so easy on a Med cruise, but it could be a stop-over on your way to or from your cruise. Just tossing out ideas to consider.

To me, an ideal starter itinerary would include Rome, Naples, Athens at a minimum. The issue is whether to go more toward a Western Med (e.g., France and Spain) or toward the Eastern Med (Greek isles, Turkey, Adriatic ports like Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor).  Many teens would probably opt for Western Med as it is more familiar from history lessons, but the Eastern Med is extremely rewarding too.

I leave Venice as a question mark. Seeing it on a cruise may not be as easy as in the past, now that it appears most cruise ships will be banned from embarking in Venice proper. If Venice is high on the list, I again would consider going from Rome to Florence and then on to Venice by use of the easy high-speed trains in Italy.  

25 minutes ago, clo said:

Totally agree. I wonder what I would have chosen at that age.

On my first trip to Europe at 14 with my parents, I fell in love with Florence (what 14-year-old girl doesn't love Florence?).  Of course, I adored most of Italy -- especially Assisi. I was determined to buy something on via Condotti (the designer shopping street in Rome) and I eventually did find something there I could afford, probably one of the smaller purchases ever, lol, a pair of wild designer socks by Elsa Schiaparelli. I had them for years...

Oddly, my mother (the planner) thought they should take me to Spain since I had studied Spanish for four years. Spain didn't really move me. Would've liked more time in France and Italy. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chanmc said:

As a cruising destination, the Meddy is both large and has a number of highly diverse regions. With only 7 to 10 days you can't possibly see more than a few of them.

Therefore, the first challenge is to research the areas you think will be important to your daughter. Previous reponses have suggested some excellent books. Personally, I visit our local library and borrow whatever books are available.

Without knowing your interests and more importantly, those of your daughter, it is impossible to make suggestions, but once you have established priorities, we can possibly suggest the best ports and attractions.

For a cruise line, if this cruise is for your daughter, I suggest a more mainstream ship may be better than a premium/luxury cruise line. Of the 3 cruise lines you mention, MSC is probably the 1st choice of most 18 yr olds, but you also have P&O/Princess, RCI, Costa, NCL, etc. Also not aware of your throughts regarding drinking, but the British/European Lines and some NA brands in Europe are a more reasonable 18 yrs.

Thank you all so much for thoughts - very helpful.  I will actually look into the book.  Our daughter is a super easy traveler, she likes adventure and going to places we have never been.  Not super history/art buff but has studied world history so we will definitely spend a little time in Rome and if possible Florence (as that was favorite of mine and husbands).  She has been to Hawaii, Jamaica, Barbados and multiple small islands in Bahamas.  We live in Florida and she is a competitive swimmer, although she does not want to swim in college.  We felt like a cruise would provide the opportunity to see more and explore.  We will likely do some food tours and if possible some boat tours at waterside towns/islands.  Husband and I spent time in Rome and set up private tours for the areas we wanted to see so I will likely do similar.

For ships, she doesn't drink but husband and I would like her to begin to experience wine at dinner, etc (she will be going off to college:)  

19 hours ago, Chanmc said:

I have begun to look at Celebrity, MSC and Oceania (although it doesn't seem as appealing for 18 y/o). I just don't know much about the cruise lines in Europe

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

For a cruise line, if this cruise is for your daughter, I suggest a more mainstream ship may be better

Totally agree, however even as an European I do find MSC and Costa ‘too Italian’ in the Med. My favorites are RCCL and Celebrity. Norwegian and Holland America Line might also be good choices.

• Like 2

If correct, your only experience in many years is on Silverseas? That experience would be very different from a cruise on one of the much larger, more affordable lines. 

Our children love Windstar, they started sailing with us in high school, and now in their 30’s and married, all enjoy the atmosphere. They are not in the luxury market, more like premium plus, food and service is better and there is no waiting in line for anything. (This is my pet peeve, ymmv.) The cabins on the  motor yachts are very spacious and might work well for your family of three. Although we adore the sailing ships, the cabins would be tight with a third.  Quick on and off at every port and can get into places others can’t due to size. (300 pax)

23 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

If correct, your only experience in many years is on Silverseas? That experience would be very different from a cruise on one of the much larger, more affordable lines. 

Our children love Windstar, they started sailing with us in high school, and now in their 30’s and married, all enjoy the atmosphere. They are not in the luxury market, more like premium plus, food and service is better and there is no waiting in line for anything. (This is my pet peeve, ymmv.) The cabins on the  motor yachts are very spacious and might work well for your family of three. Although we adore the sailing ships, the cabins would be tight with a third.  Quick on and off at every port and can get into places others can’t due to size. (300 pax)

Thanks, I'll look at Windstar motor - we are not much for sailing, beautiful, but not our ideal.  We definitely liked being on a smaller ship and got to go to different ports than larger ships in Baltic.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chanmc said:

Thanks, I'll look at Windstar motor - we are not much for sailing, beautiful, but not our ideal.  We definitely liked being on a smaller ship and got to go to different ports than larger ships in Baltic.  

Have you considered Viking ?

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Have you considered Viking ?

I'm not seeing having 3 people in stateroom on Viking.  I like the 10 day Venice to Athens but that excludes a lot of Italy and no Spain so we need to decide on ports first.

2 hours ago, Chanmc said:

I'm not seeing having 3 people in stateroom on Viking.  I like the 10 day Venice to Athens but that excludes a lot of Italy and no Spain so we need to decide on ports first.

Sorry  - stupid suggestion on my part. I totally forgot to take your daughter into account !

On 4/20/2021 at 11:24 AM, Chanmc said:

We'd like to do somewhere between 7-10 days depending on ports

One of the first things you need to do is decide which part of the Mediterranean holds the most interest - East vs West.  How about ships that go into the Adriatic sea?  7 to 10 days is simply not enough time to cover the Mediterranean properly.  My recommendation is always to go for as long as you can given the travel time involved.

I personally like to look at a site that posts cruise timetables (easy to find with your favorite search engine) for all ships and lines.  I plugged in June 2022 and saw a 9 day cruise on Celebrity that starts in Barcelona and ends in Venice.  This gives opportunities for extra activities on both ends. Another is a 14 day cruise on Princess starts in Barcelona and ends in Athens.  Lot's of opportunities to look at. 

My recommendation would be to look at all the major departure ports - Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Venice.., - to see what cruise looks best based on what you view as the best journey/ports that works within your budget and time constraints.

Good luck!  I have done a few Mediterranean cruises with my kids and we always had a great time!

One more thing - go as early in the month as you can to both beat the heat and at least some of the peak summer crowds.

Edited by SelectSys

15 hours ago, SelectSys said:

One of the first things you need to do is decide which part of the Mediterranean holds the most interest - East vs West.  How about ships that go into the Adriatic sea?  7 to 10 days is simply not enough time to cover the Mediterranean properly.  My recommendation is always to go for as long as you can given the travel time involved.

I personally like to look at a site that posts cruise timetables (easy to find with your favorite search engine) for all ships and lines.  I plugged in June 2022 and saw a 9 day cruise on Celebrity that starts in Barcelona and ends in Venice.  This gives opportunities for extra activities on both ends. Another is a 14 day cruise on Princess starts in Barcelona and ends in Athens.  Lot's of opportunities to look at. 

My recommendation would be to look at all the major departure ports - Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Venice.., - to see what cruise looks best based on what you view as the best journey/ports that works within your budget and time constraints.

Good luck!  I have done a few Mediterranean cruises with my kids and we always had a great time!

One more thing - go as early in the month as you can to both beat the heat and at least some of the peak summer crowds.

Thanks so much - I spent several hours yesterday researching (in between zoom work calls, lol) and might have seen the same trips.  I watched a video on ports also so starting to figure out which I think will interest us the most.  My daughter is super easy going so she'll enjoy no matter what we decide and will enjoy the adventure of going to so many places.  Total we are considering 2 weeks so hopefully that will be enough to spark her interest to go back, etc.

9 hours ago, Chanmc said:

Total we are considering 2 weeks so hopefully that will be enough to spark her interest to go back, etc.

You will all have a great time.  The Mediterranean cruise is a really great trip!  I don't think you'll have any problem convincing her to head back.  Heading home might be a bit tougher 🙂

13 hours ago, SelectSys said:

You will all have a great time.  The Mediterranean cruise is a really great trip!  I don't think you'll have any problem convincing her to head back.  Heading home might be a bit tougher 🙂

Our first cruise was a Western Mediterranean cruise. The problem heading back is that you have been so active that after the cruise you feel like now you need a vacation. 😉

You might consider the following:  Fly to Venice and stay there for a few days.  Then, hop a high speed train to Rome and stay for a few days.  Then, board a ship out of Civitavecchia -- that's the port for cruises leaving from Rome -- for an Eastern Med. cruise that includes a trip to Kusadasi, Turkey, which is your jumping off point to see the amazing Roman ruins at Ephesus.  And IF you visit Ephesus be SURE to include a tour of the Terrace Houses.  This, of course, if Turkey is open to cruisers.  If you can find a cruise that leaves out of Rome and includes a visit to Naples -- to see Pompeii or Herculaneum -- then you may want to do that, too.  Good luck with your decision-making and, of course, have a great trip.