The Daily for Tuesday May 18, 2021

richwmn

6 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Does anyone else remember when HAL used to do an "Art Tour" around the ship on a sea day.  It was always so interesting to learn about the art installations, the statues, and the background on the ideas that guided the theme of the decor.  I always felt it was a mini-museum tour!  Wish that was still an option--certainly not an expensive offering from the ship's viewpoint!

Back in the day when they were offered, I always got the gizmo and did it.  It was really interesting.  At the end, you could even download them to your own IPod on the website.

I don’t understand why HAL stopped it at all.  It was a great way to spend part of a sea day and often, you discovered art you hadn’t seen yet.  Especially nice on the older ships.

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like museums. My sink has some dirty dishes so I'd better tend to that. Sadly, I have no living relatives to visit.

I like the meal (sans carbs) and wine.

I have been to Montreal, but not on a cruise. My first time was as a child for the Expo '67 World's Fair.

It's a beautiful sunny and warm day today. Time to set my cacti out side for the summer.

I'm feeling pretty good. No more fevers. My arms and legs feel sort of rubbery at time; not sure what that's about. I saw my PCP's PA this morning. Nothing to really report. It's felt I likely had some viral illness that is now resolving. No real explanation for the high D-Dimer level. The Ophthalmologist called and the orbit CT was negative. Again no explanation for the conjunctival swelling except inflammation, since it has improved some after a short course of high dose steroids. Fingers crossed that I may be able to be scheduled for cataract surgery when I see them next month.

@kazu I can be removed from the care list. Thanks.

@DeeniEncinitas Beautiful painting

@USN59-79 It's hard to believe it's been that long since the eruption. Someone gave me a little doodad that's made from the ash; it's ugly but I keep it for what it's made of.

@rafinmd Thanks for thinking of me. I had my appointment late morning, and then shortly after getting home, the power went out for unknown reasons.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

That is really good news.  Delighted to hear it.  Hoping you can get your cataract surgery, too 🤞 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like museums. My sink has some dirty dishes so I'd better tend to that. Sadly, I have no living relatives to visit.

I like the meal (sans carbs) and wine.

I have been to Montreal, but not on a cruise. My first time was as a child for the Expo '67 World's Fair.

It's a beautiful sunny and warm day today. Time to set my cacti out side for the summer.

I'm feeling pretty good. No more fevers. My arms and legs feel sort of rubbery at time; not sure what that's about. I saw my PCP's PA this morning. Nothing to really report. It's felt I likely had some viral illness that is now resolving. No real explanation for the high D-Dimer level. The Ophthalmologist called and the orbit CT was negative. Again no explanation for the conjunctival swelling except inflammation, since it has improved some after a short course of high dose steroids. Fingers crossed that I may be able to be scheduled for cataract surgery when I see them next month.

@kazu I can be removed from the care list. Thanks.

@DeeniEncinitas Beautiful painting

@USN59-79 It's hard to believe it's been that long since the eruption. Someone gave me a little doodad that's made from the ash; it's ugly but I keep it for what it's made of.

@rafinmd Thanks for thinking of me. I had my appointment late morning, and then shortly after getting home, the power went out for unknown reasons.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

Glad you are feeling better.  It's always good news when someone can be taken off the care list.  Hope they find what the eye problem is and finally get it resolved.  Glad the steroids helped the situation.  Hope you're approved for the cataract surgery.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Wow....that must have been amazing.  Baker has always been "our local mountain" as you know.  My Dad climbed to the top when he was in his 40's -- I sure hope it never blows (at least for a long, long time). 

Yeah, well I keep PNSN (Pacific Northwest Seismic Network) bookmarked and watch Baker closely.  Today it's listed under "volcanoes without recent seismicity".  However, that's not always the case. Sometimes it's shakin'.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, kazu said:

That is really good news.  Delighted to hear it.  Hoping you can get your cataract surgery, too 🤞 

Thanks. Due to my chronic uveitis, I haven't been able to get surgery yet, and can only count fingers with that eye. The uveitis had finally settled a bit when this new issue came up. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

We're even closer --- in Bremerton.  I think we still have a bottle of ash in our garage.

Didn't know we had a neighbor here.  We are in Silverdale.

Considering the artwork on the BHBs:  When I think of the loss of the Amsterdam to another cruise line, I always wonder what happened to the artwork on board her.  

Ray and Sara

• Like 10

😎Good Afternoon...back from PT and iced arm. Will return Thursday for more exercises and continue twice a week with recommendations. 🙃

📚One of my favorite authors is Canadian Louise Penny. 👍Her mysteries are mostly set in the province of Québec and I was hooked after reading Still Life in 2005.

Katie

• Like 11

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

For us in the Pacific NW, today is a day of remembrance.  41 years ago today Mt. St Helens blew its top. 

I was raised in the Pacific NW and have lived here most of my life, but when Mt. St. Helens blew we happened to be living in Maine. We got a small amount of ash fallout a few days later in Limerick.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Concerning museums:  I wonder if most people are like us.  Love to visit them and similar attractions when travelling, but seldom visit the ones at home.  For example, I have enjoyed the aquarium in Singapore and Yokohama, but have never visited the one in Seattle.  Visited the zoo in Sydney, but not the one in Seattle for more than 40 years.

When things start reopening you might want to take a trip to Tacoma for some pretty wonderful museums, a world-class zoo and aquarium (Point Defiance), etc. With the "aroma of Tacoma" mostly gone (paper mills, Hygrade meat processing plant, and chemical plants) Tacoma has blossomed into something special. 

• Like 7

Thanks for the advice.  I hadn't considered visiting them.  The last time I was in Tacoma was when I was in the wrong lane on I-5 and missed my exit to Bremerton.  It wasn't easy to get out of town.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, garlictown said:

😎Good Afternoon...back from PT and iced arm. Will return Thursday for more exercises and continue twice a week with recommendations. 🙃

📚One of my favorite authors is Canadian Louise Penny. 👍Her mysteries are mostly set in the province of Québec and I was hooked after reading Still Life in 2005.

Katie

We visited knowlton Quebec two years ago, it is the town of three pines in her books. It is a pretty little town.

ED10C103-244E-432E-A93A-EC0B729B9F42.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I hadn't considered visiting them.  The last time I was in Tacoma was when I was in the wrong lane on I-5 and missed my exit to Bremerton.  It wasn't easy to get out of town.

I-5 traffic can still be pretty bad around the dome. There are many ways to get back to Narrows Bridge if you know the city, many of them with water views. I was born in Tacoma (my name is on the Wall of Fame at Tacoma General), raised in Ruston, lived for many years on Anderson Island in the South Sound, and travel through Tacoma quite a bit still as we have homes in both Skykomish and Westport, WA.

The new LeMay-America's Car Museum is worth a stop. The Washington History Museum, Museum of Glass, and Tacoma Art Museum are also worthy of mention. If you like living history, they have some reenactments you might travel down to Fort Nisqually to enjoy (Fort was moved to Point Defiance Park from the Nisqually Delta). While at Point Defiance Park you will want to check out the Japanese Gardens, the zoo and aquarium, and Five-Mile Drive. The Park is run by Tacoma Metropolitan Park District and is one of the best city parks I have encountered anywhere. It is over 750 acres with the Puget Sound surrounding it on a few sides. 

• Like 8

Good morning everyone. It’s Wednesday morning here, and a beautiful sunny day, but cold. By our standards anyway! It’s 11 degrees C outside. 
Our area is sometimes classed as ‘drought affected’, and certainly when we first moved here we were in the middle of an eight year drought. So we became used to saving as much water as we could. Having a bucket in the shower, using the washing machine water on the garden, and only washing up in the kitchen once a day. Now, I still save as many dishes as I can in the kitchen sink, out of sight, and only wash up in the evening, this drives DH mad, as he is a much better house keeper than me and likes everything tidy! Stay well everyone

• Like 16