The Daily for Wednesday May 12, 2021

richwmn

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Jacqui. Thank you for Roy Report. Great job on your first day in office!  One of my hosta has a healthy root system but the leaves are thumb sized. The rest are flourishing..

did you have a dry season last year?  If so, the one suffering might be needing water.  Try watering it for a few days if that is the case.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a life changing illness, one that a friend suffers, one that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.  God bless the nurses - they're heroes without capes.  Limericks - ah, how many have we heard, but how many can we repeat ? ? 

Another beautiful day here on the "frozen tundra" - yesterday I took a chance and potted a few plants to put in front of our house.  When the temps dip below freezing, we can either cover them up or drag the pots into the garage for the night.  My neighbour said I'm really living on the edge.  LOL

DS got his Moderna shot on Monday and spent yesterday in bed - headache and said his whole upper body felt stiff, as if he'd spent the day before working out.  It will be interesting to see what happens when he receives his second dose.

Great suggestion for dinner tonight, but I don't have any steak available right now - I think tonight is going to be a rotisserie chicken and chop-chop salad, as we're heading out for groceries today.  And wine.

We haven't been to today's port (nor a whole lot of others that have been featured on this board), but I was able to find a lot of stock photos of it.  It's an atoll in the Central Pacific and it looks absolutely idyllic!  

The Christmas Island (Pacific) Local Stamps and Postal History

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy as you prep for Friday's surgery.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list, and to @Kazu for taking over Roy's lists for us.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I think summer has arrived. We had such great weather the past few weeks was hoping it would last longer. Oh well, the price we pay!

A big salute to Nurses all over the world. They certainly deserve our gratitude especially this year.

Both meal suggestions are good ones. Will have to decide.

Have not been to Christmas Island but it is on our scheduled itinerary for 2022. Hope we make it!

There is a Carnival ship at Port Canaveral this AM. First time in a long time. Maybe getting the vaccine?  Not sure. Will have to check it out.

Thank you for lists and Kazu for filling in for Roy.

Roy-  stay strong. You remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KirkNC said:

Happy Wednesday!  We love steak fajitas, I make them with a marinated flank steak, yum.

That's what I was thinking of doing.  It requires a trip to the grocery, so it may be a meal for the weekend.

• Like 11

Good morning Dailyites! Rich thank you so much for the Daily. We sure have flourished over the past year. Roy we've put you at the top of our prayer list. All will go well, and Jacqui will post a huge "surgery for Roy was a success" post! You could be playing the piano again in no time! (Old joke..)

Ann I think I'd like today's wine. It's going on my list. I'm surprised so many of the wines you review are available at our HEB market. 

image.png.6d0d6f9e76f5761d4455217625311174.png

I have 5 Mahjongg students this afternoon who are coming along pretty well. It is a cool foggy morning. High today of 66. Looks like rain starting Saturday and continuing for a week. Hoping the rain makes beautiful flowers pop up soon!

Blessings,  Prayers and Cheers.

• Like 22

Good morning all!

This is our 4th and last full day here in Yellowstone. 

I just wanted to pop in and let Roy @rafinmdknow he’s in my prayers for a successful surgery on Friday and a rapid recovery. I know you’ll come through with flying colors!  Thank you @kazufor filling in!

We’ve seen 2 black bears, 3 Grizzlies and a moose so far along with the usual spring time baby bison (my favorite). Will start driving home tomorrow. Here are a few photos. 

BF706B11-606A-4EF5-BD8D-E929A4143F52.jpeg

582D9E1C-9A95-40AC-8D91-59873114BFD1.jpeg

5608B18E-FB34-4996-A642-68710F692271.jpeg

B44A4697-5766-4B26-BB6E-FDC3AF2CAB78.jpeg

• Like 30

👍Thank You for the Daily, Rich. @kazuJacqui, appreciate the Care List with special prayers for Roy.

Our Maasdam 🚢Mar. 2020 out of Papeete had a stop to Christmas Island but no excursions listed. We had planned on just soaking up some sand and maybe a swim.🏊‍♀️🏊‍♂️ We all know what happened to cruising in 2020!🙃

Theme of the World Nursing Day this year is 'A Vision for future healthcare'.....💗💗💗 all nurses!

Prayers for all in need.🙏

Katie

20210512_063322.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Today's photo is a sunset from my 2019 round trip transatlantic, Eastbound on Nieuw Statendam and returning on Cunard.  On May 12 I transferred from Queen Victoria to Queen Mary 2 in Southampton.

dusk0512.jpg

Roy

• Like 30

Just hanging out on CC this morning waiting for some photos of Kiritimati.  So decided to see where we might have been the last time we were sailing on May12.

On 5/12/2019 Prinsendam visited Portree on the Isle of Skye in Scotland.  If Jacqui was still on board during this segment, she will surely remember this port.enhance

enhance

enhance

Heading back to our tender we spotted these fellows sorting their crab catch.  enhance

Happy days!

• Like 30

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

On 5/12/2019 Prinsendam visited Portree on the Isle of Skye in Scotland.  If Jacqui was still on board during this segment, she will surely remember this port.

Great pics!  Thanks.  We’ll be there next year, Covid willing 🤞 

• Like 9

Afternoon to all Dailyites and lurkers. 

We are just back from a regular check up with DW's oncologist.  He changed her hormone medication as she has been having some unpleasant side effects from the originally prescribed med.

Best wishes to Roy @rafinmd for a successful surgery and complete recovery.   Thanks to @kazu for becoming 'Minder of the Lists' on a temporary basis.

As it is Limerick day, I put pen to paper (remember when you actually would write on paper??) and came up with this......

Sending best wishes to Roy,

May his recovery bring him some joy,

Meanwhile thankyou,

For the work by kazu,

But we still need you back soon again, boy!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Happy Wednesday,  friends!

Jacqui, I have an update on DH for the Care List. Yesterday, he had more MRIs of the brain. The two lesions detected two weeks ago have grown aggressively,  so the doctors are recommending five days of targeted intense radiation to shrink them to the point of elimination.  DH agrees, so the treatments will start tomorrow.  Prayers welcomed!!

Thanks!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Jacqui, I have an update on DH for the Care List. Yesterday, he had more MRIs of the brain. The two lesions detected two weeks ago have grown aggressively,  so the doctors are recommending five days of targeted intense radiation to shrink them to the point of elimination.  DH agrees, so the treatments will start tomorrow.  Prayers welcomed!!

Thanks!

🙏

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  I'll post our pictures of today's port and then go back and read the Daily.  FYI, there are two Christmas Islands, and today's port is the one in the Pacific very close to the equator.  The other is in the Indian Ocean and is under the authority of Australia.  On trivia questions, it is the one in the Indian Ocean they are asking about as Christmas Island is it's only name.

We've been to Kiritimati (Christmas Island) Kiribati at least three times. This is a tender port, with the ships anchoring in the lagoon.  It is very shallow in places, and the tender drivers have to be extremely careful.  However, that was not enough as one tender ran aground, and it took a while to get it refloated.  Fortunately, we were not on that tender.

The first time there was in 1997, so no pictures from that stop.  I'll see if DH has videos of the sunset that day since it as the best sunset we've ever seen.  The water was glassy and you could see the clouds looking like they were rising from below the curvature of the earth.  They were not thick clouds and we were able to see the sun set and IIFC the green flash.

Christmas Island is a fairly undeveloped island.  These pictures are from our 2007 b2b Hawaii-Tahiti-Hawaii cruise on Pacific Princess.

As we left the dock the pre-school class was there to serenade us.

IMG_1302.thumb.JPG.8158c897830c0f493023f628abb457f9.JPG

The local "tour bus" we picked up at the dock for a tour of the island.  Notice the "sturdy step" to help get in the truck.   In 1997, they had a old school bus donated by the state of Hawaii as their tour bus, complete with a view of the road as you passed over it. 😀

IMG_1315.thumb.JPG.6fefcba1926d75654caf33abadc65c93.JPG

At the other end of the road is the Captain Cool Hotel, the only one on the island.  It offers air conditioned rooms and non-air conditioned rooms.  Fishermen would fly in for a week's fishing trip.  It was a week long trip, since the only flight was a weekly one from Hawaii, as of 2007.

IMG_1317.thumb.JPG.1c697925460f147c26974164c9e05bc6.JPG

IMG_1319.thumb.JPG.734073f70f3abcee5fa823ecd3f97c78.JPG

IMG_1320.thumb.JPG.6d321099aff0e91d10886215d4783a89.JPG

IMG_1324.thumb.JPG.58bf444cbdab6c9176b375751e019f23.JPG

The beach at the hotel.

IMG_1313.thumb.JPG.2c5d27db35240329ce8f06329cc680c9.JPG

Where some of the islanders live

IMG_1328.thumb.JPG.96fe387f48f6b63b5ce90030499b6f79.JPG

Back from our tour, some of the adults put on a show for us.

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.0e536b90f1dcd161524e3e2b2cc1ce1a.JPG

They even had an Internet Cafe, with very slow speeds.

IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.93b26efe74f10a114b194afed6a2ab79.JPG

The shopping for the tourists

IMG_1674.thumb.JPG.4afa55f3d7bb30b2a0da24d031cace50.JPG

Add the shopping for the locals, but of course, they would take our money too.

IMG_1340.thumb.JPG.adfcab2c7c50792bb2c8b18aa2d6f97c.JPG

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.e5efc9f701ef1fad2e044e21c1879a56.JPG

Looking down the beach from the dock

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.827456854bad5db5a7af34222bf72f0d.JPG

If you ever see an itinerary with Christmas Island, it is well worth a visit.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thanks!

Prayers and best wishes on the way.

Susan

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thanks!

Oh NO!  I hope the radiation can help 🤞 He’s in all of our prayers 🙏🏻 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  I’m going to have to research fatigue syndrome day. Nurses around the world are the true heroes.  My BIL has some antique Victorian books of truly filthy limericks, couldn’t share even the cleanest ones here! Fajitas sound nice but it’s vegetarian night here so we’ll pass.  Funny quote today.  Prayers to all in need especially Roy as he preps for surgery.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations including the jabbers.

For our vegetarian family members, we have mashed, seasoned back beans as their protein source when we have fajitas.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thanks!

Can't get myself to Like that post due to the latest update on your DH, but I am glad to hear they are getting right to it with the intense radiation tomorrow.  You certainly wouldn't want to have to wait a long while for that.  Prayers for your DH's treatment and for yourself as his caregiver.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning.  I'll post our pictures of today's port and then go back and read the Daily.

We've been to Kiritimati (Christmas Island) Kiribati at least three times. This is a tender port, with the ships anchoring in the lagoon.  It is very shallow in places, and the tender drivers have to be extremely careful.  However, that was not enough as one tender ran aground, and it took a while to get it refloated.  Fortunately, we were not on that tender.

The first time there was in 1997, so no pictures from that stop.  I'll see if DH has videos of the sunset that day since it as the best sunset we've ever seen.  The water was glassy and you could see the clouds looking like they were rising from below the curvature of the earth.  They were not thick clouds and we were able to see the sun set and IIFC the green flash.

Christmas Island is a fairly undeveloped island.  These pictures are from our 2007 b2b Hawaii-Tahiti-Hawaii cruise on Pacific Princess.

As we left the dock the pre-school class was there to serenade us.

IMG_1302.thumb.JPG.8158c897830c0f493023f628abb457f9.JPG

The local "tour bus" we picked up at the dock for a tour of the island.  Notice the "sturdy step" to help get in the truck.   In 1997, they had a old school bus donated by the state of Hawaii as their tour bus, complete with a view of the road as you passed over it. 😀

IMG_1315.thumb.JPG.6fefcba1926d75654caf33abadc65c93.JPG

At the other end of the road is the Captain Cool Hotel, the only one on the island.  It offers air conditioned rooms and non-air conditioned rooms.  Fishermen would fly in for a week's fishing trip.  It was a week long trip, since the only flight was a weekly one from Hawaii, as of 2007.

IMG_1317.thumb.JPG.1c697925460f147c26974164c9e05bc6.JPG

IMG_1319.thumb.JPG.734073f70f3abcee5fa823ecd3f97c78.JPG

IMG_1320.thumb.JPG.6d321099aff0e91d10886215d4783a89.JPG

IMG_1324.thumb.JPG.58bf444cbdab6c9176b375751e019f23.JPG

The beach at the hotel.

IMG_1313.thumb.JPG.2c5d27db35240329ce8f06329cc680c9.JPG

Where some of the islanders live

IMG_1328.thumb.JPG.96fe387f48f6b63b5ce90030499b6f79.JPG

Back from our tour, some of the adults put on a show for us.

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.0e536b90f1dcd161524e3e2b2cc1ce1a.JPG

They even had an Internet Cafe, with very slow speeds.

IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.93b26efe74f10a114b194afed6a2ab79.JPG

The shopping for the tourists

IMG_1674.thumb.JPG.4afa55f3d7bb30b2a0da24d031cace50.JPG

Add the shopping for the locals, but of course, they would take our money too.

IMG_1340.thumb.JPG.adfcab2c7c50792bb2c8b18aa2d6f97c.JPG

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.e5efc9f701ef1fad2e044e21c1879a56.JPG

Looking down the beach from the dock

IMG_1679.thumb.JPG.827456854bad5db5a7af34222bf72f0d.JPG

If you ever see an itinerary with Christmas Island, it is well worth a visit.

Lenda

Nice picture of Christmas Island.  Reminds me of Fanning Island but bigger and more developed.  Thanks for posting them and so glad to see someone here has been there to visit.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Thanks!

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Prayers headed your way.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1