Mandatory ship excursions vs independent shore excursions a future possibility?

Funbrit

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I think that is true of virtually all souvenirs bought on foreign holidays. After 50 years of travelling,  we have about 6 mementoes left, ironically all bought in the early days of our travels. They provide us with happy memories of when we were young and innocent. In later years, the souvenirs we bought lasted less and less time, before being thrown out, as we realised that they were of no value, in any sense of the word.  

Nowadays we just look at the "tat" on offer, and move on!     

We have things that cost a few dollars that we still adore. And things - especially paintings that cost more but not hundreds and hundreds - that we equally love. I can't think of anything that we stopped loving and got rid of.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clo said:

We have things that cost a few dollars that we still adore. And things - especially paintings that cost more but not hundreds and hundreds - that we equally love. I can't think of anything that we stopped loving and got rid of.

As you say, value doesn't come into it, but every house move means that we need to determine what is worth transporting, and unfortunately the Benidorm donkey and the like don't make the cut!    

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

As you say, value doesn't come into it, but every house move means that we need to determine what is worth transporting, and unfortunately the Benidorm donkey and the like don't make the cut!    

Our house is going on the market in a few days and we'll be reducing our space by 3/4. But those treasures will always have a home. But I have gotten rid of a couple of sets of dinnerware :

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Our house is going on the market in a few days and we'll be reducing our space by 3/4. But those treasures will always have a home. But I have gotten rid of a couple of sets of dinnerware :

As we get older, we find that physical treasures become less and less important.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

As we get older, we find that physical treasures become less and less important.

Our house is going to be shown "staged" so we packed away all the tchotskes and half the art. It doesn't feel like our home.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:04 PM, dogs4fun said:

Not the cheap ones that you find in the souvenir shops. The hand painted dolls are made in Russia and they are rather pricey.

Much of the souvenirs that are sold in shops are souvenirs from china and are total junk.  I try to buy art work or native handicrafts.  Unfortunately I have almost no wall space left to hang art so that presents a problem although I have thought of rotating the collection.  Also, if you buy it unframed to make it easier to carry, getting it framed ends up costing at least 3 or 4 times what the art cost.  One thing that I have done is to buy a mat cutter so if I can find a frame that works well w the art, I can then cut my own mats.  

With regard to native handicrafts, some places have organizations that the handicraft was made locally and sometimes even by identified native craftsmen.  For example, in Alaska, there is one symbol that shows that the piece was made in Alaska and another that shows that it is made by one of the indigenous peoples.  None of that stuff is cheap but at least you are supporting the local and/or native economies and not the economy of China.  

DON

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Much of the souvenirs that are sold in shops are souvenirs from china and are total junk.  I try to buy art work or native handicrafts.  Unfortunately I have almost no wall space left to hang art so that presents a problem although I have thought of rotating the collection.  Also, if you buy it unframed to make it easier to carry, getting it framed ends up costing at least 3 or 4 times what the art cost.  One thing that I have done is to buy a mat cutter so if I can find a frame that works well w the art, I can then cut my own mats.  

With regard to native handicrafts, some places have organizations that the handicraft was made locally and sometimes even by identified native craftsmen.  For example, in Alaska, there is one symbol that shows that the piece was made in Alaska and another that shows that it is made by one of the indigenous peoples.  None of that stuff is cheap but at least you are supporting the local and/or native economies and not the economy of China.  

DON

That, that, that and that 🙂 A few years ago we went from two homes to one and that was a challenge but now we're going to a senior living apartment eventually that a third the size of now. "Rotating collection" is what we keep coming back to 🙂

10 minutes ago, clo said:

That, that, that and that 🙂 A few years ago we went from two homes to one and that was a challenge but now we're going to a senior living apartment eventually that a third the size of now. "Rotating collection" is what we keep coming back to 🙂

The problem w rotating is that you end up w lots of holes in your wall.  We have some friends from Germany who are using the Stas picture hanging hardware in the home - https://www.picturehangingsystems.com/wall-hanging.  It works wonderfully and you can change pictures very easily.  I am thinking of going to that system.  Sort of the picture hanging molding that people used to use when they had plaster walls instead of wallboard.  Check it out.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

The problem w rotating is that you end up w lots of holes in your wall.  We have some friends from Germany who are using the Stas picture hanging hardware in the home - https://www.picturehangingsystems.com/wall-hanging.  It works wonderfully and you can change pictures very easily.  I am thinking of going to that system.  Check it out.

DON

I really appreciate your sharing that link. It may be the answer. Everything we have, we like. Some are near enough the same sizes but not all. Thanks, Don.

I'm not much of a shopper and normally don't bring much back from my travels unless I find something that really means something to me. 

I did yield to the temptation to buy one of the gorgeous Russian lacquerware painted boxes when I was there, because I just happened to see one that reminded me of a very special book I'd had as a child, with beautiful illustrations, of the Russian folktale of the Little Humpbacked Horse:

image.png.f90777a962c83556ec6dbf7be6436ca4.png

• Like 1

Sadly  several things frequently happen simultaneously :   our  collection of memorabilia maxes out as our living space decreases and our energy level (necessary for any real effort at "rotation decoration") wanes.

The bullet must be bit:  if you have no friends/kin interested in parts of your collection, you must cull it. 

Do you really need it, do you really want it (more than the other things which compete for the same space), and do you want to unfairly force the hard decisions on your survivors?

DOWNSIZE -- abiding by the axiom:  "if in doubt, throw it out".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

and do you want to unfairly force the hard decisions on your survivors?

I think the word is "ephemera"? Things that weren't intended to last/keep forever. Preparing to move I got rid of all manner of paper, photos, etc. And we have been super clear for many years that our daughters should have no worry about getting rid of 'stuff.' A son-in-law's mother had a career in museum administration. We got the suggestion to put notes on the back or bottom of stuff just in case it has any particular story or even VALUE 🙂

The souvenirs I tend to collect are recipes😋. Every place I visit if I find a dish or food stuff I like I try to learn the recipe so I can take home to cook it myself. Everytime I cook a dish or use a certain flavour combination it takes me back to trips🤗

• Like 3

WE are booked on a Costa cruise in Europe and are getting offered their 99 euros for 5 excursions deal.  You can only get off the ship with one of their excursions.  Even if they did allow independent excursions by Oct, I think I'd be mad to pass up that offer.  

Fortunately, I've been to most of the ports already ( Bari, Corfu, Piraeus, Mykonos, Katakolon) so am easy with the slimmed down options for the tours included on this offer.  The only "must see" is Matera which is included.

I wonder if the US lines will take a similar approach or still charge their much higher excursion prices!

• Like 2

Received this from Costa this morning, mandatory excursions through Costa, if you want to leave the ship. You will also need covid insurance.  

Costa
BOOKING: 
USEFUL INFORMATION FOR YOUR CRUISE
Hero Big Title
Dear Gerry,

Thank you for choosing a Costa cruise.
72 hours before departure you will need to access the web check-in where we will ask you to confirm all the guests details. You are reminded that the web check-in is essential for accessing your travel documents and that it needs to be done for all passengers.
Booking: ............
Boarding: 24/09/2021
Ship: Costa Diadema
Disembarkation: 08/10/2021
To ensure the safest interactions amongst guests and crew, we devised outstanding technical and digital solutions ashore and aboard:

WEB CHECK-IN
Every passenger must do the web check-in to avoid crowds and to limit interactions with the crew inside the boarding terminal.

TESTING AT EMBARKATION
All passengers from the age of 6 will be required to undergo an antigen test (nasopharyngeal swab), at Costa’s expense.

SELF-CERTIFICATION FOR EVERYONE
Before boarding, we will require all our passengers to complete a self-certification of your health status.

MEDICAL STATEMENTS
Passengers boarding our ships will be subject to the following requirements and will need to show that they do not have the following conditions:
• not suffer from severe respiratory insufficiency
• not require oxygen or mechanical ventilatory support

AREAS AT RISK
If you live or have been in close contact (a distance of less than 2 metres for more than 15 minutes) with people in one of the risk areas in the last 14 days, you will have to undergo the molecular RT-PCR test on the day of your departure (nasopharyngeal swab) before boarding. The wait for the result is about 4 hours. To view the list of hotspots (first page) or the countries from which boarding is not permitted (second page), click here.

COVID INSURANCE
We remind you that if you do not have an insurance policy that covers the risks associated with Covid during the cruise (such as: medical expenses, room and board expenses for extended stay ashore for quarantine, return home costs if you fall ill abroad, even with protected vehicles for people who have tested positive, reimbursement of the portion of the booking for cruise interruption), you will have to pay for the expenses. If you do not have this insurance policy, you can purchase it (*) through Costa Cruises by calling the Contact Centre or by contacting your Travel Agent; alternatively, if you prefer, you can buy a policy that covers the same risks from an insurance carrier of your choice.

GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
You can find the general terms and conditions at the following link.
Discover MyCosta
mycosta
(*) Insurance may not be available to residents of certain countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, clo said:

The set of salt and pepper shakers that look like nesting dolls that was bought in Talinn, Estonia gets used everyday. I wear the Bob Marley tee shirt (unfortunately made in China) and the Machu Picchu tee shirt (made in Peru, but bought on a land trip. Various things from Scotland (the home of my late father-in-law are still on display). A doll from Alaska is on display, as is one from Peru. And there are throw pillows from Peru on the couch.

None are real expensive, but all have value for us.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

if in doubt, throw it out".

I do.  And, then, at some point soon after I did so, I regret my action at times.

23 hours ago, clo said:

We have things that cost a few dollars that we still adore

My most appreciated and memorable souvenir  after all of my cruises is one that was a pillow gift during the Asia Pacific Cruise of the Volendam in 2002.  A stuffed kangaroo with a joey in her pocket with the logo of the Cruise embossed on the outside of the pouch.  It sits on my bedroom's dresser so I see it every morning and every evening before I retire for the night.  We received it when we were visiting Australia.  Why is it the most appreciated?  I don't know other than that cruise has become my #1 favorite cruise.  

I can't think of any souvenirs.......I guess I am just not a shopper.  Oh, I bought a sterling silver

necklace in Italy......does that count? I wear it🙂 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The souvenirs I tend to collect are recipes😋. Every place I visit if I find a dish or food stuff I like I try to learn the recipe so I can take home to cook it myself. Everytime I cook a dish or use a certain flavour combination it takes me back to trips🤗

I like to do the same. I especially like to bring back 'good' olive oils. I got tons of spices in Turkey. And a bag salt flakes in Norway. Oh, right, and some honeycomb in...hmm...some SE Asia airport. And wine 🙂

1 hour ago, clo said:

I like to do the same. I especially like to bring back 'good' olive oils. I got tons of spices in Turkey. And a bag salt flakes in Norway. Oh, right, and some honeycomb in...hmm...some SE Asia airport. And wine 🙂

To Australia food can be complicated to bring😳, however I have brought back 100% chocolate from Costa Rica and Sakura Tea from Japan while on domestic road trips I tend to collect a lot of honey😂. Not sure I would bring olive oil, I was told they can go rancid pretty quickly, maybe if it was before flying home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

...Not sure I would bring olive oil, I was told they can go rancid pretty quickly, maybe if it was before flying home. 

Olive oil is good for at least a year - probably close to two - in a sealed dark container.  Of course what you might buy at a store can be iffy, but if you get it where produced (we came back from Tuscany with a couple of bottles put up at the villa where we stayed) and enjoyed it for several months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

To Australia food can be complicated to bring😳, however I have brought back 100% chocolate from Costa Rica and Sakura Tea from Japan while on domestic road trips I tend to collect a lot of honey😂. Not sure I would bring olive oil, I was told they can go rancid pretty quickly, maybe if it was before flying home. 

I've heard of cruisers visiting ports in Australia having to toss even sealed products like granola bars or cereal brought along as snacks on shore excursions, so I imagine the rules are pretty strict there.