Do you think that July cruises from Athens will proceed?

Eli_6

15 hours ago, iancal said:

We have absolutely no intention of returning to cruising anytime soon.  Land travel yes but certainly no cruises until at least late 2022.

The very last thing we want is to be on a cruise to nowhere with port stops cancelled, or  mandatory cruise line excursions only, or worse end up on MS Covid for week or two.  Why pay or waste our time on a potential cruise experience like this?

But...we place far more stock on these numbers as an indicator than we do to often confusing and sometimes  ill informed musings of self serving politicians and cruise industry folk. 

Covid is far from over or wrestled to the ground.   It still has a way to go with some potential bumps along the way.

Would we even consider a Med cruise in 2021?  Never.  Nor would we consider or even book any other 2021 cruise itinerary at this point in time.  Not enough data.

There isn't a need to get defensive. If the rest of your post is directed toward me (which seems 180° from what you intimated in your previous post I quoted) then I don't need the lesson. I know the score, but will take my advice from what I deem to be reliable source with a bit of gut feeling thrown in. It's all I have at present. 

Phil 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, iancal said:

Try those popular islands right after Greek Easter or in late October.  Otherwise we avoid them in favor of other islands, destinations.  Check on the daily port data before going to see if and how many cruise ships are in port.  Better yet go by land and spend 4 or5 days on the island during these periods.  You will  enjoy a completely different environment and experience. 

We  recommend this approach for other ports such as Corfu and most especially Dubrovnik.

The locals appear to agree with you! Santorini Cruises - 7 Reasons to Avoid a Greek Cruise in 2021 (santorinidave.com)

On 5/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, Fouremco said:

I've been following the entry requirements since early 2020 as we were booked on a Hawaiian cruise, subsequently cancelled, and your statement isn't correct. From the Travel Requirements webpage https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements:

Only test results from Trusted Testing and Travel Partners(link is external) will be accepted. 

If you follow the link to the State of Hawaii COVID-19 page on Travel Partners (https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/), the long list is prefaced with the following:

Hawai‘i’s Pre-travel Testing Program

The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.

It's very clear that you can only use one of these partners and can't use other vendors. I really feel sorry for your sister and brother-in-law, but I don't know how this requirement could be made any more clear.

Yep. All it requires is proper research and making sure you are in compliance with the actual state requirements.  People who choose to travel in this environment need to do their homework or suffer the consequences. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Yep. All it requires is proper research and making sure you are in compliance with the actual state requirements.  People who choose to travel in this environment need to do their homework or suffer the consequences. 

Tying these two thread tangents together, I fear that too many cruise passengers are not seriously considering, researching or understanding what cruising is likely to be like when it re-starts. I anticipate a flood of unhappy posts (and posters) once the mass market lines resume limited operations in the Caribbean and from Athens.

Cruisers in general seem exquisitely sensitive to changes in their overall experience. I am not sure that all of those who are so rabid to get on a ship as soon as possible have really spent time reading the guidelines in detail and/or thinking through what it will be like onboard each and every day under the proposed "health and safety" guidelines, not to mention the possible restrictions on activities in port...

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Well, he certainly has a negative opinion of cruises in general.

and no doubt, the small mom and pop shops in Santorini want the cruise $.  This guy is paid to say what he does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

We had the misfortune of visiting Santorini while on a Med cruise. Several ships in port.  It was a disaster.  A complete zoo.   Our last visit to Santorin had been in late April for four or five days.  

On the criuise stop Fira was almost  unrecognizable to us.  Tour group pushing and shoving.   We should have stayed on the ship and enjoyed the quiet time and the view of the cliffside.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Those of us traveling to Greece will continue checking the requirements.   Right now if you are flying directly to Greece from the U.S., you need to show your proof of COVID vaccination.   This could change.   Unfortunately we fly through Munich so we need the COVID test even though we have been vaccinated.   Luckily, IAD, has a lab providing the required test in 30 minutes for a higher cost.   We have traveled before under COVID and know how to check the requirements.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Those of us traveling to Greece will continue checking the requirements.   Right now if you are flying directly to Greece from the U.S., you need to show your proof of COVID vaccination.   This could change.   Unfortunately we fly through Munich so we need the COVID test even though we have been vaccinated.   Luckily, IAD, has a lab providing the required test in 30 minutes for a higher cost.   We have traveled before under COVID and know how to check the requirements.

Good on you for doing this, I hope you have a fantastic vacation!  

3 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

I thought the same, when I am on a cruise I can not expect a solitar experience. I know I have to share whatever there is with my shipmates. I been to Santorin three times - and always with ships. While I agree the experience in 1983 was much less crowded then those in later years- i ALWAYS was a wonderful experience and not to be missed.

Santorin is again on schdedule in June when I visit with the Apex- I just wait and see- if I am in the mood i might as well stay on board and enjoy the ship and the stunning VIEW!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 2:29 PM, terrydtx said:

Hawaii is a nightmare with their restrictions. Two weeks ago my fully vaccinated sister and brother in law flew to Maui Hawaii first class on American from DFW. They both got their required negative PCR Covid tests the day before departure and when they landed at the  Maui airport  they were told that although they had been vaccinated and got the correct negative PCR test, it wasn't from an "Hawaii approved vendor" like CVS and they wouldn't accept the results. They were given the option of forced confined quarantine at an approved hotel with no outside contacts for 5 days or turn around and fly home. Since they were only in Hawaii for 7 days they chose to fly home. While waiting for a return flight they could not leave a special quarantine secured area in the airport for over 12 hours. They lost the $4600 they paid for the 7 night condo  and had to fly home coach for $1200pp more and they will never visit Hawaii again.  BTW the Hawaii tourism web site says all tourists must have a negative PCR test and it gives a list of "preferred" vendors but nowhere does it say you can not use any other vendor.  They got their PCR tests from a local chain Urgent Care that is well known in Texas. Smart move not going to Hawaii this summer.

Their experience was horrendous! So unfair. I suppose there is no one to appeal to for refund. Wow!

29 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

Their experience was horrendous! So unfair. I suppose there is no one to appeal to for refund. Wow!

The requirements are clearly stated in many places. I live on Oahu and every day hear stories about people who were turned away because they did not used one of Hawaii's "trusted partners." I'm sure there is some money exchanging hands between these partners and the state of Hawaii, and that's a shame, but the requirements are very clearly spelled out and all people have to do is look them up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I thought the same, when I am on a cruise I can not expect a solitar experience. I know I have to share whatever there is with my shipmates. I been to Santorin three times - and always with ships. While I agree the experience in 1983 was much less crowded then those in later years- i ALWAYS was a wonderful experience and not to be missed.

Santorin is again on schdedule in June when I visit with the Apex- I just wait and see- if I am in the mood i might as well stay on board and enjoy the ship and the stunning VIEW!

The last two times we have stopped at Santorini, we stayed on board and enjoyed the views and a quiet ship. Previous visits have been horrendous and not worth the crowds and queues, and they were in October. It seems possible landing may not be allowed in June.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

The last two times we have stopped at Santorini, we stayed on board and enjoyed the views and a quiet ship. Previous visits have been horrendous and not worth the crowds and queues, and they were in October. It seems possible landing may not be allowed in June.

I'm with you. Santorini (like Dubrovnik and Kotor) is spoiled by crowds and it is right through the season. I've been there probably 10 times and when you luck out and are the only ship or two there it's a beautiful place to visit. If there are half a dozen ships it can be a nightmare. And Greece's need for the tourist Euro will not make it any better. 

Phil 

11 hours ago, Podie said:

The requirements are clearly stated in many places. I live on Oahu and every day hear stories about people who were turned away because they did not used one of Hawaii's "trusted partners." I'm sure there is some money exchanging hands between these partners and the state of Hawaii, and that's a shame, but the requirements are very clearly spelled out and all people have to do is look them up.

I agree completely. Google "hawaii entry requirements" and you will have all the information you need in seconds, including the mandatory use of trusted partners for testing. There was nothing unfair in the treatment of the couple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I agree completely. Google "hawaii entry requirements" and you will have all the information you need in seconds, including the mandatory use of trusted partners for testing. There was nothing unfair in the treatment of the couple.

It's called being responsible for the results of your own decisions.  Too little of that these days.

• Like 1

Even if I have to stay on board- Apex is a new ship to enjoy- besides- as said the view´s while anchored in the little harbor are stunning. The only two worries I have if the sail - even though they are not booked up to 60% capacity and the flying into Athens. Of coursre we are all fully vaccinated then- but still- nothing is really certain in those troubled times we are living through.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 3:55 AM, Germancruiser said:

Even if I have to stay on board- Apex is a new ship to enjoy- besides- as said the view´s while anchored in the little harbor are stunning.

I think you are on to something ... there is much to be enjoyed on ship! As we cruise more we realize we've been to a lot of ports.

The essense of our travel doctrine now is to "enjoy the journey" and not just enjoying more ports. There are many ports we've been to and don't really care for enough to make a return visit ... for various reasons ...

We enjoy meeting our fellow passengers from around the world and visiting with crew! ... 😇

• Like 1

I guess I was lucky to have visited Santorini in early October 2019 because my visit was "magical" and I enjoyed every minute of it on the island - especially Akrotiri!

Did I get to see a sunset - no.  But the sail away was magnificent as the early evening light made the entire island look really spectacular!  

• Like 1