Why Celebrity suites over luxury lines?

islandchick

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I think from your response one of your Regent cruises is on the Navigator? I had booked Navigator a few years back for Alaska but cancelled and went with Oceania. 

The reason for the cancellation was due to people on CC discussing brown water coming out of the faucets and also a terrible vibration in the aft section of the ship. Not sure if it was ever corrected or even could be corrected. Brown water and vibrations was not luxury to me. Just giving you some info I learned here on CC. Buyer Beware.

Yup the small ship is Navigator. We're mid ship, port side, deck 8 so I don't believe vibes will be a prob. Usually vibrations occur on some ships when they reverse props while docking. I've encountered it on a Celebrity ship as well but it was only for a short period.  It wasn't enough to ruin my cruise.

I wonder did you ever hear about brown water since that time on CC?  Could it have been a problem that was fixed a few years ago?  I haven't seen anything about that on the Regent board.

I just did a search. I was able to find this post from 10/6/19 replying to another poster asking if there was any brown water sighting.  "the Navigator, still fresh from its June refurb, appears to be in tip-top shape.  And, nope, I’ve not observed even a drip of brown water from “the tap.”  New water pipes were installed throughout the vessel in June, so that should have finally solved the problem "  Thus I don't think that will be a problem now.

I'll find out for sure next May if there are problems or they don't live up to my expectations.  I gotta try it before I don't like it. 🙂

Edited by ChucktownSteve

55 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I am quite sure that Crystal is no longer formal. The cabins are supposedly very small and a bit outdated. I think where they shine is lectures etc. Probably good for a TA. 

I am not ready for the nursing home yet, therefore will pass on Crystal for a few more years. Down the road...;-)

Our go to cruise lines are Oceania and Celebrity.  Oceania for the smaller ports they get into and Celebrity for adult fun. We enjoy the shows and music and a more diverse age group. It keeps us young.

I have been on many cruise lines and our choices are based on timing and itinerary. We have never had a bad cruise, some are just different as all of us are in our expectations. No brown water, ever 😉

Thanks for your reply.

RE…nursing home atmosphere, I didn’t want to say it but that was what the 17 day Oceania cruise was like!  The people were a lot older and not very friendly……some were just plain crumpy!  It was a TA but is was port intensive….Montreal to London, a very unique itinerary is why we booked it and we were celebrating a 25 th anniversary.  The activities were exactly the same every day…..afternoon tea, violinists, evening show.  

We have done a number of cruises with Azamara and the clientele are lively, well travelled and friendly ….eager to meet others!  It is a totally different atmosphere.  We even did a TA with them and the atmosphere was not that of a nursing home!   We also enjoy shows and music and a diverse age group! 

• Like 2

For what it is worth……Also on that Oceania cruise, we were on Marina and there was terrible vibration aft.  We were in the Irish Sea when it was at its worst.  I have seen this discussed on the Oceania boards and it seemed to be a problem with that ship from the start.  We love aft cabins and I thought, oh they are just exaggerating, but after being on the ship for a long  period of time, I came to the conclusion that it was downright annoying!  I don’t know if it is still a problem as I no longer read the Oceania board.  It was terrible vibration in the main dining room located aft.

11 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

Thanks for your reply.

RE…nursing home atmosphere, I didn’t want to say it but that was what the 17 day Oceania cruise was like!  The people were a lot older and not very friendly……some were just plain crumpy!  It was a TA but is was port intensive….Montreal to London, a very unique itinerary is why we booked it and we were celebrating a 25 th anniversary.  The activities were exactly the same every day…..afternoon tea, violinists, evening show.  

We have done a number of cruises with Azamara and the clientele are lively, well travelled and friendly ….eager to meet others!  It is a totally different atmosphere.  We even did a TA with them and the atmosphere was not that of a nursing home!   We also enjoy shows and music and a diverse age group! 

To be honest, we do not socialize much when on a cruise. Very private and always dine by ourselves. Yes, O has an older demographic and especially noticeable on longer cruises since they are mostly retired. The gym is typically empty and that is a good thing. X has a very active gym.

We have never been to a show on O. We also rarely use their main dining room. After a long touring day we actually prefer to dine al fresco at the Terrace Cafe. Grilled shrimp, lobster, lamb chops etc. A fresh salad and a nice bottle of wine and we are quite happy. We eat healthy and use the gym just like at home. 

One thing I had noticed on smaller ships is that if the weather is cooler or rainy, the ships feel more crowded vs being on a larger ship. Everyone congregates indoors with no place to go. 

We typically tour by ourselves too and that keeps us off of the bus 😉  This is why we prefer al a carte vs included tours. O offers that.

Another mention when it comes to cabins. We had the Vista suite on O Regatta for Alaska. Lovely and spacious. However, we would never take a forward suite again. In rough seas it was not a pleasant experience . The views were fabulous and we were able to get up close and personal to Hubbard Glacier. It is a tradeoff.

Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all the folks (especially Orator, Truly Blonde, Host Jazzbeau, Ken the cruiser) for your first-hand accounts of experiences on the smaller lines.  I've spent a couple of weeks checking reviews, first-time cruiser tips, cabin videos, ship videos, wine lists, menus, solo cruiser experiences, and on and on.  Today I was finally able to fire off an email to my agent for quotes for specific 2023 TAs on Oceania, Silversea, Regent, and Crystal!   She already got back to me with a quote for a 23-day Miami to Venice on Oceania that is a better deal than the 24-day combo I'd booked for 2022 on Celebrity.  This has been such an eye-opener!  So I suppose, for me, some good has come from X's AI x2 for solos.  I'm leaving my rut. 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Thank you to all the folks (especially Orator, Truly Blonde, Host Jazzbeau, Ken the cruiser) for your first-hand accounts of experiences on the smaller lines.  I've spent a couple of weeks checking reviews, first-time cruiser tips, cabin videos, ship videos, wine lists, menus, solo cruiser experiences, and on and on.  Today I was finally able to fire off an email to my agent for quotes for specific 2023 TAs on Oceania, Silversea, Regent, and Crystal!   She already got back to me with a quote for a 23-day Miami to Venice on Oceania that is a better deal than the 24-day combo I'd booked for 2022 on Celebrity.  This has been such an eye-opener!  So I suppose, for me, some good has come from X's AI x2 for solos.  I'm leaving my rut. 😉

Ruth..you will love a TA on Oceania..we've done quite a few..which ship are you on?

1 hour ago, LuAnn said:

Ruth..you will love a TA on Oceania..we've done quite a few..which ship are you on?

The quote was for Riviera but I'm not booked.  I'm also getting quotes for three other cruise lines.  They're all intriguing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goofysmom99 said:

The quote was for Riviera but I'm not booked.  I'm also getting quotes for three other cruise lines.  They're all intriguing.

TAs are a special category of cruising.  Some people love them just for the peace and quiet and watching the sea – for that a veranda cabin on any of the lines you mention would be great.  But others want a range of activities to choose from – and I believe there are major differences among lines.  Crystal is known for their enrichment programs; I'm less familiar with the others – you should check all four forums here if this feature is important to you.

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

TAs are a special category of cruising.  Some people love them just for the peace and quiet and watching the sea – for that a veranda cabin on any of the lines you mention would be great.  But others want a range of activities to choose from – and I believe there are major differences among lines.  Crystal is known for their enrichment programs; I'm less familiar with the others – you should check all four forums here if this feature is important to you.

That was part of my research.  I'm retired military and have seen a whole lot of the world, sometimes not by choice.  Been there done that and now when I travel, I just want to listen to the waves, sniff the breeze, and be waited upon.  Room service breakfast is weighted #1 and balcony cabin of some sort is #2.  My upcoming April 2022 TA will be my 16th.  Love 'em.

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Crystal is known for their enrichment programs; I'm less familiar with the others

On a typical sea day, Crystal will run at least 3 primary speakers - two in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Sometimes, there will be additional added in.  Dance instruction, pilates and fitness classes, bingo, trivia, afternoon movie, tea time and more.

Room service breakfast is included, of course - either by calling in the morning or putting out your order on a door tag the night before.  And for sniffing the breeze and listening to the ocean, I have found few places better than the open aft decks, where you have shaded loungers available for everyone on decks 8, 9, and 10 (yet surprisingly lightly used).  No "aft cabins" taking all the views.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

That was part of my research.  I'm retired military and have seen a whole lot of the world, sometimes not by choice.  Been there done that and now when I travel, I just want to listen to the waves, sniff the breeze, and be waited upon.  Room service breakfast is weighted #1 and balcony cabin of some sort is #2.  My upcoming April 2022 TA will be my 16th.  Love 'em.

I have taken over 100 cruises and have sailed on over 20 cruise lines since 1969 and I have enjoyed the various qualities that each one brings.  But as I have reached the senior classification my scope has narrowed considerably.  Of the '"luxury lines" I have eliminated a few.  I admit I am a foodie and Viking does not serve anything close to haute cuisine.  Crystal serves really wonderful food but I found their older ships to be lacking in facilities and accommodations which is a very subjective statement.

Although I am E+ on Celebrity, the itineraries have never been geared to long cruises.  I find that the effort and possible problems involved in traveling to the ship and back home again makes me

prefer longer cruises.  The exception is my annual cruise to Alaska since it is my summer break from Arizona hot weather.  I find that cruisers that have traveled the world may have a different perspective and are often more interesting conversationalists.   The longer itineraries usually include lecturers that can give more pleasure and interest than the usual showroom spectacle.   The atmosphere on these longer itineraries create a low key atmosphere that is at odds with the atmosphere that a large ship creates.  The biggest thing that turns me off large ships is continual music that emanates from all public areas and it has become increasingly loud and less true "background" music.  

It is these intangible qualities rather than just the suite accommodation that determines a luxury cruise and makes a small ship voyage more enjoyable for me.  As others have stated, the smaller ships can sometimes access more interesting ports or they can dock closer to populated areas.  As you can see from the list of future cruises listed below,  I have narrowed my choices to a few luxury and premium lines and to at least one very long cruise each year.  In 2022 that will be a 73 day itinerary on Regent leaving Istanbul in October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll put it out there upfront - I have never yet sailed on a luxury line and not sure I would even if I could afford that type of sailing.  For one thing, I am prone to seasickness and I have always found I handle the seas better on ships that are a bit larger.  I started out on Century class years ago, and had issues a number of times.  Then had fewer issues on M class, and fewer still on S class.  So for me that is a very big factor.  I know every sailing is different, but have sailed more than 60 times and this has been my experience vis a vis ship's size.

The other thing I would wonder about is entertainment options onboard.  I like having more venues to choose from, and I enjoy many of the production shows and different guest entertainers.  I do like to meet and get to know my fellow travelers, which would likely be easier on a smaller sized ship so I guess I am missing out on that aspect.  Perhaps the service is more personalized also, but even when I don't sail in suites (which is usually the case), I have always found Celebrity service to be outstanding, with very few exceptions.  I am also happy with the food in general - we usually eat in Blu and I find the food very good to excellent.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I'll put it out there upfront - I have never yet sailed on a luxury line and not sure I would even if I could afford that type of sailing.  For one thing, I am prone to seasickness and I have always found I handle the seas better on ships that are a bit larger.  I started out on Century class years ago, and had issues a number of times.  Then had fewer issues on M class, and fewer still on S class.  So for me that is a very big factor.  I know every sailing is different, but have sailed more than 60 times and this has been my experience vis a vis ship's size.

The other thing I would wonder about is entertainment options onboard.  I like having more venues to choose from, and I enjoy many of the production shows and different guest entertainers.  I do like to meet and get to know my fellow travelers, which would likely be easier on a smaller sized ship so I guess I am missing out on that aspect.  Perhaps the service is more personalized also, but even when I don't sail in suites (which is usually the case), I have always found Celebrity service to be outstanding, with very few exceptions.  I am also happy with the food in general - we usually eat in Blu and I find the food very good to excellent.  

Been on Crystal several times . Entertainment is beyond anything X offers . 

33 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I wonder if part of what you document above is engineering progress decade by decade, rather than having to do with ship size.

9 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wonder if part of what you document above is engineering progress decade by decade, rather than having to do with ship size.

I hadn't given that any thought.  I've taken several northern route TAs from the UK in awful weather.  The most recent Silhouette should have been a doozy but even though we couldn't use the decks and our furniture was lashed down, the motion itself wasn't too bad.  I felt more on the Connie in heavy seas.  I actually like heavy seas (the motion of the ocean as they say) so I know I'm on a ship.  Rocks me to sleep.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That is an interesting point.  Would like to hear from some other motion sensitive folks who could compare some of the current luxury ships to the M or S class ships.  

I have cruised all on all lines except NCL, Viking and Cunard. 

I am still a fan of Celebrity but the prices for suites are too high. A better value with Oceania or Seabourn. 

I do enjoy the Edge class ship with the four dining rooms. My next cruise is on Celebrity Apex in sunset veranda. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

I have cruised all on all lines except NCL, Viking and Cunard. 

I am still a fan of Celebrity but the prices for suites are too high. A better value with Oceania or Seabourn. 

I do enjoy the Edge class ship with the four dining rooms. My next cruise is on Celebrity Apex in sunset veranda. 

Question.  So a 12 day cruise for 2 on APEX in a Celebrity suite, includes streaming WiFi, premium bev package, gratuities and $800 OBC and costs $14k.  I realize can’t probably do exact apples to apples but am curious to know if you have an idea of how the cost compares to something similar on Oceania or Seabourn.  TIA!!

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Question.  So a 12 day cruise for 2 on APEX in a Celebrity suite, includes streaming WiFi, premium bev package, gratuities and $800 OBC and costs $14k.  I realize can’t probably do exact apples to apples but am curious to know if you have an idea of how the cost compares to something similar on Oceania or Seabourn.  TIA!!

I did a quick look for you. This is on O Riviera ship for 12 day in Feb. 22 in the Caribbean. Their larger ship and it is beautiful.

Free airfare, 6 free shore excursions, free beverage package, and $600 OBC.

COMPARE SUITE CATEGORY BROCHURE
FARE
OLIFE FARE
W/AIRFARE
CRUISE ONLY
FARE
DECK(S) SUITE SIZE
SQ FT / SQ M
AVAILABILITY
  Suites
OS - Owner’s Suite $38,798 $17,499 $16,699 8, 9, 10 2,000 / 185 WAIT LIST
VS - Vista Suite $28,498 $12,349 $11,549 8, 9, 10, 12 1,200-1,500 / 111-139 WAIT LIST
OC - Oceania Suite $25,398 $10,799 $9,999 11, 12 1,000 / 92 WAIT LIST
PH1 - Penthouse Suite $17,498 $6,849

36 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I did a quick look for you. This is on O Riviera ship for 12 day in Feb. 22 in the Caribbean. Their larger ship and it is beautiful.

FARE
OLIFE FARE
W/AIRFARE
CRUISE ONLY
FARE
DECK(S) SUITE SIZE
SQ FT / SQ M
AVAILABILITY
  Suites
  VS - Vista Suite $28,498 $12,349 $11,549 8, 9, 10, 12 1,200-1,500 / 111-139 WAIT LIST

One note, you get to pick 1 of the 3 OLife options rather than getting all 3 included in the cruise fare. And they are not free. If you choose not to include the OLife option, the cruise fare will be reduced by the exact same amount as the OLife (nonrefundable) OBC option. 

• Thanks 2

In the end it's all about individual preferences and the experience offered. I have noticed quite a few long time, loyal passengers of Celebrity participating on the boards of the luxury lines. I understand why Celebrity needed to raise prices and reduce some of their loyalty benefits, but in doing this they've narrowed to gap in price compared to Crystal, Oceania, etc. to make them more attractive and competitive with Celebrity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

FARE
OLIFE FARE
W/AIRFARE
CRUISE ONLY
FARE
DECK(S) SUITE SIZE
SQ FT / SQ M
AVAILABILITY
  Suites

Wow, thank you so very much for doing this, much appreciated!!