Victoria dropped from September 2021 Alaska Cruise

HAL4NOW

We are booked on an Alaska Cruise in September of 2021 that has not been cancelled. HAL changed the ships a month ago, from Eurodam to Nieuw Amsterdam, and we have received a new booking number. The itinerary stayed almost identical with one interesting change. Victoria, BC, has been dropped as a port stop. Nothing was added to replace that stop, so it appears the ship will just go slower and take longer to arrive in Seattle.

• Like 4

No way it can stop in Victoria while the Canadian Government continues their no sailing in Canadian waters and ports until November 2021. Canada has shown zero support for changing this. This has been covered for months on CC and the news.

• Like 1

There have been articles in the local paper the last few days bemoaning the fact that our tourism industry is going to suffer forever if the cruise ships can't dock here.   Suggesting allowing a "technical stop", etc.  There was a letter to the editor today saying we don't want a cruise ship bringing in Covid.  My feeling is that you really don't want to come here right now - we're the ones who might infect you!  The land border will remain closed now until June 21 (just extended another month) - who knows what will happen then.  The federal order remains that our waters are closed until February 2022, but I suppose this might possibly change.

• Like 1

It's a moot point - the bill just passed the House and as soon as Biden signs this, ships can sail to/from Alaska without the required foreign stop this season!  YAY!!!

US House passes bill allowing large cruise ships to visit Alaska this summer; Biden expected to sign - Anchorage Daily News (adn.com)

Edited by zelker
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, zelker said:

It's a moot point - the bill just passed the House and as soon as Biden signs this, ships can sail to/from Alaska without the required foreign stop this season!  YAY!!!

US House passes bill allowing large cruise ships to visit Alaska this summer; Biden expected to sign - Anchorage Daily News (adn.com)

Great news and now it will be Canada that will suffer from the loss of tourism dollars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

We are booked on an Alaska Cruise in September of 2021 that has not been cancelled. HAL changed the ships a month ago, from Eurodam to Nieuw Amsterdam, and we have received a new booking number. The itinerary stayed almost identical with one interesting change. Victoria, BC, has been dropped as a port stop. Nothing was added to replace that stop, so it appears the ship will just go slower and take longer to arrive in Seattle.

I noticed this as well for our September Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, I am actually hoping they revise the time it Ketchikan, that 1 p.m. departure was always so they could make it to Victoria Friday afternoon. With not needing that it would be nice to stay a few more hours unless the berth is needed for another ship. But with the far less ships I am thinking that might not be a problem.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zelker said:

They can? I think the CDC still has a say in this. But I expect that, given the Florida v CDC lawsuit is in mediation, a resolution that would open up cruising would be reached here in the next couple of weeks.

Then there is the ramp up time for ships. And all staff needs to get vaccinated, I assume. As mentioned on other threads, the vaccination process has just begun, with a few returning staff starting to trickle in.

4 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

The itinerary stayed almost identical with one interesting change. Victoria, BC, has been dropped as a port stop. Nothing was added to replace that stop, so it appears the ship will just go slower and take longer to arrive in Seattle.

Did your port charges change as well?

• Like 1

Interesting, we have a July 21 RT Seattle voyage on the Eurodam - got the letter indicating that they were switching us to the NA within 30 days but have not received a new confirmation number yet.  I'm guessing that means our cruise will be canceled.

27 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

My September cruise is locked up by HAL, they are still working on the switch over from Eurodam to Nieuw Amsterdam. Possibly those booked for the last week of July or Early August the audit and all corrections have been completed, As of right now the taxes are exactly the same as they were when it was the Eurodam and Victoria was still on the itinerary.

• Like 1

Just now, cruisingrob21 said:

Interesting, we have a July 21 RT Seattle voyage on the Eurodam - got the letter indicating that they were switching us to the NA within 30 days but have not received a new confirmation number yet.  I'm guessing that means our cruise will be canceled.

You can log into your Holland America account to find it, I do not think they have sent out anything official yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

As of right now the taxes are exactly the same as they were when it was the Eurodam and Victoria was still on the itinerary.

It maybe another situation where you board with credit!

We are booked for August 29th 2021 to Alaska so your post looks like great news.  Been squirming for months hoping our cruise was not to be cancelled.  Oh what a feeling and I don't even drive a Toyota.   Hope you have an enjoyable cruise.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

You can log into your Holland America account to find it, I do not think they have sent out anything official yet.

Still have the old number and still shows our voyage.  Probably figuring out the logistics of moving everyone over.  Since we are a party of 4 that makes things more challenging.

1 minute ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Still have the old number and still shows our voyage.  Probably figuring out the logistics of moving everyone over.  Since we are a party of 4 that makes things more challenging.

Were you booked for the Oosterdam? Because we were booked in September for the Eurodam because it has been about 3 weeks now that they moved us to the Nieuw Amsterdam and assigned a new reservation number. It is my understanding that the Oosterdam sailings on Sunday are being canceled and those that were booked will be moved to the Saturday sailings of the Nieuw Amsterdam if they so wish. HAL is also requiring everyone to be fully vaccinated including crew so they expect some cancellations. Which is why they are opening up booking these Saturday sailings tomorrow. I am thinking they will have to be guarantees though because if they are going to offer those that were to be on the Oosterdam to move over for same category that will be a bit more difficult if they allow open booking tomorrow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

The "Est'd Taxes, Fees, and Port Expenses" remained the same for booking purposes. I know that in the past if a port is missed the money gets reimbursed to the card it was charged to. 

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Did you check on your Holland America online account? We didn't receive an email from HAL about the new booking number, but it does show up on our account online. We have the same cabin assogned on the Nieuw Amsterdam as we had on the Eurodam. All of our perks were carried over. Shore Excursions are not available for sale yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Were you booked for the Oosterdam? Because we were booked in September for the Eurodam because it has been about 3 weeks now that they moved us to the Nieuw Amsterdam and assigned a new reservation number. It is my understanding that the Oosterdam sailings on Sunday are being canceled and those that were booked will be moved to the Saturday sailings of the Nieuw Amsterdam if they so wish. HAL is also requiring everyone to be fully vaccinated including crew so they expect some cancellations. Which is why they are opening up booking these Saturday sailings tomorrow. I am thinking they will have to be guarantees though because if they are going to offer those that were to be on the Oosterdam to move over for same category that will be a bit more difficult if they allow open booking tomorrow. 

Nope - still showing Eurodam, July 10th departure... 🤪

image.png.c4f7c89aa7b0339bb63d20af770e9313.png

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

My feeling is that you really don't want to come here right now - we're the ones who might infect you! 

I don't think so.  Most recent 7-day average for new daily Covid cases per million people:

U.S. : 91 per million

Vancouver Island: 15 per million

Plus Canada just passed the U.S. in the % of total population receiving a first vaccine dose.  By late July, Canada will likely be far ahead on this measure.

Edited by westcoaster

3 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

we used to get reimbursed thru obc

We already have $675 each in OBC. Our HSC (gratuities) are covered, Signature Beverage Package covered, Specialty Dining and 7-Day Premium Internet Package covered. I think my DW will be enjoying some spa time with her sister (DW's sister and BIL will be able to sail with us because of the "Buy One Gift One" promotion). After having four cruises cancelled by HAL and one by NCL, she deserves some spa time on the sea days.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Nope - still showing Eurodam, July 10th departure... 🤪

image.png.c4f7c89aa7b0339bb63d20af770e9313.png

Unfortunately that is because you have been canceled, I am guessing you will be given an opportunity to booked one of the other sailings on the Nieuw Amsterdam and hopefully they protect your pricing, the first sailing starts July 24th.

• Like 1